7 arrested at underaged drinking party

7 arrested at underaged drinking party

There are 22 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jun 7, 2009, titled 7 arrested at underaged drinking party. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Seven people were arrested at underage drinking party. The Livingston County sheriffs department says the party happened on McGinty Road in the town of Conesus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sassy

Hamlin, NY

#1 Jun 7, 2009
I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE THAT ALLOW THE TEENAGERS TO DRINK.THATS SOMETHING I NEVER ALLOWED WITH MY 2 KIDS.CHECK OUT GENESEE VALLY PK.THE NEXT 2 WEEKS ,U WILL SEE ALOT OF TEENS DRINKING.GRADUATION PARTIES AND B-DAY PARTIES.
13suks

Rochester, NY

#2 Jun 7, 2009
Seems the burbs are having a lot of troubles with their kids.
It all comes back to "parenting".
batman

Lima, NY

#3 Jun 7, 2009
drinking drugs and derrithmatic,
Lay off the stuff why don't ya,save some brain cells for retirement
moi

Rochester, NY

#4 Jun 7, 2009
Maybe they decided to visit here >>>>>>> >

Wine Review by Lisa's Liquor Barn
David Zima | NV Bortolotti Prosecco
Italian sparkling wine is perfect for almost any occasion.

Hey Ch. 10 take the LIQUOR ADS OFF YOUR WEBSITE.

“formerly known as "im bored"”

Since: Apr 08

rochester ny

#5 Jun 7, 2009
I know from personal experience, i've got a child graduating who is infuriated with me right now because i specifically stated that no one under 21 will be served alchol at the party.

I was told that i embarrassed my kids and now no one will want to come.

I will keep it clean on this forum of my response but i basically stated that i dont give a rats as s, until they are 21 - i will strictly enforce this because i'd rather they be pissed off at me than us as parents receiving a call or an unwanted invite to the ME's office to identify a body due to DWI accident. I also don't want it on my conscience the rest of my life that i allowed this and one of their friends drove away and got hurt or hurt someone else. That is putting the legal ramifications last - i'm putting my personal views/feelings first. Then i'll add i'd like to keep my job and home as well. But personal safety is first and i am no longer a cool parent...oh well, my kids will understand when they are parents someday.

Most parents are home for parties...come on parents, just enforce this - isn't it worth our kids lives ?? it is for mine and i'm considering your child too, please do the same for us ?

Unfortunately, if they head to a park and drink, its out of our control, we just have to hope they use wise choices, but it takes someone over 21 to purchase the alcohol and that person is not concerned of our kids either. This is sad.

Bad enough we have adult drunk drivers, we don't need kids too.
cjk

Rochester, NY

#6 Jun 7, 2009
My niece graduated last year and no one underage was allowed to drink. She has a lot of friends that came anyway and had a lot of fun. unfortunately, some of the adults didn't know when enough was enough and had to be driven home. I didn't here any complaints from the kids that they could not drink. I think that if they don't have the option to drink, they will find other ways to have a healthy good time.

“formerly known as "im bored"”

Since: Apr 08

rochester ny

#7 Jun 7, 2009
thanks cjk.......i'm sure your right, i can't wait until my kids realize it too :)
umm

Rochester, NY

#8 Jun 7, 2009
Is this really a big story doesn't this happen all the time
Confused Private Citizen

United States

#9 Jun 7, 2009
13suks wrote:
Seems the burbs are having a lot of troubles with their kids.
It all comes back to "parenting".
Livingston County is not the burbs...it is the boondocks. There is not much to do out in the backwoods areas.
sandy-Rochester

United States

#10 Jun 8, 2009
Kudo's to you, i am bored. We're supposed to be their parents, they already have best friends.

The year I graduated in the "boondocks" the school itself rented a party house and put on an all night shindig, with a live band, food, pop, breakfast at 4 a.m. It was so much fun and unheard-of by ANY school system, and no alcohol. We ended up hitting Letchworth Park at sunrise, then getting home and sleeping all day! Too bad the kids today would think that was boring!
Straight Shooter

Rochester, NY

#11 Jun 8, 2009
Don't worry, they'll be catching city teens drinking 40's from brown paper bags all summer.
They'll be catching teens in the burbs having parties while their parents are either at work or away on vacation too.
AND they'll be catching underaged kids at the Park Ave Fest parties too.
Prohibition

Rochester, NY

#12 Jun 8, 2009
Let's open this thread. How about we bring back prohibition? Respond and let me know the down side to getting rid of alcohol altogether. I don't drink and I teach my kids that I can relax, have fun and socialize without getting a buzz on or being drunk. I think NYS gets fair amount of tax revenue from alcohol but does it counteract the cost of DWI checkpoints, EMT's for DWI accidents etc? I suppose it may force kids or adults to abuse other drugs but most average people wouldn't be able to get their hands on drugs.
Confused Private Citizen

United States

#13 Jun 8, 2009
Prohibition wrote:
Let's open this thread. How about we bring back prohibition? Respond and let me know the down side to getting rid of alcohol altogether. I don't drink and I teach my kids that I can relax, have fun and socialize without getting a buzz on or being drunk. I think NYS gets fair amount of tax revenue from alcohol but does it counteract the cost of DWI checkpoints, EMT's for DWI accidents etc? I suppose it may force kids or adults to abuse other drugs but most average people wouldn't be able to get their hands on drugs.
Prohibition only stopped legal drinking of alcohol. Many people were blinded in those days by drinking homemade hootch that was grain alcohol. Many others died from alcohol poisoning. You cannot legislate morality. Just because you choose not to drink, you do not have the right to stop everyone else. There are many responsible adults enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine, and many children raised without underage drinking. I am glad you are so sure your children are not using alcohol or drugs. I hope you are correct in your assumptions on their behavior.
prohibition

Rochester, NY

#14 Jun 8, 2009
Confused Private Citizen wrote:
<quoted text> Prohibition only stopped legal drinking of alcohol. Many people were blinded in those days by drinking homemade hootch that was grain alcohol. Many others died from alcohol poisoning. You cannot legislate morality. Just because you choose not to drink, you do not have the right to stop everyone else. There are many responsible adults enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine, and many children raised without underage drinking. I am glad you are so sure your children are not using alcohol or drugs. I hope you are correct in your assumptions on their behavior.
I am just raising the topic. I am glad you responded. I am not pushing my views just curious to everyone else's as I am open minded to any good points. The concept of being blinded by illegal high proof alcohol is a good one just not sure if it affected a large portion of the population. I am curious to what responsible drinking means. I am fearfull in this recent economic hard times the "responsible" drinkers have been drinking more to relax or combat stress and this sends a message that the only way to relax is to drink. Yes it is true my kids don't drink and yes I am sure. I know it might be hard for people to believe but there are good kids out there.
bigsingle

Rochester, NY

#15 Jun 8, 2009
I can assure you of this: If my underaged children were drinking alcohol. I would get them in trouble myself.

I would not only get the police involved, but I also would GET MY CHILDREN THE HELP THEY NEED.

You don't buy your children alcohol and then drop them off at another destination with the alcohol.

You don't let your underaged children drink with you knowledge.

You don't let your underaged children drink in your home with your knowledge.

And you don't uphold your children in the wrong for underaged drinking.

It may be a minor crime to some, but try telling that to ALL OF THE MOTHERS WHO ARE MOURNING THE LOSS OF THEIR DEAD CHILDREN AND LOVED ONES BECAUSE OF UNDERAGED DRINKING!!!!!!
Confused Private Citizen

United States

#16 Jun 8, 2009
prohibition wrote:
<quoted text>
The concept of being blinded by illegal high proof alcohol is a good one just not sure if it affected a large portion of the population. I am curious to what responsible drinking means. I am fearfull in this recent economic hard times the "responsible" drinkers have been drinking more to relax or combat stress and this sends a message that the only way to relax is to drink. Yes it is true my kids don't drink and yes I am sure. I know it might be hard for people to believe but there are good kids out there.
"Responsible" drinkers do not drink more to combat stress or relax. They do not drink to intoxication.
As to the blinding and death from alcohol during prohibition Take a look at www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_di... There is much more than what I have copied in the paragraph below. I think it is sad that American history is no longer taught at the high school level, and most people have no idea what this country has been through in other times of war, economic depresion, or even periods of economic growth. The rest of this post is a copied from the mentioned website.

Prohibition did briefly pay some public health dividends. The death rate from alcoholism was cut by 80 percent by 1921 from pre-war levels, while alcohol-related crime dropped markedly. Nevertheless, seven years after Prohibition went into effect, the total deaths from adulterated liquor reached approximately 50,000, and there were many more cases of blindness and paralysis. According to one story, a potential buyer who sent a liquor sample to a laboratory for analysis was shocked when a chemist replied: "Your horse has diabetes." Even today, debate about the impact of Prohibition rages. Critics argue that the amendment failed to eliminate drinking, made drinking more popular among the young, spawned organized crime and disrespect for the law, encouraged solitary drinking, and led beer drinkers to hard liquor and cocktails. One wit joked that "Prohibition succeeded in replacing good beer with bad gin." The lesson these critics derive: it is counterproductive to try to legislate morality.
prohibition

Rochester, NY

#17 Jun 8, 2009
<quoted text>
"Responsible" drinkers do not drink more to combat stress or relax. They do not drink to intoxication.
As to the blinding and death from alcohol during prohibition Take a look at www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_di... There is much more than what I have copied in the paragraph below. I think it is sad that American history is no longer taught at the high school level, and most people have no idea what this country has been through in other times of war, economic depresion, or even periods of economic growth. The rest of this post is a copied from the mentioned website.
Prohibition did briefly pay some public health dividends. The death rate from alcoholism was cut by 80 percent by 1921 from pre-war levels, while alcohol-related crime dropped markedly. Nevertheless, seven years after Prohibition went into effect, the total deaths from adulterated liquor reached approximately 50,000, and there were many more cases of blindness and paralysis. According to one story, a potential buyer who sent a liquor sample to a laboratory for analysis was shocked when a chemist replied: "Your horse has diabetes." Even today, debate about the impact of Prohibition rages. Critics argue that the amendment failed to eliminate drinking, made drinking more popular among the young, spawned organized crime and disrespect for the law, encouraged solitary drinking, and led beer drinkers to hard liquor and cocktails. One wit joked that "Prohibition succeeded in replacing good beer with bad gin." The lesson these critics derive: it is counterproductive to try to legislate morality.
Thanks for the info. I have been just dying to raise this subject as I can live without out alcohol. Just to be with my family relaxing having fun is enough.
Confused Private Citizen

United States

#18 Jun 9, 2009
prohibition wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info. I have been just dying to raise this subject as I can live without out alcohol. Just to be with my family relaxing having fun is enough.
Isn't it nice to live in a country where freedom of choice is available. People who do not wish to drink alcohol are allowed that freedom, and people who wish to have a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner, or before bed are allowed that freedom. Please do not think that I condone alcohol abuse or DUI/DWI, because I do not. I am against illegal drugs, and abuse of prescription drugs, as well. And as to these people that supply substance (alcohol or drugs) to their or other peoples children, they should be treated as criminals, because they are.
prohibition

Rochester, NY

#19 Jun 9, 2009
<quoted text>
Isn't it nice to live in a country where freedom of choice is available. People who do not wish to drink alcohol are allowed that freedom, and people who wish to have a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner, or before bed are allowed that freedom. Please do not think that I condone alcohol abuse or DUI/DWI, because I do not. I am against illegal drugs, and abuse of prescription drugs, as well. And as to these people that supply substance (alcohol or drugs) to their or other peoples children, they should be treated as criminals, because they are.
I understand your point of view and prohibition is extreme and unlikely just using it to emphasize a point. I do feel that other individuals, not you, do think they are drinking responsibly when they are not. I do not feel every day drinking is healthy or responsible. I also feel there are people who do not realize they are above the legal limit to drive. If a person is 150 lbs their body gets rid of one drink per hour so if a 150lbs person goes out to dinner and has 2 drinks or more in an hour or one of those large drinks and then they drive home they are above the limit. I shutter to think how many people are driving while intoxicated on a daily bases and we dont notice. The other point is if a person 2 years ago was drinking one beer after work or with dinner due to the economic pressures they are now drinking 2,3 or more beers every day just to cope. That is fine in and of itself but when there is kids involved the simple phrase "I need a drink" now is teaching a poor message. Parents just need to see the impact they have on kids. They really need to see by example that you can have fun or relax without help.
Confused Private Citizen

United States

#20 Jun 10, 2009
prohibition wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your point of view and prohibition is extreme and unlikely just using it to emphasize a point. I do feel that other individuals, not you, do think they are drinking responsibly when they are not. I do not feel every day drinking is healthy or responsible. I also feel there are people who do not realize they are above the legal limit to drive. If a person is 150 lbs their body gets rid of one drink per hour so if a 150lbs person goes out to dinner and has 2 drinks or more in an hour or one of those large drinks and then they drive home they are above the limit. I shutter to think how many people are driving while intoxicated on a daily bases and we dont notice. The other point is if a person 2 years ago was drinking one beer after work or with dinner due to the economic pressures they are now drinking 2,3 or more beers every day just to cope. That is fine in and of itself but when there is kids involved the simple phrase "I need a drink" now is teaching a poor message. Parents just need to see the impact they have on kids. They really need to see by example that you can have fun or relax without help.
I think what is needed is education. Many people do not realize how little alcohol it takes to be above the legal limit. Many establishments overserve drink sizes, as well as meal sizes (look at the obestiy problem, and listen to the complaints when the plate can be seen). We have driver ed class in schools, maybe there should be more classes on health. More on TV news and in newspapers about the limits and consequences. Prohibition would put people at risk with illegal alcohol. It would also push people to other substances, as people would risk arrest to get something to feel better. And there is also the problem of illegal drugs, not to mention the people who are taking prescription drugs incorrectly. Alcohol abuse is only part of the problem. Here we have ad's showing a drug pusher complaining that business has dropped off because the kids are getting their parents pills from the medicine cabinet and mom's purse. That is a silent problem of which most do not speak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Conesus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Officer Joins East Aurora P.D. (Nov '08) 2 hr WOW 16
News North Vancouver man among three dead in New York Jan 23 Dee 2
Wayland troopers Jan '16 I know 1
Man arrested at CONIFER PARK REHAB for Harassment (Apr '11) Oct '15 beentheredonethat 4
News The Press Republican - Police Log: April 5, 200... (Apr '08) Sep '15 Just Wondering 13
Marks Leisure time Marina (Jul '15) Jul '15 hondo 1
Frauds (Jul '15) Jul '15 not saying 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Conesus Mortgages