“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 1, 2012
This tread is up for discussion about Christmas. It's about hope, compassion and hopefully a little humor. Please feel free to share a Christmas story or perhaps if you would like to share gift ideas. What ever you want to talk as long as it's kind. Please keep it clean y'all.

I come from very humble beginnings. In other words, my family was dirt poor. I remember one year at Christmas my parents had $10 to spend on Christmas presents. Looking back I don't know how even then they ended up buying something for each of us four kids. My oldest sister got a pair of socks, my other sister got a teddy bear, I can't remember what my brother got, and I got a doll. I'm sure it had to matter at the time a little to us kids and yet I remember we were pretty happy to get anything. Well maybe not my sister who got the socks. lol The point is, it was still Christmas and we were all together. Thats what truly mattered.
Christmas now is very different. My mother, my brother and my middle sister are no longer with us. My dad is still here and so is my oldest sister. The family has grown. We have kids, grandkids, nephews, and nieces. But I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. My husband and I are a 5 hour drive away from home. We do plan to spend Christmas in the Ville. I'm very much looking forward to it. I miss everyone so much.
Well thats my story. Anyone else care to share?

“Cluck Cluck”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Dec 2, 2012
Great idea Milee!

Here's my story.

When I was a single mother with my two children I was working three jobs just to keep our bills paid and food on the table. Not enough for any extra most times. It was Christmas and we put up the tree, decorated outside, and hung the stockings. It was about five days before Christmas and I was down to the wire. I knew that I had to choose gifts or electric and heat. As I was sitting in the kitchen of our little house a someone knocked on the door. There stood one of my mothers friends with a van full of gifts and food for me and my children. I was speechless.

Things are better for us now. My children have grown. I am married to a wonderful man who provides for us. We always have what we need and want. I never have to worry. I have since returned the favor many times to others. I include my kids when I do this and they seem to get more out of helping those in need than whats under the tree.

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Dec 2, 2012
Red Hen thats a heart warming story. Thank you for sharing.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 Dec 2, 2012
Thank you Milie for starting a thread for everyone to share their Christmases experience. You and Red Hen's stories are touching.

When my children were little, the look of awe on their faces Christmas mornings, I will always be dear to me. Walking around with my children as they sang Christmas Carols, was a delight. But to me, sitting with my family in our Church on Christmas Eve Candlelite Services, hearing Silent Night sung A cappella with love, simplicity, and pureness, will always be one of the treasures I will keep forever in my heart and mind.

My children are grown now, but I look forward to The Christmas Eve Candlelite Service this year.
Tippy

Paoli, IN

#6 Dec 2, 2012
When I was ten, my uncle stopped by. He was drunk. He tripped over my train set and fell into the Christmas tree and was electricuted. Each year since, instead of smelling pine, I smell burning flesh.

Merry Christmas.

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7 Dec 2, 2012
Two Spirits wrote:
Thank you Milie for starting a thread for everyone to share their Christmases experience. You and Red Hen's stories are touching.
When my children were little, the look of awe on their faces Christmas mornings, I will always be dear to me. Walking around with my children as they sang Christmas Carols, was a delight. But to me, sitting with my family in our Church on Christmas Eve Candlelite Services, hearing Silent Night sung A cappella with love, simplicity, and pureness, will always be one of the treasures I will keep forever in my heart and mind.
My children are grown now, but I look forward to The Christmas Eve Candlelite Service this year.
You welcome "Two Spirits." We just got home from church and they had the most beautiful tree with white lights and nothing else on it.
Yes I too remember candle light services. I'd drag my two kids out of sleep just to celebrate. Those were good times. My favorite part was lighting the candles and singing "Silent Night."

“GO LITTLE VETTE”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8 Dec 3, 2012
I was a single mom with 3 children. I like Red Hen didn't have much to spend on the kids one Christmas but made sure there was food on the table rather than gifts. Some of my friends knew this. We lived inside the prison at Fort Grant, Arizona where I worked at the time. My fellow staff all went together and bought my kids clothes and a toy each. I could never in a lifetime thank them so much. We were all friends and at work watched each others backs. From that day on we all pitched in for a family in need in the Mount Graham and Bonita area every year and I imagine it is still going on.
pam

Connersville, IN

#9 Dec 3, 2012
My husband and I struggled at the holidays but we always knew there were others in worse shape than us, so we used to buy a turkey and the fixings and take it to the Salvation Army on the day they did their food give-away. In later years we would pick a family we knew and make a basket up ourself. We would them place on ther door stoop, ring the bell and drive away. Our kids loved this, the thought that we might get "caught"! One year we did this, but we later found out that it was the wrong address and we just laughed thinking of the puzzlement the people who got the basket must have had! That year we had put in homemade cookies, candy and a bottle of wine and 2 glasses! So funny, wondering about what those people had to think!

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 3, 2012
pam wrote:
My husband and I struggled at the holidays but we always knew there were others in worse shape than us, so we used to buy a turkey and the fixings and take it to the Salvation Army on the day they did their food give-away. In later years we would pick a family we knew and make a basket up ourself. We would them place on ther door stoop, ring the bell and drive away. Our kids loved this, the thought that we might get "caught"! One year we did this, but we later found out that it was the wrong address and we just laughed thinking of the puzzlement the people who got the basket must have had! That year we had put in homemade cookies, candy and a bottle of wine and 2 glasses! So funny, wondering about what those people had to think!
OMG that's touching and funny. A few years ago when we were living in Indy, I too did the gift basket with our church. They had a list of what to buy but when I went shopping I kept putting extra stuff in the basket. One of the things I remember putting in was hot chocolate. I thought kids would love it.
That was really a fun thing to do.

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 3, 2012
indycorvette wrote:
I was a single mom with 3 children. I like Red Hen didn't have much to spend on the kids one Christmas but made sure there was food on the table rather than gifts. Some of my friends knew this. We lived inside the prison at Fort Grant, Arizona where I worked at the time. My fellow staff all went together and bought my kids clothes and a toy each. I could never in a lifetime thank them so much. We were all friends and at work watched each others backs. From that day on we all pitched in for a family in need in the Mount Graham and Bonita area every year and I imagine it is still going on.
Isn't it just amazing how generous some people can be. It just warms my heart. And I'm sure it got you through a hard time.

Oh I just had another memory. One year I went Christmas shopping at Kmart in Connersville. I was a single mom at the time and I had a little more than $200 on me. I had my purse in a shopping cart and I left it there while I stooped down to look at some socks. When I turned around my purse was gone. A KMart employee found my purse in the ladies room, in the toilet tank. lol The person/persons took all my money but left my license and id. Later when I went back to shop at Kmart an employee came up to me and gave me an envelope. They had taken up a collection and gave me $60. I was so moved by that. There was a lot of good people who worked at Kmart.
I can't believe I almost forgot about that. I will say I keep a better eye on my purse when I go into a store now.
Milee

Ypsilanti, MI

#12 Dec 3, 2012
indycorvette wrote:
I was a single mom with 3 children. I like Red Hen didn't have much to spend on the kids one Christmas but made sure there was food on the table rather than gifts. Some of my friends knew this. We lived inside the prison at Fort Grant, Arizona where I worked at the time. My fellow staff all went together and bought my kids clothes and a toy each. I could never in a lifetime thank them so much. We were all friends and at work watched each others backs. From that day on we all pitched in for a family in need in the Mount Graham and Bonita area every year and I imagine it is still going on.
Isn't it just amazing how generous some people can be. It just warms my heart. And I'm sure it got you through a hard time.
Oh I just had another memory. One year I went Christmas shopping at Kmart in Connersville. I was a single mom at the time and I had a little more than $200 on me. I had my purse in a shopping cart and I left it there while I stooped down to look at some socks. When I turned around my purse was gone. A KMart employee found my purse in the ladies room, in the toilet tank. lol The person/persons took all my money but left my license and id. Later when I went back to shop at Kmart an employee came up to me and gave me an envelope. They had taken up a collection and gave me $60. I was so moved by that. There was a lot of good people who worked at Kmart.
I can't believe I almost forgot about that. I will say I keep a better eye on my purse when I go into a store now.

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#14 Dec 5, 2012
Sorry for the double post friends.

Anyone else want to share a Christmas story?
JFK

Connersville, IN

#15 Dec 5, 2012
When my kids were young I told them Christmas stories and said they could be anything they wanted to be when they grew up. I was wrong. We have elected a person twice that wants to bankrupt America because he believes we deserve it. He has sent us on path we will never recover from and our children and their children will have to endure. The people of America have a calling to ensure he can't do that us. Merry Christmas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor appoints cop-shooter to head department 41 min Amanda 20
What did they do to western ave? 1 hr not happy 1
ISIS Air Force 1 hr Veteran 10
Poop brown house on 4th and Eastern (Nov '08) 1 hr indianaPacer 32
A conversation (Oct '13) 2 hr Milee 1,220
why is electicr off 2 hr jay 1
Four Vowel Word Game (Jul '13) 2 hr Honest Babe 1,614
Middle School closing 3 hr Watt 18

Freeze Watch for Fayette County was issued at October 31 at 10:27PM EDT

Connersville Dating
Find my Match

Connersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Connersville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Connersville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]