ucdd planning department
Apples

Crossville, TN

#2310 Jul 27, 2012
BTW Does anyone happen to know if Kim Lutton the head of UCHRA here in Warren County happens to be a niece of the late Phyllis Bennett? And by chance how she was able to obtain her position? Did Ms. Bennett place any other family members in places of authority throughout the upper Cumberland, aside from the delightful W.A.?
Apples

Crossville, TN

#2311 Jul 27, 2012
Oooops, Apples is bad, I did not mean to make it sound like W.A. was related to Bennett, only that Bennett helped get W.A. in, I believe they were only friends. Perhaps kindred spirits.
puhleeze-

Cookeville, TN

#2312 Jul 27, 2012
o what a waste wrote:
<quoted text>I'm supposing government money is paying for all the lawsuits. Guess it has to be spent for something.
Better the money get spent on exposing a constant and serious money-leak than letting "them" spend it on their own crass taste in decorating!
How about the almost-300,000 spent on the legal "analysis" of the situation? We are supposed to believe that the legal bill for that bit of a plum was to protect the county's interest? I do not recall one bit of advice in that "report" on the concept of prosecuting those thieves and recovering as much money as possible, do you? THESE kinds of expenses were on-going, even after exposure, apparently. Whatever kind of expense it takes in prosecuting those greedy bast--ds is a pittance compared to what they have squandered. You think the public shouldn't spend some money to correct this? I may be overreacting to you, please forgive me if I am. You are probably writing in sarcasm of the idea of spending even more money; it is a true shame. However, we have to do what it takes to also deter others in our area from doing the same. Any way I look at it I see more expense to "fix" what of it we can. At least THIS money will be spent on something that is necessary, and maybe some invisible "others" will take heed and straighten up.(I know, I sound like a naive dreamer perhaps). I live in Monterey and our hearts are breaking over the closure of our Monterey High School and how some of our children have to finish their school years crammed into Uffelman Elementary's old school. Even if we didn't push to prosecute the bunch at ucdd, the money still wouldn't come quickly enough to fix our school problem.
o what a waste

Martin, TN

#2313 Jul 27, 2012
puhleeze- wrote:
<quoted text> Better the money get spent on exposing a constant and serious money-leak than letting "them" spend it on their own crass taste in decorating!
How about the almost-300,000 spent on the legal "analysis" of the situation? We are supposed to believe that the legal bill for that bit of a plum was to protect the county's interest? I do not recall one bit of advice in that "report" on the concept of prosecuting those thieves and recovering as much money as possible, do you? THESE kinds of expenses were on-going, even after exposure, apparently. Whatever kind of expense it takes in prosecuting those greedy bast--ds is a pittance compared to what they have squandered. You think the public shouldn't spend some money to correct this? I may be overreacting to you, please forgive me if I am. You are probably writing in sarcasm of the idea of spending even more money; it is a true shame. However, we have to do what it takes to also deter others in our area from doing the same. Any way I look at it I see more expense to "fix" what of it we can. At least THIS money will be spent on something that is necessary, and maybe some invisible "others" will take heed and straighten up.(I know, I sound like a naive dreamer perhaps). I live in Monterey and our hearts are breaking over the closure of our Monterey High School and how some of our children have to finish their school years crammed into Uffelman Elementary's old school. Even if we didn't push to prosecute the bunch at ucdd, the money still wouldn't come quickly enough to fix our school problem.
Please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I've been thorough the court system and I find usually the attorneys are the biggest winners. in any court case. Not blaming the attorneys, just the system. Must be a eaiser and cheaper way to find out the truth.
For All People

Livingston, TN

#2314 Jul 27, 2012
Don't know if you saw the Herald Citizen yesterday, but they are going to start running this:

History of the UCDD.

Even though the lawsuits and investigations going on behind the scenes of the Upper Cumberland Development District seem to have the public's attention, the agency's employees are doing the best they can to get their work done and get the necessary services out.

With all the publicity, some are asking what the UCDD is, how it came about and what exactly is it the agency does?

Read more: Herald Citizen - History of the UCDD

http://herald-citizen.com/view/full_story/195...

They have Creation, The Board, Services, and they have a whole list of things there and a whole list of questions that seems to be on our minds at exactly what UCDD does, and they are going to answer them over a period of time.

Just in case you are interested.
Apples

Crossville, TN

#2315 Jul 27, 2012
@ For all the people, It appears that HC has gotten their information from the UCDD website. I wouldn't trust their website any more then Wendy herself.
point of view

Cookeville, TN

#2316 Jul 27, 2012
As far as the Herald Citizen printing the "history" of UCDD, well, guess what..its a little too late to smooth the waters. People are not interested in what it is, just how it got in the "mess" that it is in NOW!!I can not help but believe that Wendy is behind that cause. She states she still believes in UCDD, taxpayers don't care if she believes in UCDD, just stay away. Nobody wants her near the place. She has caused enough trouble!
point of view

Cookeville, TN

#2317 Jul 27, 2012
For All People wrote:
Don't know if you saw the Herald Citizen yesterday, but they are going to start running this:
History of the UCDD.
Even though the lawsuits and investigations going on behind the scenes of the Upper Cumberland Development District seem to have the public's attention, the agency's employees are doing the best they can to get their work done and get the necessary services out.
With all the publicity, some are asking what the UCDD is, how it came about and what exactly is it the agency does?
Read more: Herald Citizen - History of the UCDD
http://herald-citizen.com/view/full_story/195...
They have Creation, The Board, Services, and they have a whole list of things there and a whole list of questions that seems to be on our minds at exactly what UCDD does, and they are going to answer them over a period of time.
Just in case you are interested.
I read the questions, but no one ask Wendy Askins, why she would put so much money,( that wasn't hers) in the expensive chandelier and the steam shower. Would like to ask her why she felt like this "Living the Dream" house should be her own little princess castle? There a lot of questions I would like to ask her, and then have the privilege of slapping her face.
Who

Cookeville, TN

#2318 Jul 27, 2012
UCDD director search approaching end
by Laura Militana Herald Citizen
27 mins 5 secs ago | 55 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
COOKEVILLE -- The journey is finished for the Upper Cumberland Development District director search committee. Now it's up to the full board as to who will be named the next director of the agency that has seen a lot of bad publicity lately.

The committee, after two days of interviews, recommended five people to go before the full board for a final interview.

"There's light at the end of the tunnel," Mike Gannon, chairman of the UCDD board and Cannon County executive, said. "We're getting close to the end of a long journey."

The five to go before the board at a special-called meeting -- set for Tuesday at 1 p.m.-- are:

* Mark Farley, White County finance director;

* Michelle Price, UCDD's research and planning director;

* Paul Rosson, former Lawrence County executive;

* James Kennedy

* Bill Woodard

Board members are already familiar with Woodard, as he made the cut at the Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency when that director search was going on.

This comes after some delays in getting the process started and some applicants that made the initial cut drop out in the last few days.

A few board members were present at the interviews, which took place Wednesday and Thursday.

The position of the agency's executive director has been under intense scrutiny since Wendy Askins resigned in late March after being placed on administrative leave earlier that month. Earl Carwile was appointed when Askins was put on administrative leave. He resigned -- initially with a two week notice -- in a scathing letter sent to board members in early June.

The board voted to relieve him of that position shortly following the receipt of the resignation and appointed Randy Williams, the agency's cultural resources manager, as interim.

Williams at first said he had no interest in applying for the permanent position, but applied and later withdrew his application before interviews began.

The salary was also recommended to start at $90,000, with a six month probationary period and the new director would start Aug. 15. The public is invited to attend Tuesday's special-called meeting.

Read more: Herald Citizen - UCDD director search approaching end
helping the poor

Martin, TN

#2319 Jul 27, 2012
By far, most government grants are applied for and awarded to other federal agencies, states, cities, colleges and universities, and research organizations. Few individuals have the money or expertise necessary to prepare adequate applications for federal grants. Most active grant-seekers, in fact, employ full time staffs to do nothing but apply for and administer federal grants
The Rest of the Story

Shelbyville, TN

#2320 Jul 27, 2012
Do you think Wendy Askins should be prosecuted for criminal activity related to UCDD and Living the Dream? A certain number of UCDD employees and a few select UCDD Board members do not think she should be prosecuted. Letís just cut to the chase. Randy Williams, Michelle Price, Patty Ray, Sherry Thurman and Chad Blair (Wendyís brother) are the only employees at UCDD that think Wendy should not be prosecuted. The UCDD Board members that think Wendy should not be prosecuted are Mike Foster, Mike Gannon, Michael Nesbitt, and John Pelham. So, that just about sums up Wendy Askins supporters. Wendyís supporters are few and far between, but if you had roamed the halls at UCDD this week, and read their website, you would have thought the building was full of Wendy supporters. Randy, Patty, Michelle and Sherry were running up the halls shouting with joy. Sherry Thurman surprised me.She wanted to see Wendy throw under the jail in February and March, and then she suddenly changed her mind. Wonder why? Sherry appeared to be suffering from a bad case of self-preservation back in the winter. In other words, she didnít want to go to prison with Wendy, so she decided to spill her guts in hopes of saving her own skin. Now, it appears that Sherry is suffering from amnesia. She just canít remember all the bad things Wendy did or asked her to do.

You have probably read that the Herald Citizen will be posting stories every day to help the citizens understand what is really going on inside UCDD. Donít believe it. The Herald Citizen is on board with the corruption at UCDD. They have promoted it and enabled the UCDD Board to cover up the corruption. Little Ms. Laura (reporter)has been in Michelle and Randyís office every day for the past two weeks. So, I am taking it upon myself to remind everyone of Wendyís crimes and the real story at UCDD. Starting today, I will post details of Wendyís crimes and continue to post details of her crimes to match the garbage that is going to be published by the HC rag. In addition, I will post details of her accomplices crimes as well including Michelle Price, Randy Williams, Patty Ray, Sherry Thurman and many others. I will also list detailed information of the UCDD Board members who assisted or enabled Wendy to commit these crimes.

Wendy Askins began the Living the Dream Retirement Home for the Aged in June 2010 with funding that was diverted from UCDD programs designated to assist the poor and elderly. She was assisted in these crimes by her deputy director, Larry Webb, and her director of planning, Michelle Price. Remember, she diverted $300,000 from the Aging Department at UCDD (programs to assist the elderly),$250,000 from the CRDC and CIC (programs to assist low income families with housing). She also forced UCDD employees to make donations to Living the Dream or face demotions and disciplinary action. Michelle Price, Randy Williams and Sherry Thurman all had knowledge of Wendyís criminal activity. It was Sherry Thurman who prepared the forged minutes of the Board Meeting where $300,000 of UCDD funds was approved to be transferred to Living the Dream. Remember the mysterious two sets of Board minutes? They are posted on News Channel 5 website. The bogus minutes is a crime, itís called Forgery and False Business Records.

In October 2010, Wendy Askins and her daughter, Anna Marie Askins, moved into the Living the Dream mansion. They enjoyed luxuries that most people can only dream of, hence, Living the Dream. Remember the $3,500 shower and $3,000 sauna? The only people who enjoyed those luxuries at Living the Dream were Wendy and Anna. Did I mention that UCDD employees were forced to help Wendy and Anna move all of their personal belongings to UCDD? Wendy used UCDD vehicles and employees for her own benefit. That is a crime, itís called Official Misconduct.
low or almost no income

Martin, TN

#2321 Jul 27, 2012
point of view wrote:
<quoted text>I read the questions, but no one ask Wendy Askins, why she would put so much money,( that wasn't hers) in the expensive chandelier and the steam shower. Would like to ask her why she felt like this "Living the Dream" house should be her own little princess castle? There a lot of questions I would like to ask her, and then have the privilege of slapping her face.
No hitting allowed. But I'm just a wanderin' how living the dream was for poor ppl, I know someone that lives on social security. Their monthly check is less than 7 hundred a month. So how could anyone with that small amount of income be able to pay 12 hundred a month for rent? It surely wasnt meant for low income ppl. Why does these thoughts, keep wanderin' around in my mind, they only get me in trouble for askin' so many questions that seem to have no answers.
The Rest of the Story

Shelbyville, TN

#2322 Jul 27, 2012
It is a shame that certain UCDD Board members (Gannon, Foster, Nesbitt, Pelham) have supported the widespread corruption that has existed for years at UCDD. Then they want to pretend their interest is to put UCDD back on the right track. Really? By promoting people within UCDD who helped create and promote corruption. These idiots must really think the public is stupid. The mere thought of recommending Michelle Price or Randy Williams as executive director is an insult to everyone in this community. But these idiots on the Board went one step further, they actually are trying to put Michelle Price in charge of agency that she helped Wendy Askins destroy. Hey, you idiots, I donít think that is a step forward, that is what you call going backwards. Why not just take a stroll through the Tennessee State Prison and select a new executive director? You would certainly find more qualified candidates there then you have selected in your final five. In fact, if you wait long enough, your choice will probably be a guest at the Tennessee State Prison for Women. Of course, I am talking about Michelle Price. I whole heartedly believe she is going to prison. I am not just wishful thinking, just look at the evidence. She assisted in hacking into someoneís e-mail and Facebook accounts. That is a crime, Michelle, I donít care what people around are saying, it is a serious crime. You will go to jail for that.

So, why would this Board even consider someone as a candidate for ED who is most likely going to end up in prison? This will be another blackeye for UCDD. Two directors in one year who have been removed for official misconduct and criminal behavior. The decisions made by this Board, or lack of decisions, proves that the Board is corrupt and incompetent. They certainly do not have the best interest of UCDD at heart. This Board is obviously out for REVENGE and they are not going to let common sense and rational thinking get in their way. They are more interested in who is posting on Topixs and talking to News Channel 5 than they are in putting UCDD back on the right track. They are also interested in getting rid of employees who will not play their game of corruption. There are a lot of good people who will be fired at UCDD for doing what is right. It is sad that we would allow this type of corruption to exist in our community.
Another good example of the incompetence of this Board is the way they have welcomed the letter from Wendy Askinsí attorney as a final word on the UCDD investigation. Are you stupid? Do you really believe that an attorney has the authority to decide when this investigation is over? Jack Lowery as great as he thinks he is in his own mind, he will not make any decisions about the UCDD investigations. In fact, he probably has hurt any chances he would have had of negotiating a plea deal for his client. Prosecutors do not like defense attorneys making statements about their investigations before the investigation is completed. Oh, Jackie boy has pissed a lot of people off in high places for jumping the gun on this investigation. He screwed his client by sending out this letter saying the investigation is over. The Board bought this hook, line and sinker and ran with the letter like a badge of honor. I have a feeling the Board and Jackie Boy are going to end up with egg on their faces. You donít piss off the people who are signing the warrants.

Letís all stand up for JUSTICE and gather at the meeting at UCDD on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM. There are good employees at UCDD who made great sacrifices and risk their jobs and lives to stop the madness and corruption at UCDD. These employees are now being targeted by this Board and the current administration at UCDD. Letís show our support for these employees who saved UCDD millions of dollars that was being funneled out of the agency at an alarming rate by Wendy Askins. It is time to stand up and demand JUSTICE.
The Finalist

Cookeville, TN

#2323 Jul 27, 2012
Which of the finalist do you believe to be the best candidate? Does anyone know anything about them?
Really now

Woodbury, TN

#2324 Jul 27, 2012
@The Rest of the Story - The difference between you and Paul Harvey is that his stories were true. You really should get an agent. You could have a great career in fiction.
point of view

Cookeville, TN

#2325 Jul 27, 2012
low or almost no income wrote:
<quoted text>No hitting allowed. But I'm just a wanderin' how living the dream was for poor ppl, I know someone that lives on social security. Their monthly check is less than 7 hundred a month. So how could anyone with that small amount of income be able to pay 12 hundred a month for rent? It surely wasnt meant for low income ppl. Why does these thoughts, keep wanderin' around in my mind, they only get me in trouble for askin' so many questions that seem to have no answers.
If I had the chance to ask Wendy Askins questions, to which, I would not get a straight and honest answer, then I should have the right to slap her silly for not telling the truth. But in reality, this will not happen, so I will live in my "living the dream" fantasy world and hope for the best outcome.
low or almost no income

Martin, TN

#2326 Jul 27, 2012
point of view wrote:
<quoted text> If I had the chance to ask Wendy Askins questions, to which, I would not get a straight and honest answer, then I should have the right to slap her silly for not telling the truth. But in reality, this will not happen, so I will live in my "living the dream" fantasy world and hope for the best outcome.
No! you still wouldn't have the right to slap her silly, if you had the right to go around slapping people silly, for not telling the truth in just a little bit you would wear your hand out from slapping people silly, because its hard anymore to get anyone to tell the truth, its just not the american way. Sad to say.
Outside for sure

Columbia, TN

#2327 Jul 27, 2012
No to Michelle Price- current employee and no on Bill Woodard. He is the cousin to Mike Nesbitt! If these folks are chosen UCDD will be right back in the shape it is in! The board needs to consider these facts. We the people of Upper Cumberland are watching! Come on Board DO THE RIGHT THING!
Apples

Crossville, TN

#2328 Jul 27, 2012
The board will appoint whoever they think will help them cover up their tracks, hide their stealing, and agree to their lies. They will do this because they don't know any other way. They think everyone else does the same thing. So if you even try to talk rightousness, they just figure you are a hippcrite and a liar, the same as them. To ask the board members to try to do the right thing, is like trying to ask them to stop breathing. They can't.

"How do you know the board members aren't telling the truth"?

"Their lips are moving".
Apples

Crossville, TN

#2329 Jul 27, 2012
I ment hipocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No money for teachers but plenty for land+const... 9 min Nobama 45
Why liberals are wrong about Trump 18 min victor 8
Butch chaffin must go 25 min Butch Sucks 4
?illegals in Cookeville? 36 min Educated Atheist 202
Cummins Filtration/Johnny Bull 1 hr Surrounded By Idiots 3
Just say no to pagan rituals 4 hr Cge 12
Steroids 9 hr Lemme 2
Let's build the wall! 17 hr salestax 123

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web