Speakeasy Alehouse opens in Concord

A new restaurant held its grand opening Friday in downtown Concord in the old Paramount Theatre building .

Full Story
Semi-satisfied in Concord

Concord, NC

#1 Apr 23, 2011
Ok...at first entry I thought the Alehouse was very good. Nice layout, nice decor, plenty of room, etc. I was able to overlook the semi-caring hostess. The beers were ok (I am very picky!!) but what I didn't like was that they carded everyone. Everyone. They wouldn't serve a grandmother of 4 without her ID.
I could have overlooked this fact if it were in the paper in their debut Stryker or on their website..but it's nowhere.
I'm not sure if I'll go back or not...
Semi-satisfied in Concord

Concord, NC

#2 Apr 23, 2011
*debut story...auto correct got me.
scooter

United States

#3 May 9, 2011
Just got done eating at the speakeasy, amazing food, great vibe and awesome beer selection. They have done their homework and have nailed the concept. Owner adam lewis greeted us and explained his thoughts when developing his menu, which is exceptional.
WTF

Concord, NC

#4 May 18, 2011
Nice interior, average food at best, service is horrendious! Waitress gave us a big F U as we were leaving!! Manager/owner did nothing about it. and a 15% percent gratuity was added for our party of 6 even though we all had seperate tickets, without a notification or posting of any kind. Wouldn't go back if you paid me!!

Since: May 11

Concord, NC

#5 May 19, 2011
First of all, I would like to go ahead and say that this place is the epitome of what the food industry needs to turn to. It has quality food, service, spirits, and music. People enjoy walking into a place that makes them feel welcome. At The Speakeasy, they really make you feel like family. They remember your name, what drinks you like, and even your favorite dish. They are more than willing to bend over backwards to make you happy. It's a shame certain unsightly individuals come into such a niche and try to treat them like corporate fools. Example: large group of younger people come in, are entirely rude to a poor young waitress who was spot on her work, ran up a large bill, got beyond belligerent from boozing it up, and had the nerve to not even tip. I was personally outraged when I saw this. However, the owners handled themselves properly and the issue was resolved. I have spent many years in restaurants and I have always said that if you don't have enough money to tip you shouldn't go out. Let's make sure people like that don't ruin such a gem as The Speakeasy Alehouse, a place I would like to call home.
Open Mic Curmudgeon

Concord, NC

#6 Sep 20, 2011
The Speakeasy is a real good concept. Good cheap food. Nice bar(a little on the slim side for top shelf liquors). And live music. They have 2 Open Mics at The Speakeasy. For me, this was really what attracted me in the first place. I have been to both. I will not go back to the one that is every Thursday, Open Mic with Mo. The guy that runs it is very unprofessional in his manner, and condescending towards musicians he does not personally know and that would be me. I arrived too late to play, and just had a beer at the bar. The open mic had a featured musician, that prompted the host to shove a hat in my face to ante up for the featured act! If you do go to The Speakeasy for the open mic go to the first Tuesday of the month blues jam. It's run by a local blues musician that treats every player with the respect they deserve!
George Castanza

Lockhart, SC

#7 Sep 22, 2011
If you don't like the place, don't worry, it won't be long until it closes. "Downtown" Concord has a lot of potential to be a somewhat contemporary, interesting venue for newer bars/coffee shops/art galleries, etc., except that none of these places could ever turn a profit because no one in this town has any culture beyond what their Bud Light and football games afford. I've seen the Legends Cafe and George Washington Bookstore and Tavern movies already, so I know how this story ends; another vacant space on Union Street, waiting to be filled with a bail bondsman or lawyer, since, after all, besides taxing businesses out of town, the court system is this county's main source of revenue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Concord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where Did the Devil Come From? (May '08) 13 hr dollarsbill 419
Belmont man's art exhibit captures mill era's d... 13 hr Belmont Resident 3
can someone explain this to me? 15 hr ntheknow 4
Peter Demas-no worries (Jul '10) 16 hr KoK-LoL 124
Charlotte's uptown New Year's Eve party is moving 23 hr Anthony Holloway 1
Legit massage for wife? 23 hr PropertyGuyCLT 5
Fun Stuff: Things to do for New Year's Eve 23 hr PropertyGuyCLT 1
Concord Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Concord People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Concord News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Concord

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:11AM
Complete Preview for Falcons vs. Panthers
NBC Sports 4:15 AM
Julio Jones in, Steven Jackson out for Falcons vs. Panthers
NFL 4:23 AM
Julio Jones to play; Steven Jackson out for Falcons
NFL 4:23 AM
Julio Jones to play; Steven Jackson out for Falcons
NFL 6:08 AM
Hot seat roundup: Is Falcons' Mike Smith on way out?