First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Thank You

Cookeville, TN

#1 Jan 4, 2013
http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/full_story...

Thank you for taking immediate action to help protect our school age kids.

DeDominicis

“John Averitt is a molester.”

Since: Nov 08

Cookeville

#2 Jan 5, 2013
Immediate action? Actions that would be absolutely futile against a well armed invading body or two. Maybe if he practices bobbing in and out of doorways through the halls as quietly as possible lol.These actions are far more likely to harm students athan invaders or any ill-intentioned being in the facility. That's great though lol
Tax Payer

Crossville, TN

#3 Jan 5, 2013
Waste of money.
Really

Cookeville, TN

#4 Jan 5, 2013
DeDominicis wrote:
Immediate action? Actions that would be absolutely futile against a well armed invading body or two. Maybe if he practices bobbing in and out of doorways through the halls as quietly as possible lol.These actions are far more likely to harm students athan invaders or any ill-intentioned being in the facility. That's great though lol
Is there any one single topic on which you don't consider yourself an authority? Please share with me your "extensive" knowledge of dealing with Active Shooters or our Police Department. You seem to know many names, but facts seem to escape you. Just sayin'...
Morris

Cookeville, TN

#5 Jan 5, 2013
What are they doing to make schools here safe for our kids?
link

Cookeville, TN

#6 Jan 5, 2013
Morris wrote:
What are they doing to make schools here safe for our kids?
Link to source in 1st comment.
skippy

Crossville, TN

#7 Jan 5, 2013
how about bullet proof windows, and doors that only open from the inside. problem solved.
not gonna help

Cookeville, TN

#8 Jan 6, 2013
Having armed guards at schools is not going to protect anyone. Most of the schools are so spread out that if an intruder came into a school (shoot out a door or window), by the time an officer got to the scene, serious damage/injury/killing would have already happened. Same with having armed teachers (bad idea).
This is a knee jerk reaction.
BTW...our school system already can't pay for many things (books for ALL students) and several aids/teachers are not being rehired due to the budget restaints. How in the world will we ever pay for this.
If an armed person with intent to enter a school and cause mayhem wants to, believe me, they will do it regardless of an armed guard or teacher.
question

United States

#9 Jan 6, 2013
Security can be there, but they can't be everywhere at once. They need breaks (bathroom, to eat) and then what? I think the only sure way to protect children is to home school, but again, someone could always invade your home. You can take measures, but unless you're in a bulletproof bubble, dreadful things are going to happen - always.
someone

Crossville, TN

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Cool. Let's do this for other places as well. You have to be buzzed in to go to McDonalds, Walmart, The Theater, and everywhere else that kids work. Let's take it one step further and implement these measures at all places of employment. Maybe we should make you buzz headquarters for permission to leave your double walled, concrete block home with 5 inch ballistics proof windowing.
Pluck the Republicans

Manchester, TN

#11 Jan 6, 2013
Thank You wrote:
http://www.herald-citizen.com/ view/full_story/21313894/artic le-District-wide-school-securi ty-sought?instance=homefirstle ft
Thank you for taking immediate action to help protect our school age kids.
Yes thank you very much...as all can see we have more cops in the schools these days and you have not seen any tax increase. Use the ones we already have since they were not too busy.

We need a wheel tax so the welfare types and the apartment livers can pay their fare share. Homeowners are tired of footing the bill for their kids.
Jean

United States

#12 Jan 6, 2013
I think this is a good step anyway and I'm glad it came from a fund. It should have been done anyway. My kid went to private school. It was worth every penny. She had the best education and the school was very restricted. No one, and I mean no one, could just come in, even a delivery person couldn't. If there is going to be an added expense of security officers, all parents need to fund it, not just the taxpayers. It's time that people who have a ton of kids who don't invest in their education need to step up. I have never cared one bit to contribute to the education of our kids, however we now have an ever-growing population of entitlement recipients with large families who need to be accountable too for the expense.
comeon

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jan 7, 2013
What happens when one of those armed teachers loose it and shoot up the classroom with their school provided gun, these days anything can happen. I don't have kids but if I did I'd homeschool
Wise guy

York, SC

#14 Jan 7, 2013
Kids are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to school than they are to get killed at school in a mass shooting. If parents were truly concerned about safety, they wouldn't drive them to school.
comeon

Charlotte, NC

#15 Jan 7, 2013
Exactly..there is going to be a risk everywhere you go ..to the grocery store a gas station movie theater...anywhere...only real solution is to remove your family from society ..move away from all people you don't know
Wise guy wrote:
Kids are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to school than they are to get killed at school in a mass shooting. If parents were truly concerned about safety, they wouldn't drive them to school.
Pluck non kid people

Manchester, TN

#16 Jan 7, 2013
comeon wrote:
What happens when one of those armed teachers loose it and shoot up the classroom with their school provided gun, these days anything can happen. I don't have kids but if I did I'd homeschool
Thats why this is none of your business. Law says you have to be over 18 to home school...and not be a dumbass with no kids.
jmo

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2013
Pluck non kid people wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats why this is none of your business. Law says you have to be over 18 to home school...and not be a dumbass with no kids.
This is everyone's business. It's every citizen's business when it come to safety for everyone, from children in school to the elderly in nursing homes. Btw, dumbasses unfortunately are sometimes people with children as well as those who do not, nonetheless it's a good idea to be hypervigilant when it comes to security.
nope

Crossville, TN

#18 Jan 8, 2013
Jean wrote:
I think this is a good step anyway...My kid went to private school...the school was very restricted...no one, could just come in, even a delivery person couldn't.
A school does not warrant military-style lockdown. Mainly because it's too damn expensive to go all out on it so they never do. Because of this, it doesn't work and has not been shown to be any more effective than standard, common sense security measures. If somebody is hellbent on killing a bunch of kids, do you really think they're gonna let a $3000 buzzer system and a little old lady at the front desk or a security guard stop them? The Pentagon is the most fortified building in the country and that didn't stop somebody from flying a plane into it and killing a bunch of people. Unless the kids are kept in bunkers and ushered to and from school by means of underground networks, you're just pissing away money that could be spent on enhancing their education.
madeinhell

Charlotte, NC

#19 Jan 8, 2013
We must try and take measures to prevent these horrific events from taking place. The night stalker of the 1980's would check doors and windows to see if they were left unlocked. He did however gain entry thru a doggy door once. Simple measures saved a lot of unknowing people.

DeDominicis

“John Averitt is a molester.”

Since: Nov 08

Cookeville

#20 Jan 8, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Is there any one single topic on which you don't consider yourself an authority? Please share with me your "extensive" knowledge of dealing with Active Shooters or our Police Department. You seem to know many names, but facts seem to escape you. Just sayin'...
Tell me more about the "{facts". If the Columbine incident were real, Mr. 9mm would have to do alot of sneaking around to hit his target and then he'd have another one to deal with.This goes right back to the media in how they tend to harness a lie instead of saying outright "it's a lie".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
David Sublett 34 min Alf 3
Kisha buck 44 min 9711daddydog 3
?illegals in Cookeville? 46 min 9711daddydog 210
Black panther/cougar sighting (Apr '12) 1 hr 9711daddydog 75
why do poor people get tatoos 1 hr The more you know 11
Cookeville made top ten list 1 hr ShutUpAlready 4
News Trail Authority revisiting Monterey issue 3 hr The Real Citizen 2
No money for teachers but plenty for land+const... 3 hr another TODAY 89
Why liberals are wrong about Trump 3 hr resident 42

Cookeville Jobs