Columbus Georgia music-art-poetry scene

Posted in the Columbus Forum

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#1 Dec 21, 2012
While remembering the early days of what I consider the early, and greatest in some ways, since in 1995-97. It looked that perhaps anything was possible from the opening chords and verses of the Columbus-Phenix City scene, not just music, but poetry, art... ideas. Since not only was there the early, frantic moments of a "music scene", meaning music created in, from, and sometimes about the Columbus-Phenix City area, our music, but also a fairly complex network of poets, and yet another spiraling group of artists... and I walked into that surprising world sometime early in 1995, when, insane as it may sound now, The Loft held a weekly poetry reading, and even more insane seeming, the place was packed out loaded with people, not only just poets but an audience. But that's a story, maybe a novel, for another time. What this post is about is...

While remembering the early days, I decided to Google some of the names from this aspect of the Columbus-Phenix City music-art-poetry scene, some names remain current here, in fact draw the connection between the poetry scene with the music scene stronger than previously considered or stated, Jon Saunders, his brother Frank Saunders, Jack Snipe, Heath Williamson, Henry Conley, Rebbeca Wright-Harris, Brian Fowler and others I will remember later, founders of the "Columbus music scene" were also involved with the poetry scene. Others, such as Sean Bernard, Sandra Pollock, Donnie Strickland, Lisa Scarborough, Karen Keller, Nita Gale, Eric duckworth, Brad Smith are no longer seen on Broadway, The Loft, or anywhere else around town... so I did a quick Google and this is the first entry I've found, so far, so it is a start, my earlier search for Military poet Don Strickland:

http://alt.poetry.narkive.com/ZrQKwJ8K/the-po...

I knew Donnie Strickland way back in the 1990s, and was pleased to
happen across some of his poetry just by chance...

PRISM: IN THE EVERYWHERE COLORS

Both-sides of the coin are now revealed without either being
embraced, with neither Skye or Lani winning.
I wonder if this curiosity of mine is a vague allegorical attempt
of mine to describe the daily battles I go through not to show
favoritism, nepotism, to one daughter above the other step-daughter?

Some Apollonisian and Dionysian mirror whose surface
I rotate until I can justify the countless choices that
I am forced to make on a never-ending basis?

Knowing what I know doesn't keep me sane,
I just suffice to rip-out my own heart, cut it into pieces,
and give a portion to Skye and Lani, telling them to share.

Nothing is ever easy.

-Donnie Strickland

"...Donnie Strickland is currently a "soldier of misfortune" as a
corporal in the US Army who periodically holds readings at "The Loft"
near Columbus, Georgia. Check out more of his and others' writings &
ravings at Donnie's Colostomy Grab Bag web site and at Scars
Publications."

I hope Donnie's doing well, as I attempt to find him again.

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery Project:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...

“Pair of Socks”

Since: Dec 06

.Beats an Ace High

#2 Dec 21, 2012
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#3 Dec 21, 2012
Show Me wrote:
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white
Happy Holidays, Show Me... long time no see!

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#5 Jan 17, 2013
Starmount wrote:
Tell us about the TG&Y store in the STARMOUNT SHOPPING CENTER. Way back in the early 1970's.
I remember Starmount Shopping Center had the Zodiac Lounge, which hosted some great music back in those days.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#7 Jan 18, 2013
What poet wrote:
There is not a single poet in the Columbus Georgia Area. A poet is like Robert Frost with SIMON AND SCHUSTER published books in every library. Home made stuff don't count. Lemonade Stands are not STARBUCKS. The major publishers decide what is a poet or writer. The internet is like a bathroom wall. Any nut can put their TRASH on it. Also BLUE FLANNEL was looked at by real labels and they passed. Same with PYLON. However REM was defined as A REAL BAND by a REAL LABEL so now they are a REAL BAND. It must be understood that BARNEY FIFE can't sing. HOWARD SPRAGUE can't write. Mayberry is Mayberry. Not NYC. In NYC the real writers and singers live because they are like WOODY ALLEN and are famous writers and creators because they have the YES from REAL PUBLISHING COMPANIES which SAYED they was REAL. All you locals are not talented. No. You are not talented. You are just like children playing dress up in costumes. I wanna be a famous poet. I wanna be a famous singer like Elvis. Then when they get a guitar they THINK they are stars. Quit looking at the stars in the sky. Look at the ash tray. See the smoldering cigarette butt embers going out. That is you. You local wannabe fantasy land nothings. You have no talent. You have nothing to offer. You have no scene. All locals are but uh bunch of Dooninnys. The Columbus Georgia and surrounding area is a vast empitiness of talent. There is no one of any consequence. The only reason they were taught to read and write by the public schools is so they can know what box to load or carry. So they can run the machinery of daily society. They have no other purpose but to wash out the milk bottles and wave the flags around pot holes. The fact is. There is no poets, not a one ever to have lived in this area. Real poets are like Rod McKeun and they live in NYC because they are real and famous like BETTE MIDLER. Not like Goober and Peanut Sack in a costume walking around outside the Bradley Center. No poets here people. Not one in the whole Valley Area or in Georgia. Maya Angelou but she moved away.
True, by your criteria, the closest we come so far to that level of success in Columbus, Georgia is Carson McCullers and Ma Rainey.

