Vic

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

I grew up there as a military brat. Columbus should change it's name to nepo-tropolis. I hate the place. Got out as soon as possible and now live in San DIego, CA. It is a performance based economic culture. Not much nepotism
Lickskillet

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Many in the military get out and want to stay here but don't have the skills or education to match up with the locals so the get turned down for jobs, so instead of trying to get the skills, they chalk it up to nepotism or "good ol boys" as a excuse for their shortcomings.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Vic wrote:
I grew up there as a military brat. Columbus should change it's name to nepo-tropolis. I hate the place. Got out as soon as possible and now live in San DIego, CA. It is a performance based economic culture. Not much nepotism
Wow... sorry you had such a tough time here in Georgia, Vic... at least you finally found your niche and "greener pastures" out in California.

--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Lickskillet wrote:
Many in the military get out and want to stay here but don't have the skills or education to match up with the locals so the get turned down for jobs, so instead of trying to get the skills, they chalk it up to nepotism or "good ol boys" as a excuse for their shortcomings.
Well "best man for the job" is always the way it should be, but it doesn't always go that way in the real world.
Phenix City Transplant

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

Judged:

No place in this country prettier than Phenix City Summerville Road in the Springtime with all the flowers blooming, Sorry Columbus, you don't come close.
Phenix City Transplant

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

Judged:

I forgot to add Moon Lake and it's nice jogging trail.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Phenix City Transplant wrote:
I forgot to add Moon Lake and it's nice jogging trail.
Moon Lake at Christmas I've always enjoyed... and in fact a couple of years ago had the great pleasure to be a part of a Christmas Concert the songwriter's group from Columbus put on there.

I sang "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

Phenix City Transplant wrote:
No place in this country prettier than Phenix City Summerville Road in the Springtime with all the flowers blooming, Sorry Columbus, you don't come close.
I spent many hours and days headed out Summerville Road to the Goat Rock Dam park...

Indeed I agree there's no place quite like it out there, or back then... haven't been in quite a long time now.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Sad but True wrote:
Not really I am a transplant and Columbus is an extreme case of Good old boy system and Nepotism. It is a city run by a small group of elitists and churches. If you are connected then you will be fine but if not then you will have a hard time. Prices are relatively high compared to wages
While Columbus does seem to have some of the favoritism you mentioned, and definitely the high prices, I'm afraid you'll be finding that almost anywhere in America, and the rest of the world.

If there's a Utopia out there I haven't got wind of it yet.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

While doing a Google Search for information on Tarlton and Darby, I came across what seems to be a sequel to the piece I excerpted here yesterday, with some interesting new detials:

Maybe clear the air with a shot of good old Country & Western music, which in many ways began right here, as notable as Ma Rainey and Carson McCullers... here's Rick Edwards and Henry Conley discussing these facts:

http://youtu.be/XIEudqkPWPQ

And the Brad Barnes article that inspired the conversation:
[From the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer 2007]
Duet argued over who penned lyrics
BY BRAD BARNES--Wherever they met, it's not hard to guess out how the two started talking. They shared an interest in music, and both grew up on farms.
Their history is well-documented in the liner notes accompanying the complete collection of the duo's recordings.
Tom Darby was born in Columbus in 1884. He was a farmhand and picked up other odd jobs as he could, finger-picking music on his guitar more or less as a hobby.
Jimmie Tarlton, a drifter and son of South Carolina sharecroppers, was eight years Darby's junior. He'd already seen much of the country, traveling with his guitar and buskin' music on sidewalks when he ended up in Columbus, in 1927.
Tarlton had played guitar since he was very young. He was 10 when he got the idea to set the instrument in his lap and use a knife handle to make his guitar melodies warble and weep. More than a decade later, he'd meet a Hawaiian guitarist named Frank Ferera who played similarly, and the two shared their tricks.

When a man at that music store suggested Tarlton and Darby team up together, they were 35 and 42, respectively. That same music store fellow took them to Atlanta with other promising Columbus musicians for an audition with Columbia Records.
Those audition recordings yielded two songs for Darby and Tarlton's first single on Columbia's country and hillbilly music imprint. One tune was a needling yarn called "Down in Florida on a Hog," backed with a tune called "Birmingham Town."
The duo returned to Atlanta in November 1927 for a full-fledged recording session, and Columbia issued "Birmingham Jail" backed with "Columbus Stockade Blues" on a 78, right between releases by the Macon Quartet ("Yodel"/"Uncle Joe") and Chris Bouchillon ("Bullfight in Mexico"/"Chris Visits the Barber Shop").
The label expected "Birmingham Jail" to be the big hit. But both songs became smashes, and "Stockade" is the one that proved to have staying power.

Why did the song strike such a chord with folks?

"My gut feeling is, it's a good, sad song," Arlo Guthrie said. "Songs of abandonment -- where you're stuck in a place you don't want to be -- that's as relevant today or more relevant today than it ever was."

In the days before bar codes and Soundscan, record sales numbers were estimates, but bluegrass expert Dick Spottswood says the record sold close to 200,000 copies.

"It was one of the largest-selling country music records that was ever recorded," said Ricky Whitley, a musician who, as Tom Darby's nephew, got to spend time with the old guitar picker when Whitley was a child.

The record's sales were notable considering the day, the price (about 75 cents a copy), and the limited market for country music.
"This series overall sold modestly," said Peter Shambarger, executive director of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, a nonprofit organization. Columbia didn't expect much, as the series was aimed at a specific niche: namely whites in the rural South.

It's easy to hear the blues influence in some of those early "hillbilly" country records, particularly Darby and Tarlton's, with its prominent slide guitar.
-Brad Barnes

Reposting here and on the thread where this is most on topic, the history of the local music scene.

--
"Wobble" / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_129...
ColumbusSucks

Madison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

In my opinion, Columbus would be better off if it and all of its residents fell into a hole. I am a little spoiled, and before meeting my husband, who is in the Army, had been fortunate enough to live in only the best, most beautiful places in the world. So, living in the biggest hell hole in America, with close-minded, anti-intellectual, racists, has been quite the adjustment. The schools are pitiful, as are its teachers, but this is probably due to a general lack of quality education. I have been assaulted by racists purely because I am white, and there is nothing to do here. The town is also extremely overpriced for what it offers. Sure, you can buy a decent house in North Columbus. But then you have to worry about people from South Columbus robbing you every night. Or assaulting you. Also, beware if you see the license plate 2cent. I live in a good neighborhood, and they assaulted me when I was out on a bike ride. I suspect they were looking for cars to break into

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

ColumbusSucks wrote:
In my opinion, Columbus would be better off if it and all of its residents fell into a hole. I am a little spoiled, and before meeting my husband, who is in the Army, had been fortunate enough to live in only the best, most beautiful places in the world. So, living in the biggest hell hole in America, with close-minded, anti-intellectual, racists, has been quite the adjustment. The schools are pitiful, as are its teachers, but this is probably due to a general lack of quality education. I have been assaulted by racists purely because I am white, and there is nothing to do here. The town is also extremely overpriced for what it offers. Sure, you can buy a decent house in North Columbus. But then you have to worry about people from South Columbus robbing you every night. Or assaulting you. Also, beware if you see the license plate 2cent. I live in a good neighborhood, and they assaulted me when I was out on a bike ride. I suspect they were looking for cars to break into
Wow... sorry your time here in Columbus has been so terrible!
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Lived in many places and Columbus suits me fine!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Columbus Native wrote:
Lived in many places and Columbus suits me fine!
Same here... I'm proud to call this area home, obviously.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Dexter wrote:
This is a right-wing elitist town. Recently, almost every Obama/Biden sign got stolen. Citywide. What did the police do? Nothing.
Yet, the Democratic party still carried Muscogee County!
Shorty

Phenix City, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

TIRE JUNGLE wrote:
Where are all the gals today from the HUSSEY'S TIRE JUNGLE TV commercials.
Dont know bout the girls, but i can only hope that that thief Samford Hussy is in JAIL!!!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Shorty wrote:
<quoted text>Dont know bout the girls
The girls are now in their 50s, and doing well the last I heard.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
Cdub

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Born and raised in Columbus - as soon as I was able to leave I did so, and I've never looked back. The place sucks on so many levels I wouldn't even know where to begin.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Slat Man wrote:
Generally, most military who do not like Columbus miss their homes. Understandable.
But then you got people who will never be happy anywhere.
Like the story of the gas station man, when someone new to town would ask "What are people like around here?" He would answer with a question, "What are like where you came from?"
Some would answer "They suck, they are awful" others would answer "Oh they are great people, nice and good"
The gas station man had the same reply to all of them. "The people in these parts are pretty much the same way"
Now ain't that the truth.
Excellent points.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

___Lorri___ wrote:
<quoted text>
Great story. My Grandad told on similar but it was a train station.
I agree wholeheartedly.
As much as we argue, one thing we can agree on, the Columbus-Phenix City area is a great place to call home.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,881 - 2,900 of3,100
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••