Some residents oppose development possibilities

There are 2 comments on the Feb 17, 2010, The Times story titled Some residents oppose development possibilities. In it, The Times reports that:

Mike Baker moved nearly a year ago to Bell Drive in South Hall because of the surroundings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times.

Robert

Carnesville, GA

#1 Feb 20, 2010
When will it ever cease... One need only just drive through Gwinett county, as I did to day, to see endless concrete and asphalt and row after row of vacant businesses with cars cars cars.
I drove from Franklin County, and I-85 is becoming the warehouse district and traffic jam district of NE Georgia. Flowery Branch will soon be the same unless you stop and think about what you are doing. Let those who want a shopping plaza go where they already exist.
I say pass regulation that require 85 percent occupancy within five miles before new permitting is allowed. And the property cannot be changed unless a building contract is signed and permits are granted. Then the terrain of tress and native schrubs must be worked into the site plan. Only removing those in the way of the building foot print particularly if they are more that two fee in diameter. Your School board should be part of the zoning board with voting rights, school buildings should be part of the zoning and permitting process and impact fees should be included in any development cost.
Fortunately the economy has slowed over development everywhere in Georgia. It should be a time to reflect on and pass laws that provide for Quality environmental sensitive growth. Your local homeowners should be given first preference on the say on how their neighborhoods should be cared for.
Barry

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 27, 2010
Sounds like a plan Robert. Common sense doesn't work with Government. Take Oakwood for example. By placing a median through the center of Mundy Mill Road you have effectively killed business on both sides I.E. the Fast trip Convenience Store(possibly wrong name) Food Lion, Country Buffet, so on and so on. The median channels people to the Wal Mart and Sams club that moved. Why not revitalize what is there rather than build more? The answer is you need to run for office and bring about the change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commerce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
M E T H and H E R R I O N E USERS IN YOUR... (Aug '12) Apr 12 TheyreGrrr8 5
News Insight into the osteoporosis market (Aug '09) Apr 3 Kurt Cooks 16
hazel street Mar '15 creekside 1
maysville IGA & dollar store Feb '15 kafay1234 1
maysville is a speed trap (Dec '07) Feb '15 someone 27
Review: Verizon Wireless Dec '14 Allen 1
News 'Jimmy' Adams (Oct '14) Oct '14 A sister in Christ 1
More from around the web

Commerce People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE