Next Last
xxxx

Phenix City, AL

#1 Apr 8, 2013
topix=ledger
Smith Station Panthers

Pittsview, AL

#2 Apr 8, 2013
I don't see it. I was registered on at the Ledger online and about half my posts would actually make it.
Here, as long as you don't use words that flag a warning (You will be prompted in red if you are sure you want to post) if you get one of those just click "back" on your browser and remove the offending word and it should post.
Sometimes things get through when maybe someone is disrespectful of someones religion and then someone reports the post and it is usually removed quickly.
Other than that its a free for all, discuss politics or how bad the music is around here, talk about drinking on Sundays or the latest crime,food, etc.
People have been discussing the Columbus mayor pro and con with no censorship.
You can express yourself much more freely here.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#3 Apr 8, 2013
Smith Station Panthers wrote:
I don't see it. I was registered on at the Ledger online and about half my posts would actually make it.
Here, as long as you don't use words that flag a warning (You will be prompted in red if you are sure you want to post) if you get one of those just click "back" on your browser and remove the offending word and it should post.
Sometimes things get through when maybe someone is disrespectful of someones religion and then someone reports the post and it is usually removed quickly.
Other than that its a free for all, discuss politics or how bad the music is around here, talk about drinking on Sundays or the latest crime,food, etc.
People have been discussing the Columbus mayor pro and con with no censorship.
You can express yourself much more freely here.
Absolutely... as far as free political speech, be it local or international, we've seen it all here, as we both well know, Panther.

Topix.com doesn't consider personal attacks, slander, libel and so on "free speech" though, and that sort of thing gets deleted a.s.a.p.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Rex in Rex

United States

#5 Apr 9, 2013
xxxx wrote:
topix=ledger
Hey, when you see the red warning you need to start all over cause I've seen if you fix the post and still post it, it's already marked and won't post.
Smiths Station Panthers

Pittsview, AL

#6 Apr 9, 2013
Rex in Rex wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, when you see the red warning you need to start all over cause I've seen if you fix the post and still post it, it's already marked and won't post.
Also I have learned that if you are banned or shadowed banned, you can still see your posts, just no one else can, and they still count toward the total number.
I wonder how many people here are continuing to post not knowing no one can see their posts. Thats kinda bad I think, they should just ban them and not allow any posting but I think Topix can get more advertising with reports of good numbers of posts so they keep the banned in the mix, crazy.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#7 Apr 9, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
Also I have learned that if you are banned or shadowed banned, you can still see your posts, just no one else can, and they still count toward the total number.
I wonder how many people here are continuing to post not knowing no one can see their posts. Thats kinda bad I think, they should just ban them and not allow any posting but I think Topix can get more advertising with reports of good numbers of posts so they keep the banned in the mix, crazy.
Seems that if you're logged out you should be able to see the page the way everyone else does, though, right?

“I see you”

Since: Oct 10

CSU

#8 Apr 9, 2013
<quoted text>
You know why all the CSU people are not on here that much anymore? Because they ban the IP address, so all the WIFI in the dorms is banned from Topix. It really lessened the amount of input that was on here all because of Wilhelmina and her BF,s fun and someone who complained about it.
That,s the bad thing about banning is pretty soon there is no one left to talk about much except people who post here from other parts of the country.
Glad to see you are still holding things down Panther.
Have a great day!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#9 Apr 9, 2013
___Lorri___ wrote:
<quoted text>
You know why all the CSU people are not on here that much anymore? Because they ban the IP address, so all the WIFI in the dorms is banned from Topix. It really lessened the amount of input that was on here all because of Wilhelmina and her BF,s fun and someone who complained about it.
That,s the bad thing about banning is pretty soon there is no one left to talk about much except people who post here from other parts of the country.
Have a great day!
Well, the solution was simple, and should have been avoided from the start, as with each post, Topix.com posts the statement that the writer is assumed to be agreeing with:

"Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator..."

So the poster has to ask themselves... did they follow the rules, or did they go out of bounds with their post?

That's it... almost a no-brainer:

Play Nice.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
Smiths Station Panthers

Pittsview, AL

#10 Apr 10, 2013
___Lorri___ wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a great day!
Thanks Lorri. I have to agree with you that the whole situation you spoke of was much ado over nothing. Harmless fun, too bad for the over reaction and the dorm wifi was blocked.
Nice to see you back posting some.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#11 Apr 10, 2013
<quoted text>

Harmless fun
It all turned out harmless in the end, anyhow... heh.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#12 Apr 10, 2013
Rex in Rex wrote:
<quoted text>
True, and of course, just write material that isn't offensive, libelous, slanderous or a personal attack to begin with and you can always avoid being in the situation in the first place.

As Topix.com notes with each post, before you hit "Post Comment":

"Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator..."

And as Rex writes... "Think before you post."

--
xxx

Phenix City, AL

#14 Apr 11, 2013
If you were to attempt to read all of Will Dockery"s post on the Columbus Forum,it would take 7 days,to do the same for Columbus and the valley 3 weeks,to try to define what was said in any one post, a lifetime.
Solution

Columbus, GA

#15 Apr 11, 2013
xxx wrote:
If you were to attempt to read all of Will Dockery"s post on the Columbus Forum,it would take 7 days,to do the same for Columbus and the valley 3 weeks,to try to define what was said in any one post, a lifetime.
Its best just to ignore him and pretend he doesn't exist.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#16 Apr 11, 2013
Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
That's absolutely the best idea, something I knew and practiced months ago.

Maybe they'll listen to you and wise up a bit, eh?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#17 Apr 11, 2013
xxx wrote:
Well, it comes down to whether the post interest you or not.

If you don't find them interesting, skip them and move along to something you do find interesting.

Simple enough, wot?

--
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#18 Apr 11, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it comes down to whether the post interest you or not.
If you don't find them interesting, skip them and move along to something you do find interesting.
Simple enough, wot?
--
What does one need to say to get banned? seems like they are pretty leniate.Free speech reigns on topix,do you agree?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#19 Apr 11, 2013
columbus native wrote:
<quoted text>What does one need to say to get banned? seems like they are pretty leniate.Free speech reigns on topix,do you agree?
Well, it seems to be resulting from recent events in which Topix.com was in the news over trolls harassing and smearing the names of "real life" people.

For example, here's a piece in the New York Times on one instance of this going on:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-to...

"...a social media Web site called Topix, where they write and read startlingly negative posts, all cloaked in anonymity, about one another. And in Dee’s Place, people are not happy... called Topix a 'cesspool of character assassination.'[...] In rural America, older, poorer remote population lagged the rest of the country in embracing the Internet, the growing use of social media is raising familiar concerns about bullying and privacy... hubs of unsubstantiated gossip, stirring widespread resentment in communities where ties run deep, memories run long and anonymity is a novel concept.'Something about rural culture seems to make people want to have conversations in public,' Topix, a site lightly trafficked in cities, enjoys a dedicated and growing following across the Ozarks, Appalachia and much of the rural South, establishing an unexpected niche in communities of a few hundred or few thousand people..."

And, of course, there's a difference between free speech and libel. The posts made here and elsewhere on Topix.com by the trolls you asked about generally tend to fall into the latter category.

--
domino

Phenix City, AL

#20 Apr 11, 2013
Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. All he is here for is to promote that hideous music anyway.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#21 Apr 11, 2013
domino wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. All he is here for is to promote that hideous music anyway.
Yet here you are again... unable to think of anything else!

--
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#22 Apr 12, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it seems to be resulting from recent events in which Topix.com was in the news over trolls harassing and smearing the names of "real life" people.
For example, here's a piece in the New York Times on one instance of this going on:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-to...
"...a social media Web site called Topix, where they write and read startlingly negative posts, all cloaked in anonymity, about one another. And in Dee’s Place, people are not happy... called Topix a 'cesspool of character assassination.'[...] In rural America, older, poorer remote population lagged the rest of the country in embracing the Internet, the growing use of social media is raising familiar concerns about bullying and privacy... hubs of unsubstantiated gossip, stirring widespread resentment in communities where ties run deep, memories run long and anonymity is a novel concept.'Something about rural culture seems to make people want to have conversations in public,' Topix, a site lightly trafficked in cities, enjoys a dedicated and growing following across the Ozarks, Appalachia and much of the rural South, establishing an unexpected niche in communities of a few hundred or few thousand people..."
And, of course, there's a difference between free speech and libel. The posts made here and elsewhere on Topix.com by the trolls you asked about generally tend to fall into the latter category.
--
Would calling george w bush a six foot stack of texas horsechit qualify as smearing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) 39 min Will Dockery 3,043
News Why I still love this community 6 hr Will Dockery 42
Is Columbus a good place to live? (Sep '08) 6 hr Will Dockery 3,233
Mayors tattoos (May '16) 8 hr George John 13
Smelly poops 11 hr Flatulence Hunter 1
News Presidential endorsements: now therea s a touch... 12 hr Diamonds7156 10
News PBA donates items for abused women at Hope Harbour 12 hr Washana 2

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance