WGTC wins $500K grant to train indust...

WGTC wins $500K grant to train industrial workers

There are 2 comments on the Times Georgian story from Nov 1, 2009, titled WGTC wins $500K grant to train industrial workers. In it, Times Georgian reports that:

West Georgia Technical College has been awarded a $500,000 grant by the U.S. Department of Education to expand an existing program that trains students in a modern industrial skill set that is in high demand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Georgian.

School Scammer

Peachtree City, GA

#1 Nov 2, 2009
OK, what industrial skill set is in any kind of demand these days? The article makes it sound like factories are springing up that will need maintenance people for their automated systems. Also,$500K is not a lot of money for this, so I can't help but wonder what's really driving it. Some schools are doing their best to make ti seem like training is all you need to get a job. That's a lie. Some of these schools are still talking about the "great careers" in computers. They dried up a decade or so ago when the wave of IT professionals from India started arriving. You will never compete with a PhD willing to work for $20 per hour. After this industrial training you will probably be competing with people from Mexico willing to work for $5 to $7 per hour.

Since: Aug 09

Douglasville, GA

#2 Nov 2, 2009
As a 67 year old IT student as West Central, I believe they should work on the programs they have and are not capable of executing. I have been in Manufacturing for the last 25 years and if I did a capability study on the two courses I have been enrolled in, West Technical college would receive a D at best. This is not an instructor problem, but a management problem. The one manufacturing skill WCT has been able to duplicate is the ability to sit in an office and shove impracticable policies down the throats of students and hard working faculty. These educational managers are the same type of managers that decide to cut machinery maintenance time so that there is more production time. It's like running you car without oil. Oh well, just my two cents worth from the educational trenches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commerce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lookin for my grandson and his girlfriend 22 hr marion 1
beware of commerce vet (Feb '10) Jul 19 Lablubber 8
looking for place to rent Jun '16 rosemckinney49 1
Ila Music Thread (Jul '15) Jun '16 Musikologist 2
News Tim Madison Is Indicted (Jan '08) May '16 Willxiong1 9
Are you Keeping Drugs and Prostituion Out of Ma... (May '15) Mar '16 neighbor 12
Greg patrick drugs n maysville n ohio nark Mar '16 lindsey 5

Commerce Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Commerce Mortgages