United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2011

TiGeR wrote:
Cookeville has never had to travel to Clarksville. In 2009, Clarksville's first season, Clarksville and Cookeville came to an agreement and played half the distance in Goodlettsville. In 2010, Clarksvile travel to Cookeville.
if you want your kid to play in a good football system, better move to Murfreesboro cause CHS football sucks because of politics like I read here.
cyf cheerleading

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2011

LCHS Class of 1994 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Salmons (Jerry & Sharon) do have kids, but they are grown.
The story is that they are the ones that started Cookeville youth Football...that all happened before I was around, so I don't know. but yes they are still a big part of the league around here.
they are horrible
and the coach (if the same woman is coaching) is a lazy slob
they should not have anything to do with the program... Many more children would join if it were ran differently.
saw other teams through out the season that were managed so much better.
also the other teams seemed to manage money better to... better uniforms and equipment for cheer and football

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2011

cyf cheerleading wrote:
<quoted text>they are horrible
and the coach (if the same woman is coaching) is a lazy slob
they should not have anything to do with the program... Many more children would join if it were ran differently.
saw other teams through out the season that were managed so much better.
also the other teams seemed to manage money better to... better uniforms and equipment for cheer and football
The CYF Cheer Director is the President of the TYFA Cheer Directors. Obviously she's doing something right for the others to re-elect her year after year. If you really want to know what those other teams have that Cookeville doesn't, it's the support of their football players, coaches & parents. Other communities show up to support their girls at competition and bring their players after the game. I can't recall a year that Cookeville has showed up at competition like that.
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2011

My thing is what has youth football done for the HS? Nothing! We get beat in youth football every time we travel to the boro or nashville. Same as in HS.
Success

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

Boys look fired up out there this year. Heres to a great year!
yep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

HS will still get beat like a drum anytime they play a school from the boro.
No Drama

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Concerned Parent wrote:
You must have ice in your blood to not think any more of your kids than that!for your info a family with more than child can not cram with another family!Before long the league will be Cookeville Chearleading.Explain why CYF could not get enough kids for a peewee team?
Actually, I have two boys that play in this league and due to the costs being lowered we have had no problem financially. The people on the board are very nice and will do anything to help people get their kids involved. My husband is the only one working right now due to me having a high risk pregnancy, they are working with us. As far as gas prices go, there are so many people that would be willing to carpool and half up the gas. That way it would be cheaper for everyone. My boys absolutely love it and my husband, daughter, and I absolutely love to watch them and how they enjoy it.
No Drama

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Oh my goodness!!! I've noticed anytime something positive happens or is going on in this town, there always has to be negativity thrown around about it. My brother is the quarterback coach at Oakland in the 'boro and they teach their team to maintain a positive demeanor towards other teams no matter what. If this was practiced more in this area instead of all the negativity there would be a more positive outcome.
Local

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Looks like they have a good sized peewee team to me. They had to have around 16 or 17 boys over there this week.
PeeWee Parent

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

I think there is 15 kids on the peewee team. We are all excited. We look forward to working with the coaches and being a new team. GO CAVS!!!! If the parents are positive then the boys will be positive too. Work HARD Play even HARDER and work on what you can do better Next time.-Amen
conservative

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Go out and watch them practice.It's humbling.Extraordiny attitudes from the kids and coaches.Each and every one of those boys are out there giving one hundred and ten percent,not giving up,not a single one of them, in full gear, in 100 degree heat.And they're having fun.You know it's funny,we try to teach our kids all about life,but our kids teach us what life's all about.
ARE YOU SERIOUS

Sparta, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

LikeSeriously wrote:
Some people will find anything to complain about. Why don't y'all go let your kids play in the Baxter league if it's so wonderful?
The Baxter youth football league is an absolute ridiculous joke!! Before I'd let my child play for that sorry league, he wouldn't play at all!!! In the end, it isn't any cheaper either because they are always wanting money for something, but you never see where the money is going or what for!!
conservative

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

ARE YOU SERIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
The Baxter youth football league is an absolute ridiculous joke!! Before I'd let my child play for that sorry league, he wouldn't play at all!!! In the end, it isn't any cheaper either because they are always wanting money for something, but you never see where the money is going or what for!!
Please don't take this the wrong way,but it's not about you or me.It's about the kids.What does it matter if a league is a joke or not, so long as your child wants to play and is having fun.Isn't that what it's all about!I'm sorry.That's just my opinion.
garrett

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

No we still have to go to nashivile and ii im one of the players

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

garrett wrote:
No we still have to go to nashivile and ii im one of the players
My daughter cheer for VARSITY!!!! And as of tonight VARSITY FOOTBALL TEAM is gone...... cause of something that happened or I should say what the coach did.
family

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

LCHS Class of 1994 wrote:
<quoted text>
THEY DO NOT have any Grandkids playing ---- you may have said involved but none playing. Get your facts straight.
And yes, I do think the league should be run by the current run of parents so that the kids are treated fairly. I have often wondered why adult men like to get their kicks from being the BIG MAN of the youth football league? Get real and get a real job. Let the parents of the current bunch of kids run it and then each year, you get new blood.***And to the other gentlemen that stated we would be sick of watching littler towns beat us, The only reason those Livingston and Sparta teams would beat us is because those kids have played together since they were 5. We can't keep a core team together b/c of the travel,costs,etc. Also, I think we have seen the reward of the team that stays together. The CHS Freshman (that beat Riverdale this year) was a core group that came up thru CYF/TYFA and that core group of boys played in the TYFA Championship game their last year. I think we will also reap the rewards of the 5th and 6th graders that have came up thru CYF and they will also be a good team for ATMS and CHS because us parents have stuck it out and played for 5 years in the TYFA league. We suffered so they can be better in high school. I don't support staying in TYFA only because I think more boys would get to play if there was not so much travel.
Get YOUR facts straight before telling someone else get theirs straight. The Samons have great grandchildren playing in the league. They did start the league when the Optimist Club dropped football. There would not have been a football program for youth here at that time. They did it all with donations only and alot of hard work. They do it because they love kids and football. The board has changed I don't know how many times over the years and gets voted every 2 years. Evidently others feel they should still be there because they always get voted for. As for now, they have both retired from the league this year because the parents tried to run the thing their way without board approval and the majority of the board had no back bone to stop them and ran it into the ground. Money was stolen, coaches were ejected, parents where banned. It was a horrible year and an embarrassment to them and Cookeville. Lets see how next year goes without them.
no drama

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

LikeSeriously wrote:
I'd love to know how it costs you $65-$100 to travel to a ballgame once a week. A ballgame that is FREE to attend. I'm sorry but that's a joke. I travel every weekend in middle tennessee and couldn't spend that much in gas if I tried. Sounds like you just don't want your kid playing on a losing team. I'd rather my child play and lose than not play at all. Good attitude to have there.
Both of my boys have played for CYF TYFA and The coaches had a fit over how well they play. However, it is expensive to get them in the league and yes, I easily spent $65-$100 per out of town game. It costs $80+ to fill up my tank and the expense to feed 2 hungry growing boys + 4 others is expensive. Unless you are financially stacked, it does make it very hard.
CHS Football Player

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Wow thanks for the motivation. Y'all are great fans.We are her to prove you wrong . On to state.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

no drama wrote:
<quoted text>Both of my boys have played for CYF TYFA and The coaches had a fit over how well they play. However, it is expensive to get them in the league and yes, I easily spent $65-$100 per out of town game. It costs $80+ to fill up my tank and the expense to feed 2 hungry growing boys + 4 others is expensive. Unless you are financially stacked, it does make it very hard.
If it cost $80 to fill up your tank and you are using a whole tank to travel to any of the TYFA fields and back then you need a new car. That doesn't have anything to do with TYFA. I travel between Cookeville and those other communities often and don't spend nearly that much. If you played at home or in Baxter or Livingston, your kids would still have to eat wouldn't they? Pack a lunch! It's not that hard.
no drama

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

LikeSeriously wrote:
<quoted text>
If it cost $80 to fill up your tank and you are using a whole tank to travel to any of the TYFA fields and back then you need a new car. That doesn't have anything to do with TYFA. I travel between Cookeville and those other communities often and don't spend nearly that much. If you played at home or in Baxter or Livingston, your kids would still have to eat wouldn't they? Pack a lunch! It's not that hard.
I guess I have to type a lil slower for you, I have my husband and 4 kids and we have a big van for that purpose. Also the attitude behind your statement makes you sound like a jerk. My daughter even wanted to play this year as well as my boys again, but it seems as though the people over it have changed and act as you have on here. You eat a snack after playing a full solid game in 100+ heat and see how good it makes you feel. As I stated earlier the teams use to carpool which helped on gas, and yes your nosiness, it does take $80 to fill up and uses about a lil over 3/4 tank to get to places like Spring Hill and back. By the way I didn't speak negative at all about CYF TYFA. My boys had fun regardless all the losses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Cookeville Forum right now

Search the Cookeville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 12 min WTSenior 141,476
Shutdown UCDD and UCHRA 25 min old soldier 39
Soon to be Sheriff Farris 52 min Sarah Beth 44
veronica richards (Apr '13) 2 hr Reverend 45
Need to know 3 hr Need to know 5
Democrat Obama is Making JOBS America. (Apr '12) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 47
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 4 hr jarda 8,594
•••
•••
•••
•••

Cookeville Jobs

•••