Anyone else think Goodwill is getting...

Anyone else think Goodwill is getting expensive?

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tired

Cookeville, TN

#1 Jun 26, 2011
Does anyone else think our Cookeville Goodwill is getting expensive? I can go to other Goodwill stores and they are not near as much. It must just be our store. If everything is donated... why do they charge so much? Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that?
Yup

Cookeville, TN

#2 Jun 26, 2011
I see shirts in there for 4.99, but often I can get new shirts on sale at other stores for 5 - 10 dollars. Goodwill prices are ridiculous!
google

Cookeville, TN

#3 Jun 27, 2011
No.
yes they are

Sparta, TN

#4 Jun 27, 2011
Way outta sight on their prices!
yup

Cookeville, TN

#5 Jun 27, 2011
Getting? They have always been! ESP for used stuff! I've found things at walmart & tj maxx for cheaper that's new!! It's crazy!
shopper

Cookeville, TN

#6 Jun 28, 2011
i like going to goodwill and yes the prices are high,i see things from dollar tree and goodwill has 1.99 on it. yard sale things with sticker still on it, and goodwill reprices a lot higher. do they not know to remove the old price? also a couple of the female workers look at people like they are dirt. remember this,ladies, if you feel above us, you can always try to find another job.
cowgirlup

Cookeville, TN

#7 Jun 28, 2011
I went looking for blankets to let my dogs lay on back when it was cole cause they go through them pretty quick, and What I saw was old nasty ugly comforters for 20 to 30 bucks. Yeah right.
high as a kite

United States

#8 Jun 28, 2011
Yes they are getting high enough that I hardly buy anything there any more. Thank goodness I've got a closet full of clothes and bookshelves of books I got there back in the days before their prices got stupid. I still will find the ocassional LL Bean shirt once in a while I'll buy for 4.99 but 15.99 for a used pair of sneakers? Not hardly

Other thrift stores are much cheaper but they don't have the selection goodwill has.

Anybody know other good thrift/junk stores around?
Goodwill sucks

Cookeville, TN

#9 Jul 2, 2011
I agree, Goodwill is way too expensive. Do they forget that someone GAVE them the stuff they are selling? I refuse to give to them. I would rather find someone in need and just give my stuff to them. They appreciate it more too. Goodwill acts like they are doing YOU a favor for taking your stuff. And you know the workers go thru it and pick out what they want first. And they have been known to throw away lots of stuff that the less fortunate could use. GoodWill Sucks.
skyhigh

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jul 2, 2011
Went there today and was ran over more times than road kill. Customers were so rude and would literally knock you out of the way to get to that $1.99 used and warped Tupperware dish they were eyeing all week but had to wait to it went on sale. REMEMBER it is just junk! Somebody else did not want or couldn't sell it so what in the hell are you buying it for? Also seen a full size comforter from 1984 priced at $24.99, are you effing kidding me? Really? I can get new stuff at dollar general cheaper!
GOODWILL WAS NON PROFIT

Topsham, ME

#11 Aug 8, 2011
I THOUGHT GOODWILL WAS NON PROFIT?? WHY DO THEY HAVE TV COMERCIALS TALKING ABOUT ALL THEIR DESIGNER NAME BRANDS, THE PRICES IN THE NH STORES ARE SO EXPENSIVE, MOSTLY IN THE HOOKSETT STORE!! A USED STAINED COACH BAG FOR 30.00 WHEN I CAN GO TO THE COACH OUTLET IN TILTON NH AND GET BAGS ON CLEARENCE FOR 49.99 ?? GO FIGURE?? I DONATE ALL MY ITEMS TO THE CONCORD NH SALVATION ARMY THEY WORK WITH THE STATE AND GIVE THE NEEDY VOUCHERS TO GET FEE ITEMS EACH MONTH, WHAT DOES GOODWILL DO ???
Tightwad

Cookeville, TN

#12 Aug 8, 2011
Goodwill here in Cookeville is family owned and been told by an former employee.
right

Cookeville, TN

#13 Aug 8, 2011
I tried to donate some wooden blinds to Goodwill The man at the loading dock said the won't take them unless they are in a box. I had a lounge pad almost new they wouldn't accept that either/ I know someone who tried to donate a hide a bed. they wouldn't take that either.
I know people in nashville they go to goodwille over in nashville all the time. She stopped in here and she said no way.
Wondering

Cookeville, TN

#14 Aug 8, 2011
Yes i do.We are not shopping in a department store.Its Goodwill for goodness sakes.
Just Saying

Cookeville, TN

#15 Aug 8, 2011
I can get a brand new shirt at Wal-Mart for 5 or 6 Dollars
YEP

Monterey, TN

#16 Aug 8, 2011
The quality of most of the stuff in Goodwill is the same as that of a yard sale, and their prices should be the same! At yard sales you wont find shirts for $5 that are worn out and old style like you will at Goodwill, they should only be like $2 at the most! RIDICULOUS
Think about it

Wilmington, MA

#17 Aug 8, 2011
Goodwill is a business. They have to make money to pay rent, electric, taxes, and their employees. Like anyother smart business they are charging prices that people will pay. If you don't shop there because you think it is too expensive, that is your choice.
Junking

Cookeville, TN

#18 Aug 8, 2011
Think about it wrote:
Goodwill is a business. They have to make money to pay rent, electric, taxes, and their employees. Like anyother smart business they are charging prices that people will pay. If you don't shop there because you think it is too expensive, that is your choice.
I agree, half of the fun is going through this junk. I have found many thing over priced and laughable. I have also found many diamonds in the rough. Remember many, if not all of their employees are retards. This is why some of the things are over priced. Often some of the older things cannot be determined what they are by these well meaning retards. If you frequently shop, get half-off days or special color days it becomes more worth wild. I think this is a great opportunity for one and all to enjoy. Make it an adventure and who knows u might just be helping out the less fortunate, as well as yourself.
curious

Cookeville, TN

#19 Aug 8, 2011
Tired wrote:
Does anyone else think our Cookeville Goodwill is getting expensive? I can go to other Goodwill stores and they are not near as much. It must just be our store. If everything is donated... why do they charge so much? Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that?
Yep, if you watch for sales, you can buy new clothes as cheap, or almost as cheap as Goodwill. Cookeville Goodwill has a weird smell that other ones I've been to don't have. I think they are all too expensive, not just here. I don't shop at them any more.
Think about it

Woodbury, TN

#20 Aug 8, 2011
Junking wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, half of the fun is going through this junk. I have found many thing over priced and laughable. I have also found many diamonds in the rough. Remember many, if not all of their employees are retards. This is why some of the things are over priced. Often some of the older things cannot be determined what they are by these well meaning retards. If you frequently shop, get half-off days or special color days it becomes more worth wild. I think this is a great opportunity for one and all to enjoy. Make it an adventure and who knows u might just be helping out the less fortunate, as well as yourself.
Who actually says the "r" word? You should be ashamed of yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New tyra banks makeup is stupid and annoying 42 min yurpp2small 4
R&B Consignment Shop 45 min yurpp2small 11
whos cheating at cookeville regional hospital ... 1 hr Dan 12
warning 2 hr Sad 5
Cookeville Honda 3 hr Poptart 21
Lawn Mower Repair? (May '12) 4 hr looking 7
Dawn at Harley Davidson in Cookeville 5 hr Concerned sister 9
More from around the web

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE