Books Every Man Must Read

Books Every Man Must Read

There are 38 comments on the everyguyed.com story from Apr 24, 2012, titled Books Every Man Must Read . In it, everyguyed.com reports that:

Reading. Sadly, this is an activity that often falls by the wayside in our current cultural climate - since reading a computer screen doesn't count, not by a long-shot - despite the fact that it is perhaps one of the most satisfying things a man can spend his time doing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at everyguyed.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Where DO missing socks go?”

Since: Jun 11

They run away to join the show

#21 Apr 25, 2012
Thomas Jefferson Plotz wrote:
Many of the so called classics are overrated, but they do have ideas that can educate a person.
'Candide', by Voltaire, missed the list.
I like reading, but Philosophy classes in school stunk. Kissing the instructor's hind-quarter and agreeing with their interpretation of what a dead author meant. Same with Literature and Humanities and Ethnic Studies classes.
Yep, like the gold nuggets of human wisdom in Shakespeare.

One that is underrated in human insight in my opinion these days is the Bible. Not in a preachy religious way.

“Where DO missing socks go?”

They run away to join the show

#22 Apr 25, 2012
Do kids still read Pearl Buck at school?

Laura Ingalls Wilder?

“Smokin' Hot'n'Feelin' Groovy”

Since: Apr 12

Been There,Done That,Now What?

#23 Apr 25, 2012
Sex and The Single Guy...

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Location hidden

#24 Apr 25, 2012
Joginder Singh Foley wrote:
The only book in that list of five that I think is worth reading is George Orwell's 1984
Actually, when it was written, "The Prince" was reportedly relied upon as a "how to" book by at least European royalty. Although the ideas in it are very matter of fact and some are moderately brutal, it remains fairly timely today. I understand it is still required reading in some large companies' management training programs.

Narrowing this down to 5 books is silly, IMO. More like 5 books in each major genre.

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#25 Apr 25, 2012
How about The Bible.
Xer Recar III

Atlanta, GA

#26 Apr 25, 2012
Here in Vegas wrote:
How about The Bible.
That's been brought up already. I think it's an excellent read if you want to see some of the underpinnings of our society. The danger is, of course, that some folks treat the bible as being a work of non-fiction instead of the collection of fables and myths that it is.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#28 Apr 25, 2012
Recar Xer Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the lowest common denominator is much lower than any of us would like to admit.
Yes, I agree. Only those who face the depths of their dual self understands and choose between what we're each capable of. Being able to do that is the founding stone of civilization. Civilization crumbles, the facade comes down as well.

“Smokin' Hot'n'Feelin' Groovy”

Been There,Done That,Now What?

#29 Apr 25, 2012
The Married Man and Singles Sex Scene...

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#30 Apr 25, 2012
Xer Recar III wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been brought up already. I think it's an excellent read if you want to see some of the underpinnings of our society. The danger is, of course, that some folks treat the bible as being a work of non-fiction instead of the collection of fables and myths that it is.
I did not bring it up in a religious sense. If more people read it for its underpinnings, I think we would have fewer problems.

“We are MOTORHEAD”

Since: Nov 08

London

#31 Apr 26, 2012
What No George Orwell's Animal Farm ???

“Vintage 1949”

Since: Feb 12

lightly salted

#32 Apr 26, 2012
The Complete Edition of Murphy's Laws
http://murphyslaws.net/edition.htm
YO VINNIE

Delray Beach, FL

#34 Apr 26, 2012
A book I would most certainly read, one written in the non-fiction category and one that would be composed so well, it would read like a novel. Tom Wolfe comes to mind. He has the right stuff.

"Apocalypse Of The Vanities"

The Downfall of The Opaque, Dope And Strange Administration

Sad but Wiser

“What?”

Location hidden

#36 Apr 26, 2012
Toxic Parents by Dr. Susan Forward

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#37 Apr 26, 2012
One Fish
Two Fish
Red Fish
Blue Fish

Since: Jan 12

Huntington, WV

#38 Apr 26, 2012
It is now legal to teach women to read. Many of us can read big books with big words.
DILF

Huntington, NY

#39 Apr 26, 2012
Catalina Magdelina Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name.

...A Must Read.

Sad but Wiser

“What?”

Location hidden

#40 Apr 27, 2012
wee honeybee wrote:
It is now legal to teach women to read. Many of us can read big books with big words.
Lol...

Sad but Wiser

“What?”

Location hidden

#41 Apr 27, 2012
wee honeybee wrote:
LMFAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Concord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who wants to join my gang? Sep '17 B fulla 2
What is kyle spurgin purgin? Sep '17 Ian Rumrill 2
Free admission - Festival & Caribbean concert Aug '17 Anonymous 2
News Maynard firefighter wins 'Regis and Kelly' contest (Jul '10) Aug '17 Fee buller 3
News Ted Nugent Suggests He's Ready For Armed Revolt... (Jan '13) Aug '17 Viking Power 32
News New Lead In New Bedford Murder Case (Nov '10) Jun '17 steve 4
News A massive ICE raid in this town didn't stop und... (Apr '17) Apr '17 tomin cali 1

Concord Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Concord Mortgages