should teachers receive retirement incentive?

Created by No More on Mar 5, 2010

71 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

No More

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Mar 5, 2010
The teachers in Connellsville already make twice the amount of the average salary of the citizens paying their salaries. they do not need an incentive to hang it up! Teacher avarice has killed this community. they make more than most professionals in the region including accountants, attorneys, bankers, and some engineers. In this economy what more do they want?? They should be taking a pay freeze like the rest of us who are lucky to be still working.
thankthem

United States

#2 Mar 20, 2010
For the service these retiring teachers have provided, they certainly DESERVE anything and everything they can be awarded for their years of service. Yes, give them an incentive to retire. Once more, they are providing a service--retiring, so that younger teachers can keep their jobs. They are sacrificing years of their career for the younger generation. We should be as generous as possible, as they have.
In The Same Boat

Connellsville, PA

#3 Mar 21, 2010
While I understand that teachers perform a vital service, there are many other public 'servants' who do so as well. I have seen many dedicated folks with graduate degrees spend their career serving our community without the sense of entitlement that the PSEA fosters. I think teacher salaries should be based upon the average salary of residents in an area, as they improve our children's prospects and earning potential and area incomes rise, so will theirs. It is time for a re-entry into reality.
Get Real

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Mar 25, 2010
thankthem wrote:
For the service these retiring teachers have provided, they certainly DESERVE anything and everything they can be awarded for their years of service. Yes, give them an incentive to retire. Once more, they are providing a service--retiring, so that younger teachers can keep their jobs. They are sacrificing years of their career for the younger generation. We should be as generous as possible, as they have.
How would you like to get 87.5 % of you salary after working 35 years? They make enough money as it is!
Anthony

Connellsville, PA

#5 Apr 2, 2010
Time teachers receive jail time for striking during the school year. If they don't like their job why hurt the kids. All strikes should be required during the time they are not teaching. I wonder how many would walk a picket line then?
Eric

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Apr 8, 2010
PA leads the nation in teacher strikes. We at the Steelworkers union have taken concessions and made our peace. Teachers are out of control and the most greedy of the union ranks. They give unions a bad name
Tammy

Vandergrift, PA

#8 Apr 10, 2010
There are so many teachers subbing and working out of state who want to return to Pa, that Connellsville could fire the entire staff, and have no trouble getting qualified teachers at half the cost.
Tony D

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Apr 24, 2010
We need a governor like they have in New Jersey.
Teachers should take a wage freeze. Hell we got to bail out their fat cat pension plan. Enough is enough.
Vicky

Vandergrift, PA

#10 May 16, 2010
Tony D wrote:
We need a governor like they have in New Jersey.
Teachers should take a wage freeze. Hell we got to bail out their fat cat pension plan. Enough is enough.
If Rendel would have done something like this I guarantee you that the Pa teachers unions would have acted the same.
Tony D

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 May 19, 2010
They would have put a hit out on Fast Eddie if he emulated the Gov of the Garden State.

Eddie is goingto give the education establishment 325 million more in this budget. Fro once I would like the see this money go to fixing the roads and bridges or a reduction in taxes.

PSEA owns the state senate and house. the silent majority has to act to overcome Butch Santicola and the PSEA well financed payola machine to our seantors and reps.
Roy

Vandergrift, PA

#12 May 22, 2010
thankthem wrote:
The problem is they are making so much money it is like "golden hand-cuffs" it is hard for them to retire when they are making the big bucks, have the nicest homes in the community and driving new cars. Do they need an incentive to retire? No!
Fire Board

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jun 18, 2010
The Board is shameless in granting early retirements and offering retirement incentives. TO really save money and not pander to the greedy teacher union, the Board should look at the declining enrollment and not fill the bulk of the vacancies.
Real reason

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Jun 25, 2010
The real reason for the incentives to get rid of teachers was to created opeinigs for the Board to hire the sons and daughters of their friends and relatives who can't find teaching jobs in Pa, or who are working out of state.

Take it to the bank. This is the way this Board operates.
Jocko63

Bronx, NY

#15 Jun 26, 2010
In The Same Boat wrote:
While I understand that teachers perform a vital service, there are many other public 'servants' who do so as well. I have seen many dedicated folks with graduate degrees spend their career serving our community without the sense of entitlement that the PSEA fosters. I think teacher salaries should be based upon the average salary of residents in an area, as they improve our children's prospects and earning potential and area incomes rise, so will theirs. It is time for a re-entry into reality.
In reply to this quote: My mother taught me to never be jealous of the success of others. Your argument is pathetic and you are probably pathetic.
Jocko63

Bronx, NY

#16 Jun 26, 2010
Most of the negative comments are probably from those who never went beyond a high school education and are now angry that those who did are earning more than they are earning. My response to those sore losers is Bite Me! I have been a teacher for almost 40+ years and have in the past been abused and used by spawn of I do not know what. Now that my salary has become somewhat competitive with the rest of the country up pops the losers crying like babies that we don't deserve squat. Well, again I say BITE ME!
Saul

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jun 28, 2010
To the Bronx Bomber:

PSEA has created a public aristocracy with their control of the state legislature. Total compensation in PA is 1.8 times the ordinary worker. Pensions are unrivaled and bankrupting the Commonwealth. Teacher avarice must end. The current system is financially unsustainable, especially with double digit unemployment.

What PSEA does not mention on their propaganda homepage is that PA is unrivaled in having a 2.5 multiplier and only a 7.5 % teacher contribution rate. Some states still do not provide social security payments to their teachers. The only solution is to grandfather the defined contribution plan and adopt a defined benefit plan. Taxpayers should not have to underwrite market risk.
Roy

Franklin, PA

#18 Jun 29, 2010
Jocko63 wrote:
Most of the negative comments are probably from those who never went beyond a high school education and are now angry that those who did are earning more than they are earning. My response to those sore losers is Bite Me! I have been a teacher for almost 40+ years and have in the past been abused and used by spawn of I do not know what. Now that my salary has become somewhat competitive with the rest of the country up pops the losers crying like babies that we don't deserve squat. Well, again I say BITE ME!
Well Jocko this is one reader with an MBA from the Katz School. You are a living testimony to the union mentality that took over public education and another reason for vouchers.
Roy

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Jul 2, 2010
The 10 k gift to teachers plus health care insurance coverage is only partial savings when compared to the escalating costs of new teachers.
New Board

Vandergrift, PA

#20 Jul 10, 2010
We need a new Board. They perpetuate the Boss Hog mentality of the region in their back room deals with the teachers union and taking care of their friends with patronage jobs.
No Board member should have relatives in the schools working as staff, or administrators.

We need dedicated teachers not clock watchers waiting for their 3 pm tee off times at Pleasant Valley or Happy Hours at Bud Murphy's.

Too many of our teachers have retired on the job. Time to eliminate teacher tenure.
In the same boat

Connellsville, PA

#22 Sep 17, 2010
Well reasoned Jocko, your education degree certainly paid off in your closely reasoned, rational comment. Wondering, have you ever heard the psychological term projection. Pathetic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Deberah Kula as State Represe... Nov '14 Brian 2
Morons on 201 Oct '14 Grant 3
Fun. Sep '14 Fayettenam 2
Messiah offering free college courses (May '14) May '14 Beth Lorow 1
Feds: Inmate sent Obama threat to wrong address (Mar '14) Mar '14 Big Pimpin 10
To the REALIST, (Mar '14) Mar '14 Guardian Angel 1
Jesus, Son of God (Mar '14) Mar '14 Realist 2
Connellsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web