Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "y...

Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks

There are 23 comments on the www.cbsnews.com story from May 6, 2013, titled Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks. In it, www.cbsnews.com reports that:

The deputy of slain U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens has told congressional investigators that a team of Special Forces prepared to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi during the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks was forbidden from doing so by U.S. Special Operations Command South Africa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cbsnews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#1 May 6, 2013
They could have saved lives but told to stand down.

Where was our commander in chief during this, in Vegas.
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#2 May 6, 2013
Well now Jim, there was something that went wrong but not even close to an impreachable offence. I would'nt get my blood pressure up to high on this old topix.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#3 May 6, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
They could have saved lives but told to stand down.
So you didn't even read his testimony, eh? Not surprised, it's much easier for you to just make up bullshit lies.

From his testimony:
Attack began 10pm.
He speculates that if the attackers would have run away crying at the sight of fighter aircraft. That may be, but the nearest fighter aircraft were over 1000 miles away in Aviano. That's more than double their combat radius which means that refuel assets would have to be put in place to get fighters there and back. Even if they had those assets (which the didn't), it is not possible to get fighters there that night. He also testified that we did not have permission from the Libyans to enter their airspace. Speculating about the effect of things that could not have been delivered by anyone is completely pointless. Would've been nice if Scotty could have beamed them up, too.
The air assets they did have, Predator Drones, were on scene within an hour.
He also testified that the first responders arrived at 1:15 AM. Boots on the ground, assisting them from 500 miles away, in 3 hours. Name one other thing you can get delivered 500 miles in 3 hours.

The guys you are salivating over not being sent were going to be on a plane that departed Tripoli at 6-630 AM, and could not have been on scene until after the attack was over and evacuation had begun. They would have been able to save exactly ZERO lives.

Also, putting those guys on the plane and sending them to a battle that was already over would have left the embassy in Tripoli unguarded when embassies all over the region were being assaulted.

The facts don't support your fantasies. You'd know that if you bothered to actually read the links you post.

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 May 6, 2013
"Hicks told congressional investigators that if the U.S. had quickly sent a military aircraft over Benghazi, it might have saved American lives. The U.S. Souda Bay Naval Base is an hour's flight from Libya."

Define "over"
The annex continued to be attacked well into the morning culminating in a mortar attack at around 5:15 local time which killed 2 SEALs. Americans were outgunned and outmanned needlessly. But I guess according to your view those lives don't count.

You callously support an indecisive president whose lack of leadership resulted in the unnecessary deaths of Americans.

You, sir, are the one living in a fantasy land or more than likely, a liar.

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#5 May 6, 2013
columbus native wrote:
Well now Jim, there was something that went wrong but not even close to an impreachable offence. I would'nt get my blood pressure up to high on this old topix.
No, not an impeachment from what we know now, but most certainly a Congressional Censure would be right and just for Obama's lack of leadership.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#7 May 6, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
"Hicks told congressional investigators that if the U.S. had quickly sent a military aircraft over Benghazi, it might have saved American lives. The U.S. Souda Bay Naval Base is an hour's flight from Libya."
He also testified that the nearest aircraft were in Avino, not Souda Bay and that they didn't have permission to enter Libyan airspace. You can't send something that doesn't exist through airspace that you aren't allowed to enter.
Jim R Pickens wrote:
Define "over"
The annex continued to be attacked well into the morning culminating in a mortar attack at around 5:15 local time which killed 2 SEALs. Americans were outgunned and outmanned needlessly. But I guess according to your view those lives don't count.
No, dipshit. According to the laws of space and time, an airplane leaving Tripoli at 6:30 cannot arrive 500 miles away in time to save people that were killed at 5:15. Christ, you can't even tell time?
Jim R Pickens wrote:
You callously support an indecisive president whose lack of leadership resulted in the unnecessary deaths of Americans.
I support facts and reality. Your current fantasy requires time travel and matter transportation. Your previous fantasy required all of Africom to be parties to a dishonorable conspiracy?
Are you man enough to admit W sent 4400 Americans to die for nothing, since you're so concerned with poor leadership?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#8 May 6, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
You, sir, are the one living in a fantasy land or more than likely, a liar.
You have told us that there was a mutiny on General Hamm at Africom. A lie. You have also told us that the guys boarding a plane in Tripoli at 6:30 could have saved people who died 500 miles away at 5:15. A ridiculous lie.

What have I lied about? Hmm?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#9 May 6, 2013
David523 wrote:
BTW: The Libyan Embassy / including Benghazi would have had a designated Quick Reaction Force to address exactly this type situation.
They were there. Who do you think killed damn near 100 of the attackers and saved everyone?

A a 20 to 1 lopsided battle and y'all are falling over yourselves to paint it as anything but an ass-kicking to Al-Qaeda.

You're Monday Morning Quarterbacking so hard, trying to blame the President for not being able to see the future and magically move every asset we had to the ONE embassy out of FORTY that shit was going down at that day that was hit the hardest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_Inn...

Meanwhile, y'all suck Bush's balls when he CONSCIOUSLY AND PERSONALLY sent 4400 Americans to die for NOTHING.

241 Marines were murdered in Lebanon on Reagan's watch. He didn't do a God Damnd thing about it but run away like a bitch, yet y'all behave like he's the second coming of Christ.

You people talk a big game about failed leadership and how valuable the lives of American soldiers are. None of that means shit to you when the leader is your guy and it's a THOUSAND TIMES more coffins. You're pathetic.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#12 May 6, 2013
David523 wrote:
1. At least 6 hours into the Benghazi attack the two Ex-Seals were fighting (Approximately 10pm Benghazi time Plenty of time for ground support to fly in even by your calculations.)
Ground support DID fly in. They arrived at 1:15.
David523 wrote:
2. Flying into airspace without authority to save Americans is not unheard of and one well known is Grenada – actually, you’re VERY naïve if you don’t believe airspace violations occur all the time – how about bombing Lybia?
Bringing aircraft with a 300 mile combat radius to a fight over 1000 miles away without refuel assets IS unheard of. Not that it matters, as there weren't aircraft, but there was a different government in control when they bombed Libya. Do you think we can just fly into Germany because Hitler was there at one time?
David523 wrote:
3. One Major factor that the administration has not talked about is aircraft carriers in the area. Apparently daily recon flights were being conducted over Lybia that included Navy Assets from aircraft carrier(s).
Really? Provide your source for this. Google seems unaware.
David523 wrote:
As to a mutiny, we may never know however with the indications that Obama has been very selective to current Generals and Admirals on active duty, the rumors of “Mutiny” by a General and Admiral and finally the early retirement of General Carter Ham and investigation on Rear Adm. Charles M. Gaouette (inappropriate leadership judgment) seems to bring credibility to the charge.
Rumors and conspiracy theory don't bring credibility to anything. In order for this to be true, dozens of members of Africom would have to be so devoid of honor and integrity to be active participants in a massive, illegal coverup. Unlike Jim and yourself, I have more respect for our fighting men and women to accuse them of this.
David523 wrote:
BTW: You are constantly bringing up issues that occurred even before Obama became president and nothing will change those issues today, Good or Bad.
Nothing will change what happened in Benghazi either. Besides being a hypocrite, what's your point?
David523 wrote:
If you are actually concerned about issues then you need to address issues which an impact can be made. Obama’s Failures Are you just prepared to accept any and all failures by Obama?
There was hostile actions at Forty embassies. One of them was attacked with a force that was repelled by a factor of 20 to 1. All available resources were sent to the fight, withing 12 hours everyone had been evacuated. Tell me where the failure was.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#13 May 6, 2013
David523 wrote:
If you have followed this issue the people who responded in time to provide assistance to the people in Benghazi came from the CIA Annex
yeah, the Seals from the GRS responded quickly. So did the guys from Tripoli who were on scene in three hours. Who could've got there quicker?
David523 wrote:
BTW: You are constantly bringing up issues that occurred even before Obama became president and nothing will change those issues today, Good or Bad. I’ll not waste my time addressing issues no changes can be achieved.
I'm bringing up that you're a hypocrite. You'll not waste your time holding people accountable for far worse things (that they actually did) while trying to trump up charges on the President.
David523 wrote:
You may live in the past if you want but I’ll address issues of today in hopes of influencing tomorrow!
Those 4400 families don't live in the past. They live without their loved ones every day. Making up stories and spreading internet rumors doesn't influence tomorrow, it just makes you look follish.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#16 May 9, 2013
David523 wrote:
Strike Group was in flight distance to Benghazi – ie Strike Group under the command of Rear Adm. Charles M. Gaouette was in the Middle East Area
Gaouette was in command of the Stennis Carrier Group, which I watched depart Bremerton on August 27 and it was nowhere near Lybia until OCT 17. If fact, the Stennis Group is in the Fifth Fleet, which doesn't even cover Lybia, the Sixth fleet does. You're almost as clueless as SSGT who thinks Marines were there.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/10/28...
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/bremerton/Sa...

You are SO full of shit and it is SO easily refuted. Why is it you have yet to post even ONE link to anything credible and factual? I post plenty, It's easy to verify facts.

What's it like to be SUCH a CHUMP?
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#17 May 10, 2013
There's going to be some stuff hit the fan but not enough to hurt Obama. Still can't believe cheney has not been arrested yet but I guess God will deal with this mass-murderer! What a much more painful ordeal to deal with when bush/cheney were commiting so many crimes and republicans never said a thing. Now it's their turn to stress out and many are doing this and will continue till some breakdown over the next 3 and one half years.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#19 May 10, 2013
David523 wrote:
Maybe I’ll define “Area” as any location outside the Columbus Georgia City Limits! So my definition of Middle East Area would be almost anywhere in the world.
Christ, now you're pulling a Clintonesque "depends on what your definition of 'is' is". When the claim is that air assets were being used daily, the 'area' you refer to is most definitely not anywhere in the world, it is within range of Libya. You got caught in a lie and your attempt to backpedal is just pathetic.
David523 wrote:
Was what I wrote Vague? Absolutely
Did I do it intentionally? Absolutely
Because you know you're full of shit and can't back it up with actual facts? Absolutely.
David523 wrote:
Who is Full of it?
Who is SUCH a CHUMP?
You are. You got busted and we all know it. You made very specific claims that the president went to bed and that there was a carrier group conducting daily operations. You weren't being purposefully vague to prove a point. You were talking shit, got called out on it, and you're not man enough to admit it.

SO weak. You're done. You can't sink any lower.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#21 May 10, 2013
David523 wrote:
You might want to move back to my comment at # 6, as you stated I have provided no links, and read my link at that comment.
I've stated that you can't post a link to ACTUAL FACTS. That silly blog isn't fact, it's bullshit.
No air support available.
Pres did not go to bed.
Help WAS sent.
Spin like a top till the end of time. You're flinging bullshit and it's not sticking. Nine hearings and you're still wrong. You've lost. Deal with it.....or don't and continue to embarrass yourself.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#23 May 11, 2013
No air support available.
Pres did not go to bed.
Help WAS sent.
Spin like a top till the end of time. You're flinging bullshit and it's not sticking. Nine hearings and you're still wrong. You've lost. Deal with it.....or don't and continue to embarrass yourself.
Bill

Columbus, GA

#25 May 11, 2013
So I gather that the people needed help and Obama didn't send anyone then he up and lied about it.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#26 May 11, 2013
Bill wrote:
So I gather that the people needed help and Obama didn't send anyone then he up and lied about it.
If you gathered FACTS instead of internet conspiracy theory, you might have a better grip. They've spent NINE hearings trying to make your fantasy stick. They can't. Because it's bullshit.
Carrow

Columbus, GA

#27 May 12, 2013
So we should ignore all the FACTS that Obama lied about this. He put his reelection above our national security. Obama is a worthless POS
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#28 May 12, 2013
Ok there were mistakes but compared to the most vile putrid piece of human carcass (bush) this just seems blown way out of proportion, but republicans can try and knock themselves out even though they make up 33% of the voting population. Like me once a f republican but after 8 years of reagan's deceitful debt, not putting the FBI out on the savings and loan swindlers, trickle down con job which made a few wealthy I am appalled at that f party and will be there every election to see them defeatted.
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#29 May 12, 2013
Republicans with their less government and so-called conservative values should be the shinning example when it comes to national debt. But for the last 35 years untill Obama they outspent the democrats bigtime. THEY should have been examples because most know democrats as tax and spend. republicans are the borrow and spend party. Now more are giving up on both parties and are yerning for a third party that puts much higher priority on sound monetary ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) 37 min Sledge Hammer 5,221
Electric City Life Article 38 min Sledge Hammer 125
Word Association (May '15) 39 min Sledge Hammer 1,104
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) 39 min Maybe21 1,694
Review: Live Music in Columbus Georgia 40 min Sledge Hammer 1,267
News Belk, Bass Pro Shops, Costco possible good fits... 7 hr Will Dockery 6
News City of Columbus tearing down nightclub, paving... Apr 25 General Zod 21

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages