Is Columbus a good place to live?
Gary Cornelison

Edmond, OK

#25 Apr 25, 2009
The North Highland are of Columbus has lots of problems. Lately I have been told by reliable sources that there are several lying Snitches to be aware of. Koddie Stewart, Jamie Sapp and her 2 friends Lissy and Lissy's brother Gary. My cousin recently retired from the DEA and told me. He should know
Mary Cornelison

Edmond, OK

#26 Apr 25, 2009
I would still recommend Columbus for it's low cost of living and nice parks like Cooper Creek.
Candy

Jacksonville, FL

#27 Apr 29, 2009
Anyone know of Bill Purvis? He is pastor of Cascade Hills Baptist Church. His ego is as big as the state of Texas. I personally do not find him to be the humble man of God that he claims to be. JUSY MY HONEST OPINION
What a Shame

Stony Brook, NY

#28 Apr 30, 2009
Columbus needs to be cleaned up and spruced up. Get some nice shops in there, restaurants, a theatre that has Broaday plays. Make it a place anyone would be proud of.

Get some old lamp posts and some pretty plants.

Come on folks get off your duffs, you can do it and while you are at it, drop the bigotry crap. It's so over and you don't even know it yet? Come on! Get real!

We're talking making it a place that's really nice and a place where people would like to come and visit. Rezone the place and get the bars outa there and tell them to take they're "townies" with them!

Now roll up your shirt sleeves and start working!
Loves Columbus

Lafayette, LA

#29 May 5, 2009
I think, all of you have lost your mind! Columbus has its ups and downs, as does every city, there are ghettos, middle class, and those who have money!!! There are worse places to live, trust me IM living in ONE now!! I would give anything to go back to MY HOME TOWN!! COLUMBUS,GA!! HOME OF THE INFANTRY!! MY MOMMA ALWAYS SAID IF YA DONT HAVE NOTHIN NICE TO SAY DONT SAY NOTHIN AT ALL!! Where Im living, they have bad roads, a couple drive throughs, tattoo parlors, and strip clubs!! it rediculas. Those bitchin about the military, and housing..can shove it!! The military and its money and families, have made that town turn..the military brings that town most of its money! hooah!!!not the famlies..you claim you have to have ties too..which some of them i do know and they are family friends.(not the heards) they are crooks. but besides that..that town has expanded and met the needs of alot of people..its almost the same size as Atl. Atl. has ghettos and middle class, and upper class..so screw you, if you dont like columbus!! go somewhere else. WE DIDNT WANT YOU HERE ANYWAY!!
Loves Columbus

Lafayette, LA

#30 May 5, 2009
Candy wrote:
Anyone know of Bill Purvis? He is pastor of Cascade Hills Baptist Church. His ego is as big as the state of Texas. I personally do not find him to be the humble man of God that he claims to be. JUSY MY HONEST OPINION
hahaha...he my granddadys cousin!!! thats funny.=] only met him twice. he seems like a nice guy, sori to here you dislike him.

“None”

Since: May 09

nowhereyouwanttobe

#31 May 6, 2009
Sad but True wrote:
Not really I am a transplant and Columbus is an extreme case of Good old boy system and Nepotism. It is a city run by a small group of elitists and churches. If you are connected then you will be fine but if not then you will have a hard time. Prices are relatively high compared to wages, schools are below average with 21 of the 35 schools considered failing or close to failing. There is a serious racial divided in the city which is highly instigated by politicians on both sides and the churches. It have extremely corrupt politics and business organizations, and success is most often determined to who you know. The University here is a joke and really is just a art and music school that has some other programs. The taxes here are corrupt and if you buy a home you will pay one of the highest rates in the entire southeast while grandfathered and politically connected ones pay extremely low rates. There are 18,000 homes of the 60,000 here that pay less than $50 a year in property tax but you wont qualify for that, and it has nothing to do with income or affordability. The school board runs amuck with corruption with the second highest paid superintendent in the state (over $300,000 a year FOR A PART TIME JOB)contracts are awarded based on nepotism, and they are building a $50 Millon dollar school board admin building while thousands of kids are in portable buildings or without text books, not to mention a $20 million library both projects were not needed and joint venture were available with federal and state projects but the city government refused since it would have to comply with open records and accounting procedures of the Feds and state, and contract awarding rules. City officials, family and friends conveniently buy land before the city does and then jack up the price which the city pays. The city just government just raised sales taxes and property taxes (not on the grandfathered elite) to help fund their crazy projects, traffic and infrastructure is insane at best, crime is high and rising unemployment is at 7% and the power brokers here actively keep out new capital, investors, and high end industry to maintain their control.
I would suggest otherwise, if at all possible If you want to stay in Georgia, than Gwinet County, Cobb County or the Newnan/Peachtree City areas are far nicer and better opportunity than here.
If you retire from the military, DO NOT stay here, you will regret it...now old Army brat.

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#32 May 6, 2009
I know that this is one of the most cruel places on earth. The 'they care for no one' here is more than true. The churches here only help those that put fear into the hearts of the elite. A great incentive to go gangsta. This place stays in a fog. It stays dull and for deliberate reasons. I cannot think of one good thing to say about this place in 48 years. Yes, I have seen all the posts about the Columbus haters can just get out of here! Well, they can pay the ferryman so I can get to the other side. Once here, it is doubtful that you can get enough money to get out. I had family here when I came back, they all moved, even my mother, and here I am stuck here. Columbus likes to stay shadowlike, quiet, never admitting to problems, everything is Andy of Mayberry here. Don't believe it, not for a minute.

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#33 May 6, 2009
Candy wrote:
I heard that Cascade Hills requires a signed agreement of a tithe for a year to join; with a credit card. I am almost one hundred percent sure of this, but would like to know for absolute certainty. I was told this by a very reliable source who was looking to 'find the Lord'. No matter, the churches here that I have seen are big social clubs. A preacher here and a big wig too, was presiding at a funeral for my friend's daughter, he pronounced Job, as in the Book of Job, as in job, where you work. He did this so many times, that I felt like standing up and correcting him. He came from a large church. Out of respect for my friend I did not.

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#34 May 6, 2009
Loves Columbus wrote:
I think, all of you have lost your mind! Columbus has its ups and downs, as does every city, there are ghettos, middle class, and those who have money!!! There are worse places to live, trust me IM living in ONE now!! I would give anything to go back to MY HOME TOWN!! COLUMBUS,GA!! HOME OF THE INFANTRY!! MY MOMMA ALWAYS SAID IF YA DONT HAVE NOTHIN NICE TO SAY DONT SAY NOTHIN AT ALL!! Where Im living, they have bad roads, a couple drive throughs, tattoo parlors, and strip clubs!! it rediculas. Those bitchin about the military, and housing..can shove it!! The military and its money and families, have made that town turn..the military brings that town most of its money! hooah!!!not the famlies..you claim you have to have ties too..which some of them i do know and they are family friends.(not the heards) they are crooks. but besides that..that town has expanded and met the needs of alot of people..its almost the same size as Atl. Atl. has ghettos and middle class, and upper class..so screw you, if you dont like columbus!! go somewhere else. WE DIDNT WANT YOU HERE ANYWAY!!
You have the right intentions and idea. I do not know how long you have lived here. Alas, it will never be Mayberry. The artwork I just saw downtown is horrible. Soldered tin can's in the abstract perhaps. When I think of the poor old Chattahoochee, I think of how it reflects this town. Sad.

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#35 May 6, 2009
Loves Columbus wrote:
Well, perhaps we should all follow in lock step, and say nothing but good, about 'anything'. It is nice, but I wonder what would really happen if everyone actually abided by that. I heard that too, but it was in the context of speaking about a person, not a town; but whatever. You seem to have a strong spirit. Peace

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#36 May 6, 2009
Mary Cornelison wrote:
I would still recommend Columbus for it's low cost of living and nice parks like Cooper Creek.
I love to swim. In a lot of towns you pay a dollar or two and have your swim. I cannot afford the YMCA and the swimming hours are so few for just an individual swim. Does anyone know where to swim here? The Chattahoochee is out, Columbus State filled in their swimming pool. Please post if you know of someplace. Thanks.

“Community Organizer”

Since: Nov 08

Columbus, GA by way of Atlanta

#37 May 7, 2009
iwonttell wrote:
<quoted text>
I love to swim. In a lot of towns you pay a dollar or two and have your swim. I cannot afford the YMCA and the swimming hours are so few for just an individual swim. Does anyone know where to swim here? The Chattahoochee is out, Columbus State filled in their swimming pool. Please post if you know of someplace. Thanks.
Double Churches

Also, I forget the name of the park, but I think it's off of Steam Mill Road... it actually has a bunch of water slides, etc. Looks like a damn water park.

There's a couple of other public pools too but the only one I've ever been to is Double Churches and it's been 15 years since I've gone.

“None”

nowhereyouwanttobe

#38 May 7, 2009
joshdash wrote:
<quoted text>
Double Churches
Also, I forget the name of the park, but I think it's off of Steam Mill Road... it actually has a bunch of water slides, etc. Looks like a damn water park.
There's a couple of other public pools too but the only one I've ever been to is Double Churches and it's been 15 years since I've gone.
Appreciate the reply. I have to have something better than a bird bath..I still am a good swimmer and really love it, as I have back problems. Even Eufaula, a very small, tiny, city has a place where one can go and pay to swim. Dothan has pools for a dollar. Maybe I will hit the lotto and get to move by the ocean or something. Thanks though

“Community Organizer”

Since: Nov 08

Columbus, GA by way of Atlanta

#39 May 7, 2009
Double Churches is huge and I think the other one is too.
Rosie

Huntsville, AL

#40 May 7, 2009
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Kill dear? You're a jackass.
LMAO
Roxy

Mountain Home, ID

#41 Jun 5, 2009
Columbus is a flippin Joke the schools suck the people are ether holly rollers or ghetto gang trash.I have never in my life been anyplace as nasty and f**ked up as here this town would not even be here if it was not for FT Benning I CANT WAIT TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!
ret2010

Phenix City, AL

#42 Jun 12, 2009
I grew up in Tennessee and Kentucky and partially in Columbus as a very young child. There are some very positive things about Columbus. What city do you know that does not have a founding family or families, elitist and conservatives who primarily rule and govern. If you don't like that situation, put in some work to change it, otherwise move away and don't let it hinder you from finding somewhere to live where you will be happy. I am happy here and travel a lot so I see how the other side lives. This is not bad considering the congestion in other cities, the unemployment in other cities. If you look at the cost of housing and the income here, it's not bad. The only people I know of in Columbus/Phenix City who are not working, don't want to work. Once you get out and meet some people who are positive and optimistic your attitude might change about how bad you think it is here. Much of what you say has been rumored for years, we grew up hearing it but it doesn't directly affect me so I let it rest. Have a good day and think positive as it will make your view so much clearer and better. If you have no control over it, let it go and live your life.

Since: Jul 07

Columbus, GA

#43 Jun 12, 2009
I've been here for a couple years and I've enjoyed it. Too conservative and religious for my tastes, but this is the South. We've got nice parks, I live in a good neighborhood with friendly neighbors, and my colleagues at work are great.

I suppose, like other locations, a lot of what you experience depends on where in town you live/work, your financial situation, and what specifically you need to be satisfied.

I'm not going out trying to meet new people and my child is not in school yet... maybe I'd feel different if my situation was different. Of course, the Army will move us out of Columbus before that happens so I won't even have to deal with the schools.
Truth BTold

Waverly Hall, GA

#44 Jun 16, 2009
If your moving from Phenix City or Cusseta its probably a pretty good move. On second thought maybe not, stay where you are. However their are exceptions if your a gang banger,thug,crackhead, habitual criminal,prostitute, homeless person (by choice only). Payed jack booted thug (Cop) or any other disturbed person then by all means come home to your kind. I know, the truth hurts sometimes but really that was my sugar coated description.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stefan Lawrence motivates his students to find ... 57 min Will Dockery 1
News Herea s how to get ready for the cold weather t... 1 hr Will Dockery 1
News Youa ve heard of fly-over states, but what abou... 1 hr Will Dockery 1
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) 1 hr Will Dockery 3,059
Poll Why should America avoid voting for Hillary Cli... (May '15) 8 hr Uncle George 94
News Big chill expected after rain moves out Wed Will Dockery 1
News Tompkins defeats Darr for Muscogee County sheriff Wed Will Dockery 1

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages