Columbus elects first black mayor; mayors elected in Lumberton,...

Columbus City Councilman Robert Smith has been elected mayor, defeating three other candidates to become the first black mayor of the north Mississippi municipality. Full Story
Andera Brown

Columbus, MS

#1 Oct 11, 2006
i think its great to have a black mayor. It gives us a black people hope that all things are possible.
kenneth e williams

United States

#2 Oct 12, 2006
Well done coach. I am very proud of my home town for electing you and I know you will do a great job. This can only bring great opportunities to Columbus and the educational system there.S.D.Lee HIGH CLASS OF 1978 and M.V.S.U.CLASS OF1982.Big Hello from ATLANTA, GA.
Anthony Smith

Jackson, MS

#3 Oct 12, 2006
It's a blessing that they have an African American Mayor he will do well with everybody. I'm from columbus now living in Jackson Ms, pray for him that he make strategic decisions and not from nobody's opinion maybe he is the man with a vision without it the people will perish so hopefully columbus will rise to it's fullest potential. God Bless I pay that he'll be covered with the blood of jesus.
Ray Willey Hubbard

Blytheville, AR

#4 Oct 12, 2006
Anthony Smith wrote:
It's a blessing that they have an African American Mayor he will do well with everybody. I'm from columbus now living in Jackson Ms, pray for him that he make strategic decisions and not from nobody's opinion maybe he is the man with a vision without it the people will perish so hopefully columbus will rise to it's fullest potential. God Bless I pay that he'll be covered with the blood of jesus.
Was he born in Africa, if not he is an American who happens to be black. African-American is someone who came to America (legally) from Africa. I wish him well.
Jarred Ray

United States

#5 Oct 13, 2006
Unfortunately people seem to think that since he's black he can do know wrong. Color should not be an issue, but it is. We have industry coming into Columbus, and when these big business owners come in to talk with the Mayor, they will be in for a shock. This guy cannot speak correctly, and even has a hard time saying his own name. God help Columbus, because Robert Smith cannot.
doris williams kanu

Westwood, NJ

#6 Jul 19, 2007
I am so happy that they elected a black american mayor i grew up with him and i think he will make a very good mayor. I am sitting here at my desk at work and .So i typed in columbus , Misssissippi . so here is my comment please post it. here in newbrunswick Nj 08901
Pico89

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Sep 14, 2011
Ray Willey Hubbard wrote:
<quoted text>Was he born in Africa, if not he is an American who happens to be black. African-American is someone who came to America (legally) from Africa. I wish him well.
Your either American or not.
Swoop

Starkville, MS

#9 Aug 8, 2012
Well the votes in and the hero black mayor ant gona get it done........
Swoop

Starkville, MS

#10 Aug 8, 2012
Columbus mayor arrested for assault

Dispatch Staff Report
April 2, 2010 9:13:00 PM

The Lowndes County Sheriff''s Office confirmed today Columbus Mayor Robert Smith was arrested on assault charges stemming from an altercation with Ward 5 City Councilman Kabir Karriem, Thursday. 

Smith, who is charged with misdemeanor simple assault, turned himself in at the Lowndes County Sheriff''s Office at 4:30 this afternoon. 

Karriem, who could not be reached for comment, filed an affidavit against the mayor, who he says attacked him during a heated argument at City Hall. 

Read more: http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp...
Anna

Columbus, MS

#11 Oct 11, 2012
WAKE UP, Columbus voters & get rid of these no good thuggers. The mayor and the city council should be kicked to the curb!! That is, unless you like the direction Columbus is headed. Thank goodness I moved out of the city and into the county.
her

Bellevue, WA

#12 Oct 11, 2012
Anna wrote:
WAKE UP, Columbus voters & get rid of these no good thuggers. The mayor and the city council should be kicked to the curb!! That is, unless you like the direction Columbus is headed. Thank goodness I moved out of the city and into the county.
well they got a mayor now will be like memphis

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hunter Ridge Development - IPC (Aug '06) 9 hr oaknuts 44
Legislature takes up texting-while-driving bills Thu Tellus 1
Election now apparent for OCSD school bonds Thu Tellus 1
Plexus Slim and Accelerator has helped me lost ... (Oct '11) Jan 28 heartnurse 58
Deadline nears for C Spire's fiber optic Intern... Jan 27 Louise Mitchell 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Columbus, MS (Aug '10) Jan 24 Brian_G 42
Debate: Marijuana - Columbus, MS (Aug '11) Jan 22 mrs ward 3
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:30 pm PST