Hot Walker Band reunion

Posted in the Columbus Forum

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#1 Feb 21, 2012
Bassist for Hot Walker Band, John Phillips, writes:

https://www.facebook.com/ #!/events/176245395812578/

"...Hey, if you're in the Chattahoochee Valley area, and you're free, you should totally come to HOT WALKER BAND REUNION at THE LOFT on Wednesday, or HOT WALKER BAND REUNION at SOHO BAR on Thursday.

If today's rehearsal is any indication, it's going to be AWESOME. I'm amazed and honored to be allowed on stage with these folks. Some seriously kickass players are in town for this show. You don't want to miss it." -John Phillips
HOT BASSIST

Columbus, GA

#2 Feb 22, 2012
All of the HOMOSEXUAL GAY MARRIAGE SUPPORTER COMMUNITY shall be OUT in droves at both shows. It'll look like a CHER concert! We The Flaming Gays Of Homosexual Uptown Columbus Georgia just love the sweaty menz of HOT WALKER. All the GAY SENIORS shall be there too. A "HOT WALKER" after hip surgery makes a great SETCH SUPPORT to lean on while PRANCE-GRIND DANCING. Bring your WALKER seniors and get a free drink. Two shows. One at THE HOLY LANCE night club on Broadway, and the other the following night two shows at the HERNIATED TRUSS LOUNGE LOGGIA. BE THERE! Bring your Medicare paper work to show WALKER ownership as no true "HOT" WALKERS allowed. Also NO CANES. Just WALKERS. Too many people get rushed to the emergency room with CANED COLONS so those are now not allowed at shows. Anyway, like the famous POOTIE TANG said, SAH DAH TAY!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#3 Feb 22, 2012
HOT BASSIST wrote:
All of the HOMOSEXUAL GAY MARRIAGE SUPPORTER COMMUNITY shall be OUT in droves at both shows. It'll look like a CHER concert! We The Flaming Gays Of Homosexual Uptown Columbus Georgia just love the sweaty menz of HOT WALKER.
Well, everyone is welcome at The Loft (tonight) & SoHo (tomorrow), as Hot Walker Band makes music everyone can love.

Worth mentioning is that the original Hot Walker members will be joined by singer Sandy Madaris on vocals:

The FIDDLER'S BLUES BAND
is proud to present:

The HOT WALKER BAND REUNION TOUR 2012

Featuring:

STAN EDWARDS, from Cusseta, Georgia, on fiddle and guitar
LES STRADER, from Dahlonega, Georgia, on pedal steel and guitar
ARLIN STRADER, from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on drums
RALPH SEYMOUR, from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, on sax, clarinet and bass
BRUCE GOODMAN, from Cusseta, Georgia, on guitar
MARSHA SHORT, from Cusseta, Georgia, on mandolin
JOHN PHILLIPS, from Warner Robins, Georgia, on bass

Playing a cavalcade of hits from the years of the HOT WALKER BAND, plus favorites from yesterday and today.

with Special Guests:
Sandy Madaris, on vocals
Chris Collins, on guitar and vocals

Old friends come back together for a very special set of shows in Columbus, Georgia.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22 at THE LOFT.

DON'T MISS IT!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#4 Feb 22, 2012
More on Hot Walker Band, 1980 award-winners:

http://books.google.com/books...

"The Hot Walker Band was an original outfit operating out of Miami in the late 1970s until 1981. They won a Hemingway Music Award (given by record companies at the Southeast Music Expo) for Country Music in 1980 (interestingly, the Latin Music award that year went to Miami Sound Machine)..." That must be what the Billboard Magazine article I found is about, although the print is too fine for me to make out: "Billboard - Oct 11, 1980 - Google Books Result
books.google.com/​books... ;. 92, No. 41 - 112 pages - Magazine
The Latin award was won by the Miami Sound Machine, the Herhie (Cae Quintet placed first in lazz. the Hot Walker Band featuring Bambi and Stanley won the country award and City Hall won the r&b division. Roddy Shashoua received..."
AVAILABLE

Columbus, GA

#5 Feb 22, 2012
Is the concert going to be sold in advance on audio CD. Can people pay for a copy of the show at the door. I hope so.
TROLL BAD

Columbus, GA

#6 Feb 22, 2012
Troll Bad Is Bad.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#7 Feb 22, 2012
AVAILABLE wrote:
Is the concert going to be sold in advance on audio CD. Can people pay for a copy of the show at the door. I hope so.
The show at SoHo Bar and Grill over on Milgen Road tomorrow night will be filmed for broadcast on Phenix City Cable (Channel 7) and also will be released on YouTube via EACTV's channel there.

Meanwhile, the show has started at The Loft... free wifi out here on the balcony overlooking a beautiful night on Broadway, as well... come on down, don't miss the historic reunion of the Hot Walker Band!

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Cricket

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Feb 23, 2012
Will Dockery wrote:
Bassist for Hot Walker Band, John Phillips, writes:
https://www.facebook.com/ #!/events/176245395812578/
"...Hey, if you're in the Chattahoochee Valley area, and you're free, you should totally come to HOT WALKER BAND REUNION at THE LOFT on Wednesday, or HOT WALKER BAND REUNION at SOHO BAR on Thursday.
If today's rehearsal is any indication, it's going to be AWESOME. I'm amazed and honored to be allowed on stage with these folks. Some seriously kickass players are in town for this show. You don't want to miss it." -John Phillips
came across this today....do you have other dates scheduled?
THANKS!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#9 Feb 24, 2012
Cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
THANKS!
Hello Cricket!

I see you're in Lake Worth Florida, which was Hot Walker Band's old stomping grounds back in the 1980s... do you remember the band from that era? If so I know they and many others would love to read about your thoughs on and memories of the Hot Walker Band's heyday.

As for when the HWB will be playing again, I asked Stan Edwards after the show and he said besides a private party he hasn't booked any more gigs... seems that a run through South Florida would be appropriate, though.

Until then, the entire show last night was filmed for broadcast on Phenix City Cable and will be serialized on YouTube also, so Hot Walker fans new and old can get a gander at the show.

As CTVEA (Phenix City Cable) program director Rusty Wood put it:

"Great Hot Walker Band show last night @ Soho Bar! Stan, Marsha, Les, Arlen, Bruce, Ralph, John, and Sandy did a wonderful job! Great turn out too! Look for the show to air on EATV 7 very soon!

I will keep you and other Florida fans of Hot Walker band posted on when these video clips are released to the internet, Cricket.

--
In A Dream I Saved You / Will Dockery & T.O.T.M.
http://youtu.be/ZGUZmzvqRP4
Cricket

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the response. I'm certain concerts were a success.
I had the pleasure of singing with them for a time ...many moons ago...still a few fond memories.
My brother happened to be in your area on business and saw the post and called me.
Hopefully he was able to catch a show before having to head back.
Columbus isn't so very far from Vero Beach...if another concert is planned give us a heads up.
God bless....

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#11 Feb 25, 2012
Cricket wrote:
Thanks for the response. I'm certain concerts were a success.
I had the pleasure of singing with them for a time ...many moons ago...still a few fond memories.
My brother happened to be in your area on business and saw the post and called me.
Hopefully he was able to catch a show before having to head back.
Columbus isn't so very far from Vero Beach...if another concert is planned give us a heads up.
God bless....
Hello Cricket... would Stan and the Hot Walker Band know you by the name Cricket? I'd like to pass word to them, perhaps they'd like you to sing with them again when they make it down to the Lake Worth area?

Here's the latest I've seen online on Hot Walker Band's next plans:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artemis-Record...

"...The Hot Walker Band, with the Fiddler's Blue's Band, played an awesome show last night at SoHo's Bar in Columbus, Ga. Thanks to the local cable company <CTVEA>< EATV>and station producer <Rusty Wood> who filmed it and will be airing it and sharing it with us. Truly one of the best performances I have seen! As soon as it is ready, get ready for a musical delight!"

Hot Walker Band lives up to their name... Hot country-jazz!
Cricket

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Feb 25, 2012
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Cricket... would Stan and the Hot Walker Band know you by the name Cricket? I'd like to pass word to them, perhaps they'd like you to sing with them again when they make it down to the Lake Worth area?
Here's the latest I've seen online on Hot Walker Band's next plans:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artemis-Record...
"...The Hot Walker Band, with the Fiddler's Blue's Band, played an awesome show last night at SoHo's Bar in Columbus, Ga. Thanks to the local cable company <CTVEA>< EATV>and station producer <Rusty Wood> who filmed it and will be airing it and sharing it with us. Truly one of the best performances I have seen! As soon as it is ready, get ready for a musical delight!"
Hot Walker Band lives up to their name... Hot country-jazz!
Hey there...nah, Cricket is a nickname. My given name is Barbara. I sang with HW at the Lion's Share along with another gal. I also dated Les for a time. Feel free to pass along my regards and best wishes. I remember them all fondly and hope they do the same.(I remember all the words to Big Steel Rail too... Great song ;-)
thanks for the response

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#13 Feb 25, 2012
Cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there...nah, Cricket is a nickname. My given name is Barbara. I sang with HW at the Lion's Share along with another gal. I also dated Les for a time. Feel free to pass along my regards and best wishes. I remember them all fondly and hope they do the same.(I remember all the words to Big Steel Rail too... Great song ;-)
thanks for the response
I sure will, Barbara! Wish we had some recordings from that time period... and I see Les pretty often so I'll pass your regards on to him.

"Big Steel Rail" for sure, "Peace Of Mind"... Hot Walker does have some classics.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#14 Feb 25, 2012
Cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
THANKS!
Hello again, Cricket... I just came across a newspaper article on another comrade of the Hot Walker Band in their Florida heyday, Roger Martin, and his inspiring story. Do you by chance remember him, as well?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-06-29/n...

==========Begin quoted text]=========

CONCERTS

-- What: Roger Martin and the Hot Walker Band will be in concert. Donations go to help build the Healing Wall Project, Inc.

-- When: From 2 to 7 p.m. July 4 at the Black Rose Saloon, 665 SW 27th Ave., Fort Lauderdale

Even after all these years, the war still lingers for Vietnam veteran Roger Martin.

There`s the 12-year heroin addiction he struggles to control. A few years ago, it cost him a family and a budding country/western singing career.

There`s the occasional pains that remind him of the bullets that tore through his leg in Da Nang. In 1968, he was released from the Marine`s 27th infantry with a Purple Heart.

After coming home to Ohio, he joined rallies protesting U.S. involvement in the war.``I wasn`t a hippie,`` he said.``But when you can`t vote and you`ve just gotten back from a war, you know something is wrong.``

Now, he`s trying to piece his musical career back together and raise funds to build a Healing Wall in West Lake Park in Hollywood.

The idea, he says, is to help ease the pain of Vietnam veterans across South Florida.

``I put a lot of buddies in body bags,`` say Martin, 40, a member of the Healing Wall Project Inc., a nonprofit group made up of Vietnam veterans whose goal is to build a replica of the Healing Wall in Washington, D.C.

About 200,000 Vietnam veterans live in Broward County alone, said Gary Turner, Healing Wall Project president.

The group hopes to raise enough funds to build a black satin granite wall, a half-size copy of the one in Washington, D.C. The wall would list the names of Vietnam vets who died in action and are listed as missing in action.

So far, more than $20,000 has been raised for the cause. Turner estimates the group needs about $500,000. A tentative ground-breaking has been scheduled for July 4, 1991.

To raise funds, Martin of Fort Lauderdale will perform July 4, with the Hot Walker Band at two benefit performances. Those attending will be asked to give donations that will go toward costs of the wall.

Martin, who released his first and only country western album in 1987, Almost Gone produced by Premier One in Nashville, says he`s trying to make a comeback after kicking his heroin addiction three months ago. During the early 1980s, he says he performed as a warm-up act for Merle Haggard, Jerry Lee Lewis and the country rock band, Alabama.

Now, he plays country western tunes and `60s anti-war songs five nights a week at the Straw Hat in Fort Lauderdale and the Davie Junction in Davie.

He begins his nightly gig by introducing himself to the audience as a Vietnam vet. Then he lapses right into songs popular during the anti-war era.

On Memorial Day, he was scheduled to perform at a Vietnam veterans service at West Lake Park in Hollywood. Heavy rains called off the event, but some vets still showed up.

``I started singing and all the vets started singing and crying,`` he said.

That`s when he decided to help drum up donations with his music. Last year he helped raise $17,000 to build a veterans center with a show he put on in Cleveland, Ohio.

In the future, Martin hopes to put on other musical benefits to raise money for the Healing Wall.

``When I go to the Healing Wall,(in Washington, D.C.) I cry,`` Martin said.``It reminds me I`m alive. This is for people who can`t go that far.``

==========End quoted text]=========

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#15 Mar 22, 2012
Hot Walker Band members performing at Del Ranch open mic talent show tonight... click link below for the live internet broadcast!

--
Live music internet broadcast from Del Ranch!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/open-mike-colum...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#16 Dec 29, 2012
AVAILABLE wrote:
The show is available on YouTube:

Yes, love Stan and Marsha as both musicians and performers, and Stan's a veteran of almost any Southern Rock band I can think of.

He was also a founding member of the Hot Walker Band, which floated around the Capricorn Records scene during the 1970s-80s, not sure if you caught the reunion shows last year at The Loft and SoHo, which were also filmed by Rusty Wood and broadcast on EATV-7.

Here's a clip from the Hot Walker show, featuring Stan Edwards and Marsha Short:

http://youtu.be/vuJu8lzvdd8

Published on Mar 13, 2012
The Hot Walker Band reunion plays at Soho Bar and Grill in Columbus, GA Feb 23, 2012. Produced by EATV 7.

"Hot Walker Band live up to their name... this is&#65279; some *hot* country-jazz walking!"
Heather Prunty

Toledo, OH

#17 Oct 16, 2013
I wish I knew about this. It's not the same without JJ but I miss all the guys. I remember cleaning the stage at Club Canton for you. Me and my mom Debbie would have been there to support all our favorite guys

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#18 Oct 16, 2013
Heather Prunty wrote:
I wish I knew about this. It's not the same without JJ but I miss all the guys. I remember cleaning the stage at Club Canton for you. Me and my mom Debbie would have been there to support all our favorite guys
Hello Heather, I spoke with Stan Edwards, founding member and guitarist for the Hot Walker Band yesterday, and he was telling me the big news that he's appearing in the musical:

Rave On!
Date: Friday, October 18, 2013
Time: 7:30pm

This exuberant new jukebox musical features America's favorite Buddy Holly, Billy McGuigan. Considered the greatest force in early rock and roll, Holly combined rhythm and blues with country swing and created a fresh sound that ushered in the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elton John, and countless others. Features hits like "Peggy Sue", "That'll Be the Day", "Oh Boy", and of course, "Rave On"!

Stan Edwards is proud to be portraying and performing as one of The Crickets!

And so it goes.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#19 Oct 19, 2013
Heather Prunty wrote:
By the way, Heather, I'll most likely see Stan and Marsha when they make their usual apprearance at Del Ranch in Smith's Station Alabama tomorrow night, I'll pass your words along to them then, and maybe Marsha will come this way and say hello... Stand doesn't "do" internet.

And so it goes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Announcement 22 hr Will Dockery 21
More 22 hr Will Dockery 8
'JoJo Benson' found dead at Motel 6 on Victory Dr. 22 hr Will Dockery 1
JJ Benson RIP 23 hr Will Dockery 2
Merry Christmas 23 hr Will Dockery 2
Armoni Records of Columbus, GA Announces Signin... Wed Will Dockery 18
Realtree Camo Vanish Spa Wed Columbus Insider 1
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web