First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Degrees are overrated

Cookeville, TN

#21 Sep 20, 2011
robert wrote:
I didn't say anything about degrees vs intelligence. You just made that up. Kids that have parents that can support them are lucky. Not sure why you think that's something bad.my mom was a single mom who worked in a shirt factory so I didn't get much financial help from her when I was getting my BS. And a kid that changes majors too many times won't get a degree most likely because they're not serious about a degree no matter how much support the parents give.
I don't make the rules---the standard in many positions is still a 4 year degree not a technical school or a stint in the army. I work in the medical field. In the near future a rank and file lab tech or resp tech will be required to have a 4 year degree. 2 year technical degrees or associate degrees are going to be a thing of the past. There is already a big difference over what a nurse with a 4 year RN degree will make and what a 2 year LPN will make. In fact 2 year LPN licenses are quickly becoming a thing of the past with many hospitals only hiring RNs already.
More education isn't a bad thing and you're destined to lose a debate when you claim it is.
My dear Robert, I haven't used the word "bad" at all when describing education. And I agree with you that many positions that currently require a two-year degree will eventually require a four-year degree. But that is a result of an over-abundance of degrees, not a change in those positions. For that matter, it won't be long until a bachelor's degree means little and many of the jobs that now require a bachelor's will require a master's. It's simple supply and demand. There is a greater supply of degreed individuals than there is a demand for them, thus the higher degree requirements for jobs. It is just a way of narrowing the applicant pool.

Everyone knows that much of the first two years of college are little more than a repeat of the last two years of high school. There are exceptions, especially in the more demanding fields like engineering and nursing, but it is true for the more generic majors like sociology, criminal justice, business management, etc. In those fields, a person would be just as prepared for work if they attended a community college and just focused on their major classes rather than repeating the English and biology they took in high school. Unfortunately, because of the aforementioned supply and demand, a person with a two-year degree won't even get an interview because of the over-abundance of others with a higher degree that really hasn't taught them any more.

There is nothing "bad" about going to college and earning a bachelor's, master's or even a higher degree. Most would argue that earning those degrees is a good thing. I would agree with them. But it is just a true that many of those degrees are overrated and didn't exist a generation ago. They are the product of an entrepreneurial education system and have resulted in good people being locked out of jobs for which they have both the intelligence and the ability in favor of others whose only qualification may be the presence of a bachelor's degree.

As my moniker implies, degrees aren't bad, they're just overrated.
robert

United States

#22 Sep 20, 2011
My last point on this. In your OPINION bachelor's degrees are overrated. As I've said the point is they are the standard right now, overrated or not. Yes many jobs just require on the job training and a degree might not be required to actually perform them but if having one is the requirement to even get that on the job training then you need one.

If a potential employer says you need at least a bachelor's to apply for the position give them the line "I think they're overrated" and see if that gets you the job over an applicate that actually has a bachelor's.
Just Saying

Cookeville, TN

#23 Sep 20, 2011
robert wrote:
There is already a big difference over what a nurse with a 4 year RN degree will make and what a 2 year LPN will make.
But there is NO difference between the pay of a RN with a 4 year degree and an RN with a 2 year degree. LPNs and RNs are incomparable. They're two completely different things and LPNs are extremely limited in what they can do. You can get your LPN from a 1 year certificate program.
Just Saying

Cookeville, TN

#24 Sep 20, 2011
robert wrote:
My last point on this. In your OPINION bachelor's degrees are overrated. As I've said the point is they are the standard right now, overrated or not. Yes many jobs just require on the job training and a degree might not be required to actually perform them but if having one is the requirement to even get that on the job training then you need one.
If a potential employer says you need at least a bachelor's to apply for the position give them the line "I think they're overrated" and see if that gets you the job over an applicate that actually has a bachelor's.
Most employers are willing to omit the degree requirement for applicants with exceptional skills. In fact, most computer programming/engineering employers seem to prefer self-taught applicants because they generally have more working knowledge whereas a university graduate is going to be learning a lot about histories and theories as well as general education stuff; things which are nice to know, but not really all that important or useful. I know self-taught techies who can blow anybody with a CS degree out of the water.
matidah bwire

Kenya

#25 Oct 17, 2011
i think they are worthless now a days because they are so many who have them but they still dont have decent jobs .i think one should atleast have a masters degree cause that will take him or her some where,am doing a degree now and am just increasing the numbers of people having a bachelors degree
Smile

Cookeville, TN

#26 Oct 17, 2011
There are too many degree holders. How valuable can something possibly be when everybody and their mom has the same thing? Bachelors degrees are on the verge of being just as obsolete as High School diplomas. Back in the day, it would've actually paid off to major in something you're passionate about because degree holders weren't as common. Today it's literally a buyer's market and it gives employers room to pick and choose who they hire out of a stack of hundreds of applicants, all with the exact same education and it's forcing people to major in things they might not have any real interest in other than job prospects. People who hate their jobs usually perform them poorly.
WRJSW

Cookeville, TN

#27 Oct 17, 2011
matidah bwire wrote:
i think they are worthless now a days because they are so many who have them but they still dont have decent jobs .i think one should atleast have a masters degree cause that will take him or her some where,am doing a degree now and am just increasing the numbers of people having a bachelors degree
And when masters degrees become as common place as bachelor degrees, then what? Move on to PhD requirements for entry level positions? This problem is deeper than what it appears on the surface. Too many people are going to college and the only way to fix that problem is to make trade schools more appealing and quit scrutinizing individuals for making the choice to attend them.
Just The Facts

Cookeville, TN

#28 Oct 17, 2011
Bachelors degrees are worthless in the sense that is being discussed here because they're not being used properly to begin with. Most bachelor programs were never intended to be stand alone programs but were supposed to serve as preparation for GRADUATE school. You can't do much of anything with a bachelors degree in the sciences except maybe be a manager at Food Lion an you need at least a doctorates to do anything in psychology (rarely, you will find openings for school counselors that only require a masters, but that's once in a blue moon)

The answer? Quit expecting miracles from a preparatory degree. Get your ass in graduate school and complete a REAL degree. I blame this ignorance on school officials who fail to inform students about these sorts of things.
Anonymous

Anonymous Proxy

#29 Apr 21, 2012
Absolutely not! For any half-decent job thatís not minimum wage and offers you good advancement prospects, you need a Bachelorís degree. Besides, earning potential usually goes up with the level of education. Higher your education, the higher will be your earnings.
That said, itís also important to be smart about your choices and get education in a field where there are jobs. For example, everyone knows that you cannot go wrong with a Bachelorís degree in healthcare simply because the sector is teeming with jobs right now.
http://www.collegeamerica.edu/healthcare/bach...
JUST THE FACTS

Cookeville, TN

#30 Apr 21, 2012
In 10 more years college will be consider a joke, like some of us no now. Just a big drunk fest.

“College Education”

Since: Jun 12

San Jose, CA

#32 Jul 5, 2012
They most certainly are! Bachelorís degrees train you with in-depth knowledge about a field, while teaching you about its business and management aspect. A bachelorís degree in a technical field such as healthcare, engineering, IT, accounting, business etc will give you an added edge by increasing your chances of finding employment upon graduation. I recently read about CollegeAmericaís programs. I intend to pursue a degree in healthcare but I like to be thorough with my research so I plan on reading about the accreditation of CollegeAmerica, student services, student reviews etc. If you do your research well, you wonít make mistakes about your education.
http://www.accreditedonlinecolleges.com/state...
what ever

Cookeville, TN

#33 Jul 5, 2012
There are no jobs out there, it's time to tell people the truth. Stop telling them they will get a good job if they go to college. BULL S--T
Uni

Ottawa, Canada

#34 Mar 3, 2013
I think it really depends...on what you consider dependable...if a B. A. works at night, then it will surely work during the day.
IMHO

San Mateo, CA

#35 Mar 4, 2013
Many people have forgotten that trade schools are a viable alternative to standard college curriculum, and the ROI (return on investment, for those of you unfamiliar with that term) is faster. The machinery and manufacturing trades are begging for educated, qualified people to work in machine shops and manufacturing facilities across the country. Engineering degrees are a dime a dozen, and most of the engineers I've met in the last 20 years are dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to diagnosing and troubleshooting things that they design. My take is that, in the past, we used to have apprenticeship training in this country, and it was a MANDATORY five year program that HAD to be completed before a school would accept your application. Since we don't have that anymore, the kids that get their engineering degrees have no practical experience, and therefore have no idea how anything works before they design things.
Mark

Kingston, Canada

#36 Apr 12, 2013
Yes degrees are all worthless.
In North America, 98% of employers either do not care, or even dont check if you actually have a degree. I've all across Canada and the US, not a SINGLE employer has cared about my degrees.
In most overseas countries, like Asia, Africa, Middle East, etc, there are no laws stopping a group of people to "form a college/university" and printing degrees to citizens. These people then come over to North America, and steal the jobs here. Because while you struggled and have a mountain of debt to get a undergrad degree, they simply paid a little bit, worked a little bit and have PhD's and are seen as "professionals" while you are seen as scum.
So its time people realize that University and College is the biggest scam today. Its no longer a benefit. Its a burden!
People have already slowly stopped attending, and when that pace picks up, and the whole thing tumbles. Degrees of all kinds will be totally worthless. And you will be judged on what you actually know, not what piece of paper you have.
wonky jugs

Cookeville, TN

#37 Apr 12, 2013
Mark wrote:
Yes degrees are all worthless.
In North America, 98% of employers either do not care, or even dont check if you actually have a degree. I've all across Canada and the US, not a SINGLE employer has cared about my degrees.
In most overseas countries, like Asia, Africa, Middle East, etc, there are no laws stopping a group of people to "form a college/university" and printing degrees to citizens. These people then come over to North America, and steal the jobs here. Because while you struggled and have a mountain of debt to get a undergrad degree, they simply paid a little bit, worked a little bit and have PhD's and are seen as "professionals" while you are seen as scum.
So its time people realize that University and College is the biggest scam today. Its no longer a benefit. Its a burden!
People have already slowly stopped attending, and when that pace picks up, and the whole thing tumbles. Degrees of all kinds will be totally worthless. And you will be judged on what you actually know, not what piece of paper you have.
You're full of crap. 99% of employers will verify your degrees and licenses even if they aren't required for the job they're hiring you for. They don't even ask to see a paper degree anymore. They look it up in the student clearing house. It's either there or it isn't and there's no way to get around it whether your fake degree is from this country or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In need of someone special 2 hr MouthyKindOfGirl 5
Dr Roy Bilbrey??? (Dec '10) 3 hr hsvan 19
Subway always open on Christmas (Dec '11) 4 hr ChurchOfChristDad 24
CHS assistant principal matlock 4 hr madmom502 1
Massage 5 hr The Rock 19
Merry Xmas 5 hr djl 4
Best Gym to Join ? (Jan '14) 5 hr rebelwolf85 16
Cookeville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cookeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cookeville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:54 pm PST

NBC Sports12:54PM
Julio Jones, Steven Jackson remain out of Falcons practice
NFL 1:05 PM
Injury roundup: Julio Jones sits again; Green returns
NBC Sports 3:28 PM
Falcons hope to avoid another injury in secondary - NBC Sports
ESPN 4:59 PM
Falcons RB Jackson likely out, sources say
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons: Complete Week 17 Preview for Carolina