Pa. Dept. Of Education Releases Asses...

Pa. Dept. Of Education Releases Assessment Results

There are 25 comments on the Kdka.com story from Sep 4, 2009, titled Pa. Dept. Of Education Releases Assessment Results. In it, Kdka.com reports that:

Share + Sep 3, 2009 3:23 pm US/Eastern LINK: Pennsylvania Department Of Education The Pennsylvania Department of Education released its school assessment test results today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kdka.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Propel Parent

United States

#1 Sep 17, 2009
However, a handful of local schools did not make what is called the Adequate Yearly Progress, or AYP.

Those districts are: Connellsville, McKeesport, Monessen City, Sto Rox and Wilkinsburg.

Three other districts made the AYP, but are in corrective action. They include: Duquesne, Pittsburgh Public and Woodland Hills.

----------

You are sending your kids to schools that rank behind Duquesne who is under state control. Something is wrong with your district!
MASD Parent

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Sep 17, 2009
Special Education numbers being counted in the overall total is the problem. I graduated from McKeesport, have 2 kids that go there and am telling you, the education is there at the school if your child wants to obtain it. The problem is most parents would rather have their kids enable them to collect a monthly paycheck (welfare reform sucks)by being labled "special ed". A VERY GOOD education can be obtained at McKeesport, it is just a question if the parents make sure that their kids receive it!

Steve
Ray

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Sep 17, 2009
MASD Parent wrote:
Special Education numbers being counted in the overall total is the problem. I graduated from McKeesport, have 2 kids that go there and am telling you, the education is there at the school if your child wants to obtain it. The problem is most parents would rather have their kids enable them to collect a monthly paycheck (welfare reform sucks)by being labled "special ed". A VERY GOOD education can be obtained at McKeesport, it is just a question if the parents make sure that their kids receive it!
Steve
How does a child being in special ed enable a parent a monthly income? My middle son is mentally challenged, was in special education, did my son get social security? No Way, I worked and so did my ex, so our income was too high. Besides I felt that my son would need that income when he became 18 more than I needed it. Besides wasn't it my responsibility to raise him?
Rocket Science

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Sep 17, 2009
You all need to realize three things....propel schools are accountable to no one...who represents the tax payer in those school? they actually defraud and take funds away from public education.

50% of your children s learning ability starts at home if the parents don't care then do you think the kids will. Being all hopped up on drugs an drunk half the time does not help.

Your school board consists of Cops and Political mobsters!!! put people on there with a tru heart.
student

Finleyville, PA

#5 Sep 17, 2009
i gots me a great edumacation at all of dem skools in mckeesport..look i didnt get arrested on sunday like all of dem playas...so i must have been lerned a little bit of sumpin

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Since: May 08

Mckeesport

#6 Sep 17, 2009
I do want to drop a shout out to McKeesport Traffic Officer and SB member Joe Lopretto for taking the safety of our kids so seriously. Joe recently instituted a blockage of Sumac St. during dismissal time at G.W.

Great move. Now people can't be late and do drive by's to pick up their kids, endangering others.

Sure, I bet some folks are irritated by the move. They'd also be the first to complain if their kid was hit by a car their and sue everyone.

Joe and I don't always agree politically, which is fine, but I know that the safety of our children is one of his highest priorities and I respect him for that.

I agree with some posters that our school district is penalized by NCLB for keeping our "special children" in house, thus having their test scores counted in the aggregate vs. school districts that farn their special childrenb out.

This is an example of one of our greatest strengths (compassion and our special ed program) penalizing us.

That portion of the problem isn't a district problem, it is a NCLB flaw.

I've never sent a kid to Propel so I can't comment on the quality of education there. I know that a kid CAN get a quality education at Mckeesport. I did and my kids do. By the same token, my kids have always had parents that stressed education at home and assisted our kids when they needed it.

All in all, I am pleased with the educational opportunities MASD offers but everything can always be made better.

All that being said, I believe we, as taxpayers and parents, should demand excellence from the district and our city.

Perhaps we need to step outside of McKeesport and the District once in a while and see what other highly rated schools and communities are doing that makes them more successful.

If we always keep ourselves confined here, how will we ever learn new and better ways of doing things?

There is intelligent life beyond the Mansfield and Duquesne Bridges you know....

Paul

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#7 Sep 17, 2009
student wrote:
i gots me a great edumacation at all of dem skools in mckeesport..look i didnt get arrested on sunday like all of dem playas...so i must have been lerned a little bit of sumpin
Does anyone have information on who was arrested and by whom. I'm hearing all the rumors but nobody from the administration has told me anything.

Councilman Shelly
Get Over It

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Sep 17, 2009
student wrote:
Yeah, and in 5 years you will be in jail. At least you can be proud of your edumacation, who knows maybe you can be a teacher on cell block 7.
student

Finleyville, PA

#9 Sep 17, 2009
hey bozo i can read and write and speak proper english..sounds like you know a little 2 much about c.b.7......i was just humoring myself with that last post....so i think you should get over this...oops sorry that might be toooooooooooo hard for you
County Guard

United States

#10 Sep 17, 2009
student wrote:
hey bozo i can read and write and speak proper english..sounds like you know a little 2 much about c.b.7......i was just humoring myself with that last post....so i think you should get over this...oops sorry that might be toooooooooooo hard for you
He didn't do too much time. Word is he rolled on his boys and cried like a baby.
citizen

Finleyville, PA

#11 Sep 17, 2009
things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
cant believe what I read

Allison Park, PA

#12 Sep 17, 2009
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
How does a child being in special ed enable a parent a monthly income? My middle son is mentally challenged, was in special education, did my son get social security? No Way, I worked and so did my ex, so our income was too high. Besides I felt that my son would need that income when he became 18 more than I needed it. Besides wasn't it my responsibility to raise him?
Unfortunately, many parents do not feel like that. There are many who will do anything to get their children signed up for SSI. The district has a huge amount of special education children who take the same test as the regular education children. The numbers would be alot different if those scores were not counted in the total. Too bad they don't break it down that way so people can see that.
fly on the wall

Finleyville, PA

#13 Sep 18, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and in 5 years you will be in jail. At least you can be proud of your edumacation, who knows maybe you can be a teacher on cell block 7.
" hey c.o. can you get me out of here i dont belong here...i got some info i can give the courts on some of my homies...please........i want my mommy" damn its good being a fly you hear all the cry babies sing in jail
Who Knows

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Sep 18, 2009
fly on the wall wrote:
<quoted text>
" hey c.o. can you get me out of here i dont belong here...i got some info i can give the courts on some of my homies...please........i want my mommy" damn its good being a fly you hear all the cry babies sing in jail
Maybe you will be one of the lucky non violent people that will be released because we need space for all the protesters that we will be locking up as a result of the g-20 summit.
Get Over It

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Sep 18, 2009
student wrote:
You better watch that don't humor yourself to much, I hear that it causes blindness.
Honor Student

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Sep 18, 2009
cant believe what I read wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, many parents do not feel like that. There are many who will do anything to get their children signed up for SSI. The district has a huge amount of special education children who take the same test as the regular education children. The numbers would be alot different if those scores were not counted in the total. Too bad they don't break it down that way so people can see that.
There is nothing wrong with the education that a student can receive at MASD. Just like anything else if you want it bad enough you can get it

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#17 Sep 18, 2009
Honor Student wrote:
<quoted text> There is nothing wrong with the education that a student can receive at MASD. Just like anything else if you want it bad enough you can get it
I have four Honor Student children in the district that can back that up.

Former Honor Student and PROUD MAsd Graduate,

Paul Shelly
cant believe what I read

Allison Park, PA

#18 Sep 18, 2009
Honor Student wrote:
<quoted text> There is nothing wrong with the education that a student can receive at MASD. Just like anything else if you want it bad enough you can get it
Absolutely! I agree with you. My comments were just that the results appear to be terrible, but no one takes into account the special education population who should either be taking a different test or not be taking the test at all. Some of these children simply cannot perform the way other children can.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#19 Sep 18, 2009
cant believe what I read wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely! I agree with you. My comments were just that the results appear to be terrible, but no one takes into account the special education population who should either be taking a different test or not be taking the test at all. Some of these children simply cannot perform the way other children can.
Agreed. That is a flaw on NCLB, not MASD.
Good Call

Brackenridge, PA

#20 Sep 18, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text> You better watch that don't humor yourself to much, I hear that it causes blindness.
I knew a guy once that used to sit around and humor himself all the time, we called him Yankee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Study the Bible (Oct '16) May 11 MacIntyre 2
selfies May 7 edward15425 2
Why was Phil Martell hired? (Mar '16) Mar '17 Charlie 7
woman panhandling for diapers and baby wipes at... (Apr '16) May '16 Tin cup 3
Did Martell Submit Fake Budget Data (Mar '16) Mar '16 The truth 2
News Man accused of pharmacy robbery spree arrested ... (Feb '16) Mar '16 On the beat 2
Morons on 201 (Sep '14) Mar '16 Whack a pole 4

Connellsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Connellsville Mortgages