of 2
Next Last

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#1 Aug 15, 2011
The Leroy Legend from:

http://www.facebook.com/ #!/groups/145829948831673/

"...Back in the early days of TV (1956) in Columbus Channel 3 was actually Channel 4 and was a joint venture between The Woodruff Broadcasting Co.(AKA Columbus Broadcasting Co.) and the Ledger - Enquirer Newspapers. TV was new to the area and most of the programming was of a real home town nature. Everything was aired live, there was no video tape back then.

Bob Brandy was an announcer at TV 4 and in the afternoons he had a kid’s show called Bob Brandy’s Star 4 Corral. The program format consisted of a “peanut gallery” of kids, Bob dressed up in cowboy regalia and cartoons and western serials were shown. At the end of show Bob always gave a brief moral lesson to the kids about right and wrong and would play his guitar. The program was sponsored by Wells Dairies and Colonial Bakery. The show was an hour long and half way during the show Bob would pass out Wells ice cream and Colonial cupcakes to the kids in the “peanut gallery” Keep in mind that Columbus was very segregated at the time and on Wednesdays the “peanut gallery” consisted of only black children. That was just the way it was back in 1956. Bob’s show was replaced by the Col. Chick/Popeye Show when Bob moved on to Chattanooga, TN where he became a local TV hero as Cowboy Bob. He passed away in 2006.

This incident is always, in error, attributed to the Col. Chick/Popeye Show , but that’s not the case…I was there…I saw it and I heard it…on my family’s first TV set.

Here’s what happened..." -Vic Burns

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#2 Aug 15, 2011
The rest of the story, by Vic Burns:

"Okay, here’s what happened...

It was on a Wednesday, half way through the show. Cowboy Bob was talking to the kids in the “peanut gallery” when he asked them,“Who wants ice cream and cupcakes?” This was followed by a chorus of “We do Cowboy Bob” from the kids.

Bob then got up and went into his pitch for Wells Dairies and Colonial Cup Cakes but was interrupted several times by giggling and laughter from the children in the “peanut galley”. He admonished them several times to be quiet but the giggling and laughter continued.

Obviously frustrated, Bob said,“OK, if you don’t stop you won’t get any ice cream and cup cakes.” He then took his hand microphone and went over the “peanut gallery” where he set down beside a little black girl and asked,“What is so funny?(Keep in mind that this is all going out on the air live.)

Amid giggles, laughter and smiles the little girl replied,“ I can’t tell you Cowboy Bob.”
“Awwww”, Bob replied,“ You can tell Cowboy Bob anything, can’t you?”
“No”, said the little girl,“I can’t tell you,”
“Well”, Bob said,“If you don’t tell me I may not give you any ice cream and cup cakes.”
“OK I’ll tell you Cowboy Bob”, the child replied,…“LEROY FARTED”!!!!

The whole studio including Bob broke up in laughter and hilarity and they, after about a minute, finally were able to cut to cartoons … And that’s the story of the first TV blooper in Columbus and how “Leroy” became a legend in Columbus, GA. Anyone who was a kid in Columbus in 1956 will remember this." -Vic Burns
Majboyd

Houston, TX

#3 Nov 23, 2012
The name of the show was the Circle four Club. It was Cowboy John and his sidekick Black Bart. They were a group of small black kids in the set that day. The giggling started and Cowboy John asked a little girl,'What are you laughing about"? She said, "I'm not going to tell you". So he said, "If you don't tell me I'm going to shoot your toe off". She said, "Alright....Leroy Farted".. Cowboy John tried to cover it up and went down the alise away from the girl to this kid down on the end. Cowboy John, trying to get control of his set said to the kid, "What's your name son"? He smiled and looked up and said, "Leroy".

That night on Huntely and Brinkley who were the NBC news Anchors said their usual sign off's and said, "Goodnight Chet, Goodnight David, and Goodnight Leroy where ever you are. And that is how it happened.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#4 Nov 24, 2012
Majboyd wrote:
The name of the show was the Circle four Club. It was Cowboy John and his sidekick Black Bart. They were a group of small black kids in the set that day. The giggling started and Cowboy John asked a little girl,'What are you laughing about"? She said, "I'm not going to tell you". So he said, "If you don't tell me I'm going to shoot your toe off". She said, "Alright....Leroy Farted".. Cowboy John tried to cover it up and went down the alise away from the girl to this kid down on the end. Cowboy John, trying to get control of his set said to the kid, "What's your name son"? He smiled and looked up and said, "Leroy".
That night on Huntely and Brinkley who were the NBC news Anchors said their usual sign off's and said, "Goodnight Chet, Goodnight David, and Goodnight Leroy where ever you are. And that is how it happened.
Thanks for adding yet another version of this long lived urban legend!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#5 Nov 24, 2012
The urban legend of Leroy... will we ever really know where and on what television show "Leroy F***ed"?

So many, including my cousin Freddie, swear they heard and saw it right here in Columbus GA... yet hundreds of other people claim it was in THEIR town on their television. Mass halluncination?

I reckon we'll never know for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leroy-Farted-T...

As told by my father: A live broadcast of a children's program was on television. Suddenly, the children started laughing. The host asks an African-American child in the peanut gallery, "What are you kids all laughing about?" The child giggles, "Leroy Farted!" Trying to not lose his composure by the comment, the host quickly po
ints the microphone towards another child and asks, "And what's your name little boy?" With a huge grin on his face, the child boasts, "I is Leroy!" Everyone erupted in laughter and the host lost it! Later that evening on the national broadcast news, the anchorman signs off by saying, "...and goodnight Leroy, where ever you are!"
Jean

United States

#6 Nov 24, 2012
I remember it as, "Leroy, he farted."

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#8 Nov 24, 2012
Jean wrote:
Okay, just here in Columbus alone we have Leroy appearing on Cowboy Bob, Col. Chick, and Captain O'Hap. And then several hundred other kids shows all across the country, if not the world!

Captain O'Hap: "...I remember seeing that live but when I re-read that, the year didn't really match up as to when I moved back to Cols. So I did some digging around and even checked it out on "Snopes". I couldn't believe how many towns claim that and the different versions. Also, are you sure it wasn't The Cap O'Hap Show? Don't know if that was a local one though. Anyone else know for sure?"

Col. Chick: "...It was on the Colonel Chick show. a local kids show on WTVM. Alex Bush was Col Chick. He was talking to the kids in the studio and asked a little boy why he was laughing his reply was Leroy far__ed Its just something hard to forget.My brother_in _law was a camera man for the local shows andmy nieces and I were watching it the Sat it happened. He was still laughing that night about Leroy."

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#9 Apr 18, 2013
Majboyd wrote:
Eddie Murphy should play the adult Leroy and his trials and tribulations... This is a natural for today's offbeat humor style.

The movie would need just the right child actor to get it, not sure of any around right now who could pull off the drama. Leory tries so hard to hold it in, but his grandmama fed him a giant bowl of pintos with cornbread the night before. The horror, and he lets out a silent-but-deadly and thinks he's in the clear. Then.. oh, oh, That Smell...
Cheryl

Beaumont, TX

#10 Oct 7, 2013
I remember it well. Cowboy John tried his best to keep his composure but live tv and a very funny situation - what can you do? It must have been around 1962? Innocent times for sure!!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#11 Oct 7, 2013
Cheryl wrote:
I remember it well. Cowboy John tried his best to keep his composure but live tv and a very funny situation - what can you do? It must have been around 1962? Innocent times for sure!!
Truly one of our greatest American reality based urban myths.
Dwight

Lake Charles, LA

#12 Oct 8, 2013
Majboyd wrote:
Here is webpage of interview with Cowboy John and he tells of the incicent. http://panews.com/local/x681418552/Garner-and...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#13 Oct 8, 2013
Dwight wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is webpage of interview with Cowboy John and he tells of the incicent. http://panews.com/local/x681418552/Garner-and...
Thanks for posting the link, Dwight!
leroi neumans

Winston, GA

#14 Oct 28, 2013
tell us more fart sto-rees from your days in the music scene. this is all so interesling.
Shadowville All-Stars

United States

#15 Oct 28, 2013
leroi neumans wrote:
tell us more fart sto-rees from your days in the music scene. this is all so interesling.
No, these are stories from the Golden Age of Television, local entries.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#16 Oct 28, 2013
Jean wrote:
That's the basic center of the legend.
oringiner talent

Winston, GA

#17 Oct 29, 2013
you should of said that when you broke the chair.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#18 Oct 29, 2013
oringiner talent wrote:
you should of said that when you broke the chair.
Some words one still can't say on television.
then say

Midland, GA

#19 Oct 29, 2013
then say leroy whoopie cushioned.
tell the readers

Midland, GA

#20 Oct 29, 2013
tell the readers updates on pat hodskins and tosh whaley. are they gonna perform at pasaquan.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#21 Oct 29, 2013
tell the readers wrote:
tell the readers updates on pat hodskins and tosh whaley. are they gonna perform at pasaquan.
I'm not familiar with these folks, although I hear Seaborn Jones will be there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More than 600 people left Richmond County in 2013 (Mar '14) 15 hr Big Time 5
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) 22 hr Will Dockery 954
Fatal car accident in Smiths Station (Aug '15) 22 hr Will Dockery 3
Is Columbus a good place to live? (Sep '08) Sep 23 Dell Gamble 3,168
News The Wall Street Journal: America's newest commu... Sep 23 Roehrenbecksux 8
News RYDC corrections officer fired after allegedly ... Sep 23 Dell Gamble 1
News Jails have become costly psychiatric facilities Sep 23 Dell Gamble 1

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages