First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Cookeville, TN

#1 Feb 9, 2011
I heard Cookeville Youth Football was was going to a local league this year & getting out of all the expensive traveling .If so I'm excited.Can someone tell me something.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 11, 2011
I haven't heard anything about CYF getting out of the TYFA league this year.
"Expensive Traveling"? Really? They only go to Middle Tennessee locations.
When Cookeville had a local league, they had to charge admission in order to support themselves. You'll pay as much in admission for a family to come to a local league game as you will for gas to Nashville.
LCHS Class of 1994

Cookeville, TN

#3 Feb 11, 2011
the Vote was close, but the CYF league decided to stay with TYFA.
and as to Seriously, Yes there is TRAVEL.
Clarksville,
Shelbyville,
Bellvue,
- the local league that Baxter is in would be considereed small travel compared to these places.
"They only go to Middle Tennessee locations"
Middle TN is a big area....
We have played in CYF for 6 years, since my son was first able to play. I would have loved for him to finish out his last two years with CYF and see us move around here so we don't get beat so often. Sometimes we did win, but not often. The boys would get tired of losing-not very fun.
My family loves football-but next year, my son will be playing for ATMS as a 6th grader-even if he rides the bench.

Location hidden

#4 Feb 11, 2011
I never said there was no travel, so I'm not sure why you are saying "yes there is travel". I questioned Concerned Parent's statement of "expensive travel".

I'm very well aware of how big Middle Tennessee is, but I wouldn't call it expensive travel when all you have to pay for is the gas. You don't have to pay admission to the games. You can pack a lunch and carpool.

If you think CYF is expensive then you're in for a rude awakening when you hit middle and high school ball.

I've been involved with youth football in Cookeville in one way or another since it was just local elementary school teams, in the early 90s. And then moved to form their own league later on, before joining TYFA.

The boys in Cookeville were forced to be opponents for many years and then were expected to play as teammates in Jr. High and High School. With TYFA, they can all play as Cavaliers, which is how most of them will end up someday when playing for CHS. They will practice together, travel together and cheer for each other. And that will help build strong high school teams.

I'm confused about your last statement. Are you saying you'd rather your son sit ride the bench on a winning team than play for a losing team?
Concerned Parent

Cookeville, TN

#5 Feb 13, 2011
AS for like seriously ,when you spend 65-100 dollars on a Saturday to watch your childs team get dragged all over the feild & slaughtered & humiliated.GET REAL! I would rather pay a few dollars per person for admission &watch my child's team compete,and just travel to the county beside us.Obviously you do not have a child playing.My children will not play tyfa.Tyfa good organization, but not for cookeville.Wonder how much gas will be this summer?

Location hidden

#6 Feb 13, 2011
I'd love to know how it costs you $65-$100 to travel to a ballgame once a week. A ballgame that is FREE to attend. I'm sorry but that's a joke. I travel every weekend in middle tennessee and couldn't spend that much in gas if I tried. Sounds like you just don't want your kid playing on a losing team. I'd rather my child play and lose than not play at all. Good attitude to have there.
Concerned Parent

Cookeville, TN

#7 Feb 14, 2011
You must have ice in your blood to not think any more of your kids than that!for your info a family with more than child can not cram with another family!Before long the league will be Cookeville Chearleading.Explain why CYF could not get enough kids for a peewee team?
rolling thunder

United States

#8 Feb 14, 2011
The baxter youth league is a whole lot better. They play local teams like Livingstone, hartsville, monterey.......and they can have enough teams were everyone can play and not ride the bench. I know several prominent members of the Cookeville hs team who came up threw baxter youth league. Now with Uppermans new coaches at hs, wonder how many will start staying and playing for UHS because of Cookeville youth league stinks.
LCHS Class of 1994

Cookeville, TN

#9 Feb 14, 2011
LikeSeriously wrote:
I never said there was no travel, so I'm not sure why you are saying "yes there is travel". I questioned Concerned Parent's statement of "expensive travel".
I'm very well aware of how big Middle Tennessee is, but I wouldn't call it expensive travel when all you have to pay for is the gas. You don't have to pay admission to the games. You can pack a lunch and carpool.
If you think CYF is expensive then you're in for a rude awakening when you hit middle and high school ball.
I've been involved with youth football in Cookeville in one way or another since it was just local elementary school teams, in the early 90s. And then moved to form their own league later on, before joining TYFA.
The boys in Cookeville were forced to be opponents for many years and then were expected to play as teammates in Jr. High and High School. With TYFA, they can all play as Cavaliers, which is how most of them will end up someday when playing for CHS. They will practice together, travel together and cheer for each other. And that will help build strong high school teams.
I'm confused about your last statement. Are you saying you'd rather your son sit ride the bench on a winning team than play for a losing team?
#1 I guess our idea of what is "expensive" are two different ideas. As for the lunches, I do pack them and also snacks. I am not going to carpool because there are 4 in my family and we can afford to drive it-even those gas is high and when you drive to Clarksville and Shelbyville it does take a tank of gas.
#2 We do have to pay a fee for the Jamboree & the Playoff game
#3 Middle and High school ball is different because we will win some of the games and I can put my kid on the bus to ride to the away games if I don't want to go with him, as a little kid, I want to be there during the Youth Football games. I will pay for my kid to play whatever game he / she wants to play as long as they want to. Money is (fortunately) not an issue for me but I have lots of single parent friends and IT IS an issue for them.
#4 The last statement about my kid riding the bench, my point was I have been told 6th graders won't get to play at ATMS but they will be part of the team and get to dress out. I am not sure if they have actually decided on this or not, but YES I would rather my kid not get to play at ATMS and ride the bench for his 1st year, instead of playing TYFA and then going into 7th grade as a ATMS player that doesn't know any of his fellow kids.- Isn't this kinda what you were talking about before? I mean, the kids were opponents, but I don't see why we couldnt have a CYF team just like now that would play local games, like, Sparta, Livingston, Baxter,etc.
I was told when we first entered the CYF family that we played in TYFA because Jerry Joslin wanted the youth teams to get used to playing NAshville teams, but the reality, is, we don't play any of the teams the High school plays.
this raises another question, if we went to another league, are you saying we stil couldn't be the Cavs?
I don't come from Cookeville, so I can't speak on how it was, but only how it has been since 2005
Waiting

Cookeville, TN

#10 Feb 14, 2011
What happened to a parent meeting? Do we not have a say in this?

Location hidden

#11 Feb 14, 2011
Some people will find anything to complain about. Why don't y'all go let your kids play in the Baxter league if it's so wonderful?
yearight

United States

#12 Feb 15, 2011
LikeSeriously wrote:
Some people will find anything to complain about. Why don't y'all go let your kids play in the Baxter league if it's so wonderful?
My opinion is all Youth, Jr. High, and High School football stinks in Putnam County. CHS plays in weakest 6a district in state, and gets bounced ever time the play outside this district. UHS program is even worse. So that tells the story right there.
Concerned Parent

Cookeville, TN

#13 Feb 15, 2011
'Lak Seriously'you have not made one good argument on behalf of CYF the whole time you have been on here.Tell us why CYF could not get enough kids for a PeeWee Team.Tell us why our numbers are not there.Tell us why it is that we scrimaged Livingston & Sparta and could not hold our own.Tell us why you are so intent to watch CYF fewer kids every year?The Cookeville Youth Football should be about what is in the best for the kids of this area. The best argument you have is just leave then .You lak leadership "Lak Seriously"
been there done that

United States

#14 Feb 15, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
'Lak Seriously'you have not made one good argument on behalf of CYF the whole time you have been on here.Tell us why CYF could not get enough kids for a PeeWee Team.Tell us why our numbers are not there.Tell us why it is that we scrimaged Livingston & Sparta and could not hold our own.Tell us why you are so intent to watch CYF fewer kids every year?The Cookeville Youth Football should be about what is in the best for the kids of this area. The best argument you have is just leave then .You lak leadership "Lak Seriously"
Cookeville sports have always been more about who you are than how you play. CYF fits the bill keeping an exclusive group in football. Same as in HS were it coast 400 to play baseball.....now what tax bracket kids do you think are playing? Why has Livingstone won state in football and girls bball, Sparta in boys bball, Upperman in baseball.......cause Cookeville is about elite class and not total participation, and best player wins.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 15, 2011
I don't need to make any arguments for CYF. If you don't like it either move on or get on the board and do something about it.

Arguing with someone on a gossip website isn't going to change anything for you. So why don't you attend a meeting or something and stop hiding behind your computer screen.

There's a website for CYF and for TYFA. You could have easily went to either and sent an eMail to ask if Cookeville was moving out of the TYFA league. But instead, you came here to trash CYF because your kid doesn't get to be the star quarterback or something.

If you and your child can't handle riding the bench or losing games then I suggest you move on to something like art classes or gardening maybe.
been there done that

United States

#16 Feb 15, 2011
LikeSeriously wrote:
I don't need to make any arguments for CYF. If you don't like it either move on or get on the board and do something about it.
Arguing with someone on a gossip website isn't going to change anything for you. So why don't you attend a meeting or something and stop hiding behind your computer screen.
There's a website for CYF and for TYFA. You could have easily went to either and sent an eMail to ask if Cookeville was moving out of the TYFA league. But instead, you came here to trash CYF because your kid doesn't get to be the star quarterback or something.
If you and your child can't handle riding the bench or losing games then I suggest you move on to something like art classes or gardening maybe.
. Answer this: how has this league helped cookeville high school football? Cookeville is 3rd largest in state and stinks outside upper cumberland. Why is it better that 30 kids play and most riding bench when you could have 7-8 teams of 15, and everyone get a chance? My name is Harold Jackson......what's yours?
Big Bobby

United States

#17 Feb 15, 2011
been there done that wrote:
<quoted text>. Answer this: how has this league helped cookeville high school football? Cookeville is 3rd largest in state and stinks outside upper cumberland. Why is it better that 30 kids play and most riding bench when you could have 7-8 teams of 15, and everyone get a chance? My name is Harold Jackson......what's yours?
right on brotha.......cookeville knows who the quaterback is 6-7 years in advance....just ask Hennigan. We all know his backup was way better, but politics took over.
who

Clover, SC

#18 Feb 15, 2011
Who are the youth coaches?

Location hidden

#19 Feb 15, 2011
been there done that wrote:
<quoted text>. Why is it better that 30 kids play and most riding bench when you could have 7-8 teams of 15, and everyone get a chance? My name is Harold Jackson......what's yours?
Teams of 15 kids? That's funny. You'd have about 9 show up every Saturday. If you want your kid to play all the time then have him take up Tennis or Golf or something. Football is a TEAM sport, and it makes no sense for a coach to play their worst players more than the best players.

I'm sure your name is really Herold Jackson. I'm not the one who has a problem with CYF and running my mouth about them. So I don't really feel any need to disclose my name.
LCHS Class of 1994

Cookeville, TN

#20 Feb 15, 2011
who wrote:
Who are the youth coaches?
My husband has been a coach since 2006 in the CYF league, and to the other persons post, We have tried to get on the board, but because there are STILL people on the board whose children have already graudate HIGH SCHOOL, there is not a place on the board.
they are highly guarded places on that CYF board, believe me I have tried to weasel my way in....and I have been to meetings buddy and have spoken my mind and I get laughed at by the others:
Mr. Herd and Mr. Frances all have told me that they will never get out of TYFA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
food stamps 3 hr Truth 11
Need info on Attorney Pat Officer PLEASE! (Apr '16) 3 hr Truth 17
The Veterans Barbershop has changed 6 hr EMT 5
Straight guys SUCK (Mar '12) 8 hr straight 45
Williams lighting 9 hr Wizard 17
Review: Cash Express Corporate Office (Jun '11) 12 hr Martha 57
Join the band wagon/cheap property 12 hr The Judge 4

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance