Cumby Telephone cooperative. A debate that's LONG overdue.

Posted in the Commerce Forum

Since: Nov 11

Dodd City, TX

#1 Nov 26, 2011
"CumbyTel internet was the first in the 4 county area to offer DSL(high speed) to anyone. In 1998 Cumbytel DSL( www.cumbytel.com )started offering DSL service to residents of Cumby and the surrounding area. Since then they have not upgraded their total network bandwidth and have overloaded the network with subscribers. During peak hours, sometimes I would get no better than 56k USING DSL!!!

Unless it has changed:
Cumbytel DSL pricing:
128k for $39.99
300k for $49.99
512k for $99.99

They don't advertise the package speeds or pricing ANYWHERE!

Times have changed but I doubt the pricing has. I do know that there are "special friends" of the co-op that get 3 mbps asymmetrical VDSL service. Must be nice!

Cumby telephone Co-op has for over 40 years held the citizens of Cumby and subscribers in the few other near-by communities where CTC is offered hostage by the annual refund check which averages around $300.

Everytime we want something like calling 7 miles down the road without LD charges, more bandwidth for better service, they all recieve a letter stating a vote by the members will be forthcoming, but remember the added services will cut into your yearly check.

So it gets rejected by the voters EVERY TIME. The checks come out in October and people around use that money for Christmas. No check, No Santa Claus. Seriously?

So that's how it works with CTC. All of the CTC expansion seems to be in Verizon areas: Cooper, Lone Oak, Miller Grove, and Brashear. GLORY BE THE DAY THAT Verizon buys out CTC.

Rumors are that CTC is rolling out a FIOS like service for cable, internet and phone service in Cumby. They have constructed a tower at the office and has started outfitting it with commercial TV antennas and recently finished a fiber line from Cumby to Commerce(another Verizon city). How are they going to pay all the carriage fees? Are we going to have to vote for each channel and be told that the cost will come out of the yearly check? So much for any programming.

CTC could be a premier service provider if it would scrap the yearly welfare check and give us good service at a good price.

I wonder if CTC recieved any of the rural broadband expansion stimulus money? None of the offerings above, I would call broadband. Especially with today's internet. You can't effectively use dial-up anymore except for text only email.

What an unfair citizen imposed monopoly. Sad thing is that most of the citizens of Cumby know that there are other providers that offer up to 10x speed at a fraction of the cost.

Sad, this is 2011 ppl.

Since: Nov 11

Dodd City, TX

#2 Nov 26, 2011
Edit: the problems in the first paragraph was from when I had CTC DSL from 1999 until 2005 when I cut the cord.
Glad to be gone

Canton, TX

#3 Mar 31, 2012
So ctc has "special friends" cumby isd also provides special concessions for "special friends" their children can break the law, avoid punishment, be treated kinder, pretty much do what they want while the unspecial people are bullied, treated like second class citizens, and kept quiet by the threats of vicious lies and rumors or worse ran out of town for lack of concern or support and safety by the cumby isd staff....... What is my point you may ask, well take a look at both boards. Who holds a seat on both school board and ctc......small town corruption is great if you happen to be on their "special friend" list but for the ones who are not, it's best to keep quiet or pack up and move!
Happy customer

Cumby, TX

#4 Oct 8, 2013
Brian In Cumby TX wrote:
Edit: the problems in the first paragraph was from when I had CTC DSL from 1999 until 2005 when I cut the cord.
And we are glad your gone. Welfare check my ass your moron
Happy customer

Cumby, TX

#5 Oct 8, 2013
Glad to be gone wrote:
So ctc has "special friends" cumby isd also provides special concessions for "special friends" their children can break the law, avoid punishment, be treated kinder, pretty much do what they want while the unspecial people are bullied, treated like second class citizens, and kept quiet by the threats of vicious lies and rumors or worse ran out of town for lack of concern or support and safety by the cumby isd staff....... What is my point you may ask, well take a look at both boards. Who holds a seat on both school board and ctc......small town corruption is great if you happen to be on their "special friend" list but for the ones who are not, it's best to keep quiet or pack up and move!
And we hope you moved to!
Happy customer

Cumby, TX

#6 Oct 8, 2013
Very happy with the service of CTC, if you don't like it leave it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commerce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 16 Fossilfarts 736
Van Alstyne Student Sent Home To Change Shirt w... Nov 15 Official Historian 3
Endangerment to a child in Commerce, Texas Nov 5 South Bound 1792 3
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Oct 29 Gasman 543
Chigger Fest for 2014 Oct '14 grand station 1
no town is perfect, nor are the people Oct '14 grand station 1
New to Pecan Gap (Dec '12) Oct '14 grand station 8

Commerce News Video

Commerce Dating
Find my Match

Commerce People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Commerce News, Events & Info