“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#1237 Nov 21, 2013
Georgia wrote:
By the way, Mr. Weinstein if you're still around:
1) Don't insult our American men and women in uniform by implying they decided to serve because they weren't "college material".
2) You probably owe a lot of former students an apology.
I was telling a younger cousin this story who also had the mad as a HS counselor. He did the same thing to him 10 years later. He is also a college graduate. He is also a great young man....
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1238 Nov 23, 2013
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>I was telling a younger cousin this story who also had the mad as a HS counselor. He did the same thing to him 10 years later. He is also a college graduate. He is also a great young man....
This counselor was a "gift" that just kept giving.....

Good for your cousin.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1239 Nov 23, 2013
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>I was telling a younger cousin this story who also had the mad as a HS counselor. He did the same thing to him 10 years later. He is also a college graduate. He is also a great young man....
Or was this a different counselor? Anyway, still good for your cousin to have risen above incompetence.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1240 Nov 24, 2013
Georgia wrote:
<quoted text>
Or was this a different counselor? Anyway, still good for your cousin to have risen above incompetence.
Yes, the same counselor, Mr. Weinstein...
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1241 Nov 26, 2013
The old Brentwood was far from perfect, that's for sure. But, as kids we were able to roam the streets, play on the playgrounds, and visit new friends' houses without our mothers meeting the new friends' mothers first. My mother never asked what color some kid was. She just told me I better be polite and not "act like an animal" at their house.

One time, I fell off my bike and a man I didn't know came running with something to wrap my cut with and offered to call my folks. Another time, I just bought an ice cream cone from the "German" deli and promptly dropped it as soon as I got outside. The guy working there came out with a new one. People just seemed to do kind things on a regular basis.

Every Christmas, we couldn't wait to see everyone's Christmas Lights. We had block parties for the Fourth of July and we loved going to the Veteran's Day Parade.

Maybe we didn't all like each other, but when the new school school year started, that might all change. That's the Brentwood I remember.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1242 Nov 26, 2013
Georgia wrote:
The old Brentwood was far from perfect, that's for sure. But, as kids we were able to roam the streets, play on the playgrounds, and visit new friends' houses without our mothers meeting the new friends' mothers first. My mother never asked what color some kid was. She just told me I better be polite and not "act like an animal" at their house.
One time, I fell off my bike and a man I didn't know came running with something to wrap my cut with and offered to call my folks. Another time, I just bought an ice cream cone from the "German" deli and promptly dropped it as soon as I got outside. The guy working there came out with a new one. People just seemed to do kind things on a regular basis.
Every Christmas, we couldn't wait to see everyone's Christmas Lights. We had block parties for the Fourth of July and we loved going to the Veteran's Day Parade.
Maybe we didn't all like each other, but when the new school school year started, that might all change. That's the Brentwood I remember.
Very cool.... I do remember a neighbor would come by and drop off presents to my brothers and I. He was a very nice man. He lived on Franklin Ave off Fulton.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1243 Nov 26, 2013
Our neighbor would dress in a Santa outfit and take it upon himself to visit all the young kids on the block just before Christmas.
Robb Leombruno

Granbury, TX

#1244 Nov 26, 2013
You tellem Lija old Village School friend.
Lija wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad for you!
Michael

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#1245 Dec 11, 2013
Georgia wrote:
<quoted text>
I stumbled across this site looking for old pictures of Brentwood (where I lived until I was fourteen years old). I remember a Mr. Walker who taught gym at Loretta Park Elementary. I thought he was the greatest and I loved going to gym class.
I remember Mr. Walker , the gym teacher . I had him for gym when I attended South Jr. HS in 1969 . He had a man- handle on Jr. HS kids like they were in the marines . I think he was a little off-balance there .
Michael

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#1246 Dec 11, 2013
Brentwood ,Brentwood , Brentwood , and no where near the same place as it was in the 1950s to the early 70s . Moved there in 1961 and moved out in 2000 . The place got really dicey during the late 1990s , and now , forget about it . The town was a working -class neighborhood with some middle- class mixed -in . It is now like a poor 3rd world country in central America . I went to the Village Elem. School - South Jr. HS - Brentwood (Ross). We had a nice new high ranch house with a 3rd of an acre of property ,a swimming pool and patio . We had a nice sized boat docked at the Bay Shore Marina and would go fishing ,clamming , and crabbing . We would go to Atlantique Beach on Fire Island and go swimming . The south shore downtowns were nice and clean . We would also go to Robert Moses also . Times have changed but the good past memories goes on to a town that once was .
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1247 Dec 12, 2013
Ha ha, that sure sounds like the same Mr. Walker. I had him at Loretta Park. He sure kept us in line! As a matter of fact, I didn't even think of getting out of line in his class. I don't remember him yelling or anything, he just had a way of instilling fear. To this day, I still run ( well, really jog) and do "calisthenics". Every time "Heartbreak Ridge" is on, I think of Mr. Walker.

Sounds like you had a real nice place. Everyone back then seemed to have such pride in their homes. Remember how you NEVER walked on certain neighbors' lawns because they were so nice? And also because the mom would yell at you....
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1248 Dec 12, 2013
Mr. Walker may have been nicer to the girls since we had to hear these really ugly gym uniforms. We all looked liked deranged escapees from prison.
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

United States

#1249 Dec 20, 2013
Great... if there was anyone left in Brentwood that was worthy of our happy memories of the past now they're closing the Academy of St. Joseph. I remember cutting across the campus with a friend wondering why there were so many girls and no boys. One of the students said “we hide them in the trees”... Oh well, goodbye Brentwood, thank you for the memories.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1250 Dec 21, 2013
What a cute story! Too many Catholic schools closing everywhere.
I have a church related story. When my best friend and I wanted to get our ears pierced, her dad said she had to get written permission from a priest stating it was not a sin. We rode our bikes to St. Anne's and ran into a nice, young priest-(forgot his name)- who was from Puerto Rico. He recognized us because on occasion we would go to the "cool" Spanish speaking mass because at least the music was better. Of course he thought it was hysterical ear piercing would be considered a sin and wrote a very nice permission letter.

Brentwood was a great place to grow up in.-Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
ajcertoma

Brooklyn, NY

#1251 Jan 9, 2014
I lived on Sherman St, what year are you talking about
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1252 Jan 10, 2014
ajcertoma wrote:
I lived on Sherman St, what year are you talking about
It Would have 1972 . I lived on Wiley St.
Suzanne

Edmond, OK

#1253 Feb 2, 2014
I am doing a little reminesing this morning and came across the site. I lived on Kopf Street, moved out of Brentwood in 1979. I have so many great memories, and thanks to all of you I have a better recollection of these old memoies. Thank you.
plcman62 wrote:
Thank you all for bringing back so many memories of Brentwood. I lived on Grand Blvd between Jewel and Kopf. Remember playing in the islands and nor worrying about the traffic. hanging out at the mall with friends. going to Islip speedway for the races, the TRL on 111. The Mr. Softee truck, going to Robert Moses and Jones Beach. Brings bakery was so good. There are so many memories of the old places. I remember when superheroes was still in the old shop. Is it still there? Living here in South Carolina is just not the same. Went back to Brentwood several years ago and was very upset with the way it changed. Never thought that it could happen. Went to Laurel Park, 7th grade center first year, East junior high and then Ross. Graduated in 80. Oh, those were the times. If only we could bring back those days. Going to Hammerheads and the Mad Hatter on the weekends.
NurseT

Fort Myers, FL

#1254 Feb 13, 2014
OMG. My HS counselor at Sonderling High School told me I was not college material too and told me to go to the Vo-Tech. But later in life I earned my BS and am a Registered Nurse now. I also freelance as a Professional Medical Records Auditor. Wish I can go back and flip that "counselor" off for screwing me up with his opinion. It delayed me from entering college on time and I ended up pregnant and then a single mom for 7 years. I was a lousy HS student for sure. Just barely graduated with a C average. But if someone would have checked a little deeper they may have noticed that I was an abused kid with little to nothing to eat most days and was very sleepy during school due to this. My grades was a result of my horrible childhood. Would be nice if someone would have taken the time to find out why I had such low test scores. I'm glad you got your PhD. These ass-holes should never be let loose in our school systems giving their ill advise. It can very well ruin a persons life. I lived in Brentwood from 1969-1986.
NurseT

Fort Myers, FL

#1255 Feb 13, 2014
By the way, I was responding to "I hate Syrcuse" post about Mr. Weinstein telling him he was not college material.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1256 Feb 13, 2014
NurseT wrote:
By the way, I was responding to "I hate Syrcuse" post about Mr. Weinstein telling him he was not college material.
Very sorry you were abused as a child. Some people should NEVER have kids. Or dogs, or cats, etc.

So glad didn't listen to that jerk! Continue to have a great life.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commack Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 9 min Bruser 2,317
cesspool company scams (Sep '07) 22 hr longisland 63
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Thu Lisa 1,934
Review: Depalo & Sons Auto Body Inc (Nov '09) Thu Jack Oasis 17
Keahon is showman in the courtroom - (Sep '07) Oct 22 KLOOP 29
Poll: Do You Support a St. James CVS? Oct 21 dianenarr 1
HUGE Story and this Board is quiet - why? (Apr '11) Oct 20 Jane 4

Commack News Video

Commack Dating
Find my Match