Man shot in torso during robbery, expected to recover

Jul 24, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ledger-Enquirer.com

A man shot in the torso during the Monday night robbery of his bicycle is expected to recover, Columbus police said.

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Aug 4, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

A man shot over his bicycle?!?

Doesn't that seem just a little... too much?

I'm reminded of a film I watched years ago, set in a place I didn't see at all as "close to home"... until now:

http://youtu.be/H_DbxqbMOAg

"The Bicycle Thief" was one of the important films that I watched in a little theatre at Ansley Mall in Atlanta back in early 1981... a film set in the desperate days of Post-WW2 Italy. A world very removed from "Modern America"... and no events like this take the cake, this surreal new world bizarre violence & eccentric lusts (arm kissers?)... Science Fiction writers seemed far fetched when they madethings like this up.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Hank wrote:
Funny.
No description of the shooter. I guess we should just look for a guy with a gun.
That did seem a bit odd.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Hank wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really, they do it all the time. People are beginning to think the press is under some sort of government mandate when it comes to giving descriptions in cases of assault and robbery.
I have a pretty good idea what the description would be.
Typical.
A shame that area, McCartha Drive, has degenerated so much in recent years. I have a lot of good memories of many friends on those streets between Steam Mill and Saint Mary's Roads... most of my Carver High classmates were in that area, back in the 1970s.

"Oh yeah, life goes on..."

--
Truck Stop Woman / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://youtu.be/Hv6u6GNe6Kk

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>I recently was talking with an ol buddy of mine down there and brought up the subject of moving back down there.Just to see what he would say.He jumped my chit right quick and told me that one of the best things I ever did was to get the hell out of there.He set Me straight that the Columbus of my youth had long gone south.From keeping up with the Ledger I see his point.Where I live now we have maybe a killing a year and the crime rate is low overall.I got some great memories and I think I'll just keep those and stay where I'm at.
Crime has exploded down here, I hate to say, Reef.

Places like Lakebottom over the last couple of years has had incident after incident from robbery/violence to some pretty horific murders.

One has just come to court that hit us in the music scene hard, the shooting death of our friend singer/radio personality Heath Jackson in his own driveway, off 17th Street just up from Lakebottom.

The accused in that case came up before the judge, and the prosecution is asking for the death penalty... but of course even that won't bring Heath back. The news item came up here recently, but I haven't responded to it yet, perhaps a repost of this there might work. Tough subject to put words to.

If you have that few murders up your way, I reckon you should stay there... and be thankful.

"As Lady and I look out tonight from Desolation Row..."

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>That's a damn shame.Lakebottom used to be the perfect place for a Sunday afternoon football game,picnic or just to hang out with friends.Like I said in my previous post,We only have one MAYBE two murders a year and sometimes we skip a year.Since the pain pill epidemic it has gotten worse with stealing but NOTHING like Columbus is now.I guess everything does change.I saw in the Ledger where Carlton Gary's got a new thing going.I thought that would have ended long ago.That was a wild time in Columbus.My father was with the C.P.D. back then.Do you remember the officer that was killed at Peachtree mall when he walked in on a robbery in progress at that bar that was like an airplane across from Crowley's?That was one of our families closest friends.I think it was called Final Destination's.
I remember that event all too well, and in fact read the entire story online a few months ago. In those days we had some horrendous crimes, but not on such a day-to-day basis as the Columbus-Phenix City area is having now.

Here's the story you remember that took place at the Final Approach Lounge at Peachtree Mall:

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/...

"On Dec. 27, 1976, Spivey shot and killed Charles McCook in a Macon pool hall brawl over $20. Spivey then drove to Columbus and to the Final Approach Lounge at Peachtree Mall. Spivey fatally shot Bill Watson in the head and chest after the off-duty police officer came into the bar to investigate why its door was open beyond the 2 a.m. closing time. The gun shots drew Welton Emmit Allen, the 21-year-old manager of the nearby Briar Rabbit restaurant, into the lounge. Spivey shot Allen five times. Allen survived by playing dead. From the parking lot, Spivey continued shooting and wounded another person. Spivey saw the wounded Allen duck into the Briar Rabbit and fired several more times through a window, hitting an employee of that restaurant, who also survived. Spivey then ordered college professor and part-time bar waitress Mary Jane Davidson to drive him to Alabama. He was captured two miles south of Wedowee, Ala., just before daybreak. Spivey had $360 in cash believed to have come from the bar, along with two guns --- a .38-caliber revolver and a .357 Smith & Wesson that had Watson's name and badge number 197 engraved on the butt..."

BTW, for whatever reasons, Peachtree Mall having late night bars ended years ago... right now, the only thing open for a mile or so along that stretch is the good old Krystal, which I find myself in really often... Peachtree Mall is deserted after about 9pm nowadays. W.D. Crowley's across the way has ben shut down for a decade, Peachtree Pub is now a steakhouse that closes early, Nora Faye Motel was demolished 20 years ago to build massive hotels in place of it, Super 8, and like that. Columbus College is now a University and has grown to cover a huge area sprawling from where it began... and so on and on...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Reef shark wrote:
I remember one of the bar patrons manage to get a shot off that hit the suspect.The next morning I followed his blood trail all the way down the front of the mall to the end of the sidewalk to where,I think it was Gayfers or something like that.I remember the night that all the cops showed up at our house off Macon road to tell the news about Tommy "Spanky" getting killed.He was so young at the time.R.I.P.Spanky.
Here's a new site for me, a Wikipedia of killers, which has Spivey listed:

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s1/spivey-ronal...
SharkHunter

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Sharks are natural born killers.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>Have ya ever read the book "Blood letters and Bad men"?You should check it out when ya can.Some cool facts about some cold men in that book!Thanks for the link.
No, but I'll look it up...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>Thank ya SO much Will!I been trying to research that all morning and the ledger couldn't give me anything past 93.Hard to believe that the peachtree pub closes early!Spent some good times in that joint!I was in Columbus doing a job a few months back and i saw that the Krystal was still in the parking lot of the mall.I still think the one at River road and Manchester expressway was the best!Have eaten at both but to me Krystals were just better back in those days at that locale.I bet that one has been gone for some time now.Hell,it was old when I was a kid!Thanks again Will!
The old Peachtree Pub burned down a long time ago, not even sure how many years, and now Burt's Butcher Shop sits at that spot, good steaks at great prices.

The old River Road Krystal also has been gone for years, as has the 4th Avenue Krystal. The best Krystal around is the Phenix City on on 280 in my opinion. The Manchester Exp. one, in the Peachtree Mall parking lot still puts out some great burgers late at night, though, also.

--
Smith Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
The old Peachtree Pub burned down a long time ago, not even sure how many years, and now Burt's Butcher Shop sits at that spot, good steaks at great prices.
The old River Road Krystal also has been gone for years, as has the 4th Avenue Krystal. The best Krystal around is the Phenix City on on 280 in my opinion. The Manchester Exp. one, in the Peachtree Mall parking lot still puts out some great burgers late at night, though, also.
--
It will also give you a location as Atlanta on their WiFi

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Smith Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
It will also give you a location as Atlanta on their WiFi
Which place, the Peachtree Mall Krystal?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>I looked it up and the hardback version with the jacket is going for 210 bucks and I got it sitting in a box!I think I'll bring that one back out and show it off some!
Wow, must be a real out-of-print Collector's Item now!
Smith Station Panther

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Which place, the Peachtree Mall Krystal?
You know better than that, the one in Phenix City.
I was looking at your screen.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Smith Station Panther wrote:
<quoted text>
You know better than that, the one in Phenix City.
I was looking at your screen.
You were looking at my screen?

Not sure what that means but I don't recall what the Phenix City Krystal WiFi shows for a location... I would assume to would be an Alabama location but you never can tell with the WiFi set ups, I reckon.

I'll have a look next time I'm over there, maybe later this evening.

--

Since: Jul 11

Columbus Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Damn shame, but truthfully this type of incident is actually common don't get me wrong it's not as bad as it was in 08 I'm blessed to say I stayed alive but what people seem to overlook is senseless violence is actually more common over here than some might think. But like I had said on another website I know dudes the same age as me from the same area just about the same circumstances doing life over something that didn't even have to happen like that but keep in mind alot of whats happening city wide is not always reported trust me on that.

Since: Jul 11

Columbus Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Just goes to show things ain't always what they seem in good ol' Columbus.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Ross706 wrote:
Damn shame, but truthfully this type of incident is actually common don't get me wrong it's not as bad as it was in 08 I'm blessed to say I stayed alive but what people seem to overlook is senseless violence is actually more common over here than some might think. But like I had said on another website I know dudes the same age as me from the same area just about the same circumstances doing life over something that didn't even have to happen like that but keep in mind alot of whats happening city wide is not always reported trust me on that.
Yes the news media seem to just focus on random events.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

Ross706 wrote:
Just goes to show things ain't always what they seem in good ol' Columbus.
Any way you look at it times are hard when a man gets shot over a bicycle.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Reef shark wrote:
Nope!Final approach was the name.
Was that the nightclub that sort of had an "airplane" theme, or was that another place..?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Reef shark wrote:
<quoted text>That was it!It had plane seats and the windows had different places on them.The bar in the back was like one that you would find on a 747.Pretty cool concept for back then.You were right before,It was Brer Rabbits across the way back then.Crowley's came later.
Yes, I remember it from observation, back in the 1970s pretty much the only places close to a "nightclub" I went to was Bobby's Bar and Speakeasy, the original one in Wynnton. A time or two to Someplace Else, Inferno Club, but being a teenager I just wasn't much of a bar goer.

Even now, I'm not much on barhopping, usually don't go to a place unless I'm going to be onstage.

--
Music & poetry of Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 18 min Churlish Truths 49,606
Murder suspect Vashon Walker gets $500,000 bond Jul 22 JANICE 1
Who has the BEST pizza is Columbus? (Jan '13) Jul 22 Columbus Insider 56
Fifty Years Ago Today, July 22, 1964 Jul 22 Columbus Insider 1
Who is your favorite Columbus Topixer? (Jun '13) Jul 21 Stanley 62
Is DooNanny really dead? Jul 21 Stanley 137
Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) Jul 21 Stanley 2,700
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••