13 years for fatal DUI crash

Jan 8, 2008 | Posted by: Myrtle Beach Online | Full story: Myrtle Beach Online

“I wish I could turn back the clock for the Richardsons.

'I wish I would have died that morning instead of Mr. and Mrs. Richardson.”

The driver whose vehicle slammed into a car, killing the couple inside instantly as their oldest son watched, apologized tearfully in court Tuesday before being sentenced to 13 years in prison.

'I have no excuse for driving under the influence of alcohol,' Steven Latham of Conway told the court. 'I wish I could turn back the clock for the Richardsons.

'I wish I would have died that morning instead of Mr. and Mrs. Richardson.'

Porter Lee and Donna Richardson had just dropped off their son Craig at the Kangaroo Express on Waccamaw Pines Drive and U.S. 501 minutes before the crash. Read more

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Darlington resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

As a member of Donna Richardson's family I can tell you his apology will not help the children that his actions hurt that morning. It will not give my aunt back her oldest daughter and it will not replace the sister Debra lost. He should have got alot more than 13 years. He killed two wonderful people. His sentence should reflect that.
mary ohio

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

horry county has problems, first they have lack police officers and any with common sense, second they have issues as far as traffic lights,and many accidents due to spend. 501 should be called death road, they have more accidents daily then most other cities, with traffic....
police decoys are not the answer, and letting this man only serve 13 yrs, for killing 2 wonderful people and having their son live with night mares for the rest of his life. How can Horry County, let a repeat offender get away with this? May God bless the son they left behind, and may he be able to someday for give the State of South Carolina, Horry County and povery it has.......
Christina

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

When I first found out about this, my mother was on the phone with Tonya, the mother of the kids. Just the way they were talking I could figure it out myself, and I went to my room and cried. Megan, Craigs fifteen year old sister, is my best friend and practically my cousin. Although she forgave the driver in front of a judge, this will forever remain in her heart. I know it was hard for all of the kids, even Ryan, who isn't old enough to understand fully but not yet too young to have a good idea. There is no apology that will ever ease the pain.
megan richardson

Pataskala, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2008

porter richardson and donna richardson were my dad and step mom and i miss them very much.....thank you guys for puttin this on here..maybe people will realize what it does to people
Jerry Shumaker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

I am in shock I have been looking for my friend Lee Richardson He & I was on the USS Missouri I don't know what to say. I am in hope this is not my friend Drunk Drivers ruin so meny people lives as i was hit by a drunk driver in 2002 and now i am dissabled their should be the death penality for those who drink and drive. Lee was the most wonderful person i knew in the Navy he loved the Browns and his Family if any one from the family reads this please contact me jshumakerjr@sbcglobal.net i sstill don't want to believe this I had so much i want to say to my friend. I know he will be missed Helen & Benard I am so sorry and to Lee's Children I know you know your Dad he was someone who loved God, Country and family we loved the Navy he allways conducted himself in a way not to bring shame to his country I just don't know what to say i still cant believe this could happen to a great friend i am so sorry we did not keep in contact. well i will pray for everyone
In Christs Love
Jerry Shumaker
Romans 5:8
Raven Hubbard

Boone, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

My step dad, James Ebert was a good friend to the Richardson, he played softball with Lee and worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield with Donna. Lee was a groomsmen at their wedding and they were two of the nicest people I have ever met. It has now been several years since this happend but it has affected me greatly. I am now a senior at Appalachian State, about to graduate with a BS in Criminal Justice, my plan it to work in Law Enforcement and never let something like this happen again. Nothing will ever replace these two wonderful people but more people don't have to die, don't drink and drive it's not worth it.
ramona richardson_valan ce

Sunbury, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

Lee Richardson was my brother.We looked alot alike and was the same kind of person,Soft....I only met him once as an adult,he was just like me.When he was a baby i used to think he was the cutest baby! I remember him sitting on my parents bed maybe 8 or 9 months old,i was i think 4or5,anyway i remember playing with him and making him laugh.When i heard of his and his wifes { i met her too }death i cried and cried,I still greive for him.I always missed him and i still do.We were seperated when he was still a baby.I never got to really know him but knew him in my heart.I am so sorry for our parents and all the people who knew him.Jesus called home an angel.

Since: Nov 10

Sunbury, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

megan richardson wrote:
porter richardson and donna richardson were my dad and step mom and i miss them very much.....thank you guys for puttin this on here..maybe people will realize what it does to people
Dear Megan,I am your aunt Ramona and i am sorry we have never met.i know you loved your dad very much so did i.I was hoping you might be interested in talking to me about your dad.I would love to hear things about him.He and i were alike,soft....and we looked like each other too.If you get a chance please write me.My e-mail address is ramonamvalance@yahoo.com.Hopin g to hear from you,your aunt Ramona Richardson/valance

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Conway Discussions

Search the Conway Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Unknown Red Lights In Sky over Myrtle Beach (Jun '11) 2 hr jburnett 162
gay teens (Jun '13) 2 hr amanda 28
Searching for Howard Brooks 14 hr Still Searching 1
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Fri Bonnie Wheeler 1,118
Investigation continues into Myrtle Beach Memor... Fri Old Dirty Turd 10
Iowa Supreme Court to decide solar energy dispute Fri Solarman 1
Three dead during shootings on Ocean Boulevard ... Fri Big Al Pierce 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Conway Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••