He fell through a window and his pare...

He fell through a window and his parents want people to know

There are 48 comments on the KUSA Denver story from May 15, 2007, titled He fell through a window and his parents want people to know. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

Hollie Cardinal says she has no idea if her son will be the same son she remembers when he wakes up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SIS

United States

#1 May 15, 2007
I truly hope and pray Little Carter pulls through. Hopefully this will serve as a lesson that it can happen to anyone in an instant. Watch your windows!
DeWayne Griffith

Arvada, CO

#2 May 15, 2007
I moved here June 2004. My family and I moved into a two bedroom apartment in Lone tree. We had fears of our then 2-year old falling out their bedroom window and fortunately we had a solution.

We had one of the $15.00 wooden child gates typically used for doorways and stairs. We examined the window and like most it was recessed into the wall a couple of inches. This was perfect for the baby gate to fit into. We turned it around backwards so my 2-year old could not get to the latch and remove it.

We have just moved into a house and thanks to that gate we never had to experience what the Cardinals are going through.

I hope many more parents read this reply or you post it with this story.
Joe

Littleton, CO

#3 May 15, 2007
Yes, we are praying for the little one also..
Ashton

Aurora, CO

#4 May 15, 2007
Woah! This is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaly BIG issue here!
Billy Bob Joe

Aurora, CO

#5 May 15, 2007
DeWayne Griffith wrote:
I moved here June 2004. My family and I moved into a two bedroom apartment in Lone tree. We had fears of our then 2-year old falling out their bedroom window and fortunately we had a solution.
We had one of the $15.00 wooden child gates typically used for doorways and stairs. We examined the window and like most it was recessed into the wall a couple of inches. This was perfect for the baby gate to fit into. We turned it around backwards so my 2-year old could not get to the latch and remove it.
We have just moved into a house and thanks to that gate we never had to experience what the Cardinals are going through.
I hope many more parents read this reply or you post it with this story.
ya! I really agree with you. That is an excellent soloution, especially for other familys with toddlers.But Carter if he ever is able to look at this! I really feel SORRY for YOU........ NOT anyone other than Carter Cardinal.
Geepers

Aurora, CO

#6 May 15, 2007
I hope Carter wakes up and is okay. It's a shame this happened despite his parents' efforts to make sure it wouldn't. Bless his little heart.
Vicki

Denver, CO

#7 May 15, 2007
My prayers are with this family.
gina

Littleton, CO

#8 May 15, 2007
I ill keep you and your family in my preys and i hope your son will pull though
Mary

Aurora, CO

#9 May 15, 2007
Carter is in our prayers. His parents need to stay strong and keep hope.
Toni

Parker, CO

#10 May 15, 2007
Babiesrus.com sells Window Guards, called Guardian Angel. Also, if you put a suction cup above, or beside, the sliding window door - that will also help prevent them to open a window more or at all! These are already being sold for windows and doors for over a year.
Hopefully this might help some other moms.
And for kids who are in a crib, but starting to climb out - get a crib tent.
Brenda

Aurora, CO

#11 May 15, 2007
This is horrible, my prayers are with this family.. i am 32 now but when i was 2 or 3 i also fell out of a two story window. the only thing that saved me was that there was construction going on and i landed on a big pile of dirt.. knocking the tubes out of my ears and crying cause i got my dress dirty. this happens more then people realize... check your screens and windows.
Mark

United States

#12 May 16, 2007
This is a very sad story, but I dont understand if they were so anal about childproofing everything, how could they leave a window open? If the hardware store didnt have anything, how about blocking the window with a dresser or something? Looks like a hard lesson learned. I hope the kid recovers and lives a normal life.
dofus

United States

#13 May 16, 2007
Mark wrote:
This is a very sad story, but I dont understand if they were so anal about childproofing everything, how could they leave a window open? If the hardware store didnt have anything, how about blocking the window with a dresser or something? Looks like a hard lesson learned. I hope the kid recovers and lives a normal life.
Nobody wants to live in fear all the time. People have to have a normal life, and that means that there can sometimes be an unexpected accident to content with.

I truly hope that the parents don't blame themselves for this. A sad fact of life is things like this sometimes happen no matter what you do to prevent it.

God bless this little boy and his family. I hope he gets better soon.
Confused

Denver, CO

#14 May 16, 2007
dofus wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody wants to live in fear all the time. People have to have a normal life, and that means that there can sometimes be an unexpected accident to content with.
I truly hope that the parents don't blame themselves for this. A sad fact of life is things like this sometimes happen no matter what you do to prevent it.
God bless this little boy and his family. I hope he gets better soon.
It sounds like they won't be blaming themselves.

"She says it was not because of a lack of effort. She and her husband went to the baby supply stores. They asked for tools to secure their upper-floor windows and they could not find anything practical."

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I was reading this article feeling much sympathy, but when I got to this paragraph, I thought "Aha, here's where we place blame on someone else."

I do hope the little guy pulls through and my thoughts are with them.
Laura

Brighton, CO

#15 May 16, 2007
I just wanted to let everyone know that when we bought our new house, we found a wonderful website called angelguards.com .

They have window covers for all types of windows. We purchased one for every window on our second floor, as we too have three children and were terrified of their curiosity getting the better of them.

Please let anyone and everyone know about this website.
unknown

United States

#16 May 16, 2007
So sad!!! I know a relative of his, Troy-manager of the Cheshire Cat. They are going to be having a benefit concert for him. The info is below:
Carter's Train of Hope Concert
Wednesday, May 16th @ 7PM-Midnight
at the Cheshire Cat Brewpub
7803 Ralston Road, Arvada

Come down to the Cheshire Cat for an evening of good music, great food and to help us raise money for Carter J. Cardinal and his family to offset his medical costs, and to help with other expenses.
The bands will inclue:
Splifffiddlepace, Mulligan Stew, and North Sea
Cover is $5.00 per person and all door proceeds will be donated!
They will also be running a drink special and a dinner special that part of the proceeds will also be donated. If you are unable to attend, but would still like to make a donation, go to any TCF bank and tell them you would like to make a donation to the Carter J. Cardinal Fund!
Hope some you all can come out and help support him!!!!!!
Bill

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 May 16, 2007
It is so refreshing to have all positives on one of these boards, they are often filled with such anger and negativity. God bless and keep little Carter on his way to recovery. I just drilled a screw into the upper part of the window frame so that the window could only open a few inches before the screw stopped it. Maybe this unfortunate tragedy will save many other children. God bless.
Cousin Chrissy

Denver, CO

#18 May 16, 2007
I just wanted to Thank 9 News for putting my little buddies story on the news. We are all praying that Carter will get better and can come home soon.

XOXO,
Chrissy
Cousin Chrissy

Denver, CO

#19 May 16, 2007
Toni wrote:
Babiesrus.com sells Window Guards, called Guardian Angel. Also, if you put a suction cup above, or beside, the sliding window door - that will also help prevent them to open a window more or at all! These are already being sold for windows and doors for over a year.
Hopefully this might help some other moms.
And for kids who are in a crib, but starting to climb out - get a crib tent.
411: These take 2-4 weeks to get shipped to you. The Cardinal Family already looked into this the weekend before the accident. If they would have purchased them it still wouldn't have helped Carter when it happened that week. BUT a GREAT idea for parents to help prevent future accidents!
Cousin Chrissy

Denver, CO

#20 May 16, 2007
Mark wrote:
This was the living room where there are no dressers! People are not PERFECT and accidents happen. Some more severe then others. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commerce City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 38,719
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! 5 hr 3dpg 4
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 5 hr trevet 24,643
Nicole Dubois-Savage 11 hr UIAC 1
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 19 hr Cyberrjesus 670
News Clinton's Transition Team: A Corporate Presiden... 20 hr vote for Jill Stein 1
got meds 21 hr Wheatridge co 4

Commerce City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Commerce City Mortgages