And in politics, Newt Gingritch and Phil Gramm.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#9 Jan 18, 2013
Gun Show Tables wrote:
Are there going to be any GUN SHOW TABLES and related sales at Doonanny this year? What about HOGBOTTOM. Are they gonna shoot and barbecue any wild hogs this year? Or is all the Hog Meat gonna be store bought?
No, Doo-Nanny and Hogbottom are art and music festivals.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#11 Jan 18, 2013
Proud Of Bill wrote:
We are so proud of him and his efforts to spread the local music scene. I heard that CD with the sulzbach cover and it was great. Keep up the good work. The music is so goood. Our local music scene All Stars are FABULOUS!
Thanks, my anonymous friend!

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#12 Jan 19, 2013
What poet wrote:
There is not a single poet in the Columbus Georgia Area. A poet is like Robert Frost with SIMON AND SCHUSTER published books in every library.
Sure there is.

For example, how about word respected and best selling poet Carson McCullers, my semi-literate, anonymous little friend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_McCullers

Carson McCullers (February 19, 1917 September 29, 1967) was an American writer. She wrote novels, short stories, and two plays, as well as essays and some poetry. Her first novel The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the U.S. South. Her other novels have similar themes and are all set in the South.

Criticism
"Mrs. McCullers and perhaps Mr. Faulkner are the only writers since the death of D. H. Lawrence with an original poetic sensibility. I prefer Mrs. McCullers to Mr. Faulkner because she writes more clearly; I prefer her to D. H. Lawrence because she has no message." Graham Greene "[Her work is] one of the few satisfying achievements of our second-rate culture."[6] Gore Vidal "Moving, yes, but a minor author. And broken by illness at such a young age." Arthur Miller "Carson's major theme; the huge importance and nearly insoluble problems of human love." Tennessee Williams.

Although McCullers's oeuvre is often described as "Southern Gothic," she produced her famous works after leaving the South. Her eccentric characters suffer from loneliness that is interpreted with deep empathy. In a discussion with the Irish critic and writer Terence de Vere White she said: "Writing, for me, is a search for God." Other critics have variously detected tragicomic or political elements in her writing.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#14 Jan 19, 2013
Once Again wrote:
This morning I posted a great response to your Carson McCullars post. I typed the code numbers and sent the post and it totally disappeared. Good Joke. Another form of Shadow Banning. So I won't be wasting my time further posting on here. However I'll make sure I tell everyone every opportunity I get how extreme left anti free speech this forum is. Ya'll can have it you daisy chain bunch of progressive commie red anti free speech schmucks. You all are a bunch of commie reds.
No, posts get lost on Topix.com sometimes, it happens to me, and everyone. I always make a copy of my post before hitting send for this reason.

What gets deleted are posts that are against the Topix.com Terms Of Service... if you violate those with language , or with libel and slander, then Topix.com will for good reason 86 your post:

"...Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback."

HIT & HAND.

--
Shark Pact Manifesto / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.last.fm/music/Will+Dockery/Will+Do...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#16 Jan 19, 2013
It was wrote:
It was edgy but nothing like that Robert's guy has been posting lately. No. I was deleted because my comments were so pristine in their smash against the current system they could not be tolerated. The problem the system fails to understand is NOTHING lasts forever and the pendulum always swings the other way. That's when the FUN begins. I'm through with posting on this rag. No more. Ever.
Didn't you write this sad farewell already about six months ago?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#17 Jan 20, 2013
What poet wrote:
All locals are but uh bunch of Dooninnys. The Columbus Georgia and surrounding area
Too each his own... and hope you find yours some day... heh.

--

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 21 min Cbutt 55,328
How hot will Columbus be after 100 more years o... 28 min CodSack 5
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 20 hr The WB 2,055
Historic riverfront mansion gutted by fire Sep 12 Stanley 1
The Truth About Benghazi- On The Ground Sep 8 dadgum 2
Columbus Culture of Corruption Sep 7 Unknown 3
SOA Watch may protest on Fort Benning Road unde... Sep 6 DogGone 3
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••