“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#27 Feb 1, 2013
Local wrote:
I know I am not going, how ridiculous is this.
Why do you think they are doing this Panther?
To cover expenses, pay the talent, and make the event pay for itself rather than coming from the Doo-Nanny owner's pocket.

You couldn't figure that one out yourself?

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Smith Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#28 Feb 1, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
To cover expenses, pay the talent, and make the event pay for itself rather than coming from the Doo-Nanny owner's pocket.
You couldn't figure that one out yourself?
--
I think that was for me, Will.

I think they are doing it to make money, plain and simple.
Its not a folksy bohemian gathering anymore, its becoming commercialized and corporate.

----------
$DooNanny$- Stop Festival Greed-$DooNanny$
Smith Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#29 Feb 1, 2013
Robin wrote:
Hmmm, gotta stay away from the drugs, always,
From watching the vids it looks like she is not the only one.
Surprising to me that this stuff would go on in rural Alabama though,that may be why they started charging admission, so they could pay off the sheriff not to bust the drug use.
Think about it, just sayin.
Interesting observation Robin, great to see someone thinking "outside the box"

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#30 Feb 1, 2013
Smith Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not a folksy bohemian gathering anymore, its becoming commercialized and corporate.
----------
What country are you from, Panther?

This is America and everything costs money to produce... nothing here is free, at least not art music and entertainment.

Well, again, if you can't afford to go, sorry... stay home and watch television.

Outsider Folk Art Event
March 29 - March 31, 2013
http://doo-nanny.com/

Doo-Nanny
Begun as a roadside folk art show in 1996, the Doo-Nanny is now located on a beautiful 80 acre farm in Seale, AL, near Columbus, Ga, and includes a wacky "lo-fi" film festival, fun food, and an eclectic assortment of music and activities. Camping is limited and we suggest planning ahead.
......start tying stuff to your roof now.......

Come all ye inventors, movie makers, ballerinas, bikers, morticians, bakers, artists, conspiracy theorists, scientists, foodies, eco-whatevers, moonshiners, comedians, fire-spinners, yodelers, he-shes, animal-trainers, pickle-makers, party girls, sock monkeys, stackers, jugglers, musicians, whittlers, spankers, fisherpersons, beggers, wanderers, and map-makers.......
New this Year!....Krewes!....Sign up for a Krewe. It’s fun and easy.....find out more under the INFO tab!

--
Shadowville Speedway / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#31 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>

great to see someone thinking "outside the box"
Eating Taco Bell again?

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#32 Feb 1, 2013
Port o Lets wrote:
The money must be to cover the rental of port-o-lets. Dopesick people go in their clothes so this may be worth the ten bucks.
Okay, you don't like the Doo-Nanny.

You obviously are not interested in art.

You disrespect the musical and poetry talents performing.

You might as well save that ten bucks and spend it on something you do like, anyhow.

Right?

But no, your agenda here is just another variation of what the New York Times recently reported about the anonymous trolls of Topix.com , obviously the "box' you are in, as I posted earlier today on another, related, situation:

There's a difference between "free speech" and libel, slander and other offensive behavior, and you know it.

No, the situation is nothing like that, this is your usual attempt to misrepresent and smear me on here, and of course I'm back now to correct your lies and set the record straight.

Fair enough?

I know your ilk too well that you'd never admit that events like Hogbottom or Doo-Nanny have any merit, your bitter jealousy wouldn't allow that.

Not at all, I'm a real person, posting under my real identity about real issues. You, on the other hand, are an anonymous, unregistered troll, who spends his days sniffing behind me trying to start an argument.

See the difference?

No, the particular phenomenon of the anonymous trolls that target Topix.com Forums is well defined, as this post made earlier elsewhere today explains, defined by no less than the New York Times.

The "problem and animosity" seems to be a widespread problem with anonymous trolls such as you and others, hiding behind fake names and posting lies and smears against people.

Unfortunately for you, I fight back and correct your lies and misrepresentations about me... and label you for the trash you are. Truth hurts, eh?

The fact is that I'm just a real person posting here, while anonymous trolls such as you whatever fake name you're hiding behind today, create these threads apparently from some obsessed agenda they have to attempt to smear my name, libel, and otherwise misrepresent me. And from further reading, it appears to be a sort of Topix.com phenomenon that some don't seem to be able to deal with as well as I have.

For example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-to...

"...a social media Web site called Topix, where they write and read startlingly negative posts, all cloaked in anonymity, about one another. And in Dee’s Place, people are not happy... called Topix a 'cesspool of character assassination.'[...] In rural America, older, poorer remote population lagged the rest of the country in embracing the Internet, the growing use of social media is raising familiar concerns about bullying and privacy... hubs of unsubstantiated gossip, stirring widespread resentment in communities where ties run deep, memories run long and anonymity is a novel concept.'Something about rural culture seems to make people want to have conversations in public,' Topix, a site lightly trafficked in cities, enjoys a dedicated and growing following across the Ozarks, Appalachia and much of the rural South, establishing an unexpected niche in communities of a few hundred or few thousand people..."

And, of course, there's a difference between free speech and libel. The posts made here and elsewhere on Topix.com by the trolls you asked about generally tend to fall into the latter category.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#34 Feb 2, 2013
Port o Lets wrote:
The money must be to cover the rental of port-o-lets.
Such things as this /do/ have to be paid for... they're not free.

--
See for yourself how the music scene in Columbus-Phenix City then and now, the scene is also thriving with talent of every variety:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RusticViewer07/vi...
both young and old.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#36 Feb 3, 2013
Dew Key Sacks wrote:
If Nanny Doo was free everyone could bring their own
No, as with last year, Doo-Nanny now has a ten dollar admission fee.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#38 Feb 3, 2013
Zack And Josh were right wrote:
Embrace their recommendations. Zack and Josh are wise and know what is best for you.
Remember, Josh Green named one musical act at Doo-Nanny which just theoir set alone was worth ten dollars admission.

Josh also states he is my "friend and fan".

Are you saying you agree with all this, then?

--
Will Dockery backed by The Conley Brothers:
http://youtu.be/v8_Yp-dIPCY

Since: Mar 12

Atlanta, GA

#39 Feb 3, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole mantra of these type events is like a counterculture movement against the conformity of society but they aren't any different, if fact they are worse because they stand for something yet do the opposite (sound familar??) but in reality they are just looking to sell it to who ever will pay $10.00.
Like I said there is nothing at Doo Nanny that is worth $10.00, nothing.
I remember discussing doo nanny last year on here, so its going down hill huh? Not surprised really when people start worrying about the cashflow then the day are numbered.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#40 Feb 3, 2013
_Zipper_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember discussing doo nanny last year on here, so its going down hill huh? Not surprised really when people start worrying about the cashflow then the day are numbered.
Howdy Zipper... sorry about your boy Romney.

Heh...

--
Over You / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://youtu.be/4rvCp_xzWH8

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#41 Feb 3, 2013
_Zipper_ wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, there was a ten dollar charge for Doo-Nanny last year, as well.

--

Since: Mar 12

Atlanta, GA

#42 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
----------
Yeah Panther, we had some people up here who tried the same thing and people quit going.
To go from free to $10.00 is a big jump, most festivalls at lleast try to accept donations first to see if that will go over and surprisingly when enough people love the festival the don't mind contributing.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#43 Feb 3, 2013
_Zipper_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Panther, we had some people up here who tried the same thing and people quit going.
To go from free to $10.00 is a big jump, most festivalls at lleast try to accept donations first to see if that will go over and surprisingly when enough people love the festival the don't mind contributing.
Well, I admit there will probably be less of a crowd than before, since going from free to ten bucks is a bit of a jolt, even moreso in this shaky economy.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#45 Feb 4, 2013
The Law Suit wrote:
Collective defendents as a group proven to have IN CONCERT to have beschmirched, smeared, and defamed the name and GOOD REPUTATION of Doonany and the song writers and the bands on this forum. Monetary compensation with wage garnishments for life shall be the only just compensation for the vile slanderous names and reputations which were and shall remain BEYOND REPROACH. Eric Holder's office must step in to round up IN COURT these, scurrilous LIARS who have dared to come on here and say such outlandish things. Spread the wealth around for sure using the power of the judicial system and the long arm of the law in its endeavor to seek TRUTH AND JUSTICE! All funds seized by the court of law shall be used to restore doonanny and hogbottom to their rightful former glory. There is such a thing as FREE SPEECH but THE NEW YORK TIMES IS RIGHT ABOUT TROLL LIARS SEEKING TO WRECK THE UNTARNISHED NAMES AND GOOD REPUTATIONS OF THE INNOCENT! INNOCENT! Using driver's liscense I.d. to locate established addresses the investigators of this evil crime of the conspirators can be solved! 3:00AM night time arrests and interrogations using water boarding if necessary and Guantanamo-Salad Incarceration shall reveal the names of all who seek by CHATTER to beschmirsch the name of doonanny and its elustrious staff and clientele and the bands and vendors and future and past events including competitors such as hogbottom and any tent, field or coffee house formats or presentations, including and not exclusive to the literary fictional realm of ongoing worlds not yet ascribed through pen to paper and presented for copy right to the library of congress. Amen! Amen! Amen! So it is done, so it shall be! Wear your t-shirt in proud support solidarity with the beschmirched and sullied defamed of the local music scene, its atributes, tributaries and affiliates.
Ask Butch wrote:
Ask Butch if they can have a TRIBUTE CONTEST. The best look a like or sound a like of singers Precious Bryants and Clydes Barker.
Speaking of Doo-nanny, Butch Anthony is making his British debut in a London art gallery shortly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/28/bu...

"For fans of American folk art, Butch Anthony is already a legend. The 48-year-old ‘artist, builder and picker of things’ hosts Doo Nanny, an annual alt/folk art festival that sees people from around the world flock to his 80-acre home in Alabama. There they are free to camp, party and share art in what the New York Times described as a “self-contained universe” full of his own work, featuring, among other things, the ‘Museum of Wonder’– a barn full of art oddities that includes a replica of a human skeleton and ‘the world’s largest gallbladder’. We challenge anyone to watch the video above and not want to pay a visit themselves. Despite his cult status in America (he’s a minor TV star on the History Channel and has been a muse for documentary maker Les Blank for years), Anthony has never exhibited in the UK - until next month. Intertwangelism opens at London's Black Rat Gallery on 7 February and features his work painting over old photographs. The result is a strange mix of nostalgia and pop art that will offer UK visitors a good introduction to the work of one of America’s most eccentric artists..."

--
Smiths Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#46 Feb 4, 2013
_Zipper_ wrote:
<quoted text>
They have another festival called Hogbottom and it accepts donations and all the money goes to charity. You can't tell me that Doo Nanny couldn't be any different. That why I say its all about making money now, not doing something cause you love it.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#47 Feb 4, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
They have another festival called Hogbottom and it accepts donations and all the money goes to charity. You can't tell me that Doo Nanny couldn't be any different. That why I say its all about making money now, not doing something cause you love it.
Excellent point, Panther... I actually agrre with you all the way on that.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#49 Feb 4, 2013
Black Rat Perfect wrote:
THE BLACK RAT GALLERY is a perfect place to exhibit the works from the mind of Butch.
That's the place Bitch is travelling to in London England, if my memory serves me well.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#50 Feb 4, 2013
Typo alert... I meant to write "Butch"!

Since: Dec 12

Valley, AL

#51 Feb 4, 2013
This misconception here is Doo-Nanny has been free.

They've been charging for the past 3 years, people just haven't been paying and they've been bad about having workers up front to receive payment.

Camping hasn't been free for 3 years and then 2 years ago the art show was free, but the Saturday night party/burning of the Doo-Nanny was $10 or $20. Camping (for the weekend) was like $50.

I imagine it'll be the same this year. They say it costs $ but no one pays. Butch has never really tried to make money from Doo-Nanny but I think him breaking even (the bands get paid, supplies cost $, and him and his crew are always trying to build and add new stuff to the grounds) is the goal which is why I don't think they've ever been good about having "staff" up front to take payment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is your favorite Columbus Topixer? (Jun '13) 7 hr Will Dockery 65
Observation 7 hr Will Dockery 2
Nicer neighborhoods (Aug '06) 7 hr Will Dockery 8
Armoni Records of Columbus, GA Announces Signin... 14 hr Will Dockery 7
eufaula resort not a place to visit (Jul '07) 14 hr Will Dockery 4
Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All-Time? (Mar '08) 15 hr Will Dockery 4
Nice Columbus Observations (May '14) 15 hr Will Dockery 24
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak
NFL12:33 PM
Bortles earns 'mostly positive reviews' from Jaguars