Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

When the second amendment was adopted, "arms" included muzzle-loaded muskets and pistols, swords, knives, bows with arrows, and spears. By modern standards, that would include light infantry weapons: common rifles and pistols, cross bows, etc. Why is it that constitutionalists are only in favor of literal interpretation when it benefits them?

If you feel like you need to own a fully functional Russian battle tank then you have problems.
For The Record

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

For The Record wrote:
When the second amendment was adopted, "arms" included muzzle-loaded muskets and pistols, swords, knives, bows with arrows, and spears. By modern standards, that would include light infantry weapons: common rifles and pistols, cross bows, etc. Why is it that constitutionalists are only in favor of literal interpretation when it benefits them?
If you feel like you need to own a fully functional Russian battle tank then you have problems.
I already have a tank…it’s not Russian TN, KY, SC, TX, AZ,AL all have um lol
obviously

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Support the Nra
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Teddy Bonkers wrote:
Assualt weapons are not protected by theconstitution. The only weapon you can have, if you want to pretend the constituition allows you to have firearms, is a black powder musket ,the weapon used at the time the constitution was written. Case closed.
That's a very strange line of reasoning! So, I guess that you believe that freedom of religion doesn't apply to Mormons, Christian Sceientists, or the followers of many other religions since they didn't exist at the time that the Constitution was written. Or that freedom of speech doesn't apply to any words other than those that are spoken, printed on a tint-type printer, or written with a quill pen. And nothing in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights applies to African Americans since they were merely "property" at that time, and the right of whites to acquire property was also protected in the Constitution. I think you might want to re-think your conclusion there.
Just Saying

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Teddy Bonkers wrote:
Assualt weapons are not protected by theconstitution. The only weapon you can have, if you want to pretend the constituition allows you to have firearms, is a black powder musket ,the weapon used at the time the constitution was written. Case closed.
Thats a stupid statement. More weapons were used than Muskets and if they were to be restrictive, they would have used specifics. You need to do two things, read a little history and after that think before you type.
Little Gril

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Teddy Bonkers wrote:
I said NOTHING about disarming.
Yeazzum you did to!!bb
ronene

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

youtube.com/watch... … I like Guns stay armed,,,Someone should start a petition to deport Obama
Missy

Middleport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

Why does anyone need an assault rifle? They do not.
You can hunt with a pump gun, protect your home and family with it. If you feel like they are just taking another freedom away, maybe you should worry more about illegals, drones, corruption of government, why the rich keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer.
Jeff

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Teddy Bonkers wrote:
Lonely Women use a device that requires batteries , lonely guys uses the hand of choice, along with a video or book..You use topix to stir something up lol I guess what ever gets you off
NRA

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Sign all you want...we lost this one...new law will be in place inside a year. But make sure you pay them dues...when lifetime NRA members that are in congress say ban assault weapons it's all over.
nonsense

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir, I humbly suggest you do some more research on the history of the opinions and views of the Founding Fathers regarding citizens owning firearms.
The very reason the entire Revolutionary War started was because the British tried to take away the Colonists' firearms at Lexington and Concord. Firearms that were on par with the standard military issue weaponry at the time.
The Founding Fathers agreed that the people should be able to overthrow the government, should it become too corrupt. How do you propose we do that if they're the only ones with firearms?
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380)
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster in `An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution', 1787)
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8)
I get so sick of this kinnard. A cursory glance at our LOCAL government (and very closely affiliated and taxpayer-funded NGO's around here like the UCDD) reveal a WORLD of corruption and malfeasance, and when you take a look at the national political scale over the last, say, 40 years or so, with the NAFTA'S and the CAFTA'S and the PNTR with China sell-outs that have destroyed America, you see the most despicable and despotic regimes to ever rule a people anywhere on EARTH. But some die-hard NRA fanatic is always wanting to make this "overthrow a potentially tyrannical gubbermint!" argument. And they always say it before they step into that voting booth again to vote a straight Democrat or Republican ticket. I would have bought that argument a decade or so ago if people had actually elected Perot, but not today. Nobody in this country is interested in anything but their own little narrow agenda, be it gun control, gay marriage, the war on religion, you name it. Stop trying to lump a disgusting act carried out with an assault weapon against an elementary school with some sort of hostile takeover of the United States government or the rise of the anti-Christ that you imagine you can defend yourself against with a gun. I saw you had a quote from Hamilton you threw up there, Hamilton also believed in perpetual deficit-spending and a centralized banking monopoly dedicated to setting financial policy for the country, were those wonderful ideas as well? I don't really believe in gun control, but that ridiculous argument about "overthrowing a tyrannical government" gets annoying. Neither you nor anyone else in this country os going to overthrow ANYTHING, heck, you VOTE for and ENDORSE your government most likely every time you step into that voting-booth.
I speak for Republicans

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

We apologize for being sore losers..
Yeah I Said That

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Missy wrote:
If you feel like they are just taking another freedom away, maybe you should worry more about illegals, drones, corruption of government, why the rich keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer.
The above is exactly why I need my AR-15. LOL!
LegendaryPikkle

Marysville, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Only an idiot would take "bear arms" out of context and say its our right to not be amputees.

Bear Arms is and always was a way to describe someone bearing a weapon.

Nowhere in the 2nd amendment does it say "Black powder musket"

Our founding fathers KNEW that technology would advance, and even Jefferson himself stated we need the weapons of our era to protect ourselves from a tyranical government.

To think that they thought we would ONLY have black powder muskets for the rest of history is ludicrous.

An "assault" weapon has every right to be in a household just as a Glock 40 does.

How can we protect ourselves from an overreaching government if we are armed with simple handguns and shotguns when our enemies have "assault" weapons.

grow up - learn your rights - and learn your history.

Our founding fathers knew this day would come and warned us of it.

"Right to not be an amputee" How cute.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

93 Users are viewing the Cookeville Forum right now

Search the Cookeville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
for the non religious 8 min Humanist 141
High school football 22 min allseeingeye 10
Rick Larnerd gainesboro 25 min Poke Sallet 2
Soon to be Sheriff Farris 26 min allseeingeye 24
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 26 min Julia 140,605
Putnam Co. Schools 33 min allseeingeye 23
Campaign signs 35 min Helen Wheels 62
All is Not Good in Algood 36 min I ponder 573
Well hung Size matters 1 hr me 2 sue 15
Current Cookeville Police Officers... (Sep '11) 4 hr currently 122
•••
•••
•••
•••

Cookeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000