Kmart Check Cashing Policy

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kmart Shopper

Lewisburg, TN

#1 Dec 24, 2008
After having a check denied at Kmart in Cookeville, I called my bank. My bank told me there were no inquiries on my account and I have a very good history of keeping my account up.

Kmart printed an 800 number on my check and told me to call that number..... I WILL NOT DO IT, they only need to know if the check is good and if they haven't contacted my bank then I wonder why not. The check was good, my ID was good, I had plenty of money in the bank and they didn't even check it...

Kmart management said a third party that Sears hired, handles their check cashing policies and that it denies people's checks almost at random.... If Kmart can't accept checks as a Form of payment because they do not have adequate and competent resources, Kmart needs to abandon checks as a form of payment and stop embarrassing people. Others in line behind me don't know if I was trying to pass a bad check or not. I shouldn't care but one of the people in line behind me was a loan officer at a bank.

I've been told that Kmart denies checks from people with purchases of certain kind and amounts so that they can establish communications of certain profiles for some kind of advanced marketing schemes.... I don't know if that is true, but I will save myself future embarrassment and not purchase using a check at Kmart.
not catchin me

Atlanta, GA

#2 Dec 24, 2008
Wait a minute.... you went to Kmart.... ha ha ha when did they even get the technology to scan items.... wow they are upgrading. My advice.... don't admit you went to Kmart!
Jen

Cookeville, TN

#3 Dec 28, 2008
Kmart Shopper wrote:
After having a check denied at Kmart in Cookeville, I called my bank. My bank told me there were no inquiries on my account and I have a very good history of keeping my account up.
Kmart printed an 800 number on my check and told me to call that number..... I WILL NOT DO IT, they only need to know if the check is good and if they haven't contacted my bank then I wonder why not. The check was good, my ID was good, I had plenty of money in the bank and they didn't even check it...
Kmart management said a third party that Sears hired, handles their check cashing policies and that it denies people's checks almost at random.... If Kmart can't accept checks as a Form of payment because they do not have adequate and competent resources, Kmart needs to abandon checks as a form of payment and stop embarrassing people. Others in line behind me don't know if I was trying to pass a bad check or not. I shouldn't care but one of the people in line behind me was a loan officer at a bank.
I've been told that Kmart denies checks from people with purchases of certain kind and amounts so that they can establish communications of certain profiles for some kind of advanced marketing schemes.... I don't know if that is true, but I will save myself future embarrassment and not purchase using a check at Kmart.
That exact thing happened to me at Sears a couple years ago. I had written checks at other checkouts that day at Sears. Then went to make a $30 purchase and it denied my check. I had the manager come and raised cain. I'd been a customer for years, written checks that day as I was Christmas shopping, and to not accept my 30 check? Kmart and Sears are now the same company too. I was told the exact same thing you were. I no longer shop there because I don't want the hassle or embarrassment. Just so happened I had run into an old high school acquaintance after 20 yrs. and was talking to her when my check was refused and I had to call the manager! I REFUSE TO GO BACK AND AM STILL ANGRY AFTER 2 YEARS!
Debitguy

Cookeville, TN

#4 Jan 5, 2009
Go to your bank get a debit card most banks they are free. never have that problem again.
yepp

Oakland, CA

#5 Jan 5, 2009
Debitguy wrote:
Go to your bank get a debit card most banks they are free. never have that problem again.
I totally agree! Cookeville Kmart is going out of business anyway sdo that will help too.
Wannabe

Columbia, SC

#6 Jan 5, 2009
Look I am manager of a place that goes by this type of check policy. If the register tells us not to take the check we cannot do it. It is not our faults when the check is declined. It could be several different reasons for declining, the most reason everyone thinks is because we think the check is bad..which we know nothing about you so we can't say whether you have money or not..you may have millions and look like trash....you may have none and look like millions. Your bank may limit your spendings for the day if it is an electronic debit, the amount of your purchase may be something that triggers for meth labs or something. Any of the reasons is not cause you don't have money. Also this could have been a system error, which could be blamed on the computers we are all depending on now. In any case it probably was out of the cashiers hands or the managers hands.
Jen

Cookeville, TN

#7 Jan 5, 2009
Debitguy wrote:
I had a debit card and I also had a credit card. It was the principle. I had written checks there for years and several that day. My check was randomly refused for no reason. I even called the company on the spot with the manager there and they said I didn't have bad credit or bad checks. They just had no history on me they said. They couldn't explain how I had written a check for a refrigerator and a treadmill and they accepted that but refused a $30 check for a jacket - all in the same day. The manager over rode the denial and my check was accepted. It was just the hassle and embarrassment of it all. I was completely blindsided and I tend to confront issues so no way was I going to use my debit card or credit card. I was determined they would accept my check and would have called every manager at every level if that is what it took. lol!(I no longer write checks...but back then the debit cards were not as common)
Debitguy

Cookeville, TN

#8 Jan 5, 2009
The thing that annoys me is getting behind someone at the checkout with a check and I seem to be lucky at getting behind a check person. they stand there and watch the checker and never offer to even start filling out their check until they are given the total. Then I have to wait for them to fill out check then fill out their register then show their ID. now we wait for them to put everything back. Soon hopefuly checks will be a thing of the past.
I am Woman Hear Me Roar

Cookeville, TN

#9 Jan 5, 2009
You know, I don't think there is a time limit on finishing a transaction when you are making a purchase. Even when I use my debit card, I secure all my belongings back in my purse and be sure all is zipped and closed. What ever happened to patience? Is everyone really in such a big hurry? I'm one of those who, no matter which line I choose, even if it is the shortest, it takes the folks in front of me longer than any other line. I've learned to just relax and wait patiently. Sometimes, you can even have a pleasant conversation with the folks in line around you. If you are in a hurry to be somewhere, maybe you should start earlier or shop another day?

Since: Dec 08

Celina, TN

#10 Jan 7, 2009
Telecheck is what we use at my place of work. It has records of all the checks you write at that location. It is done by your DL# not by account number. The records do not tell how much money you have in you account but the likely hood that the check is good. The 1-800 number is so you can find out why they might not accept your check. If you have even written a check for someone else or whatever it is on there. Call the number and have them explain why your check was denied.

Also if you feel comfortable enough get a debit card or carry some cash and this wont happen.
Andrea

Owosso, MI

#11 Nov 22, 2011
Debitguy wrote:
The thing that annoys me is getting behind someone at the checkout with a check and I seem to be lucky at getting behind a check person. they stand there and watch the checker and never offer to even start filling out their check until they are given the total. Then I have to wait for them to fill out check then fill out their register then show their ID. now we wait for them to put everything back. Soon hopefuly checks will be a thing of the past.
May have been a good thing your check was denied, is it possible soeone had gotten ahold of some checks of yours and were writeing bad ones. could be a good reason to call that 800 number
isay

United States

#12 Nov 22, 2011
K-Mart is a dump and doesn't have the proper channel to accept checks period. Couple that with a cashier who is trained to say "no" to everything except cash or cards and you have zero customer service. Sears does that also since they're tied to Krap-Mart. Take your business elsewhere and maybe these subpar stores will tank.
HATE ME again

Cookeville, TN

#13 Nov 22, 2011
isay wrote:
K-Mart is a dump and doesn't have the proper channel to accept checks period. Couple that with a cashier who is trained to say "no" to everything except cash or cards and you have zero customer service. Sears does that also since they're tied to Krap-Mart. Take your business elsewhere and maybe these subpar stores will tank.
Get off the paper and get on the plastic this shouldn't be an issue. Can't stand those folks who stand there and wright out a check for 16.34 get with it and swipe it PERIOD. Thank you for your support
lawl

Clarksville, TN

#14 Nov 22, 2011
HATE ME again wrote:
<quoted text>Get off the paper and get on the plastic this shouldn't be an issue. Can't stand those folks who stand there and wright out a check for 16.34 get with it and swipe it PERIOD. Thank you for your support
Feed the credit machines.

Feed American problems.

Feed Americans poverty? NEVER
isay

United States

#15 Nov 22, 2011
HATE ME again wrote:
<quoted text>Get off the paper and get on the plastic this shouldn't be an issue. Can't stand those folks who stand there and wright out a check for 16.34 get with it and swipe it PERIOD. Thank you for your support
I never use a check at the stores - it's too much of a hassle. If people want to use checks so be it so don't preach to me and it's "write" btw. Neverthless, K-Mart is still a dump and it needs to tank .
HATE ME again

Cookeville, TN

#16 Nov 22, 2011
isay wrote:
<quoted text> I never use a check at the stores - it's too much of a hassle. If people want to use checks so be it so don't preach to me and it's "write" btw. Neverthless, K-Mart is still a dump and it needs to tank .
K=MART will be around after your dead and buried, wasn't preaching just the facts jack and you should make a new plan Stan if your going to correct peoples spelling make sure that your spelling is correct. The word neverthless as you spelled it is missing a letter, so why don't you practice what you preach. PROFESSOR BTW
sam walton

United States

#18 Nov 23, 2011
Why did wooly bullys close?
Yawn

Cookeville, TN

#19 Nov 23, 2011
Quit being idiots. ALL stores use third party services to process checks and debit cards.
Isay

United States

#21 Nov 23, 2011
HATE ME again wrote:
<quoted text>K=MART will be around after your dead and buried, wasn't preaching just the facts jack and you should make a new plan Stan if your going to correct peoples spelling make sure that your spelling is correct. The word neverthless as you spelled it is missing a letter, so why don't you practice what you preach. PROFESSOR BTW
Brainiac, it's K-Mart without the equal sign. I'm glad I touched a nerve ancient one; btw take it easy on the old pump - you might stroke out!
spunkysmum

Maynard, IA

#23 Jul 5, 2012
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a debit card and I also had a credit card. It was the principle. I had written checks there for years and several that day.
It was probably BECAUSE you had already written several checks that day. It's odd they wouldn't have told you that or that explanation wouldn't have come up on their computer display, but stores have a limit on how many checks one person can write to the same store or store chain in one day. I've had this happen before when writing checks at several locations of the same gas/convenience chain in one day. I will bet you dollars to donuts that is what it was. I just think it was stupid they didn't tell you that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump that benefit the ultra-wealthy at the ex... 14 min Sigmund 6
Hacked cellphone 1 hr templeton 2
Thief 1 hr templeton 5
Cell phones 1 hr templeton 8
rehab at signature 1 hr whacker 8
Job Hunting (Aug '14) 12 hr Just-Curious 40
Review: Cash Express Corporate Office (Jun '11) 13 hr Thankful 49

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance