southern style....one more try!

southern style....one more try!

Posted in the Connersville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
JMH02

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 9, 2010
OK....It's been more than a year....Thought I would give it another try!
My guest had PoBoy Oyster sandwich with side salad and cole slaw at $9.00. Over all my guest reported meal was acceptable and actually quite tasty. However, breading was overly applied and laden with grease as roll used for sandwich was thoroughly soaked.
Not so fortunate on my part. Ordered catfish dinner..one of the featured meals... with side salad and order of red beans and rice. OOPS! Out of catfish, selected the the Walleye dinner at $14.00 as second choice. Side Salad though small was good. Lettuce was crisp, cucumbers were of good quality and the tomatos were about half ripe. Typical this time of year. French dressing was good as well. Red beans and rice was somewhat flavorable but tasted a bit like last weeks dish. Walleye filet was moderately breaded delivered on a small platter in what appeared to be last weeks fryer oil. Gently separating a piece of the meat from the tail end of the this beast I found it to have the consistency of an old eraser. Over cooked, freezer burn, or old? HOWEVER, progressing to the head end of the filet, the taste improved considerably, but the quality was not present. Yep...I ate most all of it! UGH! Then thinking, perhaps one of those delicious pieces of pie from the selections reviewed early in the procees would relieve my disdain, I ordered a piece of sugar creme pie ( one of my favorites) at $3.50. It did look pretty with the newly applied whip creme covering the top. No doubt to disquise the disaster underneath! I removed the whip creme as I prefer good pie without the topping. WoW! What a disaster. The pie was absolutely Last Weeks Selection! Filling was rubbery, lower section of crust was a bit similar to cardboard that had been left in the freezer and the upper rim of the crust had turned to powder. My guest indicated, " It surely cannot be that bad!"....Guest took a small piece from the mostly uneaten slice of disaster, it dropped off the fork, hit the table and bounced back onto the dish! Dinner was washed down with two drinks at $1.95 each. Left a nice tip as server was exceptional. Proceeded to register...paid the $33.00 bill...was asked if all was ok.....replied no....and the clerk did not offer to discuss issues at hand. Do you suppose there were others expressing their concerns and clerk was tired of explaining? Could Be! A third attempt will not be attempted. Have a great evening..........
journalism 101

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jul 9, 2010
OK JMH02. No one on Topix knows you so I'm asking that you balls up, or whatever, and tell the truth.

Was your dining experience as unpleasant, if that is the right word, as you described in your post? Or was there some exaggeration in what you wrote?

You gave the establishment some praise as well as some criticism. So, what's the deal? Was it overall a good experience or do you have a problem with or bone to pick with the Vine Street establishment? Remember, no one knows who you are so swallow a bunch of gumption and truthfully answer my questions. Thank you.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3 Jul 9, 2010
Picky. Go find a 5 star eatery, you picky bastard!
JMH02

United States

#4 Jul 9, 2010
When you complete journalism 401, post again. Service was good. No bones to pick. Overall quality of main courses sucked!
journalism 101 wrote:
OK JMH02. No one on Topix knows you so I'm asking that you balls up, or whatever, and tell the truth.
Was your dining experience as unpleasant, if that is the right word, as you described in your post? Or was there some exaggeration in what you wrote?
You gave the establishment some praise as well as some criticism. So, what's the deal? Was it overall a good experience or do you have a problem with or bone to pick with the Vine Street establishment? Remember, no one knows who you are so swallow a bunch of gumption and truthfully answer my questions. Thank you.
JMH02

United States

#5 Jul 9, 2010
Thank you. Compliment accepted.
Connersvillian wrote:
Picky. Go find a 5 star eatery, you picky bastard!
journalism 101

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jul 9, 2010
Well, I guess you at least tried to give a halfway literate response.
Of course you failed miserably so you can just suck it, you Topix "trouble maker." (And trash!)
JMH02 wrote:
When you complete journalism 401, post again. Service was good. No bones to pick. Overall quality of main courses sucked!
<quoted text>
missi

United States

#8 Jul 10, 2010
first of all, i am a server at southern style and was ur server on the night in which you are posting about. it was my mistake about the catfish the other server had sold the last two orders to her table at the same time you had ordered therefore that table received those last two orders, and the reason for that is because the catfish is exceptional and we often do run out of our featured entrees for that very reason...they are exceptional. you did in fact eat all the pie you ordered. as a matter of fact almost all the food that was ordered was gone when i cleared your table. all of which during the whole time you were there i personally came to your table on several occasions and asked if everything was okay and you replied yes..you had an oppurtunity to discuss and issues with me and you did not. why is that? you did leave a generous tip for that i appreciate and it was well desreved because the service was great and i was very attentive and willing to take care of any issues you may have had but none were brought to my attention.and one last thing sir...for such an educated man..why would you come to topix and post something so serious when in all honesty no one takes this serious. if you wanted to voice your opinion about your experience trust me it would have been taken way more seriously had you simply done it to your server at the time you had a problem and not from the comfort of your own home. im thinking that some people just like to knit pick and take cheap shots when others dont get a chance to defend themselves. as for us at our fine establishment...trust me well be doing just fine whether you come back or not. and by the way if you are going to knit pick then maybe next time you should stay at home and do it the way you like it. now thank you and you have a great evening.
ballbreaker203

United States

#9 Jul 10, 2010
if you thought the food was so awful why dont you go sit in a corner and lick ur balls to get the bad taste out of ur mouth. dont be a dick
Mister Friendly

Ashburn, VA

#10 Jul 10, 2010
missi wrote:
first of all, i am a server at southern style and was ur server on the night in which you are posting about. it was my mistake about the catfish the other server had sold the last two orders to her table at the same time you had ordered therefore that table received those last two orders, and the reason for that is because the catfish is exceptional and we often do run out of our featured entrees for that very reason...they are exceptional. you did in fact eat all the pie you ordered. as a matter of fact almost all the food that was ordered was gone when i cleared your table. all of which during the whole time you were there i personally came to your table on several occasions and asked if everything was okay and you replied yes..you had an oppurtunity to discuss and issues with me and you did not. why is that? you did leave a generous tip for that i appreciate and it was well desreved because the service was great and i was very attentive and willing to take care of any issues you may have had but none were brought to my attention.and one last thing sir...for such an educated man..why would you come to topix and post something so serious when in all honesty no one takes this serious. if you wanted to voice your opinion about your experience trust me it would have been taken way more seriously had you simply done it to your server at the time you had a problem and not from the comfort of your own home. im thinking that some people just like to knit pick and take cheap shots when others dont get a chance to defend themselves. as for us at our fine establishment...trust me well be doing just fine whether you come back or not. and by the way if you are going to knit pick then maybe next time you should stay at home and do it the way you like it. now thank you and you have a great evening.
missi, suck it. I won't eat at your place of employment.
The Swamp Monster

Round Lake, IL

#11 Jul 10, 2010
I must say every time I have ever been there to eat is has been good. I love the pulled pork po boy there. It is amazing. My wife always gets the swamp monster. I have never had a bad meal there. If the place was so bad I wouldn't think it would be so busy on Sundays. I drove past there last week and there was cars all over their parking lot. Just sounds like someone trying to stir up trouble.
Yesiknow

Richmond, IN

#12 Jul 10, 2010
Mister Friendly wrote:
<quoted text>
missi, suck it. I won't eat at your place of employment.
Back off, Chad!!!! They don't want a RUDE customer like you !!
Insomniac

United States

#13 Jul 10, 2010
I ate there a couple of times when it first opened, and while the food was too spicy for my preference, it was well prepared and very tasty. I ate there about a month ago, had the ribs, and they delicious. Tea was good (I'm finicky about my tea). Soup was excellent too. Server was very attentive. Good value for the money too. Will go back for sure.
leftyandpussfoot

Mckeesport, PA

#14 Jul 10, 2010
The Swamp Monster wrote:
I must say every time I have ever been there to eat is has been good. I love the pulled pork po boy there. It is amazing. My wife always gets the swamp monster. I have never had a bad meal there. If the place was so bad I wouldn't think it would be so busy on Sundays. I drove past there last week and there was cars all over their parking lot. Just sounds like someone trying to stir up trouble.
They are only busy on Sunday's because meals on wheels isn,t open on that day. Just check it out on a weekday and you would defintley think they was closed.
google

Alexandria, IN

#15 Jul 10, 2010
We eat at southern style frequently , and find it to be very good! Better than anything in connersville ,besides the mexican rest. Good grief... if you had a rest. with 5 star dining you probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Oh mousie's is great too , the rest , not so much .
JMH02 wrote:
OK....It's been more than a year....Thought I would give it another try!
My guest had PoBoy Oyster sandwich with side salad and cole slaw at $9.00. Over all my guest reported meal was acceptable and actually quite tasty. However, breading was overly applied and laden with grease as roll used for sandwich was thoroughly soaked.
Not so fortunate on my part. Ordered catfish dinner..one of the featured meals... with side salad and order of red beans and rice. OOPS! Out of catfish, selected the the Walleye dinner at $14.00 as second choice. Side Salad though small was good. Lettuce was crisp, cucumbers were of good quality and the tomatos were about half ripe. Typical this time of year. French dressing was good as well. Red beans and rice was somewhat flavorable but tasted a bit like last weeks dish. Walleye filet was moderately breaded delivered on a small platter in what appeared to be last weeks fryer oil. Gently separating a piece of the meat from the tail end of the this beast I found it to have the consistency of an old eraser. Over cooked, freezer burn, or old? HOWEVER, progressing to the head end of the filet, the taste improved considerably, but the quality was not present. Yep...I ate most all of it! UGH! Then thinking, perhaps one of those delicious pieces of pie from the selections reviewed early in the procees would relieve my disdain, I ordered a piece of sugar creme pie ( one of my favorites) at $3.50. It did look pretty with the newly applied whip creme covering the top. No doubt to disquise the disaster underneath! I removed the whip creme as I prefer good pie without the topping. WoW! What a disaster. The pie was absolutely Last Weeks Selection! Filling was rubbery, lower section of crust was a bit similar to cardboard that had been left in the freezer and the upper rim of the crust had turned to powder. My guest indicated, " It surely cannot be that bad!"....Guest took a small piece from the mostly uneaten slice of disaster, it dropped off the fork, hit the table and bounced back onto the dish! Dinner was washed down with two drinks at $1.95 each. Left a nice tip as server was exceptional. Proceeded to register...paid the $33.00 bill...was asked if all was ok.....replied no....and the clerk did not offer to discuss issues at hand. Do you suppose there were others expressing their concerns and clerk was tired of explaining? Could Be! A third attempt will not be attempted. Have a great evening..........
wondering

Ashburn, VA

#16 Jul 10, 2010
JMH02 wrote:
OK....It's been more than a year....Thought I would give it another try!
My guest had PoBoy Oyster sandwich with side salad and cole slaw at $9.00. Over all my guest reported meal was acceptable and actually quite tasty. However, breading was overly applied and laden with grease as roll used for sandwich was thoroughly soaked.
Not so fortunate on my part. Ordered catfish dinner..one of the featured meals... with side salad and order of red beans and rice. OOPS! Out of catfish, selected the the Walleye dinner at $14.00 as second choice. Side Salad though small was good. Lettuce was crisp, cucumbers were of good quality and the tomatos were about half ripe. Typical this time of year. French dressing was good as well. Red beans and rice was somewhat flavorable but tasted a bit like last weeks dish. Walleye filet was moderately breaded delivered on a small platter in what appeared to be last weeks fryer oil. Gently separating a piece of the meat from the tail end of the this beast I found it to have the consistency of an old eraser. Over cooked, freezer burn, or old? HOWEVER, progressing to the head end of the filet, the taste improved considerably, but the quality was not present. Yep...I ate most all of it! UGH! Then thinking, perhaps one of those delicious pieces of pie from the selections reviewed early in the procees would relieve my disdain, I ordered a piece of sugar creme pie ( one of my favorites) at $3.50. It did look pretty with the newly applied whip creme covering the top. No doubt to disquise the disaster underneath! I removed the whip creme as I prefer good pie without the topping. WoW! What a disaster. The pie was absolutely Last Weeks Selection! Filling was rubbery, lower section of crust was a bit similar to cardboard that had been left in the freezer and the upper rim of the crust had turned to powder. My guest indicated, " It surely cannot be that bad!"....Guest took a small piece from the mostly uneaten slice of disaster, it dropped off the fork, hit the table and bounced back onto the dish! Dinner was washed down with two drinks at $1.95 each. Left a nice tip as server was exceptional. Proceeded to register...paid the $33.00 bill...was asked if all was ok.....replied no....and the clerk did not offer to discuss issues at hand. Do you suppose there were others expressing their concerns and clerk was tired of explaining? Could Be! A third attempt will not be attempted. Have a great evening..........
Honestly, dude.. We don't care and don't want to hear you complaining. It's just a restaurant trying to make business.
My best friend said she went there last night and that everything was amazing. My parents run a restaurant and restaurants do NOT need customers like you complaining about everything.
If you want, you can always go to McDonald's where all the trashy people like you should go.:)
hayfield

Quincy, MA

#17 Jul 10, 2010
Went there once, and it doesn't take a sharp stick in the eye for me to know I need not return for anything. the complete experience sucked.
really

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 10, 2010
hayfield wrote:
Went there once, and it doesn't take a sharp stick in the eye for me to know I need not return for anything. the complete experience sucked.
Don't go then. We ate there the other day and everything was great. We will eat there again, was nice!
Malungin

United States

#19 Jul 10, 2010
Most of the cocaine and heroin come into town through this place;
ppppokerface

Hugo, MN

#20 Jul 11, 2010
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, dude.. We don't care and don't want to hear you complaining. It's just a restaurant trying to make business.
My best friend said she went there last night and that everything was amazing. My parents run a restaurant and restaurants do NOT need customers like you complaining about everything.
If you want, you can always go to McDonald's where all the trashy people like you should go.:)
You don't need satisfied customers? Really? I eat out every weekend. For the same price of $9 Chad paid, I had a fish and chips (breaded fillet with wafer fries) at a restaurant that had a nice English pub atmosphere, waiters/waitresses in a the traditional attire, cloth napkins, wood tables/chairs etc and good service with a smile. It sure in the hell wan't Connersville though. I dont know why people in Connerville think they can put fancy names on easy dishes, put a plastic table cloth over plastic tables, and charge way too much for something and survive. Besides the Mexican places, I dont think there is one place in town that doesn't fall under the "greasy spoon diner" category. On top of that, when you have an issue, the owner/manager says "I am sorry" while rolling his frakkin' eyes and offers nothing to fix the problem.

You wanna know how to run a restaurant? Go work at El Reparos for a while. THEY have it down. Damn good food, clean, good service, and it doesn't feel like Mel's Diner with Flo and all the rest. Running a restaurant is like sitting on a three legged stool. Each leg (service, food, atmosphere) must be there. If one falls too short, the whole stool (business) fails. Of course being the kid of someone who runs a fly by night restaurant, you would already know that since you are involved in the ins and outs of running the place daily.
Polly

Richmond, IN

#21 Jul 11, 2010
I have to agree with JMHO2. The food is passable and a nice relief from Mexican or pizza. However their prices are very high for the surroundings and quality of food. If some of the critics of this person's post would drive out of town, they would discover an entirely different dining experience. However, I am certain an environment outside of a remodeled video store would be considered uppity.

Service is great, food is okay but not worth the $15.00 for a dinner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep A Word, Drop A Word (Mar '10) 1 min Vector aka Victor... 13,176
Race card 3 min Peahead 1
Five letter word game (Jan '11) 4 min Vector aka Victor... 8,105
six letter word game (Jan '15) 6 min Vector aka Victor... 789
leia smith 7 min SlimShadey 3
Jordan Wadle sleepung with Lisa Woodward 8 min David 9
Four Vowel Word Game (Jul '13) 8 min Vector aka Victor... 3,369
Channel 8 news 15 hr Rock 43
Jordan Wadle found hanged at 3:41 AM 18 hr Rock 3

Connersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Connersville Mortgages