Cummins laying off 100 temporary workers

Cummins laying off 100 temporary workers

There are 110 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 6, 2007, titled Cummins laying off 100 temporary workers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Cummins Inc. is laying off about 100 temporary workers from a Bartholomew County plant for at least for the rest of October.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Vicki

Clayton, IN

#1 Oct 6, 2007
Go Cummins!!
Not Curious George

United States

#3 Oct 6, 2007
PROUND UAW MOMMA wrote:
I HAV NEW BIG TRUCK TO AND WORK UAW UNUION JOB HERE AND NICE BIG HOUSE ON LAKES WITH BOAT AND MONEY TO SPEND ON TV AND NEW KICHEN AND HOUSE. MY KID LIKE MONEY FRUM UAW AND HAVE STUFF AND IPODS AND VEDIO GAME AND TV IN ROOM WITH BOAT HERE AND HAVE FUN ON VACTION WHEN WE GO TO LAKE BOAT AND HAVE MONEY. UAW JOB IS GOOD FOR US AND HAVE NICE NEW CARS AND NEW BIGTRUCK AND HAVE TRAILER ON LAKES AND BOATS. WES NEED UAW HERE TO KEEP BOSSS AWAY TO BOTHER AND BE MEEN AND AT UAW FOR NO RESON AND HAVE TO WORK HARD TO MAKE THEM HAPPY CAUSE UAW IS GOOD TO US. IM HAPPY FOR UAW TO HAVE MONEY TO BY BOAT AND NEW TRUCK TO HAVE CAR AND NEW BIG HOUSE WITH 7 BEDROOM AND MAKE 140,000 LAST YEAR FOR WORK AND HAVE IPOD FOR KID AND NEW CAR TO DRIVE AND HAVELAKE BOAT WITH NEW TRUCK. I DRIVE A NEW DOGE RAM 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND HAS COSTOM STERO AND BIG WHEEL AND HAVE BOAT PAINT JOB FOR LAKES.
Not sure what you are trying to say or imply here but the UAW has no representation at Cummins,Columbus.
Marine Hero

Columbus, IN

#4 Oct 6, 2007
I just love how Cummins does this. On the front page of The Republic today, it says that Cummins sets new record profits. Cummins is no longer an American brand, their opening a massive plant in India (pay rate of .05 cents and hour) to go along with the China plant (.86 cents an hour)
Mr Lucas

Louisville, KY

#6 Oct 6, 2007
PROUND UAW MOMMA wrote:
I HAV NEW BIG TRUCK TO AND WORK UAW UNUION JOB HERE AND NICE BIG HOUSE ON LAKES WITH BOAT AND MONEY TO SPEND ON TV AND NEW KICHEN AND HOUSE. MY KID LIKE MONEY FRUM UAW AND HAVE STUFF AND IPODS AND VEDIO GAME AND TV IN ROOM WITH BOAT HERE AND HAVE FUN ON VACTION WHEN WE GO TO LAKE BOAT AND HAVE MONEY. UAW JOB IS GOOD FOR US AND HAVE NICE NEW CARS AND NEW BIGTRUCK AND HAVE TRAILER ON LAKES AND BOATS. WES NEED UAW HERE TO KEEP BOSSS AWAY TO BOTHER AND BE MEEN AND AT UAW FOR NO RESON AND HAVE TO WORK HARD TO MAKE THEM HAPPY CAUSE UAW IS GOOD TO US. IM HAPPY FOR UAW TO HAVE MONEY TO BY BOAT AND NEW TRUCK TO HAVE CAR AND NEW BIG HOUSE WITH 7 BEDROOM AND MAKE 140,000 LAST YEAR FOR WORK AND HAVE IPOD FOR KID AND NEW CAR TO DRIVE AND HAVELAKE BOAT WITH NEW TRUCK. I DRIVE A NEW DOGE RAM 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND HAS COSTOM STERO AND BIG WHEEL AND HAVE BOAT PAINT JOB FOR LAKES.
Let me guess. You're one of those anti-union nutjobs trying to be cute.
and again

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 6, 2007
Probably a Carmel pseudo-intellectual
austinresident

Ashburn, VA

#8 Oct 6, 2007
My brother worked for cummins for 12 years and got let go for some unknown reason in july. I guess $8 an hour illegal mexicans are cheaper to employ
austinresident

Ashburn, VA

#9 Oct 6, 2007
Marine Hero wrote:
I just love how Cummins does this. On the front page of The Republic today, it says that Cummins sets new record profits. Cummins is no longer an American brand, their opening a massive plant in India (pay rate of .05 cents and hour) to go along with the China plant (.86 cents an hour)
Great point record profits and laying people off let them try the nickel labor from India or China and see how they fare
honest opinion

Cross Plains, IN

#10 Oct 6, 2007
Sad how all these companies make billions of dollars and give there CEO's many millions of dollars per year,but can't afford to pay people to do there work.Just to make the stockholders and shareholders some money.Maybe that is why we have unions.What do you think?
Marine Hero wrote:
austinresident

Ashburn, VA

#11 Oct 6, 2007
honest opinion wrote:
Sad how all these companies make billions of dollars and give there CEO's many millions of dollars per year,but can't afford to pay people to do there work.Just to make the stockholders and shareholders some money.Maybe that is why we have unions.What do you think?
<quoted text>
WOW I Agree! I work for japanese owned firm and would like to talk to my friends about joining UAW but will be fired when I try

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

South Bend, IN

#12 Oct 6, 2007
austinresident wrote:
My brother worked for cummins for 12 years and got let go for some unknown reason in july. I guess $8 an hour illegal mexicans are cheaper to employ
"I guess" your brother was simply a loser and they booted his worthless butt because of that.
Boot Bart

Glenwood, IN

#13 Oct 6, 2007
They probably received a hefty tax abatement to employ those 100 people. Now what, Bart??
Lance

New Castle, IN

#14 Oct 6, 2007
Marine Hero wrote:
Last time I looked, this was a capitalist country. Cummins already has 2 "massive" plants in India. They have about 10 JV's or manufacturing operations in China. So what? Those plants, and the 50 or so other operations outside the US are part of the reason they stay profitable, and are able to emply so many people in the US. 100 people going home because Cummins' customer, whom they can't control, isn't ordering engines? Should Cummins just keep them on, paying them to do nothing?

And it's "they're". No "their".
Lance

New Castle, IN

#15 Oct 6, 2007
honest opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
There are alot of dumb people posting here tonight, that's what I think. Cummins isn't getting orders for engines.....so it's your opinion that the company ought to just pay people to stand at empty work stations all day? Just to make the shareholders and stockholders some money, you say? Newsflash, genius: THAT'S HOW CAPITALISM WORKS.
MARINE HERO

Columbus, IN

#19 Oct 6, 2007
Lance, you must work at Cummins (FSP) to know all of this crap like I did before I got into teaching at Columbus East. Why don't you go and explain to all of the employees' families why they are basically getting "fired" for doing everything right! Hey, everyone. There was an individual who got fired for bumping in to a female co-worker on accident. All of the people who saw it, also said it was done by accident. However, he was fired because she was offended and thought he did it on purpose... When did the minority gain more power in this country than the majority. How come all of these Japanese companies like Toyota and Honda come to the United States and not have the trouble that American companies do?
A Cummins plant in Columbus wasted nearly a million dollars in a huge "lean" attempt. The plan failed because the plant had already been "leaned" twenty years ago. Guess who pays the price, the type of men and women who built this country to begin with. Blue Collar!
By the way Lance, criticize my spelling all you want. I'm an educated man who served this country at the "highest" level. I have a sense of honor unlike you.

And it's "employ", not emply!
Sharon

Crawfordsville, IN

#20 Oct 6, 2007
Lance - well said. And they were "temporary workers" afterall so the expectation was set. That is good business sense to employ temp workers for an area that might actually be temporary or uncertain.
Lance wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I looked, this was a capitalist country. Cummins already has 2 "massive" plants in India. They have about 10 JV's or manufacturing operations in China. So what? Those plants, and the 50 or so other operations outside the US are part of the reason they stay profitable, and are able to emply so many people in the US. 100 people going home because Cummins' customer, whom they can't control, isn't ordering engines? Should Cummins just keep them on, paying them to do nothing?
And it's "they're". No "their".
Mr Lucas

Louisville, KY

#21 Oct 6, 2007
Lance wrote:
<quoted text>
There are alot of dumb people posting here tonight, that's what I think. Cummins isn't getting orders for engines.....so it's your opinion that the company ought to just pay people to stand at empty work stations all day? Just to make the shareholders and stockholders some money, you say? Newsflash, genius: THAT'S HOW CAPITALISM WORKS.
Yeah, Lance, it's capitalism when it happens to your neighbor but it's a tragedy when it happens to you. I'd love to hear that you were laid off indefinitely and then you could live on unemployment and start looking for a job that paid better than $8.00 an hour.

Then, Mr Genius, when you've walked a mile in those shoes, then maybe you'd have a little credibility.
austinresident

Ashburn, VA

#22 Oct 6, 2007
MARINE HERO wrote:
Lance, you must work at Cummins (FSP) to know all of this crap like I did before I got into teaching at Columbus East. Why don't you go and explain to all of the employees' families why they are basically getting "fired" for doing everything right! Hey, everyone. There was an individual who got fired for bumping in to a female co-worker on accident. All of the people who saw it, also said it was done by accident. However, he was fired because she was offended and thought he did it on purpose... When did the minority gain more power in this country than the majority. How come all of these Japanese companies like Toyota and Honda come to the United States and not have the trouble that American companies do?
A Cummins plant in Columbus wasted nearly a million dollars in a huge "lean" attempt. The plan failed because the plant had already been "leaned" twenty years ago. Guess who pays the price, the type of men and women who built this country to begin with. Blue Collar!
By the way Lance, criticize my spelling all you want. I'm an educated man who served this country at the "highest" level. I have a sense of honor unlike you.
And it's "employ", not emply!
WOW speak the truth to a LIE friend!
austinresident

Ashburn, VA

#23 Oct 6, 2007
that scared chicken will not come back my friend. Fire them all at Cummins and hire a bunch of illegal Mexicans I know I work there
David

Niles, IL

#25 Oct 6, 2007
Boot Bart wrote:
They probably received a hefty tax abatement to employ those 100 people. Now what, Bart??
Seeing as how neither Cummins nor Columbus is anywhere in Bart's jurisdiction, nor did/does he have anything at all to do with any tax incentives Cummins might have received, I don't think what Bart has to say on the topic really matters.

Bart Peterson may not be popular, but blaming him for something than happens in a different city and county that he has nothing to do with doesn't really show a lot of intelligence on your part.

Since: Mar 07

Columbus-

#26 Oct 6, 2007
Geez, I don't get what is the big fuss is over those temporary workers getting a layoff?

I mean, what part of "temporary" is so difficult for some people to comprehend?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a black man Jul 19 Shank 4
amy sullivan (Aug '12) Jul 14 Bigmanoncsmpus 40
Marci Sons Delacruz Jul 14 Bigmanoncsmpus 3
Burton Family Jul 13 Gena 4
Find my long lost family on my father side Jul 8 Gena 3
Eli Johnson and his gay daughter (Mar '13) Jul 5 AnonBtown 3
Smoky's Trees Jun 26 confused 2

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance