So to Speak | Joe Blundo commentary: ...

So to Speak | Joe Blundo commentary: Sally's axis of evil ended at convent in Columbus | The Colu...

There are 9 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 30, 2011, titled So to Speak | Joe Blundo commentary: Sally's axis of evil ended at convent in Columbus | The Colu.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Mildred Gillars was reviled nationwide, but at the end of her life she found a little peace in Columbus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Roger Tidy

London, UK

#1 Jan 30, 2011
Mildred Gillars was not the only "Axis Sally". Her partner, or rival, in crime was another American woman, whose father ran an upmarket restaurant in New York. Known as Rita Zucca, she broadcast to Allied troops from Rome on behalf of the Italian radio service and, after Rome was captured by the Germans, she worked for the Nazi propaganda station 'Jerry's Front Radio'.
For more information about 'the other' Axis Sally, as well as Mildred Gillars, see my new book 'HITLER'S RADIO WAR', which is published in London on January 31.
The book also looks in detail at Nazi propaganda broadcasts to Britain, the United States and other countries, and there is a chapter on the specially licensed jazz band created by the Nazis to broadcast jazz and swing music, with specially modified propaganda lyrics, to Allied audiences. Also covered is the career of the notorious Lord Haw-Haw and the morale-busting attempts of 'Mary of Arnhem' directed at US and other Allied troops during the final year of the war.
'HITLER'S RADIO WAR' is available now from all good book sellers and internet book stores.
Roger Tidy
Brits are pants

Blacklick, OH

#2 Jan 30, 2011
Roger Tidy wrote:
Mildred Gillars was not the only "Axis Sally". Her partner, or rival, in crime was another American woman, whose father ran an upmarket restaurant in New York. Known as Rita Zucca, she broadcast to Allied troops from Rome on behalf of the Italian radio service and, after Rome was captured by the Germans, she worked for the Nazi propaganda station 'Jerry's Front Radio'.
For more information about 'the other' Axis Sally, as well as Mildred Gillars, see my new book 'HITLER'S RADIO WAR', which is published in London on January 31.
The book also looks in detail at Nazi propaganda broadcasts to Britain, the United States and other countries, and there is a chapter on the specially licensed jazz band created by the Nazis to broadcast jazz and swing music, with specially modified propaganda lyrics, to Allied audiences. Also covered is the career of the notorious Lord Haw-Haw and the morale-busting attempts of 'Mary of Arnhem' directed at US and other Allied troops during the final year of the war.
'HITLER'S RADIO WAR' is available now from all good book sellers and internet book stores.
Roger Tidy
Shameless self-promotion, aka SPAM.
Silence is golden

Roy, WA

#3 Jan 30, 2011
To end up buried In Lockbourne...what a strange

life this woman led. Her mouth was her

undoing...like so many women. That's the way it was

with my wives...wouldn't shut their yap traps. Like

this witch...it was all meaningless propaganda B.S.
Roger Tidy

London, UK

#4 Jan 30, 2011
Brits are pants wrote:
<quoted text>
Shameless self-promotion, aka SPAM.
My post was legitimate comment because it was RELEVANT to the article discussed.
Oz speaks the truth

Roy, WA

#5 Jan 30, 2011
You can prove your comments by giving all of us free copies.--Lord Byron
Roger Tidy wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was legitimate comment because it was RELEVANT to the article discussed.
my town too

Portsmouth, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2011
position for pleasure wrote:
The only good "axis" for her was where her legs
came together. Heil Heinie!
What a thoughtful comment. It is "thinkers" like you who add nothing to any discussion. Clever? No. Annoying? Yes.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 30, 2011
my town too wrote:
<quoted text>
What a thoughtful comment. It is "thinkers" like you who add nothing to any discussion. Clever? No. Annoying? Yes.
Thank you for the thoughtful comment which adds so much to the discussion.
PayYourOwnDamnBi lls

The Colony, TX

#9 Jan 30, 2011
Many live in denial of their past actions. It serves to protect them from the horror with which they cooperated. She may have even come to believe her own revised history. God rest her soul. It doesn't change what she did. But I hope her life ended better than she lived so much of it.
Just My Thoughts

Zanesville, OH

#11 Jan 31, 2011
You wrote a very interesting article, Mr. Blundo....Thank you....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Conneaut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron carr and Candice Carr that does custom ho... Mar 11 guest 9
News Granada residents try to put their lives together (Apr '09) Feb '17 mamby shaker 7
News Ex-lawyer seeks prison release (May '07) Feb '17 Greatful Friend 54
Josh Million, a murderer? (Feb '14) Jul '16 Truth hurts 130
News Jennie Geisler: Muffin-tin recipes take you fro... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 1
Fix The Roads (Mar '16) Mar '16 Native Landlord 1
Andrew camron (Mar '16) Mar '16 zeke the pinhead 2

Conneaut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Conneaut Mortgages