two ez

Cookeville, TN

#1 Oct 15, 2012
I would like to know what happen to separation of church and state. I know that it’s a county building but it still falls in under state. I feel that it’s the same as not having pray in the schools. Not all people believe in it. Why should we allow churches do as they please. If I put up a big upside-down star/pentagram. Every church will raise hell. If we keep letting churches do as they please. Then their will never be no separation between church and state.
Words fail me

Tullahoma, TN

#2 Oct 15, 2012
two ez wrote:
I would like to know what happen to separation of church and state. I know that it’s a county building but it still falls in under state. I feel that it’s the same as not having pray in the schools. Not all people believe in it. Why should we allow churches do as they please. If I put up a big upside-down star/pentagram. Every church will raise hell. If we keep letting churches do as they please. Then their will never be no separation between church and state.
Don't know where to start. How did you spell "separation" right and manage to screw up "they're" and "their?"

Where do you find the term "separation of church and state" anywhere in our founding documents? Constitution? Declaration of Independence? That's right, nowhere. It's not there.

That phrase was used in a letter Tom Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist Association, assuring them that the government would not establish a state religion.

The Bill of Rights says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." If a church puts "In God We Trust" on the wall of the old courthouse, that is not the government establishing a religion, any more than when the government observes Thanksgiving, Christmas or other religious holidays.

This country was founded primarily by Christians and most all of our law is based on Judeo-Christian principles. You can't change history, friend.

Have you looked at a dollar bill lately? What's that say on there?

Oops.
two ez

Cookeville, TN

#3 Oct 15, 2012
My grammar does not have anything to do with it. It all has to do with churches trying to rub religion in our face. I just don’t see why religion has to be in our face. You can believe in what you want. But there is other people that don’t have the same religion. If I choose not to believe in it. Then that’s my right. So If I pay for it to say “In god we don’t trust”. Is that ok? No its not my right and it should not be the right that a church should pay for “In god we trust” either.
Words fail me

Tullahoma, TN

#4 Oct 15, 2012
OK, sorry about the grammar thing. I just thought it was funny you got a hard word right and bungled "pray" and "prayer," and the their-they're thing.

You didn't answer my point about the national motto being "In God We Trust." It's on every bill in your wallet. Do you want to get rid of that?

As you enter Overton County on TN 111 there are signs where the same slogan is engraved in stone. Do you have a problem with that?

I am still waiting to hear your thoughts on the money thing?

Retiring for the night, God bless.

(Seriously!)
two ez

Cookeville, TN

#5 Oct 15, 2012
Yes it’s on our money. But it has always been on our money ever since I can remember. This is fine. Not everyone’s god is the same. I just think that it should be a public vote not just the Putnam County commission vote. I really don’t feel that the purpose of putting it on the building because it a national motto. But a way for Colonial View Baptist Church to put religion in our face. Same as the big cross on I40. If the church really wanted to do something good for the people in Cookeville. How about take the money that has the motto “In god we trust” and help a needy family or person. Next month or next year another church will come up with something they can do to put themselves in the limelight.
Seriously

Chicago, IL

#6 Oct 15, 2012
We were built on freedom of AND FROM religion. If you do not believe this look up the comments from our founding fathers.

Thomas Jefferson
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find
in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They
are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men,
women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been
burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this
coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to
support roguery and error all over the earth."

John Adams
"The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for
absurdity."

Thomas Paine
"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to
that book (the Bible)."
teddy bonkers

United States

#7 Oct 16, 2012
Neither God nor Jesus nor other religious symbols and nothing from the Bible is written into any of our founding documents. Many of the founding fathers were atheists or deists ,not christians. It is quite obvious had they meant this county to be founded on the tenets of christianity they had EVERY opportunity to do so but did NOT.

"IN GOD WE TRUST" is a relatively recent addition to our money and "under God" was also added to the pledge of alligence later,it was not written that way.

James Madison warned that a goverment that is given the power to endorse a religion is also given,by default,the power to ban all religions too. Christians better be careful what they ask for.
atheist

Manchester, TN

#8 Jan 26, 2013
Are you stupid? 1. Most of our founding fathers were Deist... NOT Christian or have you ever read a history book? 3. In the 1778 Treaty with Tripoli our founding fathers clearly state in Art 11: "...the United States of American is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." 3. The Bill of rights? You mean our Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" which has been interpreted by our supreme court as a Separation of Church and State... which is what Jefferson was explaining... the first amendment is like a wall of separation between the church and state. 4. Our laws are NOT based on Judeo-Christian values... have you read the bible? When is the last time we stone a whore to death? Do we kill men that cheat on their wives? Do we allow divorce? Are gay people put to death? Do thieves get their hand chopped off? Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth? You are insane!

You say you can't change history - that's true - but you can't make it up either... stop listening to Fox News and talk radio and open a history book. Most people in this country are rude stupid people... you think what you believe is the only right way - therefore you push and push your beliefs on everyone to the point where you have to ram-stack our government and stamp your god's logo on anything you can... it's inconsiderate and petty that your god requires such small things.

I'm an atheist - and i do not give a shit about "in god we trust" on the court house... why? because it doesn't fucking matter to me anymore... I'm convinced without any doubt there is no god or gods - if all you silly people want to play with your imaginary friend have at it... want to put his name all over the place... have at it... but nothing you do will make him real, and i think deep down inside you all know it's true... but you still hold tight to the images, and the words hoping - wishing - wanting them to so bad to be true because you can't bare the thought of nothing happening after you die. You're like silly children - grow up... you got one life then lights out - live it to the fullest.

oh and "in god we trust" wasn't added until 1957 on paper currency - our founding fathers wanted our official motto to be "E pluribus unum" Latin for "Out of Many, One." Which goes to say something about our founding fathers, they were all about unity and equality - they knew religion was ripping the world apart - which is why they wanted to keep it separate...
Words fail me wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know where to start. How did you spell "separation" right and manage to screw up "they're" and "their?"
Where do you find the term "separation of church and state" anywhere in our founding documents? Constitution? Declaration of Independence? That's right, nowhere. It's not there.
That phrase was used in a letter Tom Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist Association, assuring them that the government would not establish a state religion.
The Bill of Rights says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." If a church puts "In God We Trust" on the wall of the old courthouse, that is not the government establishing a religion, any more than when the government observes Thanksgiving, Christmas or other religious holidays.
This country was founded primarily by Christians and most all of our law is based on Judeo-Christian principles. You can't change history, friend.
Have you looked at a dollar bill lately? What's that say on there?
Oops.
Barry

New York, NY

#9 Feb 28, 2013
Separation of Church and state means: You do not have to belong to a state backed church. Period...
It is Freedom OF religion not freedom from religion.
That is why some people are upset with the democratic party's shift to discount GOD and Christianity. Like the following democrat's speech to World Leaders: Secretary of State John Kerry was barely off the plane in Germany before he embarrassed himself—and all of us (Christians who support the Constitution)—with what is perhaps the worst defense of religious freedom ever offered. Kerry, the unsuccessful Democratic candidate for president in 2004, said the United States protects religious freedom because:“In America , you have a right to be stupid.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atty suggestion(s).for police brutally?? 4 hr Bargain 21
Cookeville Boatdock Water Utility? (Feb '13) 4 hr Green 22
Cutest guy working for Carwile (Mar '10) 4 hr Plumberslovepipe 7
Academy Sports + Outdoors 700 New jobs coming (Aug '14) 4 hr Spring 107
News WCTE may lose 40 percent of funding 4 hr Woodstock 3
Rue 21 Going Out Of Business! (Oct '10) 5 hr Uranidiot 25
Evidence Overton CO court fraud,children on fam... 5 hr Uranidiot 18

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance