Burn Ban Wont Stop Fireworks

Burn Ban Wont Stop Fireworks

Posted in the Connersville Forum

Smokey Bear

Richmond, IN

#1 Jun 18, 2012
After some debate at work, which led to a call to the State Fire Marshall Office .... Indiana state law supercedes county law. If the county has a burn ban in effect , on July the 4th you are still allowed to light fireworks per Indiana code.

Happy 4th !!!
D Shift rookies

Richmond, IN

#2 Jun 18, 2012
Just saw this Story on WISH TV

Updated: Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
Erin Murphy

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH)- The number of continues to grow as the lack of rain makes the conditions outside just ripe for a potential fire. While a burn ban means just that the details of what you can and can't do can differ county to county.

The State Fire Marshall says while it may be confusing, it must be up to county officials to set the guidelines.

"For the full county there's no burning and again they can define what that means. Is it no camp fires or no grilling the extent to what that means," explains State Fire Marshall Jim Greeson.

The State Fire Marshall explains there are 3 types of burn bans. One is when a fire chief decides the conditions are bad in their specific jurisdiction.

Another is when the county officials institute a burn ban, which is the most common. Lastly the conditions are so bad a disaster declaration is put in place but the Department of Homeland Security based on the National Weather Service.

One thing all of these have in common the specific details can vary, even down to who enforces the ban can differ county to county.

"I think over the weekend Warren County or one of the counties had 5 inches of rain, obviously their conditions are a little different than what the other counties so I think it's best left to that local jurisdiction.

They know their county better than someone in my position," explains Greeson.

It is up to the County to decide on use of campfires and grilling and even fireworks. But since state law allows for fireworks for the 4th of July and surrounding days, a burn ban can't override that.

All officials can do is warn people of the damage it can cause.

"Someone as a consumer in the use of fireworks you're responsible for what the damage of that firework may do and if you're setting a type of consumer firework off that leaves the ground if that falls on a neighbors property that you don't have permission for fireworks to be on and it starts a fire then you are responsible for that fire," says Greeson.

As of Monday only LaGrange County is under a Disaster Declaration. That's put in place for 7 days and then reviewed after that.
Puff the Magic Dragon

Thorntown, IN

#3 Jun 18, 2012
You can RISK blowing up entire city blocks with fireworks, but you can't smoke at the event.

WTF?
funny stuff

Jasper, IN

#4 Jun 19, 2012
Thats funny cause if I remember right the ground displays do put off a hell of alot of smoke and all those posers huddled in the viewing area at the park will be exposed along with their kids. just like the derby, fumes and smoke galore
mee

Thorntown, IN

#5 Jun 19, 2012
Puff the Magic Dragon wrote:
You can RISK blowing up entire city blocks with fireworks, but you can't smoke at the event.
WTF?
How ironic!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald J Trump Presidency 4 min LMAO 1,792
How many more fatherless kids will Alexis Wiley... 26 min Huh 164
police car totaled. Who wrecked it ? 28 min Whitey 23
End of the Word Game (Nov '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 9,286
Keep A Word, Drop A Word (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 12,240
Five letter word game (Jan '11) 2 hr Vector aka Victor... 7,589
Four Vowel Word Game (Jul '13) 2 hr Vector aka Victor... 3,001

Connersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance