Health of Fayette County Residents

Health of Fayette County Residents

Posted in the Connersville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DDC

United States

#1 Mar 20, 2013
http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/app/home

90th out of 92 counties!
I was absolutely shocked. Is it the lack of general personal hygiene or the genetic make-up from inbreeding?
Another opportunity to get state board of health to pay a visit to the ville.
totem pole

Franklin, IN

#2 Mar 20, 2013
Forbes Ranks Indiana 49th out of 50

Pollution ranking is an embarrassment

The bad news keeps mounting for Indiana's image. The latest hit came this week from Forbes Magazine, which compiled its own ranking of "American's Greenest States."

Forbes, using a formula that combined air and water quality, hazardous waste management, carbon footprint, policy initiatives, and energy consumption, ranked Indiana 49th, ahead of No. 50 West Virginia, the worst in the nation.

Indiana is lumped at the bottom with Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. Vermont came in first, followed by Oregon and Washington.

"All suffer from a mix of toxic waste, lots of pollution and consumption, and no clear plans to do anything about it," Forbes said in its report.

It's an embarrassment that comes at a time when the state is being accused by neighboring states of lax environmental regulations on industries like U.S. Steel in Gary and BP's Whiting refinery.

The report said Indiana releases the sixth-highest amount of carbon dioxide emissions per capita of any state.

We hope the state's lawmakers who set policy are alarmed by the report. It's time for Hoosiers to demand stronger policies promoting air quality to control ozone pollution, particularly in Lake County.

Meanwhile, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management stands idly by while industrial giants like U.S. Steel and BP discharge harmful chemicals into Lake Michigan.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently objected to an IDEM draft waste water permit saying U.S. Steel should not be given five years to comply with stricter federal standards for chemicals such as mercury, ammonia, and zinc. Indiana must do better. Green should mean more than dollar signs.

http://indiana.sierraclub.org/chapter/n0021.h...
smh

Franklin, IN

#3 Mar 20, 2013
DDC wrote:
http://www.countyhealthranking s.org/app/home
90th out of 92 counties!
I was absolutely shocked. Is it the lack of general personal hygiene or the genetic make-up from inbreeding?
Another opportunity to get state board of health to pay a visit to the ville.
It is shocking that Franklin Co. residents are alot healthier than Fayette Co's. Humm wonder why, really?
Franklin Co resident

Wakarusa, IN

#4 Mar 20, 2013
smh wrote:
<quoted text>
It is shocking that Franklin Co. residents are alot healthier than Fayette Co's. Humm wonder why, really?
We drink more beer and eat the greatest fried chicken.
rocket scientist

Franklin, IN

#5 Mar 20, 2013
Fayette Co. 90th out of 92 counties in health. And Indiana 49th out of 50 in pollution. Doesn't that make our County the worst of the worst in the Nation on caring about anything living?

No wonder Companies don't want to locate here. I am sure they check these statistics in consideration.
Serrafina

Greenfield, IN

#6 Mar 20, 2013
We cannot afford gym memberships or dr visits when I make $9 hr. trying to pay bills and can't afford to go to dr so I do believe the low ranking. Many towns have (even Lil rushville ) have community health challenges. And help to get fit. No where to walk SAFELY in the country
hmmm

La Fontaine, IN

#7 Mar 20, 2013
I believe it has to do with the lack of affordable health care even brookville has Doctors that charge according to income
Radical

Connersville, IN

#8 Mar 20, 2013
Pig farms, duh!
DDC

United States

#9 Mar 20, 2013
One in Three
For you: for every two adults you know (you plus those two people). There is a smoker, an obese person, and one that is phyically inactive.
All 3 can change these statistics.

185 cases of sexually transmitted infections and 61 teen births.
All you got to do is wrap it (98% effective)
gypsywoman

Peoria, IL

#10 Mar 20, 2013
Visteon is a brownfield. What in the hell about Reclaimed Energy on Western??? That is one scary place! Does anyone even believe that Smalley's Lake was truly cleaned up? Please name more examples in the 'ville. This is my hometown that I chose to return in after college. It's such a sad place now!
Concerned

Grissom Afb, IN

#11 Mar 20, 2013
Serrafina wrote:
We cannot afford gym memberships or dr visits when I make $9 hr. trying to pay bills and can't afford to go to dr so I do believe the low ranking. Many towns have (even Lil rushville ) have community health challenges. And help to get fit. No where to walk SAFELY in the country
There are NUMEROUS ways a person can exercise without spending any money joining a gym. Examples: get a jump rope (about $1.00) and spend a little time with that; go to the middle school and walk the bowl as well at climb the steps for a while; take anything with weight and do some bicep curls; squats take nothing but your legs and a little motivation. The list goes on and on. Rich or poor,there is absoutely NO excuse for the poor condition that most people in this county are in.

I would venture to say that the majority of people in poor health smoke, eat at fast food, drink sugary drinks like they're water, and get very little or no exercise. It is an epidemic and it is getting worse. Some children eat junk, play video games instead of getting any real exercise and are grossly overweight. It is a sad situation.

Until people start caring about their health, nothing will change.
yes and no

Franklin, IN

#12 Mar 20, 2013
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
There are NUMEROUS ways a person can exercise without spending any money joining a gym. Examples: get a jump rope (about $1.00) and spend a little time with that; go to the middle school and walk the bowl as well at climb the steps for a while; take anything with weight and do some bicep curls; squats take nothing but your legs and a little motivation. The list goes on and on. Rich or poor,there is absoutely NO excuse for the poor condition that most people in this county are in.
I would venture to say that the majority of people in poor health smoke, eat at fast food, drink sugary drinks like they're water, and get very little or no exercise. It is an epidemic and it is getting worse. Some children eat junk, play video games instead of getting any real exercise and are grossly overweight. It is a sad situation.
Until people start caring about their health, nothing will change.
I agree with you about taking care of yourself. But, do you think the people of Franklin Co. for example take better care of themselves than the residents of Fayette Co? Do you think they are smarter like that than we are?
Exercise More

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Mar 20, 2013
yes and no wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you about taking care of yourself. But, do you think the people of Franklin Co. for example take better care of themselves than the residents of Fayette Co? Do you think they are smarter like that than we are?
There are a lot of places people can get out and walk - Middle school, Grandview track, up and down Grand Ave., the sidwalks up and down Park Road, the Park, even go to your local WalMart and lap it a few times. Blaming lack of exercise on low income is rubbish.

As far as for Franklin Co vs. Fayette Co., Franklin county has the poorest of the poor and high-middle class families as well. That has to be the most lopsided county around with as far as economic situations go. A lot of the people who can afford it relocated up here from the Cincinnati area. Go drive on some of the back roads of Franklin County - Brookville, Laurel and Metamora and you will se beautiful homes right next to shacks.
Serrafina

Greenfield, IN

#14 Mar 20, 2013
We live out in the country & work in another county 10 to 12 hrs a day. Can't afford the extra gas to go in to connersville every day. Sure wish every township could have a safe place to walk. We don't have sidewalks, street lights, plus safety of walking a country road. Don't smoke or eat out. But we all need to walk. After standing in one area all day, a person hurts. For those who haven't worked in a factory 12 hrs a day it makes a body ACHE
Helpful Leader

Lafayette, IN

#15 Mar 21, 2013
rocket scientist wrote:
Fayette Co. 90th out of 92 counties in health. And Indiana 49th out of 50 in pollution. Doesn't that make our County the worst of the worst in the Nation on caring about anything living?
No wonder Companies don't want to locate here. I am sure they check these statistics in consideration.
Does Mitch Daniel ring a bell to you?
Helpful Leader

Lafayette, IN

#16 Mar 21, 2013
Does Mitch Daniel ring a bell to you? Do you remember some of the policiesfor the state?
wondered

Franklin, IN

#17 Mar 21, 2013
gypsywoman wrote:
Visteon is a brownfield. What in the hell about Reclaimed Energy on Western??? That is one scary place! Does anyone even believe that Smalley's Lake was truly cleaned up? Please name more examples in the 'ville. This is my hometown that I chose to return in after college. It's such a sad place now!
http://www.in.gov/idem/files/notice_20130315_...
wondered

Franklin, IN

#18 Mar 21, 2013
Public Notices: Eastern Indiana

http://www.in.gov/idem/6398.htm
Tom

Scottsburg, IN

#19 Mar 21, 2013
We r a county of Smokers, unprotected sex, alcoholics , thus the reason for all the bars. Teen parents who don't finish high school. Fayette county will never see the good times that we use to have.... That life is over..... Factories brought people here to live. Now most are gone. Fayette county is a poor quality of life
sop-wc

Peoria, IL

#20 Mar 21, 2013
So....What position do you hold with them?
wondered wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 Word Phrase - Game (Nov '13) 2 min CommonCents 1,521
Trash pile across from the park 6 min The Anti-Idiots P... 11
Another bad move for the city 8 min CommonCents 20
Brooke Lore 9 min Strike 2
Welfare mamas 11 min The Anti-Idiots P... 5
Where gots the best fountain pop? 27 min CommonCents 7
Bronson Whites huge nose 1 hr Jess 4
dave jobe accident 19 hr Enquirer 14

Connersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Connersville Mortgages