Is it legal to strip search a minor at school?

Posted in the Columbia Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9

Since: Sep 11

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2011

A friend just called and said their son, 15 years old was strip searched at school. The parents were NEVER notified. The only way they found out was late last evening their son went to his mother and told her. Apparently the boy was implicated by another student as having pot on him. So the school police office pulled him out of class, took him in a room and made him strip. Once they found nothing on him they sent him back to class. How is this legal? Shouldn't the parents have been called? Any kid with a beef with another student could say the same thing and the school will strip search your child! This was at Spring Hill High school.
AbuseNOT

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Damn right it is illegal. A total stripping of the student? No way. You probably have a good civil liberties lawsuit agains everyone imvolved. Just because it's at the school doesn't mean jack.
False search, as they found nothing. Probable cause? Word of another student?? This one is a no brainer, see a lawyer.
Whether the kid used drugs or not, that's not the point. You have no right to strip search a minor.
The reason crap like this happens is that no one takes a stand against it. Do nothing, and it will continue to happen.
Steve

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

AbuseNOT wrote:
Damn right it is illegal. A total stripping of the student? No way. You probably have a good civil liberties lawsuit agains everyone imvolved. Just because it's at the school doesn't mean jack.
False search, as they found nothing. Probable cause? Word of another student?? This one is a no brainer, see a lawyer.
Whether the kid used drugs or not, that's not the point. You have no right to strip search a minor.
The reason crap like this happens is that no one takes a stand against it. Do nothing, and it will continue to happen.
Yeah..that's the way it these days SUE SUE ..maybe if there were better parents and disciplined our kids the RIGHT way instead of defending them and looking for a way to make a quick buck we wouldn't have disrespect from kids and the problem as we do today. We have kids robbing and killing because we have parents and lawyers willing to defend them and find a way to sue for a quick buck !! This world is going to hell quick because of todays parents and lawyers !! GOOD LUCK in the next gerneration !!
Abuse NOT

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Steve, cool your jets junior. I can agree to part of what you say, about the parents not raising their kids right. It still doesn't give any so called school authority the right to search your kid. There are ways to do a search if wrongdoing is suspected, didn't you know? I thought we still live in a country where you have rights. You don not live in a country where a police state exists.
Bottom line is everybody is considered innocent and must be given due process.
If a cop stopped you and wanted to search you because he thought you were doing 'something illegal, then wanted to search your home would you let him do it? You may be innocent, but that's NOT the point. There is a process they need to follow. Same as the school search.
The reason I mentioned lawsuit is because the search was already done. What if the kid was innocent? Huh? Yes, suing and legal litigation is still a right that citizens have aginst abuse of power. Deal with it!

Your tirade about whacko kids has some merit, most of us will agree whatyou say is true. Again, there are rules you have to follow, and that can be a good thing. Listen, how many times have you heard of a situation where a kid did a crime, but procedure was not followed? Many I am sure. The cases are thrown out, the kid goes free to commit crimes again. Procedure is something that has to be followed. All in all, your rant has little relivance, and does not address the original poster's question.
If the kid in question is guilty, follow the rules for search and trial,and if proven guilty, then punishment is needed. If rules are not followed, then litigation may be needed to set an example to so the procedure correctly.
ALLBS

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

every post in this thread is BS, no one here is real...get off of your computer and talk to your kid
RealDeal

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

I think you are the only one that's BS here. Maybe you wish your mommy and daddy would talk to you.
I guess you'd let anyone just pull YOU aside and search you, even of you knew you were innocent, right?
jaret

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

your an idiot it just happened to my 7th grader all because the other little bitch likes his girlfriend my son plays every sport he has all A with the exception of one B and he's also a teachers aid in two classes and on of them he's helping with the mentally challenged and the same exact day I received an email from the school about how well he's doing and he's a great role model for the other students. And yeah I am one of those fathers who have been there from day one and he has no choice but to do good and I don't sit there and always believe everything he say's and when he fucks up trust me I make him own up to what he did like a man no matter what the consequences are.So for your comment is bullshit the little jealous bitch is the one who needs to learn some respect and not and try and bring someone down just becarse they themselves are ignorant some what like YOU!!!!
Whit Warden

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Rainrain wrote:
A friend just called and said their son, 15 years old was strip searched at school. The parents were NEVER notified. The only way they found out was late last evening their son went to his mother and told her. Apparently the boy was implicated by another student as having pot on him. So the school police office pulled him out of class, took him in a room and made him strip. Once they found nothing on him they sent him back to class. How is this legal? Shouldn't the parents have been called? Any kid with a beef with another student could say the same thing and the school will strip search your child! This was at Spring Hill High school.
I swear I'm not trying to "perv out" on this, but do you have any
details on the nature of the search?
For Example: Was he made to be COMPLETELY nude?
Were there women in the room?
Did they do a cavity search?
In many searches they'll have a 2nd person in the
room to serve as a witness, but were there others
present beyond that?
Was he touched between his waist and knees?

I don't want to encourage anyone to be greedy, but if one or more
of these aggravating factors took place, it's HIGHLY likely that
your friend could successfully sue the school, especially IF their
son has no prior history of drug infractions or MAJOR discipline
problems. IF schools got sued every time they allowed their
students to be subjected to invasive (and groundless) searches,
eventually schools would wise up and stop allowing it to happen.

It would be FANTASTIC if schools protected their students from this
treatment out of the goodness of their hearts, but if they ended up
having to pay for this young man's college education, perhaps THAT
would be a more effective motivator? Best of luck to all of you,
and PLEASE post a follow-up with more information!
James

Davis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Mar 29

Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah..that's the way it these days SUE SUE ..maybe if there were better parents and disciplined our kids the RIGHT way instead of defending them and looking for a way to make a quick buck we wouldn't have disrespect from kids and the problem as we do today. We have kids robbing and killing because we have parents and lawyers willing to defend them and find a way to sue for a quick buck !! This world is going to hell quick because of todays parents and lawyers !! GOOD LUCK in the next gerneration !!
Shut your face, this is a democracy if you even know what that means. Equal rights for all. Schools are going too far in to the invasion of students rights and no one is taking a stand. School systems are going to shit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Discussions

Search the Columbia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TN Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns (Oct '10) 23 min NTMD8OR 58,308
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 27 min NTMD8OR 123,669
2014 Marshall County Elections 35 min paul 66
School Board Mayhem (May '10) 1 hr agreed 355
director of schools (Jan '12) 1 hr important 354
MCHS Softball coach caught! 2 hr important 31
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr Armadillo 8,450
•••

Freeze Warning for Maury County was issued at April 15 at 3:36PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Columbia Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
•••