Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New 2 town

Pine Knot, KY

#1 Feb 20, 2011
I'm new to town and was wondering what the best barbershop is in
Cookeville or Sparta? I'm in the Marine Reserves and need a barber who is not afraid to go really short. Does any shop do straight razor shaves? Thanks
Worked there

Manchester, TN

#2 Feb 21, 2011
Veteran's Barber Shop.....over by the Greyhound bus station
hello

Cookeville, TN

#3 Feb 21, 2011
Worked there wrote:
Veteran's Barber Shop.....over by the Greyhound bus station
which one are you? they have 2 barbers?

“Out East”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 22, 2011
Veteran's Barber Shop its great
thegood

Cookeville, TN

#5 Feb 22, 2011
Cross Cuts on tenth st.
bubba

Columbia, SC

#6 Feb 22, 2011
i'd go with vetran's it's a really good cut, sometime u have to wait, but in my opinion that means they're doing a good job.(it's a barber shop not a salon)i think they do straight razor cuts but i'm not entirely sure on that.
Didntt really work there

Manchester, TN

#7 Feb 22, 2011
I didn't work there, I just forgot to change my name from a previous post. Jonathan and Mike are the 2 barbers there. I know Mike does straight razor cuts. I went to school with him.
it is sweet

Mcminnville, TN

#8 Feb 22, 2011
have you tried silver clippers they are a shop also. one of the girls does a shave with a safty razor but it is wroth it try her i think u will be happy.
been going since 98

Livingston, TN

#9 Feb 23, 2011
village barber shop on tenth street. russel is the man. only 10 bucks
Yep

Cookeville, TN

#10 Feb 23, 2011
The Best Barber Shop in town is next to Goodyear on Willow Ave. I used to go to Veterans, which is good too, but now I go there. Best in town.
pack

Kingsport, TN

#11 Feb 23, 2011
I went to campbells barber shop On the corner of jefferson and spring. it only cost me 9 dollars and was the best haircut since I moved here
My kind of place

Cookeville, TN

#12 Feb 27, 2011
I am not a barber but I love barber shops. I've moved around with my career and whenever I move somewhere new I try to find an oldschool barber shop that gives clean cuts and uses a straight razor. I've been to every barber shop in Cookeville and here's what I've found.

Village is pretty good but with the women in there if feels like it's half salon. Crosscuts is the black shop. Also half salon. The guy at Gentleman's is good if you like a massage with your haircut (creepy). Johnny's is a decent "hole in the wall" kind of place but there's only one guy there and when I went he was yakking on the phone the whole time. Bill's in Algood was great but I didn't get a neck shave and he's got to be close to retirement age. Campbell's was okay. Cute shop but something didn't quite feel right to me. Maybe it's because the shop is new. Watson's was a little strange to me. The guy seemed grumpy and there were screaming kids in there the whole time. Maybe I just went on a bad day.

For me, Veterans is exactly what I was looking for. I knew as soon as I walked in that it was my kind of place. Clean shop, big American and Marine flags on the wall (and lots of other cool stuff) and two barbers who can cut and have a sense of humor. It just felt right to me. Plus they use a vacuum with their clippers and a you get a straight blade neck shave after your cut.

The downside of Veterans is that they're always busy so expect a wait. They charge 11 bucks which isn't the cheapest cut around but still a good price. Not the cheapest and still having a line all the time probably means their doing something right.
Marine 0311

Cookeville, TN

#13 Feb 28, 2011
Veterans. Best military cuts hands down.
Ruger

Darlington, SC

#14 Feb 28, 2011
My kind of place wrote:
I am not a barber but I love barber shops. I've moved around with my career and whenever I move somewhere new I try to find an oldschool barber shop that gives clean cuts and uses a straight razor. I've been to every barber shop in Cookeville and here's what I've found.
Village is pretty good but with the women in there if feels like it's half salon. Crosscuts is the black shop. Also half salon. The guy at Gentleman's is good if you like a massage with your haircut (creepy). Johnny's is a decent "hole in the wall" kind of place but there's only one guy there and when I went he was yakking on the phone the whole time. Bill's in Algood was great but I didn't get a neck shave and he's got to be close to retirement age. Campbell's was okay. Cute shop but something didn't quite feel right to me. Maybe it's because the shop is new. Watson's was a little strange to me. The guy seemed grumpy and there were screaming kids in there the whole time. Maybe I just went on a bad day.
For me, Veterans is exactly what I was looking for. I knew as soon as I walked in that it was my kind of place. Clean shop, big American and Marine flags on the wall (and lots of other cool stuff) and two barbers who can cut and have a sense of humor. It just felt right to me. Plus they use a vacuum with their clippers and a you get a straight blade neck shave after your cut.
The downside of Veterans is that they're always busy so expect a wait. They charge 11 bucks which isn't the cheapest cut around but still a good price. Not the cheapest and still having a line all the time probably means their doing something right.
Smart advertisement Johnathan
Veterans Barber Shop

Cookeville, TN

#15 Mar 1, 2011
My name is Jonathan Williams and this will be the one and only time I post on here. I appreciate the kind words that have been written about Veterans Barber Shop, which I own, but I have had nothing to do with any of these posts.

I have worked hard over the past 4+ years to build a solid business and I do not and will not speak poorly of any of my competitors. I wish them all well as there is enough business to go around. I have no idea who any of these other people are and I have not put anyone up to getting on here and talking about my shop or anyone else's.

If any of you want to visit me or Mike at Veterans, come on down. If you go to another shop, that's okay too. Whatever you do, please don't accuse me or insinuate that I or anyone acting on my behalf is posting on here. I have better things to do than to get on an anonymous discussion board and run down the competition. My reputation is too important for such pettiness. That's all.
Sarge

United States

#16 Mar 2, 2011
I go to Johnny's after trying others mentioned on here.
weak

Cookeville, TN

#17 Apr 2, 2011
My kind of place wrote:
promoting a place by insulting everyone else..must be shop owners, they are bad busines men
weak

Cookeville, TN

#18 Apr 2, 2011
Veterans Barber Shop wrote:
My name is Jonathan Williams and this will be the one and only time I post on here. I appreciate the kind words that have been written about Veterans Barber Shop, which I own, but I have had nothing to do with any of these posts.
I have worked hard over the past 4+ years to build a solid business and I do not and will not speak poorly of any of my competitors. I wish them all well as there is enough business to go around. I have no idea who any of these other people are and I have not put anyone up to getting on here and talking about my shop or anyone else's.
If any of you want to visit me or Mike at Veterans, come on down. If you go to another shop, that's okay too. Whatever you do, please don't accuse me or insinuate that I or anyone acting on my behalf is posting on here. I have better things to do than to get on an anonymous discussion board and run down the competition. My reputation is too important for such pettiness. That's all.
sure..whatever!
family owened

Cookeville, TN

#19 Apr 3, 2011
I have gone to Village Barber on 10th for many yrs. It is family owened and has been in business for over 20 yrs. everyone there does great haircuts.
Truth

Cookeville, TN

#20 Mar 18, 2013
When jonathon Williams of Veterans Barber Shop was with CPD I was a young man who had a pioneer navigation unit installed in my vehicle. He pulled me over on 111 one night on the way to the gym wrote me a ticket for "driving while watching tv" the following day the headline of the herald was just that and was on channel 2, 4, & 5 news cost me$800 for a atty & $200 court costs and had to remove the unit from my truck. This was before nav units were popular I was 19 then $1k was not easy to come by. REDICULOUS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is it 2 hr yep 8
Wendy Askins (Jul '15) 7 hr FINAL JUSTICE 38
Anybody seen Melissa 9 hr Curi 1
veronica rodgers 11 hr docks 9
Massage Therapist 11 hr Brent 1
car wash ripoff. clean care $3. $55 for 1 carwash? (Jul '14) 15 hr edward 16
Cullom cutz 17 hr That Dude 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cookeville Mortgages