First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“The undiscovered country... ”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#75 Feb 7, 2013
josh_green wrote:
Speaking of Marshall Ruffin... I think I've posted before that he's the new frontman for Flannel Church featuring Duane Trucks (brother of Derek, nephew of Butch) on drums. Check out this video...
Flannel Church w/ Susan Tedeschi covering the Bill Withers' classic "Grandma's Hands":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WwRvwN4zBxcXX
Interesting work, thanks Josh.

Columbus, GA

#76 Feb 7, 2013
josh_green wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. I can get behind this.
Well, The Conley Brothers will be playing at Grover's in Phenix City this weekend so I'll provably help them run some promotion of that, as I feel y'all are just a bit too harsh on old Henry.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Smith Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#77 Feb 11, 2013
Shame about $Doo-Nanny$ and $10.00 to get in, I don't think its worth it.

Columbus, GA

#78 Feb 11, 2013
Smith Station Panthers wrote:
Shame about $Doo-Nanny$ and $10.00 to get in, I don't think its worth it.
Heh... you mentioned that a couple of times.

If you can't afford the admission fee I reckon you might be better off staying at home, you think?

Columbus, GA

#79 Jul 24, 2013
Smith Station Panthers wrote:
I think by charging a admission it loses the folksy and bohemian nature that once defined this festival and has become a way for someone to make money instead of a gathering of free spirited former and wannabe hippies, over the hill hipsters and unkempt smelly characters.
Shame that money always wins out.
This was hilarious, Panther whining because Doo-Nanny charged a measely $10 for a weekend festival, where some places charge that just for a few hours entertainment.

Columbus, GA

#80 Jul 24, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>

Just like the Doo-Nanny article (Butch article) in the NYtimes Home & Garden section, NOT the Entertainment section.
A write up in the New York Times is good ANYWHERE in the paper, my clueless, anonymous friend.

Okay, here it is, I knew that the New York Times write up was posted somewhere here...

Here's the NYT article on Doo-Nanny, only ten dollars for three days of entertainment, a world class art and music event years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/garden/08do...

"...LIKE a medieval village, Butch Anthony’s 80-acre family compound is a self-contained universe, and every inch of it is an expression of his prodigious creative spirit. It makes a tempting destination for folk art aficionados, as well as the sort of art world tourists who’ve already ticked Marfa, Tex., or Joshua Tree, in the California desert, off their lists. Mr. Anthony, a lanky and laconic 46-year-old who dresses exclusively in Liberty denim overalls (he owns 25 pairs) and a battered straw hat (he has 10), is a self-taught artist, builder and local hero, whom the state of Alabama once chose to make a Christmas tree ornament for the White House — the Bush 43 version. He is also the host of the Doo Nanny..."

"...Like Burning Man, the extreme art fair held each summer in the Nevada desert, the Doo Nanny offers both a burning effigy and an exercise in creative camping. Mr. Anthony has thoughtfully provided a tepee, an outdoor kitchen, a solar-powered shower, outhouses and a wood-fueled hot tub, all built from and decorated with the sort of handmade trash-into-art pieces — ethereal chandeliers pieced together with cow bones and twigs gnawed by beavers — that are his specialty. It now attracts an intrepid crowd of makers and their fans who gather on the last weekend in March not only to show their work — and sell some, too, if they’re lucky — but to hang out with like-minded friends and partake of Mr. Anthony’s particular brand of Southern hospitality, which is certainly as homespun and country as his accent, but has an impish, renegade backbeat. It is also a chance to see Mr. Anthony on his own, very atmospheric, turf."
No, Doo-Nanny isn't for eveyone... but who would /want/ it to be?
And of course the $$$ will go to the organizers... most likey to Butch Anthony, who owns the farm Doo-Nanny takes place on.
I think this notion that Doo-Nanny should remain "free" is a bit silly, and I wager most other folks will, as well.

--
Ashes To Justice / Will Dockery & Shadowville All-Stars
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TAX Fraud Authorized by IRS, Obama, Obama Admin... 11 hr David53g 1
News Columbus workers protest for pay raise of $15 p... Thu Ronald McD 1
Obama and the democrat's mess Thu Its Bad 1
Adult Theaters (May '13) Apr 15 Txdic36 25
Hillary In Apr 14 Washington 9
Firm Roberts Cafe (Jul '14) Apr 14 Ben Thayer 8
Firm Roberts House Apr 14 Ben Thayer 1
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE