Carlen Chevrolet
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
riker

Smithville, TN

#1 May 27, 2011
Can anyone tell me anything about Carlen Chevrolet? Are the honest and fair to deal with?
Chevy guy

Cookeville, TN

#2 May 31, 2011
It has been more than 18 years since I used them. I felt ripped-off & changed to Frontier in Livingston...Three trucks and two cars....along with some maintenance work...I am happy with the guys in Livingston.
well

Winnsboro, SC

#3 Jun 1, 2011
I just bought a car from carlen. Easy to deal with and feel like I got a good deal. Will buy from again.
George Carlen

Silver Point, TN

#4 Jun 1, 2011
Yeah they are great! 18 years?..My God how can you be so damn stupid? I used Frontier once about a hundred years ago and felt ripped-off..since then i bought 10 cars and 13 trucks from Carlen..great place.
hip hop

Cookeville, TN

#5 Jun 1, 2011
I have bought and know many who have bought from Carlen. Salesmen are looking for repeat business instead of ripping you off on one deal. I say talk to Ralph, good honest guy. Carlen is A+
Billy Bob

Cookeville, TN

#6 Jun 21, 2011
hip hop wrote:
I have bought and know many who have bought from Carlen. Salesmen are looking for repeat business instead of ripping you off on one deal. I say talk to Ralph, good honest guy. Carlen is A+
A honest car salesman?????.....come on you know better.....Doug Looper won't lie much...just a tid bit.....try him...he is an OK guy
jim

Livingston, TN

#7 Jun 22, 2011
Chevy guy wrote:
It has been more than 18 years since I used them. I felt ripped-off & changed to Frontier in Livingston...Three trucks and two cars....along with some maintenance work...I am happy with the guys in Livingston.
I bet they ripped you a new ahole at Caseys
One more

Cookeville, TN

#8 Jun 22, 2011
Carlen is not a dealership that I will go to again, my experience only, yrmv.
One more

Cookeville, TN

#9 Jun 22, 2011
riker wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about Carlen Chevrolet? Are the honest and fair to deal with?
no.
Jediah

Cookeville, TN

#10 Jun 22, 2011
I've been trading with the Carlen's since the 20's and I feel they are the best anywheres. The honest reliable service and care is of the upmost. I bought my first car with a wheel-barell full of nickels, the price has gone up since then but their truc care has not changed.
John Doe

Cookeville, TN

#11 Jun 22, 2011
A friend took her 3/4 ton 4WD truck there once for an oil change. It got the bumper to bumper inspection as a courtesy. About 300 miles later (and several months, truck rarely gets worked on) she returned to get the transmission filter changed. Now those 300 miles were light duty miles, the truck mostly gets used to haul stuff I haul in a car. Once in a while it tows and hauls some dirt. Never off road more than driving through the yard. Truck had about ~65K miles on it.

The first time they looked at it the truck was good. The second time they looked at it the truck needed $1500 worth of front end worth they said. I've been working on all types of cars for 30 years and I looked at it too. The front end had just a little bit of play in one of the drag links and no play in the steering.

She asked why the truck was good the first time and worn out the second time and they clammed up. Not been back last I heard.

I know my grandfather foolishly went there a decade ago to have them tell him what the check engine light was warning about. Just as I suspected, he needed an EGR valve.$65 for 3 minutes of plugging in a code reader. Auto Zone does the same thing for free.

Have a third friend who had his spark plugs changed on his four cylinder. They broke a spark plug or crossthreaded a spark plug and then tried to stick him with the cost of taking the head off to correct their mistake. He didn't pay as I recall.

They might do good work but be very suspect of anything they try to tell you that sounds expensive. Personally I'd use an independent shop around here.

Maybe not Doc's b/c a friend took their little four door sedan there about two months ago and Doc's priced some maintenance at about $1300. Friends couldn't afford it. Brakes pads and shoes, axles, rotors and alot of labor. He also said they needed a caliper and a rear brake cylinder. I did the work for free and $350 worth of good parts. Didn't replace the caliper or wheel cylinder. Caliper was not sticking, wheel cylinder not leaking. They do work but again have your wits about you. If the price sounds high, you might want to price around town. Same friend had a serpentine belt replaced there. I think they told me $90. I could do that job in 30 mins with a $25 belt.

Learning to do good work on your own car can save you alot of money.
John Doe

Cookeville, TN

#12 Jun 22, 2011
Meant to say the truck seldom gets driven.

Meant to say Doc's does good work but keep your wits about you.

I have a friend who uses Kenneth Franklin on Lafever Road and says good things about his services. Independent shop. Messy looking place but the work is good.
Big Daddy

Cookeville, TN

#13 Jun 22, 2011
Kenneth Franklin does all my work for me. Wont trust my car or truck with anyone else.
Carlen is great

Cookeville, TN

#14 Jun 23, 2011
My experiences have all been positive. I bought from Ralph and he was great. Service is always A+. Never any problems.
Spencer for hire

Spring Hill, TN

#15 Jan 24, 2013
My daughters window was stuck in the down position and they put it up for her for free. She drove 117 miles home and I fixed it for her when she got here. I can't say anything bad about a dealership who helps out a college student.
SUE ME

Livingston, TN

#16 Jan 25, 2013
About 12 years ago I was on my way to work in Nashville when my timing belt broke. I called my wife to come pick me up and take me to work. I told her to call a tow truck, who's name I wont mention, and have them tow the car home so I could fix it. When she picked me up from work that afternoon, she told me that the tow truck driver had left the emergency brake on and the rear wheels were smoking when he pulled up. When I got home, the plastic hubcaps had melted and fell off, and all the grease had run down the wheel. I called the tow truck owner and he said for me to get it fixed, and he would pay. I took it to CARLEN MOTORS to be repaired. I explained what had happened to the service manager, and being a mechanic myself, I told him what I felt needed to be replaced at a minimum. He told me that I would have to pay Carlen Motors, then take it up with tow truck driver. I agreed, telling him to save all the old parts, as I wanted them. He said o.k.
I had to pick my car up on a Saturday due to my work schedule, the service department was closed, but a salesman was there to take my money, and gave me a receipt. When I asked him for my old parts that had been replaced, he didn't know anything about them. I took off work that Monday, and when to the service department as soon as they opened. When I asked the service manager for my old parts, he said he didn't have them. He said that the tow truck guy came in and said," if I have to pay for this, I want the parts".
I explained to the service manager that it was I, the owner of the car, who had PAID for the repairs. and that he shouldn't have gave the tow truck guy MY parts. Then the service manager proceeded to tell me that he didn't give the tow truck guy the parts, that the tow truck guy "just kinda took them". I then said " so he stole the parts ? ", then the service manager said no he didn't steal them, he just took them. LOL. He also said that he had inspected my car personally, and that he didn't see any evidence of heat. When I told him about the melted hubcaps, he laughed and said " well I aint seen them"
Needless to say when I called the tow truck guy to get my money from him, he told me to jump in a lake. I started to take them to court, but, then I found out that the tow truck guy at the time towed all the cars for the City, as well as for Carlen, no telling who else, so I figured I'd lick my wounds and take the loss, instead of paying one of these Cookeville lawyers to take my money, and the judge to fid me guilty of it was probably my fault anyway, KANGAROO COURT.
BTW, the tow truck owner was later arrested along with others for money laundering and other crimes in OPERATION TARNISHED SHIELD.
The police probably didn't dig deep enough.
All in all, I think the bill from Carlen was around $400, when I took the car apart to inspect what had been repaired, I seen that NOTHING HAD BEEN REPAIRED, except some new grease had been applied to burnt up bearings.
CARLENS "REPAIR"--$400
MY REPAIR DONE RIGHT---$400
TOW TRUCK BILL---$50 or $60
Time off of work---$150
Learning that the next time my car breaks down on interstate, to get a chain and tow it home myself, getting pulled over in the process for improper towing--- PRICELESS!!!

I WOULDN'T BUY A FREE CADILLAC FROM CARLEN MOTORS.
camero

United States

#17 Jan 25, 2013
My dad got a car from foster. They treated him like a dog! Carlin is the way to go!
scooter

Cookeville, TN

#18 Jan 25, 2013
Carlen is A++
GM Tech

Spring Hill, TN

#19 Feb 2, 2013
John Doe wrote:
A friend took her 3/4 ton 4WD truck there once for an oil change. It got the bumper to bumper inspection as a courtesy. About 300 miles later (and several months, truck rarely gets worked on) she returned to get the transmission filter changed. Now those 300 miles were light duty miles, the truck mostly gets used to haul stuff I haul in a car. Once in a while it tows and hauls some dirt. Never off road more than driving through the yard. Truck had about ~65K miles on it.
The first time they looked at it the truck was good. The second time they looked at it the truck needed $1500 worth of front end worth they said. I've been working on all types of cars for 30 years and I looked at it too. The front end had just a little bit of play in one of the drag links and no play in the steering.
She asked why the truck was good the first time and worn out the second time and they clammed up. Not been back last I heard.
I know my grandfather foolishly went there a decade ago to have them tell him what the check engine light was warning about. Just as I suspected, he needed an EGR valve.$65 for 3 minutes of plugging in a code reader. Auto Zone does the same thing for free.
Have a third friend who had his spark plugs changed on his four cylinder. They broke a spark plug or crossthreaded a spark plug and then tried to stick him with the cost of taking the head off to correct their mistake. He didn't pay as I recall.
They might do good work but be very suspect of anything they try to tell you that sounds expensive. Personally I'd use an independent shop around here.
Maybe not Doc's b/c a friend took their little four door sedan there about two months ago and Doc's priced some maintenance at about $1300. Friends couldn't afford it. Brakes pads and shoes, axles, rotors and alot of labor. He also said they needed a caliper and a rear brake cylinder. I did the work for free and $350 worth of good parts. Didn't replace the caliper or wheel cylinder. Caliper was not sticking, wheel cylinder not leaking. They do work but again have your wits about you. If the price sounds high, you might want to price around town. Same friend had a serpentine belt replaced there. I think they told me $90. I could do that job in 30 mins with a $25 belt.
Learning to do good work on your own car can save you alot of money.
Take all the money you saved and take spelling classes. It is NOT ALOT! Two words, not one! Carlen has a business and has to charge for diagnostic because it cost $6,880 for a Tech2 with far better results than Autozone with a $59 code reader. A lot of people will agree with me!
Carlen motors sucks

Buffalo Valley, TN

#20 Mar 20, 2013
I went into to test drive a new car and they treated me like dirt!! Then I finally had had enough and told the salesman to forget it! They treated me the same way 12 years ago when I went in and was going to buy a good used car and had cash! I would rather walk then to give them my business now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R&B Consignment Shop 37 min Cookeville TN 6
Goods Lovell Against the BAD Lovells (Nov '10) 56 min plateauguy 18
Michael and Angie henry 2 hr bear 14
Whats good my cookeville people 4 hr reality 2
cookeville toyota ripoff 4 hr udidntgetin2mason... 8
Cookeville Honda 4 hr growup 16
News Following too close results in arrest of two fo... 5 hr ken 4
More from around the web

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE