Shuff purchases Taylor's grocery in E...

Shuff purchases Taylor's grocery in East Hickman

Posted in the Columbus Forum

Rexall

Murray, KY

#1 Apr 20, 2009
When did John Shuff open his store?
Jim

Bowling Green, KY

#2 Apr 21, 2009
John opened his store in 1979
Jim

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Apr 21, 2009
The store in this article is the store the Taylors, Johns maternal grandparents owned. It was at the same location as Ben Hammocks grocery on moscow, right on the road between Phillip Grissoms house and the Green homeplace.
Jackie

Cordova, TN

#4 Apr 21, 2009
Rexall wrote:
When did John Shuff open his store?
This clip is from the Jan. 14, 1960 Hickman Courier.
Rexall

Murray, KY

#5 Apr 21, 2009
Jackie wrote:
<quoted text>
This clip is from the Jan. 14, 1960 Hickman Courier.
I was speaking of John's Shuff's clothing store. We always had to go in there when we came to town. I am confused as to where he had all of his stores. I know one was downtown maybe by Rumfelts Drug Store and one out in the bank area and once in the old Drug Store building but I am not sure which came when. I know my Mother helped them sometimes in the store after my Dad died.
RiverRat48

Niceville, FL

#6 Feb 4, 2013
This store was located in East Hickman. It was just past Joe Rumfelt & his 1st wife's home, on the same side of the road. Across the road from Taylor's (Shuff's) Gro. was a green house, called West or Wess Green house, which was next to The Fields home. Leonard & his wife had 2 sons, Mickey & John. John & his Mother had a clothing store out on the By-Pass across from the car wash later on.
An Observer

Washington, DC

#7 Feb 4, 2013
I'm seeking the name of the dry goods store down on the opposite end of the block from Rumsfelt's Drug Store through about 1970. Julius Hobson, maybe Dobson's or Falkoff's perhaps? The reason for my interest is that the family also owned a stone residence with an iron fence just past the Fulton County Courthouse. I was told that the striking residence is still owned by the dry goods store owner's daughter and that she may have married a Lattus and moved to Union City. Does anyone know of the status of that property and/or it's owner's intentions with regards to it? Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jana at Hucks 7 hr PsychopathicTruck... 24
Young Buck for older women 8 hr WOW 3
Carlee Fleming 9 hr Yupp 2
Meanest woman 15 hr Not scared 1
Ricky Parnell and his 75 Million Dollar Fantasy Sun Jokesters 2
not the only one Sun Sad 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Sat HOMEEE 644
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages