Gas prices closer to $4

Gas prices closer to $4

There are 85 comments on the GoErie.com story from May 22, 2008, titled Gas prices closer to $4. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Memorial Day travelers are going to have to dig deeper in their pockets when they hit the road this weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Joseph

Oil City, PA

#1 May 22, 2008
The reporter never writes the real reason for high prices at the pump.

If their was a shortage of oil we would have rationing.

The price keeps escalating because responsible people do nothing.

Everyone knowes we are being gouged by greed.

Gas in Saudi Arabia sells for $.45 per gallon.
SoberUpTeddy

Franklin, PA

#2 May 22, 2008
Joseph - We are being gouged, but not by "big oil companies." .47 cents of a gallon of gas goes to the gubmint and .08 cents goes to the oil companies. Who is gouging you?
MCR

Canton, OH

#3 May 22, 2008
Staying real close to home...you betcha...like right in the driveway!

“Love Freedom, Thank a Soldier”

Since: Feb 08

Erie,PA

#4 May 22, 2008
SoberUpTeddy wrote:
Joseph - We are being gouged, but not by "big oil companies." .47 cents of a gallon of gas goes to the gubmint and .08 cents goes to the oil companies. Who is gouging you?
Where does the other $3.50 go??????
Donny Baker

Erie, PA

#5 May 22, 2008
Joseph wrote:
The reporter never writes the real reason for high prices at the pump.
If their was a shortage of oil we would have rationing.
The price keeps escalating because responsible people do nothing.
Everyone knowes we are being gouged by greed.
Gas in Saudi Arabia sells for $.45 per gallon.
There is no shortage of oil, only tighter supply which drives up the price. Simple supply and demand economics. Additionally, our refining capacities are severely limited. If a refinery has to shut down for maintenance or any other reason, watch the price then. If the tree huggers hadn't made it almost cost prohibitive to build new refineries, I'm sure we'd see some more going up. Same for drilling here, we might hurt a bird - can't have that. I don't care that much, there are plenty more birds, and we need oil.
Donny Baker

Erie, PA

#6 May 22, 2008
Mornin' MCR!!!

Welcome back!
MCR

Canton, OH

#7 May 22, 2008
Donny Baker wrote:
Mornin' MCR!!!
Welcome back!
Mornin Donny, Thanks
SoberUpTeddy

Franklin, PA

#8 May 22, 2008
khp - The other 3.50 goes to expenses like oil exploration, transportation, and refining costs. If people are angry at "big oil companies" their anger is misplaced. The gubmint does absolutely nothing to earn their .47 per gallon.
To Sober Up

Erie, PA

#9 May 22, 2008
Exxon Mobile made $11.7 billion in quarterly profits and $1,300 a second in 2007. How is this right? Isn't this being "gouged by big oil companies?" If it's not I don't know what is!
Donny Baker

Erie, PA

#10 May 22, 2008
To Sober Up wrote:
Exxon Mobile made $11.7 billion in quarterly profits and $1,300 a second in 2007. How is this right? Isn't this being "gouged by big oil companies?" If it's not I don't know what is!
That was money made, but after expenses their profit margin is actually low.
Give me a break

Edinboro, PA

#11 May 22, 2008
sam's club is .13 cents less per gallon than country fair today...in case you want a deal
mary p-

United States

#12 May 22, 2008
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise---more families may be spend more time at home together, instead of everyone running their separate ways. Maybe people will have "family nights" at home and watch movies together, or play Scrabble, or Monopoly as a family. Might be a good thing in the long run....could be at least.
K Mac

United States

#13 May 22, 2008
You know what would help people with gas costs? SYNCHRONIZING LIGHTS! My mpg has gone down by 4mpg since I started having to take Liberty Street down to 8th and State Street down to the bayfront. I swear, I had to stop at just about EVERY STINKIN LIGHT this morning! I think there were two that I missed (they were yellow)....
K Mac

United States

#14 May 22, 2008
Give me a break wrote:
sam's club is .13 cents less per gallon than country fair today...in case you want a deal
DAMMIT! Wish I'd've known that when I was in Summit earlier this morning!

Thanks for the info, though....
RFR

Oil City, PA

#15 May 22, 2008
Donny Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
That was money made, but after expenses their profit margin is actually low.
According to the USA Today add they make zero profit. http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/vi... and since when is quarterly profits not profits?
MRRJ

Lexington Park, MD

#16 May 22, 2008
I love high gas prices. It forces me to drive less and ride my bike and walk more.
Donny Baker

Erie, PA

#17 May 22, 2008
RFR wrote:
<quoted text> According to the USA Today add they make zero profit. http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/vi... and since when is quarterly profits not profits?
After expenses, I said, which is used to run the company.
MCR

Canton, OH

#18 May 22, 2008
K Mac do you live in Summit? If so you should take peach to interchange and down to bayfront. That would be easier and quicker.
K Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
DAMMIT! Wish I'd've known that when I was in Summit earlier this morning!
Thanks for the info, though....
MCR

Canton, OH

#19 May 22, 2008
Should have put interchange to 79 and to bayfront. Sorry
RFR

Oil City, PA

#20 May 22, 2008
Donny Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
After expenses, I said, which is used to run the company.
My understanding of profits are what you have left after exspenses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Conneaut Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
heroin (Oct '15) Jun 18 Smithers 3
Michelle Cruz of Meadville PA is a scammer Jun 11 scammed_in_erie 1
News Child molester gets prison (Aug '08) Jun 9 Friend of Ashley 27
News 15 things to add to your Erie bucket list this ... May '16 Carl 5
Trump for Freedom Apr '16 Conservative Woma... 1
Trump for Freedom Apr '16 Conservative Woma... 1
News Support Groups, April 10 and later Apr '16 Walter 4

Conneaut Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Conneaut Lake Mortgages