UTEP basketball signs high-ranked rec...

UTEP basketball signs high-ranked recruit

There are 26 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 29, 2010, titled UTEP basketball signs high-ranked recruit. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Rashanti Harris, a 6-foot-8, 240-pound center, has signed to play basketball at UTEP, UTEP athletics officials announced.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Paco

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 29, 2010
Barbee who????
abe

Roseland, NJ

#2 Apr 29, 2010
i guess it was for the best that barbee left ... great recruiting Floyd and Staff !!!!! cant wait for next season ... C usa Powerhouse
Tony

United States

#3 Apr 29, 2010
and it just gets better every day

Go Tim Go!
& Goooooooooooo MINERS!

Since: Mar 09

Dallas, TX

#4 Apr 29, 2010
The roster still needs a young point guard, a playmaker-in-training to run the show in two years and beyond.
Orange Rules

United States

#5 Apr 29, 2010
Wow. Great job Coach Floyd and staff!
John C

United States

#6 Apr 29, 2010
For everybodys information:

Harris was a highly recruited high school athlete as a senior last year--2009. He was being recruited by many high major schools but instead picked Geroria State in Atlanta where William Small (our new hire as an assistant the other day) was an assistant coach much to the dismay to many that thought he would/should wind up some place else. He followed William Small here to UTEP.

He was not eligible this past season at Georgia State due to academic problems. This could have been the reason that he did not go to a high major last year as a senior in high school.

I believe he must still be attending Georgia State and making his grades to be eligible here at UTEP next year probably not until December 2010.

Look up his profile on Rivals.com 2009 Top 150 recruits (he was listed as #57).

My question is whether he has four years eligibility at UTEP if he makes his grades

I hope he enrolls in Basketweaving 101, 102, etc and has a good tutor

Since: Dec 09

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 29, 2010
Thank you Barbee! lol

Since: Dec 09

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 29, 2010
he hasn't even coached his first game yet and he's already doing better than Barbee ever did....how many of you are still missing Barbee now?!

way to go coach floyd!

also...6'8" 240 beast of a center!....haha derrick who?
whiskey tango

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 29, 2010
Thanks John C! The Tim Floyd era of shady recruits has begun!
curious

United States

#10 Apr 29, 2010
YeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !
Danny

El Paso, TX

#11 Apr 29, 2010
Mark McDonald wrote:
The roster still needs a young point guard, a playmaker-in-training to run the show in two years and beyond.
When did Floyd step down and UTEP hire you?

I guess I missed that news story.
Maniac

Memphis, TN

#12 Apr 29, 2010
I cannot wait until the season starts. Give me my tickets now! Will the first sell out be the first exhibition game or the first regular season game?

Also, no need to bash Barbee he did leave us the team we have now and this is going to be a great year.
Isabella

El Paso, TX

#13 Apr 29, 2010
Amen Paco. Barbee who?
John C

United States

#14 Apr 29, 2010
AS a follow up to "For everybodys information":

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp...

Provides good commentary on Rashanti Harris. It appears that he has tremendous talent but must make a large committment to being the player he has the ability to be. He has academic problems and this Gerorgia publication states that Floyd and Small must instill in him the necessary desire to perform at his highest ability.

He has academic problems and this article states that he must get his head on straight.

If he does not get his academic affairs in order and gets cleard by the NCAA to be eligible here at UTEP he may be eligible to play for our armed forces in IRAQ of Afghanistan!!

Harris appears to be a high maintenance individual-- needs motivation.
_Arrrrrrr

Palo Alto, CA

#15 Apr 29, 2010
whiskey tango wrote:
Thanks John C! The Tim Floyd era of shady recruits has begun!
Why is it that everytime something good happens someone stupid like YOU has to come along and post your blabberish boop?
PEL

El Paso, TX

#16 Apr 29, 2010
John C wrote:
For everybodys information:
Harris was a highly recruited high school athlete as a senior last year--2009. He was being recruited by many high major schools but instead picked Geroria State in Atlanta where William Small (our new hire as an assistant the other day) was an assistant coach much to the dismay to many that thought he would/should wind up some place else. He followed William Small here to UTEP.
He was not eligible this past season at Georgia State due to academic problems. This could have been the reason that he did not go to a high major last year as a senior in high school.
I believe he must still be attending Georgia State and making his grades to be eligible here at UTEP next year probably not until December 2010.
Look up his profile on Rivals.com 2009 Top 150 recruits (he was listed as #57).
My question is whether he has four years eligibility at UTEP if he makes his grades
I hope he enrolls in Basketweaving 101, 102, etc and has a good tutor
My question is why do you assume he needs to enroll in Basketweaving 101, 102, etc.. It is readily apparent that these courses would be a challenge for you, but perhaps Mr. Harris is an intelligent young man who happens to be good at basketball, and may even be a better student than you were. Why don't you just congratulate Mr. Floyd on his excellent recruiting, and leave either the race-based or athlete-based stereotypes out of your posts.
Dave

Houston, TX

#17 Apr 29, 2010
I want to welcome Rashanti Harris to the UTEP nation. Good solid coaches and team!!!
Yes, this is going to be one great BB season. Can't wait. Go Miners!!
BxD

United States

#18 Apr 29, 2010
I say he takes some classes at la Tech on Arizona st. Thats where I went to get my grades up. Im just saying. Good luck kid, I hope you kick AS* like everyone says you do.
John C

United States

#19 Apr 29, 2010
I congratulate Floyd a great deal!!

I am a big fan of Tim Floyd being here at UTEP.

I appologize for some of the sarcastic remarks.

But I feel that when a player is recruited and put on scholorship, he owes it to the university, his family, fellow studends, teammates, and especially to the coaches who mold his character and make that kind of investment in an individual. If he is not ready to step up to the plate to make the most of his life then go into the military and learn discipline.

It appears if you read the link he has had
two chances post high school and not found his potential yet. He may not have finished high school and went on to a prep school and still did not qualify to play at Georgia State.

Let us hope for the best for this young man and watch what happens in his life!!

The link also points out that if he gets his act together he will most likely walk off to the pros early.

Even if that happens and Floyd and others instill in him the desire to be all he can be (no pun), then hopefullly he will eventually fiinish his college degree and do something with his life after basketball.

I believe that if anyone cand help mold this player and other individuals it is Tim Floyd.
PEL

El Paso, TX

#20 Apr 29, 2010
John C wrote:
I congratulate Floyd a great deal!!
I am a big fan of Tim Floyd being here at UTEP.
I appologize for some of the sarcastic remarks.
But I feel that when a player is recruited and put on scholorship, he owes it to the university, his family, fellow studends, teammates, and especially to the coaches who mold his character and make that kind of investment in an individual. If he is not ready to step up to the plate to make the most of his life then go into the military and learn discipline.
It appears if you read the link he has had
two chances post high school and not found his potential yet. He may not have finished high school and went on to a prep school and still did not qualify to play at Georgia State.
Let us hope for the best for this young man and watch what happens in his life!!
The link also points out that if he gets his act together he will most likely walk off to the pros early.
Even if that happens and Floyd and others instill in him the desire to be all he can be (no pun), then hopefullly he will eventually fiinish his college degree and do something with his life after basketball.
I believe that if anyone cand help mold this player and other individuals it is Tim Floyd.
Very well stated! I am also thrilled about Tim Floyd and it seems like each day brings more good news! UTEP Basketball cannot come soon enough!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyler Andrew Jones Ms Fire 2 hr Jonestrash101 1
Columbus troubles. Mar 23 you right 4
Plexus Slim and Accelerator has helped me lost ... (Oct '11) Mar 17 Uhg 78
News Northeast Mississippians help lead pro-educatio... Mar 17 Know Why 2
News Houston driver's license office closing (Oct '12) Mar 4 HowPhartzs 9
News Area high schools look to prepare students for ... Mar 4 Economy 7
News Trainer: Wet N Wild deal unlikely until lake re... Mar 1 Noadvancementofco... 1

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages