The Big Eddy Club: The Stocking Stranglings and Southern Justice

May 19, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Uprisingradio.org

GUEST: David Rose, is a contributing editor to Vanity Fair and has worked for the Guardian, The Observer, and the BBC. via Uprisingradio.org

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14

“T&C Services ”

Since: Mar 07

Cusseta Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

David Rose is a damn liar. He stated that the KKK were patrolling the streets of Columbus during the stocking strangler murders. "This Is A Damn Lie" I was in the Wynnton Area every damn day during this time and noone patrolled the streets in white capes, hoods or sheets.
He is just writing a fictional account of these murders to make a name for himself and to make himself richer.
THE TRUTH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2007

Judged:

PEOPLES WHO IS RICH ,PEOPLES WHO IS NOT, AND THE PEOPLES WHO HAVE A HARD TIME TRYING TO LIVE, WE ALL ARE GOING THOUGH HELL,AND HAVE YOU FOR GOT ABOUT THE U.S.A. TROOPS ARE STILL IN IRAQ AND PHARAOH WILL NOT LET THEM COME HOME.WE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE K.K.K. OR ANYTHING THAT WE WONT TO FOR GET ABOUT. LET ALL OR JEHOVAH CHILDERN,START PRAYING TO OUR FATHER JEHOVAH. TO MAKE PHARAOH LET,S OUR BROTHER AND SISTER THAT IS IN IRAQ TO COME HOME SO THEY CAN BE WITH THEY LOVE ONES AND JUST THANK ABOUT THIS HOW CAN WE HELP OTHER PEOPLE WHEN WE NEED ALL THE HELP HERE IN U.S.A. AS I READ MY BIBLE IT, TELL ME THAT WE IS IN THE LAST DAYS. AMAN

“T&C Services ”

Cusseta Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2007

THE TRUTH wrote:
PEOPLES WHO IS RICH ,PEOPLES WHO IS NOT, AND THE PEOPLES WHO HAVE A HARD TIME TRYING TO LIVE, WE ALL ARE GOING THOUGH HELL,AND HAVE YOU FOR GOT ABOUT THE U.S.A. TROOPS ARE STILL IN IRAQ AND PHARAOH WILL NOT LET THEM COME HOME.WE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE K.K.K. OR ANYTHING THAT WE WONT TO FOR GET ABOUT. LET ALL OR JEHOVAH CHILDERN,START PRAYING TO OUR FATHER JEHOVAH. TO MAKE PHARAOH LET,S OUR BROTHER AND SISTER THAT IS IN IRAQ TO COME HOME SO THEY CAN BE WITH THEY LOVE ONES AND JUST THANK ABOUT THIS HOW CAN WE HELP OTHER PEOPLE WHEN WE NEED ALL THE HELP HERE IN U.S.A. AS I READ MY BIBLE IT, TELL ME THAT WE IS IN THE LAST DAYS. AMAN
You should be commenting on the post subject. If you cannot post on the subject please dont reply to my postings.
Lee York

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2007

Mr Rose is not telling the truth. I was a police officer during this time. Mr Rose GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!

“T&C Services ”

Cusseta Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2007

Lee York wrote:
Mr Rose is not telling the truth. I was a police officer during this time. Mr Rose GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!
Yes I agree. He is just making up a story that he is going to make himself rich off of.
Deborah Owens

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2007

It is rumored that David rose will do a book on the Columbus Ga., Muscogee County Ga, assassinated School Superintendent, Jim Burns. Two school superintendents died in two years- one hung himself with a garden hose from a small tree =reportedly and the other was stabbed at 11:30 at night in his bed- next to his wife.

Burns had reportedly just gone to bed and the perp went into his historic home and walked past Burns' parents room --with light on- they were up- and went tup stairs and to his bed and stabbed him--in heart-

Burns made it down stairs to front door before he died. Perp was obviously trying to instill fear in school board?community- as murder could have occurred anywhere---but murderer went to his house while some in it were awake and killed him beside his wife...an experienced killer and a professional hit---all the night before Burns was to be fired by the school board.

Some of his facts about the stocking strangler are definitely not facts at all. I grew up in the area--he is not correct on most of what he says in the book. It is a shame because it could have been a decent book with factual acccountability.

Will Rose write about Burns?

“T&C Services ”

Cusseta Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2007

Deborah Owens wrote:
It is rumored that David rose will do a book on the Columbus Ga., Muscogee County Ga, assassinated School Superintendent, Jim Burns. Two school superintendents died in two years- one hung himself with a garden hose from a small tree =reportedly and the other was stabbed at 11:30 at night in his bed- next to his wife.
Burns had reportedly just gone to bed and the perp went into his historic home and walked past Burns' parents room --with light on- they were up- and went tup stairs and to his bed and stabbed him--in heart-
Burns made it down stairs to front door before he died. Perp was obviously trying to instill fear in school board?community- as murder could have occurred anywhere---but murderer went to his house while some in it were awake and killed him beside his wife...an experienced killer and a professional hit---all the night before Burns was to be fired by the school board.
Some of his facts about the stocking strangler are definitely not facts at all. I grew up in the area--he is not correct on most of what he says in the book. It is a shame because it could have been a decent book with factual acccountability.
Will Rose write about Burns?
Now this is interesting. This One has always puzzled me. However Don Kilgore told me that he beleived this was a suicide. He demonstrated to me in Kmart sporting goods department with a hunting knife that he said was the same type as weapon. He made a good demonstartion on how it could have been accomplished.

I guess Mr. Rose just made the other book sensational.
Ellen Horn

East Dublin, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2007

Columbus Georgia may be one of the most corrupt places around; I know, I've lived here since '62 off and on, mostly on. There may be a truth to the curse of the water. The more you drink the water of the Chattahoochee, the longer you are stuck here. I wish I could meet the author of this book; I could help him a lot. I've been to the nicest and the worst of all places here, including the old jail above the police department. The story behind that would be well told. One that is not told however, is the discrimination of poor white people here. At least, the Blacks had each other. Integration here is still a joke but, what a joke it was in the '80's. They would put one or two white kids in a class that was all Black and call it integration. The powers that be here, now fear Black people and will do anything to keep things looking pretty. The best way for them to do that is to do it on the backs of very poor White's. Most of the elected officials and the rich of Columbus don't even live here. They haven't lived in Columbus for a long time. They live up in Harris County and out in Midland. More than being prejudiced against Blacks, it has been prejudice against the poor. I believe Black people are pretty well pacified around here now. The Walker case got settled out with tax payer money. Poor White people are treated like dirt here; don't believe it, make a stop here. A very close friend of mine got out of the infamous Columbus Stockade. He's a very tolerant fellow, never complained but, when I asked him questions, I was shocked. I thought since the new jail came here things had changed a whole lot. Apparently not. In Columbus cruelty and the ones who are privilaged to use it for their own sadistic satisfaction is still very much in swing. However, I must say, as I did read a post about the klan being here during the stranglings, that is a lie. I do not believe Gary killed those women. I did meet someone whom I believe did. Also, a friend of mine was in jail with Gary. He said he knew he did not do it. Just by a fluke of circumstance, when I was in my younger 20's, I met a man who wanted to talk ...just talk. From the way I remember this man talking, I'm surpised he was at least not 'found' somewhere; but, around here....no. He claimed he had a twin brother. I told him I was a twin. We talked for hours. He had been a school teacher, I believe he was gay (no offense to gay folks please). He drank a lot but was very intelligent. I am fifty now, he would be at least ten years older than me now. He probably is dead. I don't even remember his name; just where he would go to relax or socialize. Oh Columbus, this place had to end up being a big piece of my life, as an old military brat, it still is. I did get out of here for a little while; as far away as Atlanta and spent about a year in Santa Monica; but as usual, end up right back here. I am still trying to leave, every time to be thwarted by circumstance. I can't afford the book but hope to read it when it comes out in the library (if they put it in there)
Bill Land

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

Having left Columbus in 1988 after 38 years there, I can say that is IS a one of a kind place. Some of you mentioned the "lip service" given to integration there. Well I can tell you first-hand that Baker High School accepted students of all races as we got the high school kids from Fort Benning regardless of race and did not have any trouble until it was FORCED! We had dances every Friday night and there were very few problems I graduated in 1970. The KKK? I last saw them active in Columbus was when I was about 10 (1960. They came into Linwood and tared and feathered a sorry WHITE man to wouldn't work to feed his family.
Is the consolidated government corrupt? Yep! Is the "good ole boy" system still intact? Yep! Does who you are and who you are kin to matter in Columbus? You can bet your bottom dollar.
Columbus will continue to be a sore spot in the south forever irregardless of which puppet or race is in charge. that goodness I had the good sense to leave 20 years ago. If my dad wasn't still there, that would be the last place I'd ever go.
A wise man once told me" If the Lord ever decided to give the world an enema, He'd stick the tube in Columbus, Ga."
Willis Boggs

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

As a non-native to Columbus, my experiences with those with Columbus roots have been overwhemingly postive during my +/- 30 visits in the past 30 years.

Regarding David Rose's book, I was offended by his arrogant view of Americans and our system of justice. Rose painted a picture of Columbus that offended me - even if many of his claims could be justified with elements of truth.

Did Columbus arrest and convict the right killer? DNA tests on Carlton Gary will soon reveal the truth. Regardless of the outcome of DNA testing, police in Columbus appeared to pursue every lead at every turn to resolve the killings.

My guess is that a rampaging killer from outside of Columbus with an ax to grind with his mother, made his way to Columbus to kill his "mother" over and over. when he finished his sadistic killings, he quickly exited Columbus.

This killer was probably captured in another city during his serial killing spree in Columbus, and he's either dead or serving a life term.

The truth is that DNA comparisons might give up this killer so that all people in Columbus can receive justice.
Truth B Told

Waverly Hall, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2010

Rose is just a book seller, the facts don't matter to him. Just get the DNA and send this demon back to hell where he belongs
Linnea

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2010

I agree with you , Trueth B Told.
He needs to be done with.
Gey him out of the news scene ASAP !!!!!!!!!
Ken

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Tom Rodgers wrote:
David Rose is a damn liar. He stated that the KKK were patrolling the streets of Columbus during the stocking strangler murders. "This Is A Damn Lie" I was in the Wynnton Area every damn day during this time and noone patrolled the streets in white capes, hoods or sheets.
He is just writing a fictional account of these murders to make a name for himself and to make himself richer.
In the late 70s and early 80s even today the KKK seldom wear white capes, hoods or sheets. For people of color or the Jewish faith there is always the problem of knowing whom we can trust. As the song goes smiling faces tell lies. Maybe you saw smiling faces that were genuine for you and lies for others.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
In the late 70s and early 80s even today the KKK seldom wear white capes, hoods or sheets. For people of color or the Jewish faith there is always the problem of knowing whom we can trust. As the song goes smiling faces tell lies. Maybe you saw smiling faces that were genuine for you and lies for others.
Well, one of my good friends & fellow musicians who lived on Wynnton Hill, as has his family since the founding of Columbus tells a different tale. I myself know that this town was grimmer and quieter than any other time I know of during that era.

--
Music & Poetry of Will Dockery:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••