Putnam County School
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Baxter Mom

United States

#1 Apr 6, 2012
I am so feed up on how this county treats Baxter and Montery. Well, Putnam school board aint helping the situation. When the school was built, its was suppose to be built for 1200, that's what is projected o be in hs in Upperman by 2016. They cut 6 million out of the budget at the last minute, so the school only holds 800. It will be at capacity in 2 years. The core of the building is for 1200, but its missing 8 classrooms on each wing. Also they cut the size of the football stadium and field house in half. That is why when we play LA and Smith Co half there fans have to sit on our side. It has been 95 degrees inside the field house all week cause its not ventelated or air condioned. We the parents ask if the could budget the 20,000 need for the air, and they told us to raise the money ourselves...............well read the paper, 32 kids from COOKVILLE are getting 17,441 , to go sing in Boston. That is total bullshitzz. We pay taxes just like they do. We want just as much per student spent on Upperman kids as they do Cookeville high kids. Eric Brown voted yes for the funds for Boston,but told us they have no money for extra curicular activitiesin a meeting two weeks ago. Its all total bs. No wonder the football team does no better. I am feed up with being a second class citizen because I don't live in the Cookeville city limits. Its all total BS.,............and guess what happen to the missing 6 million they cut from Upperman, it built Capshaw a new school. It went from a re-briking project, into they got a totally new school. I bet that damnnn school got air conditioning in ever inch of it.
TRUE

Crossville, TN

#2 Apr 6, 2012
It is a disgusting shame that they lied about not having the money to fix the schools..then turn around and give them that much money..Baxter and Monterey should not ever spend another penny in Cookeville..
Baxter Alumni

United States

#3 Apr 6, 2012
Baxter Mom wrote:
I am so feed up on how this county treats Baxter and Montery. Well, Putnam school board aint helping the situation. When the school was built, its was suppose to be built for 1200, that's what is projected o be in hs in Upperman by 2016. They cut 6 million out of the budget at the last minute, so the school only holds 800. It will be at capacity in 2 years. The core of the building is for 1200, but its missing 8 classrooms on each wing. Also they cut the size of the football stadium and field house in half. That is why when we play LA and Smith Co half there fans have to sit on our side. It has been 95 degrees inside the field house all week cause its not ventelated or air condioned. We the parents ask if the could budget the 20,000 need for the air, and they told us to raise the money ourselves..........well read the paper, 32 kids from COOKVILLE are getting 17,441 , to go sing in Boston. That is total bullshitzz. We pay taxes just like they do. We want just as much per student spent on Upperman kids as they do Cookeville high kids. Eric Brown voted yes for the funds for Boston,but told us they have no money for extra curicular activitiesin a meeting two weeks ago. Its all total bs. No wonder the football team does no better. I am feed up with being a second class citizen because I don't live in the Cookeville city limits. Its all total BS.,........and guess what happen to the missing 6 million they cut from Upperman, it built Capshaw a new school. It went from a re-briking project, into they got a totally new school. I bet that damnnn school got air conditioning in ever inch of it.
Cookeville could never beat Upperman in Boys or girls basketball or baseball/softball. They would in football just because the spend 50 to 1 on each player in comparison. You spend the same amount per players, Upperman whips them in football too. Cookeville players are either silver spooned momma's boys or prissy stuckup whiney girls. That's why the suck.
Please

Crossville, TN

#4 Apr 6, 2012
Baxter Mom wrote:
I am so feed up on how this county treats Baxter and Montery. Well, Putnam school board aint helping the situation. When the school was built, its was suppose to be built for 1200, that's what is projected o be in hs in Upperman by 2016. They cut 6 million out of the budget at the last minute, so the school only holds 800. It will be at capacity in 2 years. The core of the building is for 1200, but its missing 8 classrooms on each wing. Also they cut the size of the football stadium and field house in half. That is why when we play LA and Smith Co half there fans have to sit on our side. It has been 95 degrees inside the field house all week cause its not ventelated or air condioned. We the parents ask if the could budget the 20,000 need for the air, and they told us to raise the money ourselves..........well read the paper, 32 kids from COOKVILLE are getting 17,441 , to go sing in Boston. That is total bullshitzz. We pay taxes just like they do. We want just as much per student spent on Upperman kids as they do Cookeville high kids. Eric Brown voted yes for the funds for Boston,but told us they have no money for extra curicular activitiesin a meeting two weeks ago. Its all total bs. No wonder the football team does no better. I am feed up with being a second class citizen because I don't live in the Cookeville city limits. Its all total BS.,........and guess what happen to the missing 6 million they cut from Upperman, it built Capshaw a new school. It went from a re-briking project, into they got a totally new school. I bet that damnnn school got air conditioning in ever inch of it.
Okay, now I'm convinced we need to spend more on education in Baxter.
cowgirlup

Cookeville, TN

#5 Apr 6, 2012
I saw that, It made me mad too.
As much complaining as the schools do about money, and then they go and blow a huge chunk of it on something like this, and I will still have to walk past kids begging for money for their school sellign stuff everytime I go to the store.
Baxter Mom

United States

#6 Apr 6, 2012
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, now I'm convinced we need to spend more on education in Baxter.
I see your point. Everyone who graduates from Cookeville High School is a well-educated, articulate scholar who never mis-spells a word or uses incorrect grammar. Oh wait, that's not true either, is it? The verbage might not be perfect but the facts and the prevailing logic of the post are. The school board stole money from the budget for the school being buillt for Baxter's students in order to built the social elite at Capshaw a beautiful new school. Now, our children are faced with a potentially fatal situation because of that theft ten years ago and we are tired of it. 35 kids going to sing in Boston is not more important than the numerous other real needs the schools have.
Propaganda

Cookeville, TN

#7 Apr 7, 2012
Looks like the teachers and the PTA are cranking up the propaganda machine again. Funny how the "we need more money" and "poor Baxter and Monterey" chatter always starts about budget time.

But I agree that spending $17k to send a choir to Boston probably wasn't the best idea.
not saying

Cookeville, TN

#8 Apr 7, 2012
Baxter Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
35 kids going to sing in Boston is not more important than the numerous other real needs the schools have.
kids going to sing is a neccesity, but really, is a field house? That and a football stadium only serve those who are into football, not the entire school population. And btw...seems to me that Upperman got some pretty damn fine baseball fields at a pretty cost, along with a track...do they even have track and field at UHS? again, who does that serve but the jocks?
I will agree on this....Monteray definately needs a new high school and that should come before any field house or singing trip for any student from any school!
sarah

Cookeville, TN

#9 Apr 7, 2012
Baxter high school is a mansion compared to the elementary school. How about fixing that before spending money on kids traveling?
overly opinionated

Cookeville, TN

#10 Apr 7, 2012
Its just not right. Remember last year? Monterey was invited to Italy. ITALY! What an amazing, wonderful opportunity that would have been for them. But no...., it wasnt in the budget. Whats good for one Putnam County school should be good for the other. Things are never gonna change. Cookeville has and always will come first. Aint right ,but thats the way it is.
TRUE

Crossville, TN

#11 Apr 7, 2012
Those MHS kids worked their behinds off raising money for that Italy trip and they made it!! It would be such a shame if those CHS children had to do something as dreadful as that.....
not good

Cookeville, TN

#12 Apr 7, 2012
I agree with you, and I am ALSO angry! I pay more then $100 per month for my child to be fed lunch at school! WHY? Why am I paying $100 to feed my child lunch everyday? I am an extremely budgetary-conscience mother! I feed my own family on $200 a month as a family of four, and my family ALWAYS has fruits, vegetables, and extremely nutritious meals to meet their needs. WHY does it seem to take $100 per MONTH to feed school-children? Who runs these programs? Why is it all of a sudden necessary to run palm scans on our children to even keep THIS wasteful program in line? I guess $100 a month doesn't get what it used to, does it? And instead of using that overflow they apparently had from that money I spend to buy hand-scanners for my child, WHY didn't they take that extra $20,000 we probably paid into the school system to buy a A/C unit for Baxter? And why didn't they ask me first? I have some questions for the school board.
Molly

United States

#13 Apr 7, 2012
Maybe someone needs to call Phill Williams at News Channel 4. Sounds like 'good ole boys' politics in Putnam county again. Makes you wonder how far we've come after all these years doesn't it? I totally agree that the schools need to be repaired. I am really upset that they would even consider approving money for Cookeville Chorus after turning the MHS chorus down. It would be interesting to see how those board members voted each time, where they are from and which school their children attend or attended.
Bee Mom

United States

#14 Apr 7, 2012
not saying wrote:
<quoted text>kids going to sing is a neccesity, but really, is a field house? That and a football stadium only serve those who are into football, not the entire school population. And btw...seems to me that Upperman got some pretty damn fine baseball fields at a pretty cost, along with a track...do they even have track and field at UHS? again, who does that serve but the jocks?
I will agree on this....Monteray definately needs a new high school and that should come before any field house or singing trip for any student from any school!
No. I wouldn't say a field house is a necessity. A football program isn't a necessary part of any school system. Have you ever wondered why schools have them? Studies show that students who participate in a sport are less likely to use drugs and to drop out of school. There are sound reasons for schools to have sports programs. Upperman sits about twenty minutes from Cookeville hospital. If a player goes down with a heat stroke, there is no air conditioned facility to cool them in until an ambulance can get there. Fifteen minutes is the key time to get the body temp down before the player dies. Upperman has the ONLY field house in Putnam County that isn't air conditioned. Ten yrs ago, Upperman was built and the money was given to build the building and supporting structures. At the same time, Capshaw's new building ran way over budget. Upperman's classroom wings and the field house were cut. The field house is dramatically smaller than designed and is not air conditioned. We only want what is fair and equitable. Cookeville has multiple sports field houses and all are air conditioned. They recently received 60K for new weight equipment and the board help build the new workout facility that they just opened. We aren't asking for fancy new uniforms like Cookeville is getting this year - we just want air condition to keep our kids from dying. And to your other question, yes, Upperman does have a track and field program. I can't believe you have seen either the field or the track if you call that extravagant.
not good

Cookeville, TN

#15 Apr 7, 2012
Molly wrote:
Maybe someone needs to call Phill Williams at News Channel 4. Sounds like 'good ole boys' politics in Putnam county again. Makes you wonder how far we've come after all these years doesn't it? I totally agree that the schools need to be repaired. I am really upset that they would even consider approving money for Cookeville Chorus after turning the MHS chorus down. It would be interesting to see how those board members voted each time, where they are from and which school their children attend or attended.
did you mean Phil Williams at News Channel 5? Because I am going to inform him that there is an imposter about, speaking on behalf of Wendy Askins and attempting to undermine his investigative efforts and journalistic AUTHORITIE! I also have your i.p. address.
WANNA SCREAM

Cookeville, TN

#16 Apr 7, 2012
Everything that has been written on these post about the unfair treatment to Monterey and Baxter is so legitimate and truly heartfelt. How do we get this noncense to STOP other than venting our frustrations on topix? I think this frustrates me even more, just knowing I cant do anything to make a change. It reminds me of my electric bill... know matter if I think the amount on it is wrong, I still have to pay it.Just seems like everybody without a so called "TITLE" or "POSITION" is getting the shaft! SO DANG FRUSTRATING!
WANNA SCREAM

Cookeville, TN

#17 Apr 7, 2012
and P.S.- Maybe we really do need someone on the outside to come in and clean up our county! Ya think?
not saying

Cookeville, TN

#18 Apr 8, 2012
Bee Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I wouldn't say a field house is a necessity. A football program isn't a necessary part of any school system. Have you ever wondered why schools have them? Studies show that students who participate in a sport are less likely to use drugs and to drop out of school. There are sound reasons for schools to have sports programs. Upperman sits about twenty minutes from Cookeville hospital. If a player goes down with a heat stroke, there is no air conditioned facility to cool them in until an ambulance can get there. Fifteen minutes is the key time to get the body temp down before the player dies. Upperman has the ONLY field house in Putnam County that isn't air conditioned. Ten yrs ago, Upperman was built and the money was given to build the building and supporting structures. At the same time, Capshaw's new building ran way over budget. Upperman's classroom wings and the field house were cut. The field house is dramatically smaller than designed and is not air conditioned. We only want what is fair and equitable. Cookeville has multiple sports field houses and all are air conditioned. They recently received 60K for new weight equipment and the board help build the new workout facility that they just opened. We aren't asking for fancy new uniforms like Cookeville is getting this year - we just want air condition to keep our kids from dying. And to your other question, yes, Upperman does have a track and field program. I can't believe you have seen either the field or the track if you call that extravagant.
worked at UHS for 2 years. Didn't say it was extravagent, but pretty damn fine. Every see ATMS fields? they have lights laying on the ground at the baseball field that can't be put up for lack of funds. Their gym sucks. UHS has 2 fine gyms. Air conditioning...How much can a unit cost? Seems to me that the players and parents that WANT their kids to participate could hold some fund raising to purchase one. I bought a pretty good unit for my garage/shop and it was a couple hundred. Seems you could get a window unit for around 5 hundred. I agree that sports help SOME kids. But we all know not everyoone plays sports. Kids also like other extracurricular activities, which are usually funded by fund raisiers. Sports are good, but not the only thing that can keep kids busy. Why should parents without kids in sports fund those that are? Sports should be primarily funded by those participating (as with any extracurricular activity), not by the tax payers.
FACTS

Cookeville, TN

#19 Apr 8, 2012
For those who are interested in FACTS, there are some very important ones to keep in mind:

First, it was NOT the Monterey High School choir that went to Italy. It was the Monterey Chorus, which had nothing to do with the high school. It may be true that the Monterey Chorus was led by Johnny Kimbro, who also directs the high school choir and most of the singers in the Monterey Chorus were also part of the MHS choir. But there were also singers from other parts of the county and at least one of them wasn't even a high school student.

Also, remember that the Italy trip was something that was arranged by Mr. Kimbro on his own. He did not run it by the school board or the county commission first. He went out on his own and did it and only went to those bodies after the fact when he wanted money. The commission and the school board did the right thing by saying no because it wasn't a school event.

Contrast that with the current situation with the Cookeville High School choir. Here we have an actual high school choir that was asked to perform by the local school board at a school-related convention. The Cookeville High School choir began by raising funds on their own, then asking for help to make up the difference.

IN COOKEVILLE, IT IS A SCHOOL CHOIR GOING TO A SCHOOL EVENT. IN MONTEREY, IT WAS A COMMUNITY CHORUS GOING TO A NON-SCHOOL EVENT. See the difference?

I'm sure the folks in Monterey won't let the facts get in the way of their ability to play the victim once again.
Baxter dude

United States

#20 Apr 9, 2012
Bee Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
awesome reply

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
build the wall, build the wall, build the wall 5 min resident 90
see your child 1 hr Jerry H 10
Moving to cookeville 1 hr Jerry H 8
all liberals will burn in hell 2 hr Lisa 35
POF Losers 2 hr Jerry H 14
Crystal Thorne former porn star back in town 3 hr Alma mater 27
Senior discount day at Kroger 4 hr RC Collins 5

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance