Suomusjärvi, Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2008

Judged:

Not really I am a transplant and Columbus is an extreme case of Good old boy system and Nepotism. It is a city run by a small group of elitists and churches. If you are connected then you will be fine but if not then you will have a hard time. Prices are relatively high compared to wages, schools are below average with 21 of the 35 schools considered failing or close to failing. There is a serious racial divided in the city which is highly instigated by politicians on both sides and the churches. It have extremely corrupt politics and business organizations, and success is most often determined to who you know. The University here is a joke and really is just a art and music school that has some other programs. The taxes here are corrupt and if you buy a home you will pay one of the highest rates in the entire southeast while grandfathered and politically connected ones pay extremely low rates. There are 18,000 homes of the 60,000 here that pay less than $50 a year in property tax but you wont qualify for that, and it has nothing to do with income or affordability. The school board runs amuck with corruption with the second highest paid superintendent in the state (over $300,000 a year FOR A PART TIME JOB)contracts are awarded based on nepotism, and they are building a $50 Millon dollar school board admin building while thousands of kids are in portable buildings or without text books, not to mention a $20 million library both projects were not needed and joint venture were available with federal and state projects but the city government refused since it would have to comply with open records and accounting procedures of the Feds and state, and contract awarding rules. City officials, family and friends conveniently buy land before the city does and then jack up the price which the city pays. The city just government just raised sales taxes and property taxes (not on the grandfathered elite) to help fund their crazy projects, traffic and infrastructure is insane at best, crime is high and rising unemployment is at 7% and the power brokers here actively keep out new capital, investors, and high end industry to maintain their control.

I would suggest otherwise, if at all possible If you want to stay in Georgia, than Gwinet County, Cobb County or the Newnan/Peachtree City areas are far nicer and better opportunity than here.
Former Columbus lifer

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Judged:

I was born in Rome GA, but moved to Columbus when I was 2. My mother grew up in Columbus and was a debutant, and a member of the Jr League. We were well connected. I got a summer job when I was in college because I was able to put the owner of the business down as a reference. I knew him and his kids from Church, and he and my mother grew up together. We were very well connected.

I hated the place. It's dull, and filled with idiots. Columbus is a small town with a lot of people. It is close minded and anti-intellectual. It is everything bad you can think of and nothing good.

It's intolerant religion and military rolled into one, and as the fellow above said, the money's no good there.

I left when I could and most of the people with any creativity left as well.

I work with a lot of people from around GA now. Most people like their home town. The people from Columbus all hate Columbus.(I admit, this is a small sample and it's a sample of people who left town, so that's likely not fair)

Now, my mother loved Columbus and never understood why i didn't, her friends love it, but then, Columbus was set up for people like them.

Don't move there!
reginald

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2008

Judged:

I don't really have much to add to this thread, but I'd like to add that this place only has like 4 public parks, the rest seem to be private residents only type parks in the newer subdivisions in North Columbus, there seems to be more golf courses then there are parks here. Not really a decent place to raise a family if you ask me.
Jeff

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

Judged:

I agree with all of the above and there are actually worse problems than those listed
Dexter

Valley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

This is a right-wing elitist town. Recently, almost every Obama/Biden sign got stolen. Citywide. What did the police do? Nothing. The police are corrupt and violate the laws constantly. One certain judge, Haywood Turner, accepts bribes. He really does. The town itself is full of idiots. The school system is laughable. It has been like this for decades. I agree with everyone above.
BronxDiva29

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Judged:

Sad but True wrote:
Not really I am a transplant and Columbus is an extreme case of Good old boy system and Nepotism. It is a city run by a small group of elitists and churches. If you are connected then you will be fine but if not then you will have a hard time. Prices are relatively high compared to wages, schools are below average with 21 of the 35 schools considered failing or close to failing. There is a serious racial divided in the city which is highly instigated by politicians on both sides and the churches. It have extremely corrupt politics and business organizations, and success is most often determined to who you know. The University here is a joke and really is just a art and music school that has some other programs. The taxes here are corrupt and if you buy a home you will pay one of the highest rates in the entire southeast while grandfathered and politically connected ones pay extremely low rates. There are 18,000 homes of the 60,000 here that pay less than $50 a year in property tax but you wont qualify for that, and it has nothing to do with income or affordability. The school board runs amuck with corruption with the second highest paid superintendent in the state (over $300,000 a year FOR A PART TIME JOB)contracts are awarded based on nepotism, and they are building a $50 Millon dollar school board admin building while thousands of kids are in portable buildings or without text books, not to mention a $20 million library both projects were not needed and joint venture were available with federal and state projects but the city government refused since it would have to comply with open records and accounting procedures of the Feds and state, and contract awarding rules. City officials, family and friends conveniently buy land before the city does and then jack up the price which the city pays. The city just government just raised sales taxes and property taxes (not on the grandfathered elite) to help fund their crazy projects, traffic and infrastructure is insane at best, crime is high and rising unemployment is at 7% and the power brokers here actively keep out new capital, investors, and high end industry to maintain their control.
I would suggest otherwise, if at all possible If you want to stay in Georgia, than Gwinet County, Cobb County or the Newnan/Peachtree City areas are far nicer and better opportunity than here.
This is the best and most truthful description I have ever read about Columbus, GA. Don't come here if you do not have strong ties to this community already. School system is absolutely worthless. Housing prices are overinflated and the new housing are cheaply built..worst contractors I have ever seen. Major crooks. They keep housing...this includes rentals...high because of Fort Benning. And after the news that the government was sending something like 5000 new military families to Fort Benning, the town started building a massive number of houses which they say will remain highly priced because the soldiers will pay any price for the houses. But this houses are so cheaply made and quickly built it is a shame. People have been in their brand new homes for two years and having major plumbing and roofing issues.

Columbus State University actually is a good school for anyone wanting a decent secondary education and the price is affordable. The university is more focused on the arts because that is where the money is. Columbus State is not one of Georgia's flagship institutions like UGA or Georgia Tech so the state doesn't give the money to it like the flagships get and won't allow the state schools to raise tuition so they have to get money by increasing number of students and donors. The big money donors give money to the fine arts programs and the business programs which are both good programs. The nursing program is one of the best in the state as well.

“Stick it in your carpetbag”

Since: Apr 07

Phenix City, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Judged:

Wow, I am surprised at the negativity in some of the responses.

Rule of thumb: The grass is ALWAYS greener anywhere other than where you happen to be.

Columbus has its shortfalls, to be sure. Right now, there is an issue with a rising crime rate that probably goes back to the national economy. The city government has had its ups and downs and the local school board is a just little tyranical.

But compared to other cities of similar size, Columbus holds its own weight. There are improvements that could be made... but of Georgia's major cities, Columbus is probably the best if you are looking for a lower cost of living and a fairly good standard of the same.

One person's opinion? Not as bad as Atlanta for being crowded, or as bad as Savannah for racial strife, or as dirty as Augusta, or as congested as Macon.

Best wishes.
David L

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

I came from Manhattan NEw York CIty - the "REAL" Old boys - Sure Columbus has it's wannabees and trues - BUT!!!! Try living in LA new York Miami Atl or Sydney for the same price and all you can eat - Although I'm a white guy, I AM disappointed most of my friends here are black cause I sacre the old white guys - BUT in terms of LOW traffic and EASE of USE...I cae here 12 years ago - bought a house with a third of an acre (NOT THE NEW JUNK) for 63,000 with a mortgage of 450 a month - and can eat all I want for 7 bucks - BOred to death? Yeah, but surivin' for sure - MUCH better place for Kids than a single old white fart
Salara4

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2008

Judged:

Columbus in my opinion is a good place to raise a young family, but after the children grow up or atleast become teenagers they are ready to move. It can be very close minded and the north side of town has everything and as you further south, they have less. I'd say it's a Great place to retire.

Columbus State is a good school. People from all over the world study here and they have excellent programs.

But as mentioned above Columbus IS controlled by 5 families. And it's old money and what they say and what want goes... and this is how they built the city since they own it. From what i know i believe some of the familes are the Jordan's, Heard's *as in Bill Heard Chevrolet* And I think i's buchannon *not for sure* I'm not for sure of the other's..
Salara4

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2008

Judged:

And also...., As for me I'm ready to get the hell out.., The suburbs of Atlanta, Really big areas, are much better. I won't miss a thing about Columbus..

“"Pieces be unto you!"”

Since: Apr 07

Hamilton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Judged:

There is a simple solution for all of the Columbus haters...Goodbye.
The problems you mentioned regarding the five families and the contractors are quite true. It is a terrible problem that has caused much strife. They have created thousands of jobs, businesses and a tax base, however.
As for right wing?
Maybe so, what's wrong with that?
Who runs the corporations, fights the wars and works to keep the wheels turning?
Righties do.
The next time you find yourself in one of those litter strewn neighborhoods south of Macon Rd. with so many young, healthy, working-age males walking the streets on any workday, count the Obama signs. They're still there.
Don't give me the downtrodden argument either. If they can walk, they can work. Why do you think the Mexicans came here? The shiftless care not.
Former Columbus Lifer

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2008

Judged:

I did leave. Gladly. The five families are all intermarried, too.

Columbus is cheaper than other places to live and the congestion is less. This is also true for Zimbabwe. But, of course, you make less there, too.

The worst aspect of Columbus is the conservatism, and I'm not talking about political, though there is that, too. I mean that originality is not valued there. The elites are happy with the way things are and they don't want to change it.

Columbus is stultifying and will always be as long as the brightest kids leave.(I'm not talking about myself, here.)

Unfortunately, it's just not an interesting place.

I admit I'm biased. I grew up there and it's never going to impress me.
Betty Williamson

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2009

Judged:

Columbus is a dying,Southern town. There was an attempt a few years ago at revitalization. Arson seems to be the latest step towards revitalization. Just my humble opinion.
livedallover

Oceana, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

Judged:

I tell ya... I am originally from a very small farm town. I have lived in major cities, spread through about 9 states, and I can say that when I found myself in Columbus, I knew it was my favorite. I'm back in a big city up North, now but I get back there as often as I can.

Here are a few *positive* things about Columbus, in my eyes.

**The smell is intoxicating...clean.
**Traffic's not too bad... take it from me... I know.
**Contrary to belief, there are things to do there.
***There's a good handful of little hole in the way dives, that would surprise you, if you would step through the door. You can get a drink, shoot some pool, watch a game, hear some music and dance all at the same time.
***There's a wide array of restaurants that are open, pretty decent hours.
***There's any shopping you need, and if your tastes are a little more "decisive"... there's outlets a few hours away (aka... nice weekend trip).
***Sure there are only a small number of parks, this is true... but, you aren't gonna go to a park, and NOT have a place to {insert your activity here}.
***Libraries all over.(Free entertainment, people.)

So there are a few problems with the "higher ups"... so what? So does every other town of it's size. Whoever brought up "the grass is greener on the other side"... kudos to you. To me... Columbus is "my other side".
cut the cheese

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

Judged:

Sad but True wrote:
who gives a sh*t about columbus. this is bainbridge forum dumba$$
livedallover

Oceana, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

cut the cheese wrote:
<quoted text>who gives a sh*t about columbus. this is bainbridge forum dumba$$
what are you even talking about? this is a columbus thread, in a columbus forum. now who's the da?
Wader

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Judged:

Sad but True wrote:
Columbus,Georgia has to be voting the worst city in America. You do NOT want to live here. For God's Sake don't even consider raising a family here. This city cares about no one.
stuckhere

Fairhope, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

My father moved here back in 1990 due to being in the military. Later when I went to CSU, I began a good education and was happy. However, due to some issues the school gave me the finger and kicked me out their door and grinned as they happily placed me in debt with no assistance.

Yes, I guess I could go use their job office, but looking there for work is not any better than looking on line or through the dept. of Labor. Of all my friends only one still attends CSU and the rest are unhappy with their education from that school. I would never suggest anyone to go there as their education is only for those who plan to stay in Columbus, which the opportunities for occupations and advancement is few and far between.

I'll be moving out of this boring, sorry town as soon as I can. And I agree for someone who isn't one of the top three most popular religions people here are very biased towards people not like them.

And it seems the police either don't get paid enough to care about their work or are corrupt because my friend was shot at and her car was shot up a couple of years ago and the police didn't seem to care to try to find out who or why.
Alex

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2009

Judged:

Columbus Georgia is dying. The fake goodie goodie attitudes of the white trash that abounds there is overwhelming. That city and most of it's citizen's are idiots who deserve each other. It's a city of big brave guys who hide behind bushes and kill dear and call themselves brave men. It's a city of drunks. Of women (fat) and aging who look like bleach blonde white trash. blacks the same. Columbus Georgia isn't a place to be proud to be telling anyone you're from. It's a national disgrace.
Whatever

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2009

Alex wrote:
Columbus Georgia is dying. The fake goodie goodie attitudes of the white trash that abounds there is overwhelming. That city and most of it's citizen's are idiots who deserve each other. It's a city of big brave guys who hide behind bushes and kill dear and call themselves brave men. It's a city of drunks. Of women (fat) and aging who look like bleach blonde white trash. blacks the same. Columbus Georgia isn't a place to be proud to be telling anyone you're from. It's a national disgrace.
Kill dear? You're a jackass.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of3,100
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••