Goodwill sell used coats for over $15
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Cookeville, TN

#45 Jan 13, 2011
I am very glad I read this post. I havent lived in cookeville very long, well...since last June. I really dont have to work, but just wanted to get out of the house. I have looked for part time work, and when I apply, the places say they are all hiring, and need help, but then keep checking back, and they never call you. They say they have such high turn over rates with the college kids, then why dont they take notice and hire someone who maybe really wants to work, instead of someone who is going to work only while they are here going to school. I told the places I would work anytime, and flexable. But I even thought about doing volunteer work at the GW, but maybe I will rethink that. I love animals, but it just makes me sad when I see the animals there, but that is my next choice, is the animal shelter.
I was in the GW a while back, and noticed their prices were pretty high, and not only that, but the store wasnt the cleanest. I have been in some nice goodwill's before, and this was not one of the top ones. If anyone has been in there recently, do they have a pretty good selection of paperback books, and are they up to date authors? How about the prices on their books? Do they do the half price deal on the paperback books? I thought I saw that they have some deal on tuesday and wednesday also, does anyone know about that?
DISagree

Cookeville, TN

#46 Jan 14, 2011
parent wondering wrote:
do they have a pretty good selection of paperback books, and are they up to date authors? How about the prices on their books? Do they do the half price deal on the paperback books? I thought I saw that they have some deal on tuesday and wednesday also, does anyone know about that?
No, the manager and a few of the workers go through the books and things and pick out the good ones, some not even to read, just to take home and sell themselves on eBay..It's fact. Anything good that goes through our Cookeville Goodwill is taken by the greedy employees and manager, And anything else there gets the price jacked up so they can still make their quota $ amount by the end of the month by selling the bad things they didn't want at a few dollars extra. Everyone knows it around here if you've ever known anyone who works at Goodwill. They don't really hide it.
True

Cookeville, TN

#47 Jan 14, 2011
It's true. I wont shop there now after having a friend that worked there who told me everything that goes on in the Cookeville store. Go to any other surrounding Goodwill and they have decently good items and at Goodwill prices. Clothes in Cookeville are cheaper right now BRAND NEW at Rugged Warehouse & Wal-Mart to mention a couple, NOT used/worn, but NEW and there is no call for that considering theirs were FREE DONATIONS. They do truly keep everything good they can and mark up the bad/unwanted stuff to compensate.
betsy

Charlotte, NC

#48 Oct 1, 2012
I officially will never shop at goodwill again. Went in to the one in Durham, nc on garrett rd and coat prices are $20-$30. What in the world is going on? I have shopped at the goodwill a long time and have never seen this. Consignment stores are cheaper than this. Obviously they are not trying to help out the needy. Have they changed their principles and values?
yup yup

Cookeville, TN

#49 Oct 1, 2012
Actually went to the Goodwill here today. They are still charging more than $20 for KIDS COATS! Are they joking with those prices? For another 12, I went and bought one brand new.
Poor boy

Cookeville, TN

#50 Oct 1, 2012
I have seen their prices go up over the years.
I do not know their thinking but would guess they have a target or money goal to make.
I enjoy looking but do not buy nearly as much from them.
There are several smaller thrift stores in the area, however I think if they had a larger one it would be more competive.
will

United States

#51 Oct 2, 2012
Like every place else goodwill has increased prices in the last few years. Also like every place else no one is forcing you to buy from them. Personally I still like to look for good quality vintage clothing there made in the USA as opposed to buying new stuff made in china that fades the first time its washed. I still go to goodwill but don't buy nearly the amount I used to---people are hanging on to their stuff longer now and the selection just isn't what it once was.
99 CENTS

Mcminnville, TN

#52 Dec 21, 2012
I BOUGHT 4 NAME BRAND WINTER COATS FOR 99CENTS EACH.
EVERY WEDNESDAY AND SUNDAYS ARE 99 CENT CLOTHES DAY

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#53 Dec 23, 2012
Not true about employees taking clothes and other donations. They would be closed if that happened. If you've got proof of wrong doing by our local Goodwill then take it to the Goodwill headquarters if not then stop spreading bullsh\t rumors.

If you don't like Goodwill then go buy your Faded Glory coat made in china at Wallyworld like a good little lemming. Just don't wash it or wear it---either one will make it come apart.

I just bought an LL Bean wool plaid shirt for 4 bucks at Goodwill about 2 weeks ago. Practically new and with proper care will last a lifetime.
Hope

Cookeville, TN

#54 Dec 23, 2012
I heard that the new store in Algood is going to carry clothes soon...based on the prices of their other items, I think they'll have some good deals. Cant wait!
daisy

Cookeville, TN

#55 Dec 23, 2012
Hope wrote:
I heard that the new store in Algood is going to carry clothes soon...based on the prices of their other items, I think they'll have some good deals. Cant wait!
What store are you talking about?
Hope

Cookeville, TN

#56 Dec 23, 2012
Junk in the trunk. It's across the street from McDonalds.
overpriced

Westmoreland, TN

#57 Dec 25, 2012
Goodwill is definitely overpriced. Its ridiculous ! Is it privately owned ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
eating 150.00 worth of wings 24 min bo bo 4
Big talkers 25 min Tim 6
Logans 1 hr Haaaaa 9
Women's Health Services 1 hr soon to be mom 23
Tenncare and Wic question 3 hr Zach 16
Neighbors put a gate across my driveway (Sep '12) 4 hr thumper 43
Black lives matter 4 hr Ferguson 55

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance