Is Columbus a good place to live?

“Maker of poetry, art & music”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#3142 Feb 7, 2014
Wall Street wrote:
<quoted text>
They are probably falsifying that report just to give the 98% of the population their false hope.
Columbus, Georgia is ran by a few elite. I know my cousin married one's daughter. She wanted to help a little military family for Christmas as courtesy of AFLAC. WoooHooo!!! The elite think that the military and their families should just go away and die. The police department is tired of policing a military town. Close down Fort Benning so the elite wont be bothered anymore.
Face it Will, you need to change name to "Why is Columbus so Pathetic?" ITS LEADERS SUCK MAJORLY!!!!
Unfortunately much of wgat you point out here is true, and goes back deep in the past, to the founding of Columbus-Phenix City.

I refer, again and again, to a history book available at the Bradley Library that nails the situation in terms that for some reason nobody much wants to discuss. In fact it won't be surprising if this post is ignored... again. The book is "Rich Man's War: Class, Caste, and Confederate Defeat in the Lower Chattahoochee Valley" By David Williams. And, yes, it wasn't so much "white or black" in the South back then, it was whether you were "rich or poor". Now why is that just not surprising to me, ever? This is running long but click the link and see the way the plantation owners manipulated the situation, and I'll see if I can excerpt some key bit, time & interest permitting. This is some fascinating, heavy reading.

Columbus, GA

#3143 Feb 7, 2014
read about slavery wrote:
read about slavery. Columbus iron works made all the slave shackles and slave seasoning tools. Columbus is proud of its role in slavery. the good old boys today meet to trade slave tags and antique chains. they use metal detectors to sift old lots for slave relics. they think slavery was a great institution. once they traded slaves. then horses. now used cars and title pawns.
I reckon at this point it may just be best to try and let all memory of that part of our Chattahoochee Valley's past fade into oblivion, given the ever-heated image the "oral tradition" has passed down..?

Maybe... but I find discovering the truth fascinating and inspiring, so here's more on David William's studies and book:

"...David Williams’s Rich Man’s War: Class, Caste, and Confederate Defeat in the Lower Chattahoochee Valley offers a close examination of the role of class within the Confederacy during the American Civil War. Williams scrutinizes issues of class within the lower Chattahoochee Valley running through Georgia and Alabama. This particular region elicits socioeconomic analysis due to the combination of agriculture, manufacturing, and transportation industries defining the area. Serving as a highly productive cotton region, an important port, as well as a congested railroad hub, the lower Chattahoochee Valley quickly became a crucial economic center throughout the nineteenth century. As such, the area was populated by very wealthy planters, successful manufacturers and merchants, factory workers, yeomanry farmers (both slaveholders and non-slaveholders), poor whites, and an abundance of slaves [...] the perceived threat of abolitionists toward the destruction of the institution of slavery overwhelmingly swayed the planter elite to advocate secession, beginning as early as 1850. The desire and decision to secede, subsequent to Lincoln’s election in 1860, directly opposed the will of the majority of those living in the South, according to the author. Conscious of the authoritarian position of the planter elite, and the inability to improve one’s social status, the remaining classes viewed the idea of secession ambivalently, with little to gain personally, and a military conflict to follow likely. In the end, the planter elite paid scant attention to the concerns of the other classes and voted for secession in defiance of the majority of the region’s inhabitants [...] Not simply the enactment of a draft by the Confederate Congress in 1862, but rather the implementation of a policy allowing substitutes, engendered the ire of the lower classes. The practice of substitutes directly favored the wealthy elites and insulated them from the dangers of combat. Even more contentious was the “twenty-slave law” allowing those individuals owning twenty or more slaves to be exempt from the draft. Such practices highlighted the disparity in socioeconomic status and privilege that characterized the Confederate South..."

Anyway, it just boils down in the end on where your head is at in these modern times and where your own perceptions take you. What seems obvious, and typical of these types to me will look different from your own culture and history.
Wall Street

Roswell, GA

#3144 Feb 8, 2014
My father saved lives in Vietnam when he was in the Air Force and my cousin's greedy father-n-law along with high up Wall Street types showed their appreciation for men and women that serve this country by taking a big sh-- on him and his family. I am surprised that these Wall Street types haven't nuked Fort Benning just to save time on annihilating them slowly. The "Money" in that town are working on new ways to steal from the military. Columbus, Georgia is one disgusting place to live and not by the people but by it's leaders. The crapped on family is from LaGrange.:-(

Columbus, GA

#3145 Feb 8, 2014
Wall Street wrote:
My father saved lives in Vietnam when he was in the Air Force and my cousin's greedy father-n-law along with high up Wall Street types showed their appreciation for men and women that serve this country by taking a big sh-- on him and his family. I am surprised that these Wall Street types haven't nuked Fort Benning just to save time on annihilating them slowly. The "Money" in that town are working on new ways to steal from the military. Columbus, Georgia is one disgusting place to live and not by the people but by it's leaders. The crapped on family is from LaGrange.:-(
A long dark history, no argument.
LDB

Dallas, TX

#3146 Mar 28, 2014
Whoever wrote this is spot on! I have very good job and recently I had the unusual opportunity to move back to hometown of Columbus Ga. In addition to the aforesaid reasons of the previous writer, I WOULD NOT SUBJECT MY DAUGHTER TO BE RAISED IN COLUMBUS. My wife and I are both born and raised in Columbus. Choosing not stay here has been a very difficult decision to make having a chance to be close to our parents. Again Columbus is not good for someone who is independently intelligent, educated, conservatively progressive, and Black.
Sad but True wrote:
Not really I am a transplant and Columbus is an extreme case of Good old boy system and Nepotism. It is a city run by a small group of elitists and churches. If you are connected then you will be fine but if not then you will have a hard time. Prices are relatively high compared to wages, schools are below average with 21 of the 35 schools considered failing or close to failing. There is a serious racial divided in the city which is highly instigated by politicians on both sides and the churches. It have extremely corrupt politics and business organizations, and success is most often determined to who you know. The University here is a joke and really is just a art and music school that has some other programs. The taxes here are corrupt and if you buy a home you will pay one of the highest rates in the entire southeast while grandfathered and politically connected ones pay extremely low rates. There are 18,000 homes of the 60,000 here that pay less than $50 a year in property tax but you wont qualify for that, and it has nothing to do with income or affordability. The school board runs amuck with corruption with the second highest paid superintendent in the state (over $300,000 a year FOR A PART TIME JOB)contracts are awarded based on nepotism, and they are building a $50 Millon dollar school board admin building while thousands of kids are in portable buildings or without text books, not to mention a $20 million library both projects were not needed and joint venture were available with federal and state projects but the city government refused since it would have to comply with open records and accounting procedures of the Feds and state, and contract awarding rules. City officials, family and friends conveniently buy land before the city does and then jack up the price which the city pays. The city just government just raised sales taxes and property taxes (not on the grandfathered elite) to help fund their crazy projects, traffic and infrastructure is insane at best, crime is high and rising unemployment is at 7% and the power brokers here actively keep out new capital, investors, and high end industry to maintain their control.
I would suggest otherwise, if at all possible If you want to stay in Georgia, than Gwinet County, Cobb County or the Newnan/Peachtree City areas are far nicer and better opportunity than here.

Columbus, GA

#3147 Mar 30, 2014
True the Columbus-Phenix City area may not be perfect, but what area /is/ perfect?

None, of course...
travis

Paris, TN

#3148 Mar 31, 2014
great place to live.
Wall Street

Roswell, GA

#3149 Mar 31, 2014
travis wrote:
great place to live.
. Columbus is in the top 10 impoverished cities in the U.S., along with Macon, and Albany. Columbus is considered more dangerous than some of the worst areas in Atlanta. Atlanta reports surrounding news where the media in columbus is being highly censored. The women in that area do not have adequate or equal representation in the court system. The police department is not worried about the citizens that pay their taxes are safe. The pd is more concerned with witch hunting and survveincing unsuspecting women. Male execs & college instructors are doing what the movie called " What women want" by spying on them at work, phone, and throughout their houses. Advertising companies are making a mint off these citizens. As long as the legal system there is onthe take. People there will be held down and stolen from eternally. The future kids of Columbus have little to look forward to. For a future for your child - MOVE!
Andy

United States

#3150 Apr 2, 2014
I know Columbus very well. I prefer the big city that's why I like in Atlanta.
Columbus is just a place, people are people. Everyplace has it's problems and quirks.
All these negative posters think they have to be in a certain location to obtain happiness therefore the are clueless about where true happiness comes from.
All I see are rants from unhappy people who find it easiest to blame a geographical place for their unhappiness and to blanket cover the entire place's population with their supposed flaws.
These posts are an indicator of the miserable condition of the the person posting more than any geographical location.
Grow up and looking inside yourself for the cause of your angst, not a map

Columbus, GA

#3151 Apr 2, 2014
Wall Street wrote:
<quoted text>. Columbus is in the top 10 impoverished cities in the U.S., along with Macon, and Albany. Columbus is considered more dangerous than some of the worst areas in Atlanta. Atlanta reports surrounding news where the media in columbus is being highly censored. The women in that area do not have adequate or equal representation in the court system. The police department is not worried about the citizens that pay their taxes are safe. The pd is more concerned with witch hunting and survveincing unsuspecting women. Male execs & college instructors are doing what the movie called " What women want" by spying on them at work, phone, and throughout their houses. Advertising companies are making a mint off these citizens. As long as the legal system there is onthe take. People there will be held down and stolen from eternally. The future kids of Columbus have little to look forward to. For a future for your child - MOVE!
As a resident of Columbus all that sounds a bit far fetched.

Columbus, GA

#3152 Apr 2, 2014
Andy wrote:
I know Columbus very well. I prefer the big city that's why I like in Atlanta.
Columbus is just a place, people are people. Everyplace has it's problems and quirks.
All these negative posters think they have to be in a certain location to obtain happiness therefore the are clueless about where true happiness comes from.
All I see are rants from unhappy people who find it easiest to blame a geographical place for their unhappiness and to blanket cover the entire place's population with their supposed flaws.
These posts are an indicator of the miserable condition of the the person posting more than any geographical location.
Grow up and looking inside yourself for the cause of your angst, not a map
That seems to nail it in many ways.
the good

Roswell, GA

#3153 Apr 6, 2014
The bad and the ugly. Columbus has some beautlful attributes. But in desperate need of updating. I think it finally got a dog park. Lol. There is a huge need for an Aldi's, Trader Joes, Quick Trip, some national and international corperations to add variety outside of aflac and tsys and synovis. Citizens need to be engaged in more social groups. Ones that empower girls and women outside of the churches. Recognize that people outside of the oldboygroup have purchasing power and opinions.I wish Atlanta women could reach out and inspire the very oppressed girls and women. Of columbus. If they did theywould bewitch hunted and murdered. I think it will be a focus for national news as a city of updating and change with befores and afters over a 5 year period. Girl power!

“taking a dive into the unknown”

Since: Jan 14

columbus ga

#3154 Apr 8, 2014
Yes Columbus is ok,.. Just like any place it has good areas and bad areas,.. but overall I do like it. I prefer going to Atlanta for some things but Columbus is home and that's just what it is. =)
the good7447

Roswell, GA

#3155 Apr 12, 2014
Troy University in Columbus/Phenix City is sooo over run by old boys network that the onlyway to demand equality for women, homo7447sexuals and people of color is to go to the University of Pheonix.and let the old boy men support Troy University. I used to tell people,as a joke, I hope iam protected by telling people who her dad is as much as sheis by tellingpeople who her daddy is. Lol. Columbus is overrun by mediocre daddy protects me type. That is why it is sooo impoverished. It is not aboutexcellence it is about promoting fluctuance. The old boy network feed the ignorant full hot air.

Columbus, GA

#3156 Apr 20, 2014
Lotus17 wrote:
Yes Columbus is ok,.. Just like any place it has good areas and bad areas,.. but overall I do like it. I prefer going to Atlanta for some things but Columbus is home and that's just what it is.=)
That's the basics... Columbus Georgia is a little like a really big "small town".
run like he--

Roswell, GA

#3157 Apr 24, 2014
The town s the worst place in the world for an honest entrepenuer. The gob crush that spirit with the use of a very corrupt police department. Women are victimized massively and mainly by the extra corrupted court system there. The women going to the universities there are #1 targets - hated heavily by the mysogenist male instructors. I know this because I worked for one of the universities and went to school there. The town for that size is more hateful than new york city. When I think of that town I think of russia or north korea. It needs help desperately. The gob built no side walks and despises all military and their families. Just run and remember the gob own that town.
Elle

United States

#3158 Apr 24, 2014
Great place to own a business and especially a good place for women.
Honest law enforcement and court system.
The people and Civic leaders love the military and support the troops.
Great schools and a good local University.
Friendly people and great weather, Columbus is a very nice place to live.

Columbus, GA

#3159 Apr 25, 2014
Elle wrote:
Great place to own a business and especially a good place for women.
Honest law enforcement and court system.
The people and Civic leaders love the military and support the troops.
Great schools and a good local University.
Friendly people and great weather, Columbus is a very nice place to live.
Great to see a positive view for a change.
Camp crystal lake

Goodwater, AL

#3160 Apr 26, 2014
There's nothing to do here
RRUUUNNN

Roswell, GA

#3161 Apr 26, 2014
There are good people in Columbus. I have a lot of family there. I called it home many years. It is one of those places that you have to leave and detox your self from it in order to see Columbus, GA for what it is. I go to visit family and go through some the affluent areas and compared to Atlanta the affluent in Columbus are middle-middle class. If you want your kids (especially of the female gender) to excel and have a chance, send that little girl away to College. If someone can post any rags to riches about the place. Please do. The only women and girls there that excel happen to be just the ones that were born into the money there. My father made the mistake of retiring from the military and moving there during a time that the military and there families were not suppose to live above the Macon road line. It was during a time when the Wealthy Ones Who Didn't Serve would pretty much come out and say than we were White Trash from the poor side of town LaGrange living in North Columbus and we need to be around those who were just there to serve the high pollutant poo poos there. I worked for one of the high exec types at Troy and he had me record the Phenix City Story constantly for him and his wealthy (never served) type of friends. The staff at Troy Phenix City were constantly referred to as "The Help." Believe it or not the 1% Wealth in that town truly despise the hell out of women, people of color, homosexuals, the poor, the UGLY. Yes, there is the Too Ugly to be promoted list secretly passed around AFLAC and the Colleges. Columbus, Georgia is a prime example of what not to do for growth and development.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) 5 hr Kelly 1,862
Word Association (May '15) 5 hr Kelly 1,238
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) Fri Will Dockery 5,504
Columbus-Phenix City music scene (Jun '15) Fri Will Dockery 32
News Special Report: The bridges of Muscogee County Fri Will Dockery 6
News Columbus Museum Gets Teens Into the Chattahooch... Thu hoochbear 6
Electric City Life Article Thu Will Dockery 327

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance