Clyde, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

The "shelter" killed four healthy dogs today. They will say that they are overcrowded, but there have been more dogs there than this today and they didn't kill them.

And another mama dog - Molly - is set to be killed at 7 am if someone isn't at the door at 7 am with money in hand to adopt her.

I hear that one of the dog catchers makes $50,000 with the overtime. Overtime for what? The volunteers feed the dogs, take the photos, post the dogs, exercise the dogs, adopt out dogs and even clean their poop. The dog catchers just go and round up dogs to kill.

What if the city took some of my tax dollars and hired someone to find homes for the dogs and didn't just rely on a couple of volunteers to do that work? That's how I want my tax dollars spent - not on dog catchers who hang out with their buddies and chat all day and then grab dogs only to have them killed.

The volunteers try, but they are just that - volunteers - it's not their job, so the dogs suffer. The innocent dogs are the ones that pay the ultimate price.

They are going back to their old killing ways. And all hell will break loose again when they do. Watch next week. The "shelter" is filling up and the volunteers can't find homes for all the dogs.

I see a bloodbath of innocent dogs in the future.

Please contact the city and ask them to HIRE someone to find homes for the dogs. Remember, this is our tax dollars. They get revenue IN when dogs are adopted. They lose revenue when they just kill them. 5415
TNMom

Hermitage, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

As a lifelong Tennessean, I'm ashamed of Lewisburg for their treatment of animals. The shelter needs someone on staff who actually CARES about the welfare and lives of the animals there. As it is now, they kill for no reason, almost as if for their amusement. They cite lack of space, when cages are empty. They set unrealistic deadlines on animals to be adopted and if someone asks for an extension, shelter staff are unwilling to give it to save a life. They'd rather kill, being unwilling to make any real effort to save lives. If someone is going to work in a shelter environment and they don't care about animals, they need to be fired! And if a dogcatcher is being paid $50,000 a year, someone is milking the system for their own benefit and it has nothing to do with animal welfare! That money can and should be MUCH better spent on a person who has the desire to and WILL make a difference!

Since: Apr 13

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Hearing this today made me sick. Four count them 4 healthy dogs were killed. There was available space. My opinion as to why they were killed is that they were Pit Bulls. There are so many in this county and more time is needed to find rescues and adopters for these furbabies. I hope and pray that Lewisburg Animal Shelter does not go back to their killing ways. I will once again join in making it known very loudly. I will admit the shelter has made strides so why were these dogs killed when there was available space. They can't say they had to keep them on separate runs as these dogs were abandoned together so they knew each other. To the city of Lewisburg, Marshall County and the ACOs that are employed. We are still watching. As for the overtime I am with the other two people who posted here. Why?
rover

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

I totally agree with everyone else that has commented here. Dogs were needlessly killed today. The City needs to hire someone to oversee the placement with rescues or adoption of all of the dogs.
Meat is meat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

I'm more worried about starving children than a dog. Dogs could be used to feed the hungry in 3rd world countries.

People get upset about stinking flea infested dogs but could care less about hungry kids or the murdering mothers who abort their children.

I truly believe pet lovers are borderline psychotic. Who says the dog wants to be your pet anyway? Slavery!
Crazies

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Who cares?

With so many REAL problems in the world I could care less. It's just a dog. What makes them more special than the cows, pigs or chickens that we slaughter for food?

Natives eat dog.
John Jon

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Stop breeding! It drives me crazy when I see people on fb begging for other people to adopt these mutts & they don't adopt 1 for themselves. They own more than 1 pure bred and say they don't have room or else they would.(liars!) As long as people buy pure breeds there will be killing at shelters. Fact!
you pay

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

ok you want them to hire someone, you give them the money to hire someone, oh it is diff now.....they cant even fix our roads and you want them to hire another person for the dog pound, i think not, not with my tax money. you want to save every dog then buy a farm. it is ok you feel the way you do about dogs , but do not think thats what we all want. save a few put a few to sleep thats the chain. all dogs can not be saved. what about the cats we never hear you say anything about those poor things. some of you start a cause and thats how you see your self as getting known, well aint going to happen here, folks will have a fit if they knew how much cash was spent on that place
Now is the Time

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Now is the time before the election, to talk to those running for Mayor and get them to comment in writing they will make the dog pound, a dog shelter and stop the killings of the poor lost dogs!

How about the City offer supplement health insurance and a small fee to retired volunteers, older people who don't need the job but love animals and dogs turn the whole dog pound operation over to those, under board supervision?
Use dog lovers for volunteer dog catchers?
Offer free or reduced spade and neutering prices to all county residents!
Cut the adoption fees to $10 00!

Will the next Mayor and his wife, who some hear loves animals and helping homeless people will be more interested in saving homeless animals than beautifying side walks in front of X Mayor's empty lots, and restoring empty buildings around town.

Would that money the city got from the overcharged street lights hundreds of thousands of dollars gone a long way on moving, and improving the dog pound making a dog shelter and saving most all the dogs that are being killed?

Would folks have a bigger fit, if they knew how much was wasted, mismanaged or maybe even stole right from before the Mayors and City Council eyes?
Here you go

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Let's see who will do this. Have a sign up sheet, where everyone who is concern about lost/unwanted dogs can list their bank account number or credit card and let them pay for the cost of keeping each lost dog alive. When that money isn't there, you kill however many dogs is necessary in order to pay for the live ones. That way, it will be up to those who are whining about keeping unwanted dogs alive to put their money where their mouth is.

So many hate to see the dogs have to be killed just as so many hate to see any life wasted, BUT... there comes a time when common sense must prevail. Look what happens to those crazy ladies who have a hundred cats/dogs/rabbits or whatever living in their house all because they can't bare to let them parish. The key word here is "crazy". You can't go around like german gestapo making sure no is letting their female dogs breed in order to stop the cycle, so the only thing is to dump the waste. Sorry. That does sound cruel, but the only other option is to save every lost, unwanted dog and SOMEBODY has to PAY for that luxury.

So, all in favor of stopping the killing line up with your pocket books and pay up!! Or shut up!!
response

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Here you go wrote:
Let's see who will do this. Have a sign up sheet, where everyone who is concern about lost/unwanted dogs can list their bank account number or credit card and let them pay for the cost of keeping each lost dog alive. When that money isn't there, you kill however many dogs is necessary in order to pay for the live ones. That way, it will be up to those who are whining about keeping unwanted dogs alive to put their money where their mouth is.
So many hate to see the dogs have to be killed just as so many hate to see any life wasted, BUT... there comes a time when common sense must prevail. Look what happens to those crazy ladies who have a hundred cats/dogs/rabbits or whatever living in their house all because they can't bare to let them parish. The key word here is "crazy". You can't go around like german gestapo making sure no is letting their female dogs breed in order to stop the cycle, so the only thing is to dump the waste. Sorry. That does sound cruel, but the only other option is to save every lost, unwanted dog and SOMEBODY has to PAY for that luxury.
So, all in favor of stopping the killing line up with your pocket books and pay up!! Or shut up!!
You think people don't donate to these dogs? Wasn't there just a ton of renovations? Didn't the majority of that come from Donations of time and money and materials? There were tons of volunteers getting animals adopted best they could. That office makes things very difficult to work with.
Prepper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

I'm more worried about how my family is going to survive the coming economic collapse. I could care less about some mutt. What kills me is a lot of the idiots on welfare have pets! Talk about stupidity!
pet lover

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Meat is meat wrote:
I'm more worried about starving children than a dog. Dogs could be used to feed the hungry in 3rd world countries.
People get upset about stinking flea infested dogs but could care less about hungry kids or the murdering mothers who abort their children.
I truly believe pet lovers are borderline psychotic. Who says the dog wants to be your pet anyway? Slavery!
Sorry pal, you are a loser. I feel sorry for you. A pet could not even be your friend.
I like dogs

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

pet lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pal, you are a loser. I feel sorry for you. A pet could not even be your friend.
Don't know why you people are such losers. I think dog is great with the right gravy and some risotto. Of course only red wine will do. You asinine people have no appreciation of these animals and would rather see them tied down with chains or locked behind fences like prisoners. And THAT is what you call civil???? And then you have the audacity to call me bad because I see animals for what they are. You can make a pet of any animal just as you can make any animal a great plate of food. But no, you ninnies would rather shove these poor animals from one harsh environment to the next and then instead of utilizing them for food, shoot them full of drugs and add them to the dump. And you call yourself a pet lover. No, you are just another abuser. As long as YOU don't have to see the poor animal being abused you are the happy camper. Along with the goat festival, we should have a dog festival so people can see that they taste just as good!
Save the Dogs

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Where is the City / County animal board, which is on it, and do any listen or know how the dog pound is being operated?

Should people blame the people who operate the Lewisburg Dog Pound or the public officials who if look the other way and allow the dogs killed?

Vote in Office a Mayor and public officials who are willing to appoint people to the animal board and hire people willing to stop the killing make it a dog shelter not a killing place!

Lower the adoption fees to $10.00
Offer free spade and neuter programs!
Require a county licenses for every dog owned in the county to pay for that!

Got 1 dog $10 - got 10 dogs $100 dollars paid every year!

Use volunteer part time dog catchers, like the senior citizens bus drivers and pay only part time help minimum wages!

Bid vet service and or require itemized bills!

The Lewisburg Dog pound could be operated much cheaper and even possibly makes money!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Discussions

Search the Columbia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Miss Marshall County 2014 11 min very concerned-honest 11
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 12 min BOiaF 138,524
steve konz 20 min Seriously 2
Hillary Clinton in 2016! 24 min hold the horses 5
Maury County Sheriff 2014 (Sep '13) 29 min dont judge 395
Highway 5O Drive In 32 min Drive In forever 42
Democrats To Hold Fish Fry @ Saddle Creek 1 hr john wayne 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000