Why do music festivals fail in the Co...

Why do music festivals fail in the Columbus area?

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Live Inspired”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#1 Feb 25, 2016
Any ideas?
Stanley

Columbus, GA

#2 Feb 25, 2016
Because of the little group of talentless people who try and play music at them.
The Friday Night Concert series is popular because they bring in people from other places who know how to make music.
This is the truth.
Joe Schmo

Columbus, GA

#3 Feb 28, 2016
Columbus used to have a rich music vibe back in the 70's. I wouldn't call it a music scene but it rode on the coat tails of the South Rock phenomenon that was sweeping the nation.
Unfortunately the 1980's saw the decline of live music in Columbus as fewer and fewer bands came here, you always has the R&B and Country performers but the mainstream died out.
With the rebirth of the Uptown area many were hopeful Columbus would finally achieve some small step of getting a legitimate music scene, several nightclubs were born just for this purpose.
So what happened?
Many of the people perform were billed as something they were not, Playgrounds magizine would promote some event calling it the greatest thing since Woodstock.
People went and were disappointed, this happened time and time again. The so called Columbus music scene was all hype.
Many saw this and bravely spoke out but it was too late, the local amateur musicians had already entrenched themselves in to everything and dominated music in Columbus.
Just do a quick search on youtube and you will see exactly what I am talking about.
The people with vision for a real music scene in Columbus left or moved on and we are where we are today.
The best you can hope for is the entertainment brought to you by the Chamber of Commerce and the Rivercenter.
Its really pathetic when you think of what could have been.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#4 Feb 28, 2016
Joe Schmo wrote:
Columbus used to have a rich music vibe back in the 70's. I wouldn't call it a music scene but it rode on the coat tails of the South Rock phenomenon that was sweeping the nation.
Unfortunately the 1980's saw the decline of live music in Columbus as fewer and fewer bands came here, you always has the R&B and Country performers but the mainstream died out.
With the rebirth of the Uptown area many were hopeful Columbus would finally achieve some small step of getting a legitimate music scene, several nightclubs were born just for this purpose.
So what happened?
Many of the people perform were billed as something they were not, Playgrounds magizine would promote some event calling it the greatest thing since Woodstock.
People went and were disappointed, this happened time and time again. The so called Columbus music scene was all hype.
Many saw this and bravely spoke out but it was too late, the local amateur musicians had already entrenched themselves in to everything and dominated music in Columbus.
Just do a quick search on youtube and you will see exactly what I am talking about.
The people with vision for a real music scene in Columbus left or moved on and we are where we are today.
The best you can hope for is the entertainment brought to you by the Chamber of Commerce and the Rivercenter.
Its really pathetic when you think of what could have been.
Interesting observation. The local music right now is probably as lame as it ever has been. I call it the "Open Mic Karaoke Music Scene" because it is build are the open mic karaoke nights they have at local venues.
Thanks for the input.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#5 Feb 28, 2016
Stanley wrote:
Because of the little group of talentless people who try and play music at them.
The Friday Night Concert series is popular because they bring in people from other places who know how to make music.
This is the truth.
People in Columbus do like the Friday night thing. It is well attended and people enjoy the varied music.
CutBait music festival was going to be like that, there was some really talented musicians who were coming here but some of the locals wanted to be treated and promoted like they were these stars.
It really cast a shadow over a popular thing.
Shelly

Columbus, GA

#6 Mar 1, 2016
I can't stand all the smokers outside of the open mic coffee place downtown. All these people sit around smoking listening to the people play and just walking by almost chokes you out.
Someone wrote an editorial in the Ledger about it and how bad it was. Even if I wanted to stay and listen I couldn't cause I wouldn't be able to breathe!
Truth b told

Auburn, AL

#7 Mar 3, 2016
Shelly wrote:
I can't stand all the smokers outside of the open mic coffee place downtown. All these people sit around smoking listening to the people play and just walking by almost chokes you out.
Someone wrote an editorial in the Ledger about it and how bad it was. Even if I wanted to stay and listen I couldn't cause I wouldn't be able to breathe!
That whole area used to be much different and I don't mean better. At least now you can walk down the street without worrying about panhandlers, prostitutes or muggers.
Ranger

Columbus, GA

#8 Mar 3, 2016
Columbus does not have much to offer on the nightclub entertainment circuit. Saying Columbus has a music scene is a joke.
Zack

Columbus, GA

#9 Mar 3, 2016
I think I voted on this before. Its gotten worse since then too. Man, we are going in the wrong direction.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#10 Mar 4, 2016
Zack wrote:
I think I voted on this before. Its gotten worse since then too. Man, we are going in the wrong direction.
Hello Zack, good to see you posting again.
I wish I could move that poll over to this forum because it has alot of great points to discuss.
Have you been enjoying any of the local open mic karaoke nights lately?
Things have gotten worse, I predicted this would happen.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#11 Mar 4, 2016
Ranger wrote:
Columbus does not have much to offer on the nightclub entertainment circuit. Saying Columbus has a music scene is a joke.
100% agree.
What makes it so bad is things COULD have been much different,
Zack

Columbus, GA

#12 Mar 5, 2016
The Messenjah wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Zack, good to see you posting again.
I wish I could move that poll over to this forum because it has alot of great points to discuss.
Have you been enjoying any of the local open mic karaoke nights lately?
Things have gotten worse, I predicted this would happen.
Yeah, you and the censorship guy had about a month of non-stop posting about the issue. I thought it was great, what Topix is all about you know. Most of the commenters I know left because of the censorship. Glad to see you keeping the spirit alive and well here in Columbus Georgia.
We all moved to a private Columbus Georgia message board and it still remains active to a degree.
I have always liked Topix better though.
I don't live in the CSU dorms anymore as most of us have graduated and moved on. I still live and work here in Columbus but don't check out the Uptown scene as much as I used to. Last time I went out it was pretty dead.
I will check the Topix here more often now that their is a few intelligent people posting again.

Since: Jun 15

Columbus, GA

#13 Mar 6, 2016
I like your new forum. I will bookmark it.

Just wanted to pass along some really sad news, an icon on the Auburn music landscape has closed after many years: The War Eagle Supper Club is no more.

Bad news all around for music in the valley and surrounding area.
Conner

Columbus, GA

#14 Mar 7, 2016
So where do you go if you want to hear good music?
Levine

Columbus, GA

#15 Mar 10, 2016
I think they fail because they have only no-name scrubs playing in Columbus.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#16 Mar 13, 2016
Conner wrote:
So where do you go if you want to hear good music?
About the best chance in Columbus is the Loft. You have to stay away from any places that have these open mic karaoke nights. There are some really really bad musicians in Columbus and the sure fire way to spot them is at an open mic karaoke night somewhere....beware! LOL

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#17 Mar 13, 2016
Levine wrote:
I think they fail because they have only no-name scrubs playing in Columbus.
There was a place for the amateurs but they started thinking they were just as good as the bigger names getting gigs in Columbus. It was all vanity and they had no grasp on reality.

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#18 Mar 13, 2016
Columbus Music Info wrote:
I like your new forum. I will bookmark it.
Just wanted to pass along some really sad news, an icon on the Auburn music landscape has closed after many years: The War Eagle Supper Club is no more.
Bad news all around for music in the valley and surrounding area.
Sad indeed!

“Live Inspired”

Location hidden

#19 Mar 13, 2016
Zack wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you and the censorship guy had about a month of non-stop posting about the issue. I thought it was great, what Topix is all about you know. Most of the commenters I know left because of the censorship. Glad to see you keeping the spirit alive and well here in Columbus Georgia.
We all moved to a private Columbus Georgia message board and it still remains active to a degree.
I have always liked Topix better though.
I don't live in the CSU dorms anymore as most of us have graduated and moved on. I still live and work here in Columbus but don't check out the Uptown scene as much as I used to. Last time I went out it was pretty dead.
I will check the Topix here more often now that their is a few intelligent people posting again.
Thanks Zack. Looking forward to your unique perspective.
Opelika Man

Pell City, AL

#20 Mar 15, 2016
Is the music really that bad over there in Columbus Georgia?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Georgia Music Scene Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open Mic Karaoke (Nov '16) Sep '18 Donnie 28
Progress toward a legit music scene in Columbus? (Mar '17) May '17 Kelly 94
Vocalist (Oct '16) Apr '17 Kelly 11
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! (Dec '16) Feb '17 General Zod 7
Is Obama sabotaging Trump? (Dec '16) Dec '16 Anonymous 1
Where is the best music? (Oct '16) Dec '16 The Messenjah 8
Is it permissable?? (Dec '16) Dec '16 Stan 3

Forum Rules

Don't spam
Don't Troll
Don't post personal information
Avoid personal attacks. Keep discussions civil.
Avoid impolite and crude critiques of local musicians and musical events

Columbus Georgia Music Scene Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Georgia Music Scene Mortgages